Home | Reviews | Pump | Topeak

Topeak Mountain MasterBlaster Pump

3.29/5 (7 Reviews)

-High volume butted barrel efficiently inflates up to 120 psi -T-handle for comfort and better grip while pumping -Presta/Schrader ready. Includes mounting bracket and dust cap

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2004

Strengths:    Relatively lightweight. Mount isn't in the way of the crank-arms like my last pump.

Weaknesses:    Poor construction !!

Bottom Line:
This pump was bought before taking a bike-trip last summer. It was great the 2 times I used it for my mountain bike, just for topping up the pressure on my knobbies. When I put on the slicks, I found that this pump cannot handle anything over 50psi.. it is impossibly weak. During the trip I suffered from an underinflated rear wheel after needing to change a flat and using this pump. Dust from the dry-conditions made the pump extremely stiff. The shaft puts too much pressure on the weak outer seals for a smooth stroke to be possible after even the slightest dirtiness. 1 month after returning home the seals in the pump blew for good, and now it's rendered completely useless. Go with a Blackburn, not this piece of junk.

Favorite Trail:   Any Trail

Similar Products Used:   Blackburns, Zefal road frame-pump.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ Disc w/Bontrager RaceLite Disc wheels, and a 'firm' spring in the Duke XC fork.

Submitted by Darius a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2002

Strengths:    Fairly easy to use.

Weaknesses:    Broke when I needed it the most.

Bottom Line:
Just over fours into the Test of Metal 2002, I had a blowout. I put on a new tube and started to pump it up with my Topeak Mountain MasterBlaster -- and the handle pulls clean out of the rest of the pump. I had to wait for another racer kind enough to stop and let me borrow his pump.

I only used this pump four or five times over the year I had it. I consider a pump a "safety critical" element. It can be slow, heavy, and hard to use, but it better work when you need it. Buy something more sturdy than this pump!

Purchased At:   MEC

Submitted by Ed Miller a Cross Country Rider from Goleta, California, USA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2001

Strengths:    Inflates tires quickly and efficiently.

Weaknesses:    The pump shaft ended up bending.

Bottom Line:
This was a good pump. Unfortunately on my last ride, when I had a flat, the shaft bent while pumping. This sort of thing never happened on any previous pumps I've used, Mountain or Road. May replace it with another Blackburn Mammoth Pump if it is still made. That was a great pump. I've had other road pumps from Topeak and they've worked great. No Problems. I may write to Topeak about this.

Favorite Trail:   Little Pine Mountain, Los Padres National Forest

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn Mammoth Pump

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Toccoa, XL, RS Psylo Race Forks, Michelin Comp S tires.

Submitted by Pete a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2001

Weaknesses:    Lasted less than one month. The lever has repeatedly fallen off. When mounted on the frame with supplied plastic mount, it makes too much d*mn noise. Hopefully mine was a lemon and Topeak will replace it...

Bottom Line:
Caveat Emptor. YMMV.

Favorite Trail:   401

Purchased At:   Perfomance

Submitted by Pete a Weekend Warrior from Surrey in England

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2001

Strengths:    It is a really good idea, and allows you to pump up the tire quickly without much effort

Weaknesses:    Big and quite heavy

Bottom Line:
It is a very good pump for those not bothered by size or weight, not XC racers!

Favorite Trail:   Wisley and the one i am making

Purchased At:   Halfords bikehut

Similar Products Used:   Specialized pump which broke 3 times and was crap

Bike Setup:   Cove stiffee frame, Physco xc, hope discs, Shimano xt and Race Face stuff with Mavic D521 and Sun Mammoth rims

Submitted by Dex Tao a Racer from Toronto

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2001

Strengths:    Performance, quality, looks, price

Weaknesses:    size, weight

Bottom Line:
THIS PUMP IS BY FACT, THE FASTEST MINI-PUMP ON THE MARKET.
ALSO, has the pivoting pistolgrip handle, a butted AL barrel and NEW FOR 2001 acts as a super SPEEDLEVER with a a more anatomical grip. ONE AMAZING THING ABOUT THIS PUMP: the seal is SO GOOD that you dont even need to lock the lever to pump! Amazing! Either get this or the CrankBros pump. This the mother of all mini-pumps, guaranteed.

Purchased At:   ww.MEC.ca

Similar Products Used:   zefal mini dbl shot, zefal hpx, zefal husky, blackburn mtn stick

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Supercaliber

Submitted by Dan Webb a cross-country rider from TX

Date Reviewed: September 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is the best frame pump that I have ever owned. Topeak is a cool company too. After I lost the seal ring on the pump, I went to my LBS (really a lawnmower shop) that did not carry parts for the pumps that they sell so that they could tell me my options: buy a new pump or wait weeks on a new seal ring. I e-mailed Topeak, they informed me that my pump was in warranty (a fact that my LBS should have known since they sell this brand), and mailed me a rebuild kit free of charge. They will certainly get repeat business from me.