Home | Reviews | Pump | Topeak

4.52/5 (25 Reviews)

Topeak Combo Master Blaster Frame Pump

Submitted by Greg a Weekend Warrior from Vero Beach, Florida

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2006

Strengths:    Nice design

Weaknesses:    Mounting system makes the product all but useless.

Bottom Line:
Initially, I really liked the pump ... until I tried to mount it on my brand new bike. So rocket scientist at Topeak didn't take into consideration that if you mount this on the roght side of the bike's down tube, it would hit the derailer. There is NO way to use the mount and still attach it to the down tube ... you'd have to use the other tube and that looks like (fill in the blank) and blocks the graphics. In other words, the tube mounted mini pump can't be used as a tube mounted mini pump. Tried contacting Topeak, their website has NO contact information. So, I had to take it back and get a CO2 system. VERY not impressed.

Similar Products Used:   Previously (and now currently) using CO2.

Bike Setup:   Fuji Nevada 1.0

Submitted by Half-Fast Biker a Weekend Warrior from Hollidaysburg, PA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2006

Strengths:    Ease of use, Quality, built in gauge

Bottom Line:
I've been using this pump since 1999...wow...it's been that long ?!....the thing still works like when it was new. The only "problem" I ever had with it was that the knurled tightening ring on the head of the pump unscrewed itself and fell off one day when I was mountain biking...one call to Topeak and they sent me a new one for free. Now I have a piece of electrical tape wrapped around the end of the pump head to keep the dirt out and to keep it from ever unscrewing again.

This pump is like carrying a floor pump with you...you don't have to kill yourself trying to pump up your tires anymore...flats are now just a minor annoyance instead of a major aggravation.

Favorite Trail:   Great Allegheny Passage

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Zefal pumps

Bike Setup:   1991 Schwinn KOM S-7 MTB

Submitted by Ed Elefante a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2003

Strengths:    Quick, light and easy to use. Customer support!!!

Weaknesses:    A few pieces would break here and there, but with GREAT customer service, you can't go wrong!

Bottom Line:
See previous comment. I have had similar experiences with Topeak. I have had great experiences with the customer service. The pump has been great, from pumping 5 other Schraeder valve bikes and my presta valve Trek, this is a diehard pump! It has been through a lot and Topeak's Customer Service has come through in times of need!! GREAT JOB!!!

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   Swiss American Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Zefal, Schwinn

Bike Setup:   1999 Trek VRX200 Rocks!!

Submitted by Larry a Cross Country Rider from Santa Monica, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2003

Strengths:    Reliable. Fast. Easy to use.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This review is of the old-style Combo Master Blaster. It's not like the one in the picture; it has an extendible hose, built-in gauge, and flip-out foot lever.

The pump has been flawlessly reliable since I bought it five years ago. It goes with me commuting and mountain biking, and to the beach to help repair other people's tires.

What I want to add to other people's comments here is one about Topeak's customer service. This is as outstanding as the pump.

Recently I was at a friend's house, using the pump to fix his son's bike. While doing this I lost the clamp nut from the back of the pump's head. So, I called Topeak today to see if I could get a replacement. No longer made, but they said they'd send me a new head for my pump! No charge, he'll send it today. Amazing.

The Combo Master Blaster has been replaced by the Morph series. These look a lot like mine. If you're looking for a pump to depend on when you're far from home, this is it.
--Larry

Favorite Trail:   Out there

Purchased At:   Palms Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Number 1 pump, Zefal, Silca, others

Bike Setup:   Ritchey Ascent commuter, Turner 5-spot mountain, Ritchey Ascent tow beast for my trailer

Submitted by Sprocketeer a Cross Country Rider from Narashino, Chiba, Japan (native of New York)

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Strengths:    It's lighter than any other pump I've seen out there or used myself--I don't know what all these people are saying about it being heavy, about a hose, and a foot pump. Do you all see the picture at the top? That's the pump I have, and I know the name of it as well.

Anyway, it's small, light, powerful, sturdy, the gauge is accurate, pumps up to 100 and something psi, and has a mud cap. Also, the operation and maintainance instruction sheet explains very well how to maintain it and this only has to be done once in a great moon. People complaining about it breaking probably never bothered to read the operating and maintainance instructions.

It's very secure on it's frame mount, though easy to remove and replace.

The seal is tight and doesn't leak at all, especially if you bother to keep it from drying out and/or hardening from lack of maintainance.

What else can I say but that it greatly exceeds reasonable expectations in performance, design, and just plain looking cool.

Weaknesses:    Absolutely none if you bother to read the operation and maintainance instructions.

Bottom Line:
The only thing I would say against this pump is that if you're going to pump your tires to about, say, 60 psi or over, it's laborious on the arm--and that's coming from a former boxer with plenty of arm strength.

On the other hand, this is a pump for use out on the trail and if you haven't bothered to spring for a regular floor pump with a gauge at home yet or you're wondering which to buy first, I'd say get this one because it will be there when you need it most.

The gauge measures both psi and how many "bars" which is a larger unit of measure that I don't recommend using because the difference between 80 psi and 85 psi on, say, a Hutchinson Alligator Gold (top of the line mountain bike tire with a psi rating of 80) can cause the tube to leak around the valve--and that would only be the fault of the person using the pump, not the tire, tube, or pump itself.

Another thing, if you break this pump in normal use it has just got to be your fault for not bothering to follow the simple maintainance instructions included with the pump. just spray a little chain lubricant--I use Finish Line Teflon Plus--on the moving parts and rubber seals to keep them from stiffening up. If you really want to keep this pump working for years and years, it's a good idea to take it apart and do a full maintainance on it about once a year, which is as easy as it could be. Of course, it's cheap enough that you could just buy a new one if you're not up to doing this.

Floor pumps tend to be fairly maintainance free, but frame pumps--especially ones as light as this one which takes on all the weather beating that any bike component does, and maybe more--need to be cleaned and lubed once in a while.

Anyway, this is the pump to buy in my opinion. Lauds to Topeak.

Favorite Trail:   I like it rough and dirty, baby!!

Purchased At:   Seo Cycle pro shop at LalaPort Tokyo Bay shopping mall, Funabashi, Chiba, Japan

Similar Products Used:   Zefel frame mounted pump which pumps OK, but doesn't mount securely, is longer, heavier, has no gauge, and isn't even good for wacking the occasional dog nipping at your ankles.

Bike Setup:   Trek race geometry frame with select, race-level components--my own creation.

Submitted by Richard Johnson a Weekend Warrior from Louisville

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2001

Strengths:    Topeak Mountain Morph:great pumping power, stays on the valve head, doesn't leak, gauge works and is easily seen while pumping.Works great on mountain and road tires

Weaknesses:    I put mine in my Mule so it doesn't get trail gunk on it.

Bottom Line:
Ignore the lame review in Mountain Bike October 2001. This review is for the Topeak Mountain Morph. This is a beautiful piece of equipment that restores your belief that someone thinks about and uses a design before putting it out there. Light, strong, pumps up quickly, handle stops just in time so it doesn't scrape your knuckles as you pump,hose extends so it stays easily on the valvehead. Gauge works great so you know you have the right air pressure. Works as well as a good floor pump, but its in your pack!

Favorite Trail:   ottercreekblue/yellow

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Crank Brothers mini you could pump for days and barely get enough to ride on

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight X

Submitted by Mark Gold a Weekend Warrior from Concord, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2001

Strengths:    Easily pumps road tire to 120 pounds. Has built-in gauge. Not much bigger than a mini pump. Has a foot stand and flexible hose so it is like a floor pump.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Topeak Road Morph. I can now put my old, useless mini-pump to rest. The Topeak is only slightly bigger than a mini-pump, but it works like a floor pump. Fairly easy to inflate road tires to 120 pounds. I am no longer concerned about flatting and burning 10 minutes and 5,000 calories trying to pump up my road tires over 80 pounds. If you're looking for a small, easy-to-use pump that can actually fill up your road tires, I recommend the Topeak Road Morph.

Purchased At:   Nashbar Online

Similar Products Used:   Wrench Force mini pump

Bike Setup:   Airborne Zepplin road bike

Submitted by Matt Tillotson a Cross Country Rider from St.Paul, MN, Ramsey

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2001

Strengths:    Easily pumps tires to whatever pressure you want. I accidently put my road tires to 130 before I looked at the gauge. I checked the gauge with a very accurate one, and it was bang on. Guess I just got a good gauge.

Weaknesses:    Weight. It is heavy, but worth hauling around in my mind.

Bottom Line:
Geat pump. Originally purchased for our tandem, as weight was not an issue there. We helped so many people on group rides, that pump got a major workout from day one. Everyone was impressed with how easily it took the tires up to 70 or even 130+ pressure. Over the years it has been through mud muck and everything, I have cleaned it three times, used silicone grease, and it performs as good as new. Bought one for my commuter too.

Favorite Trail:   any road

Purchased At:   REI, Roseville,MN

Similar Products Used:   Nearly every frame pump made, zephal, Blackburn(destroyed it), several others that did not last.

Bike Setup:   Santana Arriva tandem, Novara Randonee used for commuting

Submitted by Derek a Weekend Warrior from Springfield, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2001

Strengths:    Solid Constuction. Accurate Pressure Gauge. A lot of air in such a little tube. Tuff.

Weaknesses:    None as of yet

Bottom Line:
This thing is great. I us it a lot. I can't believe how fast it will fill up a tire. I have checked the accuracy of the gauge and it is within 1lb. of true. I did have to make some minor engineering changes to the holder though. I did some filing down of the plastic so I can put a Velcro strap through the middle loop to hold the pump on the bike. I put the whole thing through hell with mud and water and she still keeps going. So, I give it 5 flaming poos for value and 4 overall for the small change I had to make. .

Purchased At:   Cycle Center

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek 8000

Submitted by ToddM a Cross Country Rider from ND

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2000

Strengths:    Pumps fast, and easy, Flexiable hose, foot peg, by far the best overall mini/frame pump I've used.

Weaknesses:    Little big, just fits in a camelbak Hawg, have to take apart the valve head to switch from presta/schrader.

Bottom Line:
I've used a few mini pumps, with most you get one of two things, either a high volume like the Cdale M501 but it will only hit 60-70psi, or a small pump like the Gyro that will hit over 100psi but will take forver to fill a mtnbike tire to 50psi.

This is the first one where you could get 50psi out of a 2.0 tire in under 150 strokes, and 100+ psi in a road tire without killing yourself. Mine does not have the built in psi gauge but most are so inaccurate you mise well go by feel anyway.

The only thing I could see to make it better is a valve head that didn't have to be taken apart to switch from presta/schrader. Other than that small thing its still by far the best all around mini/frame pump I've used so it gets 5 by 5.

Purchased At:   TJmax

Similar Products Used:   Serfas, Gyro, Scott carbon, Cdale MP501

Bike Setup:   Klein mantra, Cdale 2.8 road bike

Submitted by ElefantDude a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, Az USA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2000

Strengths:    Ease of use, easy to convert from Schraeder to standard valve and vice versa. I didn't think it would mount to my F/S Trek VRX200, but it did with no problem!

Bottom Line:
I've used the pump quite a few times now, especially after a few run ins with cacti and damn thorns on the trails... The pump has never let me down. So far it's handled the stress of the 100 degree plus heat!! That's probably the only reason I broke a sweat while using it..... If you want a good pump and do not want to deal with the mini's, the Topeak Combo Master Blaster is the one for U!!

Favorite Trail:   all of 'em!!

Bike Setup:   '99 Trek VRX200. Nothing changed.. All original parts! Added JetDesign Dual beam lights, VDO lighted computer, and replaced the pedals...

Submitted by Chris Owens a Weekend Warrior from San Carlos, CA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 1999

Strengths:
Good for riders who find most frame pumps hard to use.

Weaknesses:
Not lightweight. Lots of moving parts to break.

Bottom Line:
I have to agree with the earlier post about how inaccurate the built in guage is. I inflated a tube so hard it exploded this morning, putting a kink in my commute. The guage read ~55psi.It's a clever design, and works fine for me since I find most frame pumps are a pain to use, and I have an old heavy bike anyway, but it's a bit gimmicky and certainly no featherweight.

Monte Bello Open Space

3 months

Submitted by James Doanes a Weekend Warrior from Westminster, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 1999

Strengths:
Like carrying your floor pump with you.

Weaknesses:
Models with turnscrew valve leak. Only get the model with the valvehead that has the lever clamp.

Bottom Line:
My full suspension bike made it a problem getting the pump completely under the top bar of my frame, but it was real close. I didn't really care because there wasn't another pump that came close to this one! It is just like a floor pump, but a lot lighter. Those other small ones that you hold in your hands are a pain!!!

Submitted by dana a Cross-Country Rider from arizona, for now

Date Reviewed: September 2, 1999

Bottom Line:
when i got tired of little mini's that were a pain to pump with and that seemed to break every other month, i went out + bought the best, easiest to use, most bombproof pump that i could find, this one. it is ridiculously easy and comfortable to use, will probably last for ten or more years, and is coveted by all who see it. i rode across the country with this + actually enjoyed fixing flats because of it. when i locked my bike up outside of stores i would leave my helmet + everything outside, but always take the pump in with me. it simply rocks, buy it, it's the only pump you'll ever need

Submitted by J.D. Lien a Cross-Country Rider from Camrose, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 28, 1999

Bottom Line:
The CMB is a very impressive pump overall. I use it to fix flats and maintain road bike tires all the time, and there's no problem getting the high pressures that I need. Sure, it's a bit heavy, but it's got a kickass aluminum barrel that'll last forever, and I suppose you could use it as a nightstick to beat off thugs if you have to.
My only problems are:
1. It doesn't have a cap to prevent crap from getting in the head.
2. If you aren't careful when pulling it off, the head flies off the pump hose, and you lose a bit of air. (It goes right back on, and can be avoided however.)
It hasn't let me down yet, so five flaming pieces of whatever.

Tillicum Beach