Home | Reviews | Pump | Topeak

2.96/5 (24 Reviews)

Topeak Dual Master Blaster Pump

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior from Ringwood, NJ

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2006

Strengths:    Its light and in theory should work.

Weaknesses:    May work intially, but will fail.

Bottom Line:
This pump initially worked well, but crapped out on me on a trail ride and just would not get up to anything close to a useable pressure. After getting some assistance I finished that ride. Later I though I fixed the pump, but today after pinching in a race I took this piece of ^%$# out of my bag and it failed a second time resulting in my first DNF! But I don't need to worry about this pump anymore after rightfully bashing it to oblivion against an unsuspecting tree.

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood, all of it!

Similar Products Used:   Anything eles.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophet with a flat rear tire no thanks to this thing.

Submitted by Stephan S a Racer from Saipan

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2004

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    leaks, stops working

Bottom Line:
It faled me too, for the second time. The two way valve must have blocked and now I suck out the ait that I just pumped in. How do you guys fix these? For now its useless to me and I need to buy another.

Submitted by TonyP a Weekend Warrior from Brussels, Belgium

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2002

Strengths:    Nice design

Weaknesses:    Needs to be kept out of the elements

Bottom Line:
I bought this with my bike and installed it on the frame. After 6 months I had a flat and found that the pump wouldnt work any more.

There is a tiny air intake in the handle which lets dust, mud and water in, and blocks open the valve in the handle.

Not a pump for heros.

Similar Products Used:   Cheap pumps

Submitted by Ira a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2000

Strengths:    Has a gauge

Weaknesses:    This is a pump designed by people who do not cycle !! Takes considerable amount of strength to plug the valve. It always leaks when pumped. It causes the valve to shift sideway.

Bottom Line:
Basically do not buy this pump unless you want a pump that does not work. A Made in China foot pump that cost $10 is a better option, gauge included although slightly inaccurate.

Submitted by Greg Wang a Weekend Warrior from Pleasanton, CA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 1999

Strengths:
Pumps well enough, mostly sturdy

Weaknesses:
heavy
pin that holds handle on may come off!

Bottom Line:
In a review below two years ago, I gave this product a 3....I'll still give it a 3, but beware, on mine, the pin that holds the handle on fell off and is gone forever. The less moving parts the better....at least there is a lifetime warranty.
I do like Topeak equipment....I replaced my Dual Master Blaster with a Mini Master Blaster and it works great.

Tilden/Joaquin Miller/Redwood/Morgon Territory

2 Years

Zefal junk, Topeak Mini Master Blaster

Mongoose hardtail

Submitted by Smithers a cross-country rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: January 28, 1999

Bottom Line:

I decided to buy a pump when I got stranded with a flat up in Colorado, but having this POS wouldn't have helped me even there.The best this useless pump could deliver was about 20 psi. It leaked out of the handleshaft every time I tried to go higher. On the trail, after f^&*$ing with it for about 5 minutes I gave up, borrowed my friends pump and finishing in about 30 sec.I just returned it last night. Gotta love REI.

Submitted by Wire a weekend warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: November 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

Got the DMB2 just a few days back. Nothing seems broken except the pump gets really hard when I attempt to push it beyond 85psi on my slick. I bought it cuz its rated to go beyond 120 and my good old Zefal hpx cannot fit my mtb frame.I'll give it 3 overall (1 against my hpX but that's unfair).

Submitted by Kristy Mack a weekend warrior from Greensboro, NC

Date Reviewed: September 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

One month ago I bought this pump. It had a pressure gage, so I thought, cool, I'll get it. Multi-purpose. Well, this pump SUCKS. I have determined, on several occasions, that the pressure gage has been incorrect. This has cost me one snakebite flat and another near blowout. I am also frustrated by the fact that every time I attempt to inflate my tires to the (supposed) correct pressure, my presta valves are bent beyond repair.
In fact, the twin head technology they boast of makes no difference in how
quickly the pump does its job. I have seen grass grow in the time it takes to
inflate my tires with this sorry excuse for what they call a top-of-the-line pump. I paid $40 for this pump--I can go anywhere and get a better pump than this one.

Submitted by Matt a weekend warrior from Oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: February 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

I like my mini master blaster. I've used it to pump up to 85 psi without any problems, and the pump is pretty compact. The gauge reads about 5 psi low, but at least it's consistent about it. The only problem I experience is that it tends to pop out of its clamp holder when installed on the down tube, even when secured with the supplied velcro strap. I used a second velcro strap to hold it securely.

Submitted by j a weekend warrior from rochester,ny

Date Reviewed: January 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

this is a review for the mini master blasternice pump, works good for me with no problems after 2 years. This is the only pump I have, so it gets used for lots of other stuff besides roadside flats. I think the only time I ever used it on the trail was when I lent it to some guy.The guage is useless, kinda regret spending the extra $7 or so, since I've never seen it move past 40 psi, and I think it's better anyway to go by feel.pumps both ways, which cuts down on pumping time.

Submitted by Frank Cseri a downhiller from Philadelphia,PA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 1997

Bottom Line:

Borrowed a guys TOPEAK who I met on the trail. Got my tire pumped but on the last few strokes, handle busted off. Could someone e-mail on where I can get a replacement handle for this guy. Iwas impressed by the pump at first but was sadly dissapointed.

Submitted by RockSci from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: October 10, 1997

Bottom Line:

OK, So this is a review of the TOPEAK mini-masterblaster. I have to warn people to stay away from this thing. I get flats on a regular basis due to cactus and car parts so I've used this pump. On the 6th use It stopped working. The damn thing leaked. I couldn't tell where it was leaking from but it left me stranded. I have no good feelings towards this piece of crap. Other than not working it seems fine.

Submitted by jason a cross-country rider from North Carolinia

Date Reviewed: August 10, 1997

Bottom Line:

Great product, no defects in workmanship.

Submitted by Ace Mc Winnie a racer from Down Under

Date Reviewed: August 6, 1997

Bottom Line:

The same thing happen to me as did Howard Krakower. Exept the gauge doesn't move past 30psi. I had to return this prouduct 3 times before I got one that works. Well thought out design though

Submitted by Chris a weekend warrior from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: July 23, 1997

Bottom Line:

Zefal's suck. This pump is great, it does everything a pump is supposed to do and keeps on doing it. The gauge is nice too.