Home | Reviews | Pump | SKS

SKS Airbase Floor Pump Pump

This floor pump features an ovalized, precision aluminum barrel with an integrated air channel for immediate high-pressure pumping.. AVACS (All Valves Adjustable Connecting System) adapts to any valve without having to change heads or adjust the pump. Solidized cast-iron base and folded rubber-coated footrests makes for a stable and long-lasting pump. Pressure gauge is located at the top of the pump, making it easy to read. Large, ergonomic softgrip handle is comfortable to hold.

Submitted by Sherri

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2014

Strengths:    Great customer service

Bottom Line:
I've just had an excellent customer service experience with SKS. They sent me a replacement part--the silver ring and a new seal which had been lost when I lent the pump to a bike tour--and followed up with specific email instructions and photos to assist me. They did not charge me for the parts or shipping. To add to the information on a previous review, their email is sks.sales@sks-usa.com. The pump has been great for 4 years now and I expect many more, as I'd never had trouble until losing the small parts.

Submitted by databaseking_1@hotmail.com a Racer

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2013

Strengths:    It is extremely durable and well constructed.The hose is long and the gauge is fairly easy to read. A long hose enables the ease use of brass push-on presto valve adapter. .

Weaknesses:    Yes it falls over and the valve sucks. I have not seen any floor pump with a reliable easy to use valve. I cut the value off and bought a $15 US brass push-on valve for a presto valve. That solved the problem.

Bottom Line:
I'm replacing this pump because gauge stopped working after 6 year of use about 3 or 4 times a week. I went to 3 shops today to test the current pumps. I tested about 5 pumps. All of them with the exception of a screw on value sucked. I haven't found this pump in any store or I would have bought it again. Like I mentioned above I cut the valve off of this pump and used a hose clamp to secure a brass push-on valve. You push it straight on to the valve stem and pull straight up to remove. It does take some effort to pull it back off because it work like it is supposed to work with a snug fit on the valve stem.

Submitted by Marco Lemes a Cross Country Rider from Davis, CA

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2008

Strengths:    Solid body construction, decent efficiency.

Weaknesses:    Feet: this pump will not remain standing on its feed, the folding feet are held by a plastic piece that's prone to breaking, and they don't hold the pump on the floor firmly when the pump is being used. The gasket...major design flaw!

Bottom Line:
The pump is of good construction, but some design features are not well thought out. Nonetheless, SKS is a serious company that stand behind its products. After having the pump for 4 years, it became impossible to use it because of the notorious gasket that dries out. I called SKS on a weekend and left them a message inquiring how I could replace the gasket. They called Monday morning and offered to not only replace the gasket, but to upgrade the whole nozzle and they offered to ship it to me for free! I got it a couple of days later. Great customer service! The pump now works very well. I'm happy with the result. Despite the design flaws, I feel compelled to give this pump four chilles!

Similar Products Used:   Topek Joe Blow

Bike Setup:   Several bikes.

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2006

Strengths:    Durable and smooth. It fills up tires quickly. SKS supports it too, no questions asked (see below).

Weaknesses:    Pump head (specifically the rubber gasket). I noticed the same issue that virtually everyone else has mentioned, that the rubber dries out, probably after no more than two years. The inadequate seal means you can't inflate very high, I got to about 35 psi.

HOWEVER, it's exposed rubber, folks, it's going to wear out. What really counts to me is what the company will do to fix it. I called SKS USA (thanks to whoever first listed their #; it is 618-395-2400 in case you need it), and the first person I talked to just took my name and address and shipped me a whole new head, gratis. Works for me...

Bottom Line:
Great pump. The fact that SKS gives you free replacement parts when things wear out is a big plus for me.

Bike Setup:   stock Giant XTC

Submitted by Zeus Yiamouyiannis a Cross Country Rider from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2006

Strengths:    Smooth, strong stroke with a lot of air delivered per stroke. Durable cylinder with high pressure delivery.

Weaknesses:    Cryptic system for shrader/presta redux, but okay once you get used to it. Bad rubber gasket on the air chuck, wears out after a year of use (okay, you can get it replaced, but c'mon, I expect better from German engineering). Plastic brace holding the legs on the bottom broke. Why wasn't it metal?

Bottom Line:
Feast or famine with this one. Stupid flaws on crucial parts of the pump, yet some of the highest quality workmanship and materials on others. Bottom line: you want the air delivered, and this one does it well, IF you have the replacement parts for the stupid flaws. SKS-Germany has a very poor website (in terms of trying to find an actual person to contact) so I'll just copy the US distributor in this message if you need the parts.
Company SKS USA Corporation
eMail: send e-mail
Country: USA

Favorite Trail:   Berkeley Hills

Purchased At:   Dupont Circle, Washington DC

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn floor pump (the higher end one)

Submitted by Gordon Shumway a Cross Country Rider from Omicron Perci I 8

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2006

Strengths:    solid construction, pumps up tires faster than just about every pump, looks nice, has survived shop and race use for about 5 years now.

Weaknesses:    the only weakness is human error. if you're inept or retarded, you don't have the mental capacity to hold the pump steady when you're inflating a tire. also, if you just ripped the instructions off the hose, you would have known where to ORDER SPARE PARTS FROM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, you would have also found that you get SPARE PARTS FOR FREE FOR LIFE TO THE ORIGINAL OWNER.

Bottom Line:
as mentioned before, if the people below had taken one second to read the info that came with the pump, they wouldn't have the complaints they have. you get free parts for life you retards!!!!!!!!!!

of course, it's fairly pointless to mention this to some, who have come to rely on the base of the pump, to hold things steady. if you're too inept to hold a pump steady, or flail wildly as you pump up a tire, don't buy this pump. you'll only make yourself look silly when you complain and whine about the pump's short comings.

Favorite Trail:   most earth trails are fine...

Purchased At:   on line retailer....the LBS here sucks....

Similar Products Used:   a lot of cheap plastic pumps. this pump easily blows away the Silca pumps made of cheap galvanized steel tubing. i hope the bike know-it-alls don't come after me for saying that!

Bike Setup:   what's the differece? all my bikes have tires. and all of those tires have tubes. and all of those tubes need air.

Submitted by sweetnsourbkr a Cross Country Rider from Walnut Creek, CA

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2005

Strengths:    Consistent pump action, always gets the pressure to whatever I want it to be ......

Weaknesses:    ..... as long as the air chuck works. It also tends to tip over if not on level ground, or if you have one foot holding it down on soft ground.

Bottom Line:
The biggest problem with this otherwise awesome pump is that the air chuck seal rubber compound hardens after about a year. Once this happens, it can no longer maintain an effective seal, which at low pressures is fine, but at anything higher than 40psi, leakage occurs. I'm currently looking for a replacement chuck that, hopefully, won't cost the same as the pump.

Can't seem to find any contact info for SKS on the internet either, so I can't get in touch with customer service. Perhaps someone here has an email/phone that they're willing to share?

Favorite Trail:   Lake Sonoma

Similar Products Used:   Zefal, Silca

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2005

Strengths:    Fewer strokes to completely pump up tire. Outstanding customer service.

Weaknesses:    Not the best with schrader valves, but I don't use it for that purpose often. Gauge not extremely accurate; but haven't found one that is accurate.

Bottom Line:
This is a great pump. I have to be careful not to overfill my tires because there is alot of air pressure from each stroke. I ride a road bike more right now (because of gas prices), so I'm using this every day to keep proper pressure for the smaller road tires.

I like the locking mechanism for the handle, the slot to store the valve, and the folding feet. It takes up no unnecessary room in the car.

For all those who have had problems with replacement parts, have you tried calling the U.S. distributor? Go to the website, the address is located on your pump (www.sks-germany.com).

I called and they sent me two replacement gaskets at no charge. Later, I had a problem where the plastic part on the bottom broke, dislodging one of the folding feet. I called the company, and they sent me a brand new pump, and I had the old one for nearly 5 years. This is great customer service.

It's unfortunate that all of you have given this product a bad review, based on replacement parts availability and/or customer service.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Margaret/Dowdy Lake

Similar Products Used:   Joe Blow, Park Tool

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight (LX & XT), Trek Madone 5.9 Ultegra 10

Submitted by Brandon from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2004

Strengths:    Heavy cast iron and aluminum construction. Feet fold, allowing easy removal from under the immense amount of bike gear in the truck. The pump handle locks in place for transport

Weaknesses:    The weaknesses are as follows:
1) the use of plastic to retain the folding feet. If the feet are pointed down and you set the pump on the ground...yep the legs will snap off. I had to fix mine by drilling four holes in the cast iron base, tapping them and screwing a metal plate to the bottom to retain the feet.
2) The gasket in the pump head is to soft and wears out within a year. Still have not found a replacement for sale. I had to get some rubber tubing and cut my own gaskets.
3)The handle lock is plastic as well, it is starting to wear out. I fix this with a small bungy cord.

Bottom Line:
A pump at this price should function beyond a year in all respects. Its ability to move air, its feet staying on and a handle lock. I would definately look at something else next time around.

Similar Products Used:   To many to mention

Bike Setup:   Trek 9900 and STP 400

Submitted by John G a Weekend Warrior from Corvallis, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2004

Strengths:    Pump gives great pressures (>200 psi), nice long stroke. Good reliable guage.

Weaknesses:    NO REPLACEMENT PARTS for gaskets and heads. So, the head should be considered disposable. I just went to the local wrench and jury-rigged a nice TOPEAK upgrade onto the SKS base. TOPEAK has replacement parts, so I am good to go AFTER ANOTHER $20.

Bottom Line:
MAKE SURE YOUR PUMP HAS REPLACEMENT PARTS UNLESS YOU WANT TO UPGRADE OR DISPOSE IN A YEAR.

Favorite Trail:   the road/trail I ride today

Similar Products Used:   30 years of searching for good floor pump

Bike Setup:   Bontrager hard tail MTB, Lightspeed Ti Road, MTB tandem, kids bikes, et cetera.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from FL

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2004

Strengths:    It appears heavily constructed. I liked the easy on/off and being able to switch between schrader and presta.

Weaknesses:    The rubber seal doesn't seal after ~year of use. No replacement parts.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy this pump.

Favorite Trail:   Otero -- New Mexico

Submitted by Jim Carpenter a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City UTAH

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2004

Strengths:    Good read-outs, grip, nice locking feature, fold away feet make it good for travel,fewer pumps to reach desired PSI.

Weaknesses:    Where the heck do I get a replacement seal kit for the valve? I had to fashion one out of tire patch, it's worked for a year but it would be nice to have the orginal seal set.

Bottom Line:
I like this pump, BUT a maintenance kit would be really, really nice to have.

Favorite Trail:   Great Western, Big cottonwood to Millcreek