Specialized 03 Airtool Comp Floor Pump Pump

Redesign of a classic. This floor pump incorporates great innovative features in an affordable package.

Submitted by Bernhard a Weekend Warrior from Columbia, Md

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2011

Strengths:    nice pump

Weaknesses:    unable to get replacement parts
price

Bottom Line:
Customer service ??????

would never buy again. bought a new pump with lifetime warranty.

Similar Products Used:   topeak

Bike Setup:   hybrid
road

Submitted by Beantownie a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA, USofA

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2009

Strengths:    Well designed, solid durable construction. Reversible presta/schraeder, quick release valve fitting. Dual psi/bar scale with target pressure indicator. Rapid, effortless inflation even at highest pressures

Weaknesses:    None except that it's such a well-designed, efficient pump you really don't have enough time to enjoy pumping up your tires when things are so effortless

Bottom Line:
It does what it's supposed to do without a flaw. Any negative comments you might see for this pump appear to be posted by mechanically challenged individuals who apparently are unaware of the difference between a presta and schraeder tire valve.

Favorite Trail:   the shortest one to Iggy's Bakery

Purchased At:   came with a used bik

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn, Tefal frame pumps and no-name imported frame and floor pumps

Bike Setup:   Six bikes, four road and two mountain. Two road frames are custom built to size and custom fitted. Two road bikes and two mountain bikes are factory made and fitted

Submitted by Ben a Weekend Warrior from Lake Worth, FL

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2008

Strengths:    air pressure guage

Weaknesses:    switch hitter valve

Bottom Line:
disappointed with this product. My pump has very little mileage on it, yet all of a sudden, I cannot get it to pump air into tires with Presta valves.

Favorite Trail:   N/a

Purchased At:   Jtown Bikes in Jupit

Bike Setup:   road bike-Specialized Allez

Submitted by Don from Ohio

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
Look, I can't help it if people don't know how to use a pump, but I thought it was fairly obvious. I looked at the head, ,said "oh, that screws off to allow you to change it for schrader threads" and it did. I did what I had to so it was set up for my schrader, put it back together and finished but hitting my presta's. Its not complex, there's a part that is removable when using it on the schrader. Its super easy to use, inflates fast as heck, gets the job done and has removable changeable parts. buy, like, three so you can have one at the house, one in the shop area, and one in the car...

Purchased At:   Spin Bike Shop

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Birmingham, AL

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2007

Strengths:    Looks good. Recommended by the LBS.

Weaknesses:    Like the other reviewer, first time I tried to use it I hear a loud snap. The tip comes loose all the time. Its virtually impossible to get this thing to form a seal. I can still get my tires aired up but I have to pump them up with just a partial seal.

Also, no instructions or anything. Maybe for and experienced rider, this thing is a no brainer, and maybe if it worked it would be, but for me it wasn't.

Bottom Line:
POS

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountain

Bike Setup:   Specialized RockHopper

Submitted by Pete a Weekend Warrior from Amityville NY

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2003

Strengths:    Looks great, large tripod foot, soft handle.

Weaknesses:    'Switch Hitter' pump head

Bottom Line:
I popped $60 bucks for this pile ($20 more than the 'comp' model) for the nice polished aluminum body, foot, and head.... Whelp, I can't say how it works... it doesn't.

First flip of the lever something broke, and when I pump air just blows out the back of the pump head.

I'm not amused. I could have gotten another Kmart job for $7.99 that would have worked (although I'd have to find a presta adapter) and would probably last ten years.

Specialized will be getting a call in the morning for sure!

Purchased At:   Bike Depot

Similar Products Used:   Kmart foot pump/floor pumps, Zefal mini frame pump, Old, old, OLD silca frame pump (which turns out is still the best pump I own...)

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR Enduro, Vitus roadbike, and an old rat bike I leave in the back of the truck.

Submitted by Ryan R a Cross Country Rider from Long Island N.Y.

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2003

Strengths:    Excellant volume per pump, Dosen't leak (So Far), Nice large gauge with slidable bezel for no under and over inflate's, Made of aluiminum & Steel so it looks and feels durable, Adapts to both presta and scrader valves with the same pump head. Not slip compound on base making it easy to use when in your shoes.

Weaknesses:    Plastic handle and pump head this is the only thing that looks like it would break. Thats it!

Bottom Line:
Haven't used many floor pumps before but this one seems like it's gonna last man. I use to use jut my frame pump to put a little air in before I rode each day if needed but after losing a s!*t load of tubes to snakebites I decided it's about time I got a real pump and stopped using the crap K-mart foot pump. I got this one because I like Specialized equipment so far and the one thing I wanted was a large visable gauge and something durable. I didn't want to spend alot of money either best useed to upgrade my bike. I got what I asked for and this pump is great try one and you'll agree. PEACE.

Favorite Trail:   Any Single Track

Purchased At:   www.Specialized.com

Similar Products Used:   K-mart crap foot pump, Blackburn handle pump lasted about two months

Bike Setup:   02 Specialzed Stumpjumper FSR XC Disc

Submitted by Len a Cross Country Rider from Rhode Island, USA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
Well I just came back from the store (which was having a sale and they were kind enough to substitute this instead of the advertised Tpeak JoeBlow which they ran out of) with the red version of this pump in hand a couple hours ago so these are initial impressions. This pump was originally $39.99 at the LBS and compared to some of the more expensive ones which were $10-$20 more the cylinder seems to have smaller volume. On the other hand it seemed to compare rather well to other ones in the price range. I really like the steady 3 “foot” design. It seems to be more steady and the pump is not as much prone to tip over to the front. One unique feature of this particular pump, as well as newer Specialized floor pumps in general is the addition of the (and I quote from the Specialized website) "Switch-Hitter head technology uses the same head for both Schrader and Presta Valves". I don't see myself being sold on this gimmick too too much, as I don't envision needing to switch from Schrader to Presta that quickly, but it’s a nice touch if nothing more. So far I've used it to raise the pressure on my bike and everything went smoothly. Although, while trying to figure out the Switch-Hitter head I let too much air out while trying to attach it to the valve. Maybe once I get used to it some more I'll have better luck. All in all great value as I got it for 22 bucks, but overall there are probably better pumps in the $40 range, which is what this one was originally.

Purchased At:   Caster's Cycles (www.bikeri.com