Home | Reviews | Pump | Topeak

Topeak Joe Blow Pump

2.98/5 (90 Reviews)

Topeak Joe Blow Mountain Bike pump has a larger than normal steel barrel, designed specifically for larger volume off-road tires. The analog pressure gauge is extra sensitive and has an air release button to help dial in the exact pressure. This pump also

Submitted by eatdrinkride a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2013

Strengths:    -Big cylinder, moves lots of air
-Sturdy handle
-Gauge range is reasonable for mtb tires and therefor should be more accurate at ~30psi vs. a pump that goes up to 120psi or more.

Weaknesses:    -Plastic lever on twin head feels el cheapo. It will break at some point, I have little doubt. (smart head is well built and feels solid in comparison)

Bottom Line:
Review is for the Joe Blow Mountain. I ordered a smart head at the same time thinking the twin head would be too bulky to use on tiny kid bike tires.

Impressions:

It's not epic, not a game changer, hardly gnar gnar nor is it buff. However, it does pump air into my tires quicker than my old pump. For that I'm grateful :)

-pump cylinder is huge
-handle is comfy and seems sturdy enough
-gauge is on bottom, no biggie unless your eyes are getting bad like mine
-as expected it gets a little firm to push at around 30psi
-about 8-10 strokes to fill my completely deflated 2.3 ust Purgatory to ~30psi.
-twin head looks bulky however in reality it is no wider/longer from end to end than the smart head I ordered to replace it
-the yellow lever on the twin head is sub-standard imo. It's plastic and feels like it will break if I'm not wary of it each time I'm going to use it. This is my one real 'con' for this pump
-twin head has a pressure release button - I like this but don't really know if it will be needed in reality. Time will tell.
-the smart head is very nice. The lever is metal and it makes a definitive "snap" sound when you move it's position open/close. I think I might use it in lue of the twin head even if it doesn't save space when used on tiny wheels. it just feels well built.
-smart head does NOT have a pressure release button

At just over 30 bucks (not including the smart head) it's a great buy for me. Now I can retire my 10 year old a Aireon pump that really hasn't worked very well for years now.

3 Flamin' Chilis overall only due to the plasticky lever on the twin head. I'd have given at least 4 or 5 if it came standard with the smart head.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   other floor pumps

Submitted by jeremy

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2013

Strengths:    pumps fast
use it on low pressure large tires like mountain bike and small High pressure (>125 psi), I have even had to use it on my SUV (that was a workout). It's been to burningman several times and is at least 5-6 years old now. I have never cleaned lubed or even put it inside at night.

Weaknesses:    I doesn't have an LCD screen or surround sound to tutor those who have been having problems with it.

Bottom Line:
Sweeeeet.

Submitted by Christopher

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2013

Strengths:    Works fine for lower pressure mountain bike tires.

Weaknesses:    Dies quickly if one is using it for pumping road tires to 130 PSI plus but the "O" ring is available for $1.00 plus freight in kit part number TRK jB01 from Todson, Inc. N. Attleboro MA.

Bottom Line:
Don't toss your pump out just buy some "O" rings and replace them from time to time.

Submitted by mark waggoner

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2013

Strengths:    Works well when it works.

Weaknesses:    Easily pinches your finger and it hurts like a mofo. Check valve or something inside of it broke and new it rocket-ships the handle up into your face when attached to a bike tire (that, too, hurts like a mofo.)

Bottom Line:
Look elsewhere for an expensive bike pump. I've always hated this pump and won't buy another from Topeak.

Submitted by cjsb a Downhiller from sd,ca

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2011

Strengths:    When it works it does its job.

Weaknesses:    It is fragile and poorly constructed. A piece of junk. After 3 years the pump will no longer compress and air through the hose. This is a major failure. This is my last Topeak product, for that price it should last much nger. total B.S., where's the quality? Topeak blows!

Bottom Line:
This product sucks!

Purchased At:   rei

Submitted by NancyL a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2011

Strengths:    Can accept Presta and Schraeder valves

Weaknesses:    Seals wear and there is no replacement kit. At about 4 years, the pump was approaching unusable, especially for high pressure tires (100 psi)

Bottom Line:
I have the Joe Blow SPORT, the bright yellow one. As an earlier poster mentioned, there is no seal kit available when the seal on the twinhead begins to go. The poster indicated he had solved the problem by moving an O-ring from the base of the pump to the head. I decided to try this; the O-ring I found (by unscrewing the cap at the base) had a spring behind it, took flight and I never saw it again.

O-rings being standard items, I decided to visit my local Home Depot. I found that a #7 O-ring, near the faucet section, seems to work as a replacement for the O-ring in the twinhead. 1/2" OD x 3/8" ID x 1/16". A 10-pack is $2.27. To access, remove the screw on the twinhead, pull out the lever assembly, remove and replace the O-ring. Reassemble, making sure the O-ring slides into the twin head and doesn't become caught on or cut by the piece it is sliding into.

I replaced the lost O-ring from the base with a #78, 7/16" OD x 1/4"ID x 3/32". The pump is now working fine. I can repair it nine more times unless something else breaks first.

Favorite Trail:   Buffalo Creek

Purchased At:   Local Bike Store

Submitted by JJ a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2011

Strengths:    Seems solid

Weaknesses:    Doesnt last an no support, no manual

Bottom Line:
Works for a while, then stopped suddenly after a year. There is no breakdown manual or guide if you are a world traveler, and nothing on the Internet... best to buy a few small cheepies as disposables. Good thing is the heavy tube... you can use it for protection, nothing else.

Favorite Trail:   Huanchac Peru

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   Canondale rush

Submitted by Kristianpetrov a Racer from Irvine california US

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2010

Strengths:    The pump looks strong,clean and has a nice yellow color.

Weaknesses:    From the second I bought this product it would not pump a presta valve at all. The air would just leak and it basically sucks.

Bottom Line:
Do not but this pump if you are a road biker and is using presta valve!!! It is a complete ripoff and it does not do anything! I would rather use the 5 dollar pumps at target since THEY ACTUALLY PUMP!

Purchased At:   Performance

Submitted by Warren a Cross Country Rider from Japan

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2009

Strengths:    When I first bought it, it worked well and I could inflate my tires easily without any effort, but that didn't last very long.

Weaknesses:    The dual head leaked air after 20-30 uses and now I can not use it for anything other than pumping up my soccer ball.

Bottom Line:
It seems obvious from reading other posts that the pump head breaks often and quickly, amongst a variety of other problems. I am extremely disappointed with the poor quality of this product.

Purchased At:   Y's Joker

Similar Products Used:   Other

Bike Setup:   Cervelo Soloist

Submitted by jaghouse a Cross Country Rider from Iowa

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2009

Strengths:    Reliability

Bottom Line:
There are various versions of the Joe Blow pump. I have the Sport II (twinhead NOT smarthead) and it has worked wonderfully since day one. The twinhead design seems to be a winner.

Submitted by greenforest56 a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2009

Strengths:    Good strong pump, nice design, well built, reliable

Weaknesses:    handle

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent pump. I have used it a lot for seveal years, given excllent service. Solid, well built. My only criticism is the handles. Topeak put some kind of rubber material at the ends. I keep expecting it to come off. It hasn't yet, but it will someday. Otherwise, the pump is bullet proof.

Favorite Trail:   Bolinas Ridge Trail

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn

Bike Setup:   Proflex 656 stock

Submitted by dbarzel a Weekend Warrior from memphi, tn

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2009

Strengths:    high gauge reading, and (when it works) the presta/schrader convertible head - good support from topeak (will ship new parts when your eventually breaks)

Weaknesses:    subject to breakdowns - i have rebuilt mine at least 3x in 4 years

Bottom Line:
don't buy it - look for a sturdy rebuildable pump like the silca or lezyne

Favorite Trail:   herb parsons

Purchased At:   no idea

Similar Products Used:   silca pumps

Bike Setup:   cannondale rush 6 with tubeless tires

Submitted by BigBull a Weekend Warrior from California

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2009

Strengths:    Joe Blow Max is a piece of crap.
Joe Blow Sport is great and solid built.

Weaknesses:    Joe Blow Max is a joke, cheap plastic cap broken in few months. Hard to get higher pressure than 30psi even when new. But Joe Blow SPODT is a great pump on the other hand.

Bottom Line:
I used Joe Blow Sport for years and love it so much so after I accidentally run my car over it I replaced with a similar model JB MAX: what a mistake. Do youself a favor and get the SPORT or Pro model.
THe 4 star rating is for Sport model.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe

Purchased At:   Performance

Submitted by T_woot a Cross Country Rider from Auburn, CA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2009

Strengths:    JOEBLOW sport pump... it works great, was a decent price compared to specialized pumps that would probably perform the exact same. I love the dual valve for schrader and presta, its awesomely handy, comes with a needle for basketballs and such, and another little adapter. I haven't used em but I like having such things handy regardless.

Weaknesses:    the yellow is awesome, why not love it?

Bottom Line:
cheap price, fine pump, great functionality, still working just fine after 2 years

Favorite Trail:   Annadel S.P.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   stuff at bike shops, specialized floor pumps

Submitted by Thorvald a Weekend Warrior from Bornholm, Denmark

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2009

Bottom Line:
After two years my Topeak Joe Blow Sprint began to work worser and worser. In the beginning it didn'nt pump in the top of the stroke, and later it also nearly didn't worked in bottom of the stroke. I opened, inspected, cleaned and greased the tube, the piston and the O-ring. And I couldn't see any faults. But, no, there were no changes. Then I disassembled the hole thing, cleaned everything, and greased it. Still no changes. Did everything once again. Still no results. Phoned the national distibutor asking for spare parts, especially the O-ring, which looked OK by visual inspection, but on the other hand problaly was the reason for the missing pressure. The answer from the distibutor was: Topeak don't sell spare parts for their pumps. Now I realised that I instead should have bought either a SKS floor pump or a pump from Blackburn, because both of these are selling spare parts for their pumps. Just before I ordering a new pump, realising I was the owner of a piece of garbage, I disassemblede my Topeak Joe Blow for the absolutely last time. And thanks for that. I saw this time that the bottom plug, which are screwed into the bottom of the cylinder, are fitted with two O-rings in exactly the same size as the O-ring at the piston. By changing one of those O-rings from the bottom plug with the O-ring at the piston, MY PUMP WORKS AGAIN. Now I just wonder if the pump also this time wil give up after two years. If this should be the matter, there is still one more O-ring in the bottom plug, which I can put to the piston, and then get two more years of life out of my Joe Blow sprint. A lot of trouble, but nice to have fixed it. - I haven't had other problems with this pump, which now works fine again.

Favorite Trail:   tarmac, gravel

Purchased At:   Germanny

Similar Products Used:   Italian floorpump, can't remember the name, Silca, SKS, Blackburn Air Stick 1, Blackburn Mtn pump, Topeak Pocket Rocket

Bike Setup:   Scott CR 1, Pinarello Opera, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp -91, Wheeler touring bike

Joe blow ace vs mountain pumps

Hi anyone knows if the joe blow ace with his two barrel push more air in per stroke than the specific mountain pumps like Lezyne dirt Joe blow mountain - 44.4mm barrel Sks aircon 6.0 Specialized airtool mtb floor pump claim 508cc barrel Don't know the size of barrel of the other pumps anyone ... Read More »

Topeak Joe Blow Mountain pump and road tires...

Hey guys, I have a Topeak Mountain pump but I just got a road bike today so I'm trying to decide if I need a second pump. The gauge only goes up to 75 or 85, so I'm wondering if the pump will still work for higher tire pressures. I am planning to get a dedicated gauge if so rather than having ... Read More »

I just bought this Topeak Joe Blow Sport II. How do I use it?

This is really making me bad. Stupid bike pump will not work. I tried to put it on and all it would do is leak air. It would not lock on. This thing is complete garbage. How do I use it? Yes, I was using the right side. Thanks.Read More »

Flow + Ikon + Joe Blow

I'm trying to put an Ikon tire on my Flow rim and seat it with a Joe Blow mountain pump. I gave it a couple of tried but am having trouble getting it to seat. Are there any tips or tricks?Read More »

Joe Blow Mountain Pump-Tubless Inflation

I've been considering buying a Topeak Joe blow Mountain pump for inflating tubeless tires since I don't have a compressor at home. I borrowed this pump from a friend and was unable to get my Rampage on a Flow 29er to inflate, I removed the stans valve core too. I've read many accounts of people h ... Read More »