Home | Reviews | Pump | Silca

Silca Super Pista Pump

3.07/5 (14 Reviews)

The Silca Super Pista was introduced as a higher volume alternative to the venerable Pista that we've all had since back in the day. When we tried to fill our mountain bike tires, we realized the small volume/high pressure Pista, while perfect for road tires, meant way too much exertion to fill a knobby tire. The Super Pista has all the virtues of the Pista, but with a larger air chamber, which means 20% more stroke volume and faster pumping. The 8" Beechwood handle was a vast improvement over the tiny plastic handle on the Pista (though the newest version of the Pista also has a wooden handle). There's plenty of room for man hands, and the Super Pista is taller as well to make life easy on your back when you need to top off a few sets of wheels at once. Silca pumps are so well-loved because they seem to last forever, and when something wears out after your first decade of usage, you can replace it for a few dollars and get loads more use out of it. That's what we've always done -- a replacement leather cup here and a fresh rubber washer there. The Silca Super Pista has a large base for greater stability. The gauge is mounted down low, out of harms way should the pump get knocked over. And you know it will get knocked over. That's no big deal because the pump housing is made of steel. The two-part head can be used for either Presta or Schrader valves. It comes in Black only.

Submitted by Chia a Weekend Warrior from PJ, Selangor, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to use and fills up rather quickly. The Presta Chuck fits easily and if you dont push it all the way in the presta valve, it comes off rather easily. No air leaks. Use two thumbs to pry off the chuck if you accidently push the chuck all the way to Presta valve and becomes too tight. I have no problem seeing the gauge although it is located at the bottom. I love retro and this retro construction and look just works for me.
Since parts are replaceable, it is seaviceable.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
One for keepers and hopefully many many years of faithful service.

Purchased At:   Ebay Italia

Bike Setup:   Gios Compact Pro Steel frame, 10sp Chorus Groupset, Ambrosio Excellight wheels.

Submitted by FrankieJoe a Cross Country Rider from Tucson,AZ

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2009

Strengths:    Silca brand, nice steel tube, wooden handle, rebuildable unit,replacement parts available, protected gauge

Weaknesses:    included Presta and Schrader chuck are worthless, gauge is kinda hard to read while using/standing, leather plunger bends out of shape if stored on its side.

Bottom Line:
My Silca had arrived with a damaged schrader chuck, which was fine. I had read reviews about brand new silca pumps that people were buying and about how retarded they thought the included chucks are. I had read the review from the guy on this page who replaced the chuck on his silca with a upgrade kit from topeak. The sales guy "rob" had kindly offered to replaced the entire pump from just this one issue. I could tell (from working customer service myself) that rob offers quality customer service on behalf of his company. I kept the pump anyway and ordered a twinhead upgrade kit from topeak. When it finally arrived I cut the silca hose in half and attached the twinhead. The upgrade kit is quite simple to install. So, now I had Sweet looking Silca pump with a 4 foot hose. I tried on my bike and it inflated the tire but, the handle on pump slowly would rise up to its extended position when I let go of the handle. The valve on the pump was letting air come back through! I let the air leak through the pump and figured I was losing about 1 PSI a minute,not a big deal really but, I resolved to fix this problem. I downloaded the users manual: http://www.silcapompe.it/instruction-silca/AWVM0155.pdf
and found out that I needed to disasemble the value body. Inside the valve body is a spring loaded pin that has a cone shaped end (AKA the non return valve). That cone shape end has a rubber o-ring on it. Once disasembled, I found some metal shavings inside the valve body and some stuck on the o-ring of this cone shaped pin. These shavings were getting in the way of the non return valve being properly seated and thus letting the air return to pump tube instead of keeping the PSI in my tire. Just a simple cleaning to flush out the shavings and then I could reasemble the valve. I used some PTFE tape on the closure cap to make sure it was airtight and put the whole pump back together. This pump now works perfectly! I can also tell that, dispite the intial fustration. This really is a quality pump that will last for many years, I may even pass it on when I'm too old to ride. I have 2 others pumps but, I now just use this one, its my fav.... Those who don't mind or, enjoy working on their own bike, also won't mind a little work to maintain this pump might like it too. But, if your used to paying someone else to work on your bike for you, don't bother.

Favorite Trail:   fantasy island

Purchased At:   wekeepyoucycling.com

Similar Products Used:   Hurricane pro team

Bike Setup:   2008 Giant hardtail

Submitted by patersg a Cross Country Rider from Oakville

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2009

Strengths:    Build quality. Not made in China

Weaknesses:    Chuck

Bottom Line:
Decent pump, but not quite the same quality as the Silca I bought 18 years ago. Still better than average. Bought this because I couldn't find any other that reached the 140 psi needed for my roadbike.
Chuck takes getting used to, mainly with removal, can be a real b***h to pull off. Once in a while it leaks a bit, requiring a couple seconds of repositioning. Otherwise, I have no issues, so I'm satisfied. Haven't tried it on schraeder valves.

Favorite Trail:   Hardwood Hills

Purchased At:   La Carrera Toronto

Similar Products Used:   Zefal

Submitted by Econoline a Cross Country Rider from socal

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2008

Strengths:    Quality construction
Reaches high pressures quickly

Bottom Line:
I have both the Super Pista and Pista pumps, and much prefer the Super. It does require somewhat more force to achieve higher pressures than the regular Pista because you are moving more air per stroke, but the big wooden handle makes it pretty easy. I would recommend replacing the OEM Silca chuck with a Presta only Silca chuck, and shot a little silicon spray into the chuck if it binds on the tube stem.

This is a great pump, simple to maintain, and will last forever as spare parts are readily available.

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Silca Pista, Medai Super

Bike Setup:   numerous road and mtb

Submitted by FREDERICK a Weekend Warrior from MASTIC BEACH, N.Y.

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2007

Strengths:    Silca name, extreme pumping effeciency, very comfortable wood handle, also own the Pista.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I cannot believe the complaints some people have logged about such a great pump. A suggestion is to squirt a small amount of silicone into the chuck and some of the valve stem, then simply SCREW the chuck on and screw it off, very simple and i never tear a tube. The super pista has amazing pumping effeciency and the wooden handle is very comfortable and looks great, no my pump does not leak air anywhere and the chuck does not blow off, etc. It's a great pump, i feel it's not being used properly, no, i do not work for silca, yes the gauge would be better positioned higher but i will live with it.

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Basic Pista + another pump that i traded in/unloaded because of it being nearly impossible to remove chuck without tearing tube so i bought the basic Pista.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale system 6 with Rolf Elan rs wheels and selle san Marco total carbon seat, 14.9 lbs.

Submitted by R a Weekend Warrior from Hixson, TN USA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2007

Bottom Line:
If, like me, you already own one of these darn pumps and aren't happy, do yourself a favor and buy the Topeak Smarthead kit from Performance Bicycle for about $15. Use the little hoseclamp to fit the Topeak hose assembly on the Silca pump. It will at least make it something more than a tall doorstop.

Submitted by R a Weekend Warrior from Hixson, TN USA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2007

Strengths:    None...oh, I suppose it'll make me more likely to check a website such as this before I buy something.

Weaknesses:    The chuck is designed by an idiot. However, it will work well for anybody born with three arms....two to pump and one to hold the chuck on the valve stem to prevent leaking. What a waste of money.

Bottom Line:
Do not waste your money on this product. Please, just by a Specialized or Joe Blow. I only wish I would have read a review or two instead of believing the Nashbar hype. No wonder it was on sale. I would give it a zero rating if that was listed.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Joe Blow, which is still working fine two years later.

Bike Setup:   Just a couple normal road bikes.

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2007

Strengths:    Fancy name, fancy looking

Weaknesses:    The chuck, the wooden handle, the guage

Bottom Line:
We thought we'd try this pump because it would accommodate both mountain bike tire pressures and high pressure required for road tires.

It seemed like a quality product when it first arrived. We soon found out it was junk. The chuck wouldn't seat on the valve, so it leaked and leaked. The higher the pressure, the faster the leak. It was so bad we couldn't even get 40psi in a mountain tire.

Because there is no washer or stop on the handle, it's incredibly noisy to use. And uncomfortable.

The guage is way, way low and the numbers are really, really small and there is no arrow on the guage rim to point out the proper inflation point, so unless you have microscopic vision, you'll need a second person to tell you when you've reached the proper pressure (because if you stop to look, you'll lose any pressure you might have had because of the stupid, leaky chuck).

In a nutshell, I cannot imagine a worse designed product. I can't imagine how the manufacturer actually offered it up for sale without laughing his or her butt off.

We are returning it. If they will not accept the return (and we don't know why they wouldn't), we will salvage the pretty wood handle for some other purpose, cannibalize any other parts we can and call it a lesson in not checking reviews before purchasing.

Purchased At:   70.00

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   mountain and road bikes

Submitted by Mike B. a Weekend Warrior from Iowa, USA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2007

Strengths:    Overall construction is better than the average $20 pump. Parts can be replaced.

Weaknesses:    The presta adapter is comical. It's not threaded, it's merely a big rubber washer in a huge brass can. The shrader valve connector works fine until it's under pressure. At high pressures (120 psi) it's very hard to remove. Pumping efficiency overall is fair to poor.

Bottom Line:
The new generation of Silca Super Pista isn't the one you may have heard about that's been "working great for 20 years." It's overpriced and the connections to the valve stem are poorly designed.

Similar Products Used:   Wrench Force, Serfas.

Bike Setup:   Road bike

Submitted by Matthew from Olympia, Washington, USA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2007

Strengths:    Made in Italy, not some sweatshop in Taiwan or China.
Solid construction: steel, wood, brass, rubber
Replaceable parts, should that be necessary.

Weaknesses:    The chuck! Like everyone is saying, it is a real pain in tootsie to get off of the valve. Also, if you don't have it situated just right, it starts to leak. However, I'd always found that when it starts to leak (which happens at high pressures), it just takes a little tilt to get it in the right position. Basically, the chuck has a hell of a learning curve, but once you've figured it out, it's not bad.

Bottom Line:
I wish I could find another union made bicycle pump that didn't have the chuck issue. I really like Silca as a company; I just wish they had made the chuck better. It doesn't seem like it should be too tough to make a good one. Aside from the chuck issue, I think it's a really great pump.

Purchased At:   some website

Similar Products Used:   Topeak Joe Blow

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from SLC UT

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2007

Strengths:    Simplicity, Built to old world standards,Brass & Steel forget the plastic junk on the market. How about the fact they been in business for 80 years and owned and ran by the same family.

Weaknesses:    Have had some problems with the chuck but just replaced with the new 40.0 lock on chuck works on both my short stem MTB & my Road Bikes

Bottom Line:
Just get one you'll have it for years

Similar Products Used:   Other junk such as topeak & blackburn

Bike Setup:   Trek SSL Madone, Specialized Stumpy Pro

Submitted by Kyle a Cross Country Rider from Jackson, WY

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2006

Strengths:    Nice looking

Weaknesses:    Chuck leaks and gets stuck on stem
Pump leaks at guage
Leaks at chuck
Chuck gets stuck on stem
Harsh action
Mediocre volume

Bottom Line:
I bought this when my Zefel (that I never really liked) blew up, based on the rave reviews and the fact that I'm really attracted to simple, well-constructed stuff that can be rebuilt. Ooops.

First of all, the chuck is finicky as to what kind of stem you use. The long threaded stems I have cause it to start to leak @120psi, no big deal on the MTB, but not so great on my road bikes. I've heard it said that unthreaded stems work better, but I really shouldn't have to go out and buy all new tubes for my $80 pump to work.

The volume isn't very good on each stroke also, so it wouldn't be a great choice for pumping an MTB tire from zero.

Also, around 120psi, the pump starts leaking where the hose meets the guage--so even if you get the chuck to stop leaking, it only goes to 120psi.

The chuck, though it leaks, gets REALLY stuck on the stem. I thought I was going to have to get the power tools out to get it off--seriously. I tried it a number of times, thinking I was doing something wrong, but basically you have to rock it back and forth for about 5 minutes pulling as hard as you can to get it off. If you use bladed spokes, wear gloves.

Finally, the action at the bottom of the stroke is very harsh. There's no bumper, so it just slams down against metal and the wood handle has no give.

I'm going to try to return it today, but if the shop won't take it back, honestly, I'll probably just throw it in the garbage and call it an expensive lesson. I've got a 10 year old $20 Performance brand pump with a broken guage that still works like butter.

Purchased At:   80

Similar Products Used:   Tons

Bike Setup:   One with flat tires

Submitted by seth a Racer from brooklyn, ny

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2006

Strengths:    the silca name - the single solitary strength and NOTHING ELSE. this is the first time i've ever submitted an online review of anything. but i feel compelled to share my experiences with this product in a hopeful warning to potential buyers. this applies to the new model.

well, to be honest, in the one year of constant use the pneumatic mechanics have not crapped out. that's after an entire year of use. WOOPDEEDOOOOO!!!

Weaknesses:    everything else. the most rediculous feature is the chuck. within 3 months the rubber gasket was entirely worn out and rendered useless. if my pedros didn't blow up i'm sure that the nozzle would have held up far far longer, as with all other pumps i've owned over the years. with the silca i have to hold the chuck onto the tube valve with one hand and pump with the other. the pump action and amount of inflation per stroke is incredibly average. which for the embarrassing amount i paid is nothing short of a total failure for this product.

Bottom Line:
stay away from this product. spend your money elsewhere. i've used old silcas from way back when. those are the good ones. the action on the old ones is like nothing else i've ever felt. i thought that this one would be at least similar. if i could have given it a zero/zero, the pump surely would have deserved it

Favorite Trail:   na

Purchased At:   60

Similar Products Used:   pedros (very mediocre, but cheap), topeak (mediocre and rather expensive. don't remember the model), blackburn (the ones i've used in the shops have been outstanding. but expensive), trek (almost as worthless as the silca), and some others i don't remember.

Bike Setup:   who the hell cares except for those idiotic, spendo-slaves who think bicycle-cost is a one-to-one ratio with the rider's abilities. go play golf you morons!

Submitted by dan a Cross Country Rider from Saratoga,N.Y.,U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2004

Strengths:    Quaility construction

Weaknesses:    Valve sometimes is hard to get off without losing your skin.

Bottom Line:
Its a great pump. The first week the gauge went crazy. I found out that Silca used liquid teflon on the threads and it went up inside the gauge. The gauge was replaced with no problems. Since then its been fine. I wish Silca parts were available in my area.