Home | Reviews | Pump | Topeak

Topeak Pocket Shock DXG Pump

4.27/5 (15 Reviews)
Weight : 170 grams MSRP : $48.99

Topeak doesn't make shocks, but they make lots of smartly-designed pumps that accomplish a variety of tasks. The Topeak Pocket Shock DXG with Dial Gauge is their dee-luxe shock pressurizer. There is a 300psi gauge sitting atop an aluminum barrel. Attached to the carbon-faced gauge (high on style), is a rotating hose with a Pressure Rite connector. Like most of the pumps we sell, there's a precise bleeder valve for carefully removing the pump while exacting the right air pressure. Kraton-covered plastic handle is easy to operate. The 21.5cm length is small enough to safely stow in a jersey pocket.

Submitted by CIRILO PASCUAL

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2013

Strengths:    Precisa y compacta

Weaknesses:    El latiguillo flexible ha reventado despues de usarla unas 20 veces.

Bottom Line:
Si no hubiese tenido este percance el producto es bueno. Ahora no encuentro recambio en ninguna parte por lo tanto mi puntuación es muy mala.

Submitted by Shmoo a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2013

Strengths:    Loses very little air upon disconnect.

Weaknesses:    Ergos.

Bottom Line:
I'm coming from a Specialized Windpipe, which I thought was decent. This pump is much better at keeping pressure during disconnection. There's two extra steps involved (screwing/unscrewing), but is well worth knowing that where you disconnected it is pretty accurate to what's inside your fork/shock.
It's a bit awkward when pumping, with one hand on the gauge and the other at the tip of the pump - small issues for what it does.

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Windpipe

Submitted by Dean a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2012

Strengths:    I own a bike shop. This is my favourite shock pump. I really like the airlock feature. It significantly minimizes air pressure loss when disconnecting the air line.

Weaknesses:    Had one air line rupture after several years service. A T handle would be nice.

Bottom Line:
The best shock pump I have found.

Similar Products Used:   Lezyne shop shock pump, Rock Shox pump.

Submitted by mickmutante a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to use, doesn't loose pressure.

Weaknesses:    Hard to screw and unscrew the pump to and from the shock, but you get used to it.

Bottom Line:
This is a small shock pump, really small. It is easy to use, you have to follow the instructions and will work as described by Topeak. Take a look at youtube videos.
The pump does not loose pressure when you take it of the shock.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Gallardo Bamboo Bike, Shimano Deore, Epicon 110mm suspension, 26"x2.15 Maxxis CrossMarks tires.

Submitted by Gerald V

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2012

Strengths:    Aesthetics - Professional-looking finish, Pressure isolation valve, exact pressure gauge

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I bought this pump because I do not want the hassle of going to my local bike shop just to have my air fork checked for correct air pressure. The pumps way of isolating its hose from the fork's valve ensures no leakage of air. Aesthetic-wise, I like the yellow/black dial gauge. I bought this one from a local bike shop here in the Philippines

Submitted by marquism2 a Cross Country Rider from Costa Mesa, CA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2012

Strengths:    The two step valve that eliminates leaking on disconnect is the best idea I've ever seen in a shock pump.

Weaknesses:    None apparent.

Bottom Line:
This is the only pump that I know of that can be counted on for accuracy with the very small volumes and high pressures of many forks and shocks. I got pretty good with my old Hurricane shock pump in terms of getting things disconnected with minimal air loss, but I acquired a Reba fork that was particularly finicky on the negative air side, where the air volume seems to be about 1cc. It's usually true that the air you hear escaping when disconnecting a conventional shock pump is mostly (or all) just air in the hose. But this Reba was definitely losing air from the tiny negative chamber on disconnect. The positive and negative air balance on a Reba is important and I got tired of over-inflating and hoping that it came out close, so I decided to invest in this Topeak shock pump. Now I don't know how I got along without it. You can set your shock/fork air EXACTLY where you want it and be confident that's what you'll have upon disconnecting the pump. The best shock pump I've seen, by far.

Favorite Trail:   I love them all equally

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Several other shock pumps with typical screw-on connections.

Bike Setup:   Shocks and forks that require air under pressure

Submitted by nondairybubonic a Cross Country Rider from st joe mi usa

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2012

Strengths:    its a pump!!!

Bottom Line:
Ive used this 3 times The 3rd time the hose burst @ 120psi its supposed to be good to 300psi its junk

Favorite Trail:   the forT

Purchased At:   blue sky

Submitted by jordenkl a Weekend Warrior from Israel

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2011

Strengths:    The product is extremely easy to use, very compact and also very reliable. I can store it in my backpack with out any problems (one of the reasons is because it's very light). One of the pump's features is lockable air valve, helps to keep air in side the shock with out losing any air pressure.

Weaknesses:    Couldn't find any

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that the pump worth the mony. Compact, easy to use, light cheap and reliable, do you need something else ?

Favorite Trail:   All Mountain

Purchased At:   shop harim

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek Shock Pump

Bike Setup:   I own the 2010 Specialized Enduro if that was the question

Submitted by Clones123 a Weekend Warrior from Marietta, GA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2010

Strengths:    Nicely made and easy to use. Retract Schrader pin, attach, extend Schrader pin, pump, retract Schrader pin, detach. Not very difficult.

Weaknesses:    Instruction manual doesn't jump out and say, "Read me."

Bottom Line:
Seems to me that the ability to extend and retract the pin that opens the Schrader valve should be THE thing that makes a shock pump what it is. Kind of amazing then that so many shock pumps are missing that key feature. Almost as amazing is that people buy a $40 pump, don't read the included instructions, and then have trouble figuring it out.

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Hurricane (from Performance)

Submitted by ctbarron a Weekend Warrior from Annandale, VA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2009

Strengths:    Works as promised

Weaknesses:    None major

Bottom Line:
Overall, a very good product. It took my a couple of tries to use it correctly, but after that I have had no problems. The attachment works well, it gets air into the fork at a reasonable rate, and seems to have an accurate gauge.

I do notice that if I slip during the removal process I can loose 2 or 3 PSI, but that's it. Done properly, you might loose 1 at most. Would definitely recommend.

Similar Products Used:   Tried one from Planet Bike

Submitted by tradersancho a Cross Country Rider from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2009

Strengths:    Doesn't lose air when disconnecting.

Bottom Line:
The reviewer who says this pump loses 10 psi is wrong. This shock loses absolutely no air when you unscrew it (if you RTFM and follow the directions). Any sound you hear is air escaping from the hose in the pump.

However, you will lose 10 psi when you _reconnect_ the pump because some of the air in the shock will move into the pump hose.

I originally bought this shock pump because my cheapie pump stopped engaging the schraeder valve on my Lefty fork after a rebuild. No problems at all with the Topeak.

I recommend this shock pump to anyone who is worried that they are losing air when they unscrew their pump.

4 Chilis for value because it puts air in your shock just like cheaper pumps. 5 Chilis for overall because it works great!

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek

Similar Products Used:   The freebie that comes with your bike. You know, the one that all of the major manufacturers buy and slap their name on.

Bike Setup:   Prophet: 3-way swinger & Lefty Max Carbon (w/ SPV).
RIP9: RP23 & Manitou Minute 120mm 29er.

Submitted by KTMArider a Cross Country Rider from Waynesville,NC

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2009

Strengths:    Does what it says(after you read the directions!)

Weaknesses:    small volume,but hey, it's a "pocket" pump

Bottom Line:
Bought this pump on the recommendation of the shop mechanic. Having ridden for 25 or so years, I thought how different can a pump be? So I chucked the directions and started using it. I was disappointedthatit seemed to bleed alot of air putting it on/taking it off. Googled the pump and WaLah! A cool little system to minimize air loss. Started doing it the right way and it works as advertised! very pleased(now) with a well designed product.

Favorite Trail:   only one?

Purchased At:   Probikes, Asheville

Similar Products Used:   none,never had a F/S bike before

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575 carbon race all XT/XTR

Submitted by 06Rockhopper a Downhiller from SB, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2008

Strengths:    easy to use, feels strong, flexible hose, good capacity, great features, looks sick!

Weaknesses:    your friends will want to borrow it all the time

Bottom Line:
Buy this pump if you need to fill up an air shock! I got this for my DHX 5.0 Air and it works perfectly. It fills up fast yet with little effort. The dial is easy to read and the flexible hose lets you fill up your shock from any angle. The two stage connector means you don't loose any air pressure when you unscrew the pump from your shock. Great feature. Also the bleeder button makes adjusting the pressure super easy and accurate as it goes down in about 2psi increments in easy bursts. And the carbon fiber gauge backing just looks cool.

Bottom Bottom line: great shock pump

Favorite Trail:   Knapps

Purchased At:   amazon

Similar Products Used:   none (no need until now)

Bike Setup:   07 Kona Stinky
Marzocchi 66 RC3
Fox DHX 5.0 Air

Submitted by moto-ufo a Cross Country Rider from N. Virginia, USA

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2008

Strengths:    Seems solidly built.

Weaknesses:    The upper knob can be difficult to turn.

Bottom Line:
In my experience, this pump does not perform as advertised. I definitely still lose air when I disconnect the pump from the shock. When I add 160 psi, remove the pump (following the simple steps indicated by Topeak), and check the pressure again there's only 150 psi. So, knowing I'll lose 10 psi when I remove the pump, I add 10 more psi. than I need. I'm going to return the pump b/c there's an extra step attaching the pump to the shock with no added benefit.

Just to be sure, I tested it on my fork as well and lost air when I disconnected the pump.

1 chili for value (or lack of) b/c it costs more than other shock pumps for no added benefit, 3 chilis overall b/c, well, at least it works like the other pumps I've used.

Similar Products Used:   Similar shock pumps without the gimmicks.

Bike Setup:   Fox Float RP2.

Submitted by Chucko a Weekend Warrior from Silicon Valley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2007

Strengths:    Clever hose connection design minimizes air lost when hooking up to shock.

Weaknesses:    Could be a little easier to grip at gauge end when pumping.

Bottom Line:
I bought this to replace the generic Fox pump because it was bleeding away so much air when disconnected that I could never be sure how much was left in the shock. The Topeak pump definitely solved that problem. Other than that it's your typical 300 PSI pump with gauge. It does its job well, but it could be shaped a little more ergonomically. I'd recommend this pump to anyone using an air shock in the rear.

Favorite Trail:   Saratoga Gap