Home | Reviews | Pump | SKS

SKS Foot Pump

SKS Foot pump

Submitted by Ganze a Weekend Warrior from allen, tx

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2011

Strengths:    the rennkompressor is beefy, uber-quality

Weaknesses:    the rennkompressor is um.....heavy, but if you are a weight weenie about pumps you have a problem

Bottom Line:
I got it fairly cheap and I wanted a classic, beastly good pump to replace my worn out avenir. It's a work of art in my mind; classic in every sense of the word. Overbuilt and completely serviceable I thought I wanted a new silca but the rennkompressor is superior, to the new silcas at least.

Favorite Trail:   asp

Purchased At:   amazon

Similar Products Used:   silca, avenir, blackburn, specialized

Bike Setup:   a park bike and a 29er singlespeed, as well as a suzuki sv1000 that uses this pump

Submitted by FMJ FMJ a Cross Country Rider from Lourdes, France

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2007

Strengths:    Extremly well built, durable, efficient and precise. Want to ask for more ?!!!

Weaknesses:    The weight (2.5kg) !!! Well only if you want to carry it with you during a ride.... :o)

Otherwise, take the Multi-Valve head instead of the standard. More convenient and versatile !

Bottom Line:
This pump is a must-have !

Favorite Trail:   Lapierre X-Control 410

Purchased At:   LP Dealer

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Verona, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2005

Strengths:    Quality construction. Those crafty Germans also thought of folding legs that allow you to hang the pump upside down. Of course the pump handle has a locking position so the handle will not extend downward if you hang it upsidedown. Two option are available to store the pump head one upright and another between legs for the hose if upsidedown. Very efficient air delivery. The air chuck fits both P & S valves, but see below.

Weaknesses:    I used the pump only a few times on a Schrader valve stem for my daughters road bike. The valve threads chewed up the soft rubber grommet to the point where I can no longer use it on my Presta valves. Buy extra grommets if you are switching between valves, or keep this pump for your high end equipment.

Bottom Line:
Great piece of equipment , even better if you are a gear head and really appreciate fine design and function.

Purchased At:   Excel Sports

Similar Products Used:   Zefal frame fit pump, flawless, 20 years old.
Blackburn Shorty,the only mini that I found capable of pumping any air at all.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale tandem, mostly 105 components, converting to lighter wheels so my 10 year old daughter and I can further embarass studs on $4,000 rigs as we blow by at 30 mph..

Submitted by Martin Hojgaard a Racer from Denmark

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2003

Strengths:    Heavy duty construction, all parts replaceable at reasonable prices, high stroke volume, air pressure gauge.

Bottom Line:
The good ol' Rennkompressor is all German quality and solid as a Tiger Tank. The all steel housing will last forever and the pump is solid enough to double as a security device against tresspassers. The gauge is easy to read and the solid rubber tube delivers 10 bars to your tires without any problems.
This pump is one of these rare items that you can disassemble and repair all by yourself, in casea rubber seal wears down or a screw breaks - I love it. This pump will undoubtably outlast all my bikes.

If you use a pump at home just every now and then - get a floor pump. This SKS-pump will probably last 10 years and at 30-40$ that's 4 bucks a year for inflating tires without a hazzle!

Purchased At:   Heino Cykler, Copenhagen

Bike Setup:   Various Road, MTB and commuter bikes

Submitted by Gary White a Cross Country Rider from London, UK

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2002

Strengths:    Very heavy duty construction, all parts are servicable or replacable as spare. Excellent adaptor head. Very fast. Quick enough for UST too.

Weaknesses:    Reading in bar only (this is popular in continental Europe, but being Brits, we like to be be different and use PSI. However, just remember the 1 bar = 15psi approx

Bottom Line:
Highly recommended. Unless you drive your pick-up over it, you'll be passing it on to your grandchildren when you've gone to the great North Shore in the sky!

Purchased At:   Cycle Surgery, London, UK