Home | Reviews | Pump | Topeak

Topeak Road Morph Pump with Gauge Pump

3.93/5 (28 Reviews)

TheTopeak 2000 Road Morph quite literally morphs from a lightweight frame pump into a stable and sturdy floor pump. It makes filling up high pressure roadTires a breeze.The secretToThisTransformation isThe paddedT-handle andThe fold down foot pad.The Road Morph also hasThe abilityTo pump presta and shraeder valves.The pump head has a lockingThumb lever and in-line gauge. Frame attachment hardware includedConvertible head for presta or shraederInline air gaugeFold down foot pad Aluminum barrel

Submitted by wamcneil a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2010

Strengths:    Good compromise between small size and utility. Enough pressure for road tires and enough volume for mountain.

Weaknesses:    Gauge might not be very accurate, but you can't really expect an accurate gauge in a small pump.

Bottom Line:
This is a pretty good little pump and it does its job well. I carry in my gear bag so I can always have a pump available before the ride. It's small enough to always carry in the bag, but big enough that it is not a total pain to use.
I carry CO2 on the ride for flats, so I don't usually carry this pump on the bike, but it works pretty well strapped up alongside the frame or in a backpack.
The little linear pressure gauge is probably not the most accurate gauge in the world, but it's a lot better than no gauge and I don't know how it could be improved while still keeping it compact.
My wife ran over the pressure gauge/presta end this morning, so I was pretty irritated (until I realized it was my fault it wound up under the car...). But then I called Topeak's customer support number and they're shipping me a new hose/presta assy for about $10 delivered!

Favorite Trail:   Jack Brooks

Purchased At:   Don't remember...

Similar Products Used:   CO2, mini pumps, frame pumps

Bike Setup:   Cannondale f3000sl

Submitted by jabpn a Cross Country Rider from Kzoo, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2009

Strengths:    The only pump I've found that will actually let you get your road tires to correct PSI with not to much effort.

Weaknesses:    Seals and heat generation.

Bottom Line:
When this pump works it works very well. For the most part I haven't had any issues. However, the time I did have an issue I was out on mile 45 on a 50 mile there and then 50 back ride. What happened was that one of the O-ring seals was shot. It was getting caught in the pump action and wouldn't seal. Going slow, taking the pump apart and lubing the seal with spit allowed me to get enough air in the tire to eventually make it home...barely.

When I got home I went to my local hardware store and found some metric O-rings to replace the old ones and then made sure to lube the barrel and O-rings with some silicone grease. I'm not sure but I think the high temperatures involved in pumping to high pressures gradually softens the O-rings to the point that they start leaving skid marks on the barrel like a bad rubber shoe on a gymnasium floor. Eventually the O-rings are pulled and ground down to the point they become useless. Every year now I make sure that the pump has new grease. I haven't had a problem since the O-ring replacement.

Other than this issue the pump has worked great and I like being able to pump my road tires up to full riding pressure so I don't have to cut rides short. I have the pump mounted on my top tube and I don't notice it in the least when I'm riding. I highly recommend this pump for a road rider and to be on the safe side I now carry a couple of extra O-rings and small tube of grease in my saddle bag just in case. If one had to you can break the pump down in the field and replace all the parts if you have them on hand.

Favorite Trail:   Potowatami

Purchased At:   AEBike.com

Similar Products Used:   Topeak Master Blaster, Planet Bike Ozone, a few others

Bike Setup:   KHS Flite 3.0

Submitted by Harry Levins a Weekend Warrior from Grand Ledge, MI

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2009

Strengths:    Over 30+ years of cycling (40,000+ miles?), this is the only bicycle pump I've owned that can easily inflate to 120 psi without fear of damaging the inner tube stem.

Weaknesses:    For most bikes and bicyclists, none that I am aware of. I have read other reviewers' concerns about fragility, but I did not experience that. I carried the pump about 4,000 road miles and used it just a few times without problems.

Bottom Line:
Best pump I've owned.

Favorite Trail:   Skyline Drive

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Bike Setup:   Specialized carbon fiber Epic Comp racing bicycle, recently "retired" after 17 riding seasons.

Submitted by Rocky a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, pumps up to a high pressure.

Weaknesses:    Falls apart easily.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to use this on a bike trip across Japan. Within the first week it started to fall apart. First the fold out lever to step on broke, then the high pressure blow out valve failed, then the handle to attach to the the tire valve fell off. I wrote to the company about the product, they never returned an answer.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Submitted by Chainleg a Weekend Warrior from Farmington, Wi USA

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2008

Strengths:    Small , light weight, easy to attach and remove, great in emergencies

Weaknesses:    Very hard to read gauge, head sometimes loosens up

Bottom Line:
For the money the best emergency pump. Until,,, the turbo morph with dial gauge, looks promising.

Favorite Trail:   Canon valley

Purchased At:   GSP Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Smaller pumps

Bike Setup:   Road

Submitted by Pam a Racer from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2008

Strengths:    When it works it works great

Weaknesses:    rarely ever works, deflates your tire if it has air, does not stay connected to valve, would be useless in a race. Takes forever to inflate if it does work, which is rare.

Bottom Line:
I would not recommend to anyone, totally unreliable

Favorite Trail:   Road

Similar Products Used:   Road Master Blaster

Bike Setup:   Trek 1600

Submitted by Taylor a Cross Country Rider from Provo, Ut, USA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2008

Strengths:    Pumps air very well when it works!

Weaknesses:    I didn't even get to use this pump. I got it so that I wouldn't be stranded out in the middle of nowhere however, when I did need to use it the clip that holds it in place had fallen off on the trail somewhere. So much for being reliable.

Bottom Line:
Don't get this pump unless you want to keep track of all the small pieces as they fall off on the trail!

Favorite Trail:   Lambert Park

Purchased At:   Amazon

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500

Submitted by Chucko a Weekend Warrior from Silicon Valley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2007

Strengths:    Valve head on hose prevents tearing up valve stems, allows pushing against ground. Built-in gauge saves time and trouble. Reasonably ergonomic pump handle.

Weaknesses:    Gauge sticks, not all that accurate. Fold-out "foot" kind of flimsy. Valve head flops around a bit on Presta valves, but stays sealed.

Bottom Line:
This pump has proved its worth to me recently, as I've suffered a series of thorn and glass punctures on my commute bike. It has no trouble pumping slick tires into the 90 PSI range very quickly, and with no worries about buggering the valve. The gauge shouldn't be considered authoritative, as it tends to move in 10 PSI increments, but it will get you into the ballpark. On the whole this pump isn't perfect, but it's plenty useful. I consider this the current benchmark for on-the-bike tire pumps.

Favorite Trail:   Saratoga Gap

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn Mini Mtn Pump, Zefal Double Blaster, other Topeak Morph pumps

Bike Setup:   Ex-MTB POS commute bike

Submitted by Matthew from Olympia, Washington, USA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2007

Strengths:    Great design concept with the floor pump style and extendable hose; gauge is great to have

Weaknesses:    Some cheapness in material, I though. The plastic fold out part that makes it a floor pump broke off after about 6 months.

Bottom Line:
I just wish it were sturdier. I'd pay 10 extra dollars for a more solid version of this design.

Purchased At:   Olybikes

Bike Setup:   2 wheels, frame, seat, cogs, chain...

Submitted by North Fork Steve a Cross Country Rider from Camp Connell, CA

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2007

Strengths:    Ease of use in pumping up to 100 psi compared to handheld pumps, there is no other portable pump on the market that I am aware of that compares with the ease of use of this pump when inflating high pressure tires.

Weaknesses:    Unreliable gauge on my two year old Road Morph. It was unreliable when I purchased it. They may have solved this problem, or mine may have been just bad luck.

Bottom Line:
This is a superbly designed portable pump that makes pumping skinny tires to 100 p.s.i. a breeze. I used to sweat and struggle using my tradition Silca portable pump. I had to hold the wheel just right so I didn't damage the Presta valve stem, while I pumped with all my might. The ability to place the Road Morph on the ground and stabilize it with my foot, and then push straight down on the handle makes it easy to inflate tires to 100 p.s.i. The flexible hose works great. True, the hose is short, but that just means I have to rotate the tire so the valve is at the bottom near the ground. No big deal.

It does have delicate parts, so I am careful with the pump, and use it ONLY as needed on the road. I have not had any parts break in two years of steady use. It pumps both Presta and Shrader valves without any leakage, and it is easy to convert from presta to shrader configuration and back again. At home, I ALWAYS use a regular floor pump.

My only criticism is the gauge, which was unreliable from the day I bought it. If I take three successive pressures, it gives three different readings, so I have to carry a separate gauge no matter what. I bought my Road Morph two or three years ago, so I cannot testify to its current reliability. I have addressed this problem by ordering another hose directly from Topeak without the gauge. Topeak's customer service, by the way, is the best in the industry. You call them, and they solve your problem. That's been my experience on several occasions.

I will continue to carry a separate handheld gauge which is a good idea anyway. That way I can measure pressure in my bike and those of friends without having to hook up the pump, and I'll have the pump when I need it to inflate my tires. The overall weight of a Road Morph without a gauge and the separate gauge will be just about the same at the Road Morph with the gauge, because the gauge on the Road Morph is not super lightweight.

I use the Road Morph for both my moutain and road bikes. I would not get a Mountain Morph because the larger diameter tube of the Mountain Morph would make it harder to pump tires to 100 psi. Plus I don't notice it takes me long to pump up high volume 2.3 inch mountain bike tires with my Road Morph.

I am giving this pump 5 and 5 rating, even in spite of the gauge issue, because there simply is no other portable pump I am aware of that can so easily inflate skinny tires to 100 psi. Its design is clean and intelligent, it's inexpensive, the valve head hooks up to Presta and Shrader valves easily and without air leakage, and Topeak's customer service is first rate.

Similar Products Used:   Venerable Silca portable pump.

Bike Setup:   Castelleno Mtn Bike, Bruce Gordon touring bike

Submitted by Mr. Cheney from ny, ny, usa

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2006

Strengths:    See below

Weaknesses:    See below

Bottom Line:
Question:

I'm a bike idiot and I can't figure out how to convert this from Schrader to Presta. Suggestions?

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   See below

Bike Setup:   See below

Submitted by Half-Fast Biker a Weekend Warrior from Hollidaysburg, PA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2006

Strengths:    Ease of use, quality, built-in gauge, easy removal of pump from it's frame mount.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't cook, clean, or iron my clothes.

Bottom Line:
Easy to use...much more so than the old style frame mount pumps like the Zefals I used to have, I HATED getting flats with those old pumps, with this one it's more like carrying a floor pump around with you. I remember the time I was using the Zefal and the bike fell over from the force of me using the pump...nothing like having the tube's valve stem stap off to make your day !. No more of that nonsense with the Topeak.

Favorite Trail:   Great Allegheny Passage

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Zefal frame mount pumps....Grrrr !.

Bike Setup:   1990 Schwinn 434 Aluminum road bike

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Eureka

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2005

Strengths:    One handed pumping. High pressures with minimal effort. Fills tires much faster than those little thingys.

Weaknesses:    My only complaint was the size of it. But if you want fast high pressure pumping you have to concede somewhere. It still fit in my camelback mule though that was its ultimate demise. It snagged on a tree limb and was yanked out. I didn't notice it was gone until my next ride when one of my riding buddies found it on the trail we were riding. Some animal had chewed the hose off.

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent pump for its intended purposes. Anybody complaining about the lack of durability needs to keep in mind it's not designed to be your home floor pump. It's for on the road or trail. I fixed plenty of flats with it before it met it's untimely end. I'm looking for my best deal on another one right now.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   I've used nothing which compared to the Topeak road morph.

Submitted by chris a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2005

Strengths:    Can get it up to 100psi no problem,
Less work than typical minipumps

Bottom Line:
2 years using this pump and it is still great. My wife is sick of hearing me say that everytime I pump up my tires. This is an awesome pump. It's nice to have a gauge on the pump.

Purchased At:   northpark, san diego