Home | Reviews | Pump | Topeak

Topeak Mini Master Blaster Pump

3.03/5 (32 Reviews)

-Dual pumping action pumps air both push and pull, formerly called Master Blaster -Dual head converts between Schrader and Presta, Thumblock lever for airtight seal, padded elastomer grip -Thumblock lever for airtight seal, includes mounting bracket, dust cap

Submitted by hwtan68

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2012

Strengths:    relatively cheap

Weaknesses:    mounted on the bike for about 2-3month. use it once to blow up a new tube for installation into the tyre.

the plunger inside the pump head somehow seized when i turn up the lever and are unable to retract.
the rubber thingy which secure the pump broke...

Bottom Line:
avoid at all cost.

Submitted by crazee horse

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2012

Strengths:    everything. its sturdy, small enough, pushes out good volume on both push and pull, the pump is ergonomic.

Weaknesses:    none that i can see.

Bottom Line:
i bought my latest Topeak mini master blaster DX as my old one had just worn out, after a good ten years. no one has as many punctures as me, so a decent pump is a must have. im actually actually quite shocked how much better the new model is over the old. its a tiny bit weighty for its size, but apart from that its perfect. the pump fills my 2.1 tubes very quickly, and feels great in your hand. its small enough to not be bulky either when its on your downtube. i was going to buy a different pump second time round, but to be honest its that good i didnt want to risk buying a lesser pump.

Submitted by Alex Rovira a Weekend Warrior from Barcelona, Spain

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2010

Strengths:    Looks cool and tekkie. It is mall and light.

Weaknesses:    Valve doesn't work. Is a pump that doesn't pump.
Moreover, the strap to anchor is not very secure because the surface of velcro strip is designed to be not very big.

Bottom Line:
No € paid, it cam free with my new bike.

Favorite Trail:   wide and empty streets

Purchased At:   Probike, Barcelona

Bike Setup:   hybrid urban/mountain

Submitted by Jo a Weekend Warrior from Canberra, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2009

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    DOESN'T FRAKKING WORK for little road bike valves. I bought it from the shop and took it home and it didn't work. Ever. Brand new. DO NOT buy it.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy it unless you want severe disappointment.

Favorite Trail:   Bike paths...

Purchased At:   Civic bike shop

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Hybrid/road

Submitted by Cory a Weekend Warrior from Arlington, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2009

Strengths:    It looks sort of cool.

Weaknesses:    It doesn't work. I bought a new hybrid bike about 3 weeks ago and the shop clerk suggested I have an air pump as well attached to my bike. I've been on my bike about 4 times in the past 3 weeks (busy schedule, other events interupted any biking plans). I figure today is Sunday, I'd go for another ride but I need to check my air pressure since I haven't ridden my bike for about 6 days. Front tire feels a bit low from just sitting around, so I go to use the MINI and it doesn't even clamp down. Says it fits both Presta and Schrader style valves. The brass cap on the Presta style valve I have is unscrewed and opened. The red plastic thing inside the MINI pump hole is all smashed and won't push in for the valve to go in and clamp on.
My very first time using the pump when I actually need it and it didn't work at all. Now my tire's PSI is nearly flat from trying to get the damn MINI to clamp onto the valve. FAILURE PUMP.

Bottom Line:
MINI MasterBlaster = FAILURE. Don't waste your money on crap that won't work the very first time you attempt to use it.

Submitted by Qatarbhoy a Cross Country Rider from Qatar

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2009

Strengths:    Mounts neatly next to waterbottle.
Looks nice on my bikes.
You can throw it a long way. (Retrieve the patches from the end cap first! You might actually get some use out of them.)

Weaknesses:    Doesn't work. Apparently any contact with dust will cause the seals to fail and you will be pumping your arm but not your tyres.

Bottom Line:
Works great once or twice under laboratory conditions; once out on the trial it will fail. I've owned two over the course of a year, both left me stranded when I actually needed them and the LBS couldn't fix them either. My next pump will be a Topeak Morph, reluctant though I am to punt more money in Topeak's direction after these two abject failures. The Morph is what my LBS mechanic uses even though they don't actually stock them. Hmmm.

Similar Products Used:   Wrench Force POS.

Submitted by calebiker a Downhiller from Spokane WA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, easy to use, fast inflating.

Weaknesses:    The Velcro strap snapped.

Bottom Line:
great deal for the price, I'll just sew the strap back together.

Favorite Trail:   Beacon Hill

Purchased At:   fitness fanatics

Similar Products Used:   Nothing

Bike Setup:   2006 Jamis Dakar with 5 inches of travel.

Submitted by Dominick a Cross Country Rider from Izegem, Belgium

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2008

Strengths:    i cannot think of one advantage. I bought this on a council of the sellor of which i just bought a mountainbike for the first time

Weaknesses:    no strength, there is no air coming out in any position. it is certainly not worth that money even not 1 USD. give me a simple footpump. i never buy a product again of this producer. i just used it three times and it is allready stuck. Even first two times were not satisfying.

Bottom Line:
think thrice before you buy a Topeak product ...

Purchased At:   Izegem, fietsen Lesy

Submitted by Paul Garrison a Weekend Warrior from Columbia, Missouri, USA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2008

Strengths:    first three weeks

Weaknesses:    grey seal where handle meets the shaft leaks after the first month

Bottom Line:
not worth it, unless you want to pay thirty dllars for a disposable pump.

go cO2

Favorite Trail:   Rock Bridge State Park

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   foot pumps

Bike Setup:   mongoose pro wing comp, Alex SCE-17 Alloy Rims, Alloy QR Hubs, Kenda Komodo 1.95 Tires

Submitted by Marcel van Ommen from Hobart

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2007

Strengths:    none, I returned it very quickly because it did't work very well, straight from the shop. I bought the cheaper version which is really good!

Weaknesses:    doesn't pump your tyre up very well, doesn't measure the pressure very well

Bottom Line:
Avoid this pump. Buy a pump which works. Not this one.

Favorite Trail:   away from traffic

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   I've got a similar (simpler) Topeak pump now which is fine.

Bike Setup:   Giant Yukon

Submitted by Jon a Racer from Montreal, Qc, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2007

Strengths:    Small & compact

Weaknesses:    It is garbage with a poor excuse for a mount, and a wildly innacurate "gauge".

Bottom Line:
I bought the Topeak Master Blaster as an "on the road" pump...
1st use.... took around 10/15 minutes to get the tyre anywhere near a reasonable psi... The Topeak master blaster will pump your fore-arm and biceps way before it'll pump you're tyres...
2nd use... Same sh#t different day..... throw the "master blaster" in the garbage, or give it to a "friend".
I would not recommend this awful pump to anybody....Shame on you Topeak!

Purchased At:   20$

Bike Setup:   2006 Devinci Podium

Submitted by CaptStu from maine

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2006

Strengths:    Simple to use. Puts air in when I need it (presta valve); Handle folds to ease the pressure on your hands. Cheap $.

Weaknesses:    Mount is meant to be attached along side a water bottle. Which is fine unless you only carry a camelback. Then it just seems to bang into your leg with every stroke. Would have preffered a regualr mount.

Bottom Line:
Overall, a great price. Simple and works. Also, has a cap to keep mud and other debris out.

Bike Setup:   GF Cobia

Submitted by Sprocketeer a Cross Country Rider from Astoria, Queens, NYC

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2005

Strengths:    This is my second Toppeak Mini Master Blaster. The first one was great. The second takes more tuning than my bike to get minimal performance.

Weaknesses:    When I pump the tire up above 25psi it starts letting out short bursts of air pressure--so I can't inflate the tire as I want. Locking the pump to the valve is the surest bet on a futile pumping effort and it's hard to imagine why.

Bottom Line:
Did you see a guy changing a tire in a rainstorm cursing the piece of crap pump he was using? Yeah, that was me.

I got 20psi in the tire and rode to the nearest LBS to borrow their floor pump.

This is the third time I've had a similar experience with the 2003 version of this pump. I just took it apart completely, gave it loving maintainence, and put it back together better than the factory did. We'll see what happens next.

The other one--same make and model--2001 maybe-- worked great even covered with crud, rolled in sand, dried out on rides in the blazing sun. It was great, that's why I bought another one for the other bike. Bad idea.

Favorite Trail:   Since moving back from Japan I have yet to find even a decent trail here. Flippin the bird to DOT

Purchased At:   Seo Cycle Pro Shop at Tokyo Bay LalaPort, Minami-Funabashi, Chiba, Japan

Similar Products Used:   Mini Master Blaster, both the great original and this piece of crap. The first one was the AK-47 of pumps--indestructible, required no maintainence to perform. This one requires worshipping and even then doesn't get the job done. And ages ago I used a frame pump the length of the top tube which worked just fine.

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek 8000 with ZR9000 frame--tricked out.

Submitted by Mulle a Cross Country Rider from Denmark

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2005

Strengths:    dual-pumping: Pumps when you pull and when you push could be a nice feature.
Weight.
Good Frame-mount.
Reasonable price. (I just don't remember it)

Weaknesses:    The Seals !
When pumping to fast it blows (because of heat perhaps?), and you have to take it apart and put it together again to make it work for a couple of seconds again.
The dual-pumping isn't that great either:
It takes far too long to pump (10 minutes?) and it's really hard work, so nothing for the roadbike and neither for the mountainbike!

Bottom Line:
I used it three times before I trashed it.

Yes I know how to take care of a pump, and the seal was oiled proberly too.

My problem: I want something light, but durable. Is that impossibel?

Well the floor pump worked o.k. but it's damn heavy.
And working with kartusches is a hazard of its own. But I'll proberly stick to those again if the latex-tubes won't hold up better than the old butyl-tubes:(

Favorite Trail:   Everything with lots of hills <= not Denmark

Similar Products Used:   Topeak Mountain Morph floor pump with fram-mount, SKS Air Mount Pro

Bike Setup:   Principia MSLe, Manitou Skareb, XTR, Ritchey WCS, Hügi...

Submitted by Peter Kooiman a Cross Country Rider from Schiedam

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2004

Strengths:    This pump is clamping which my former SKS pump didn't do, very tiresome with my kind of .

Weaknesses:    Dirt ! It isn't resistant to it ! When you need it, it will be of no use to you. It needs cleaning again to funvtion again, just for a week.

Bottom Line:
Do NOT buy this thing !

Purchased At:   Rose Versand