Home | Reviews | Pump | Silca

Silca Pista Pump

4.16/5 (97 Reviews)

-Compact 500mm air chamber provides ample volume and includes a plastic handle with integrated hose storage clips -High pressure, metal-construction (shaft, barrel, gauge, gauge interface) -Alloy base and a 210psi gauge -Includes a (#30.0) Presta/Schrader rotating head and 36" hose -Fully serviceable pump design with readily available service parts

Submitted by JohnJ80 a Cross Country Rider from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2010

Strengths:    The chuck is the best there is if you use presta tubes

Weaknesses:    none noted

Bottom Line:
This is the pump. Most of the lever lock chucks can cause problems with the presta cap causing it to bend and eventually break off. This never happens with the Silca chuck.

I, for the life of me, cannot understand how anyone could have an issue with this. If you use a squirt of silicon, it's fine. You can loosen or tighten the chuck head that holds in the washer. Use your thumbs. It's simple and it is way better than anything else that is out there. In fact, I've put these chucks on my other pumps because they work better.

You can also find these parts for these all over the web. You have a pump problem, you fix it. Simple. Most of the parts are cheap - a dollar or two max. Just not a big deal.

I had one that lasted for 20 years until I lost it during a move. Hardly ever replaced washers. I have used the chucks for my other pumps too. NO issues. I finally bought a new pump to replace my lost one after my other non Silca died.

Purchased At:   coloradocyclist.com

Similar Products Used:   joe blow, various

Bike Setup:   road bike is 2005 LeMond Versaille, all Ultegra. Mountain bike is custom Klein.

Submitted by J W a Weekend Warrior from BR,FL,USA

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2009

Strengths:    Easy to repair. Stands up to abuse.

Weaknesses:    Difficult chuck.

Bottom Line:
My father taught me how to overhaul a Silca in 1983, and they haven't changed since then. I was a bicycle mechanic from 1986 to 2005, and sold and serviced almost every pump on the market at that time, and the Silca was always my favorite. Here's my advice: the best pump for you is the one you find easiest to use -- for most people, that isn't the Silca, because of the chuck. But if you want to cultivate a life-long relationship with your equipment, real intimacy, that sort of thing, this is the pump you need. You don't like the chuck? Cut it off and put a different one on -- personally, I have a Topeak chuck on mine. Also: try to find an old one, like prior to 2000. It's kind of like Linux vs. Windows -- it goes right to the quality of your soul, whether or not this is the pump for you.

Purchased At:   Penn Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Just about every other pump out there.

Bike Setup:   Colnago retrofitted fixie commuter.

Submitted by dkh a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2008

Strengths:    Reputation

Weaknesses:    Performance, Construction

Bottom Line:
This pump is not what it use to be. The new models are cheaply made and don't work very well. Buy an older steel model.

Favorite Trail:   Desert Classic

Similar Products Used:   Joe Blow

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer X

Submitted by David from SLC

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2007

Strengths:    I'm told it doesn't wear out.

Weaknesses:    Leaks
Plastic handle
Once you get it on so it doesn't leak difficult to remove.
Gauge is small hard to read and at the bottom of the pump.
Cord doesn't wrap easily around the handle like every other pump.

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't get this pump it obviously isn't what it used to be.

Buy this pump if you only use this type of valve, or enjoy having multiple pumps around find it fun to try to get the thing not to leak and have excellent eye site. Also buy this if you enjoy using antique technology.

Don't get this pump if you enjoy ease of use, the ability to use multiple heads for different valves. A gauge you can read without super-vision or supervision.

Let's hope this review gets on this site this time.

Similar Products Used:   Park x2 (works great until the an inner seal blows)

Submitted by NateTheGreat a Cross Country Rider from Rockville, MD USA

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2007

Strengths:    Replacement parts--can actually buy.
Pump lasts...and eventually presta gasket washer goes.
Multi head is durable...all brass.

Weaknesses:    Cheaper Silca pista's have exposed plastic guages, get the one with the metal base plate with the cowl over the gauge $$.--I just busted mine when a board fell on it.

Old timey thread-on multi Schrader head----hssssssss as you unthread it off.

Bottom Line:
Get the pista model with the guage protected.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   Mtbs since 1988

Submitted by D Larson a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2006

Strengths:    Simple to use, versitle, does what it's designed to do, replacement parts are readily available, exceptionally durable, very cool Colombus tubing air chamber on old model.

Bottom Line:
If you want a pump that is high quality, will last for many years,is so so simple to use, and replacement parts are readily available, this is the pump for you. I've used one of these things since the mid 1980's and they're GREAT!

Favorite Trail:   Fast and twisty

Purchased At:   Excel Sports

Similar Products Used:   Many that weren't nearly as good.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Pisgah
Ogle Single Speed

Submitted by Bill Morrison a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2006

Strengths:    easy on, easy off head; No thumb switches, no hassle; Just press it firmly on a presta head and start cranking; REasonable number of pumps to fully inflate (120psi);

Weaknesses:    would be nice to have the gauge mounted at the top of the barrel, instead of near the floor; Older eyes struggle to see those little numbers; but it's a small problem;

Bottom Line:
Fantastic pump; simple, very servieable parts; easy on, easy off head; Also great for kiddie bikes with shrader valves...easy to convert from presta to shrader...just unscrew the head...voila. Sturdy design...seems bulletproof;

Favorite Trail:   roadie

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Park, Topeak, SKS (REI);

Bike Setup:   Road bike: Leader 785r alum/carbon; MTB: Klein Pulse Comp;

Submitted by Tony Edwards a Weekend Warrior from Minneapolis, MN

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2005

Strengths:    Endlessly reliable, perfectly stylish.

Weaknesses:    Slow to pump compared to newer designs

Bottom Line:
The Silca Pista is one of cycling's most perfect designs. The pump shaft is, IIRC, a Columbus SLX downtube, and like the rest of the design, it is far more robust (and elegant) than the overwhelming majority of pumps. In the 12 years I've owned my Pista, I have replaced the chuck gasket twice, and that's it. I have pumped thousands of tires with my pump. What's not to like?

Purchased At:   Williamson Bike Works, Madison WI

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn, Pedro's, Park floor pumps

Bike Setup:   2000 Moots VaMoots w/10-speed Chorus
early 1990s Woodrup 531 w/8-speed Chorus
1995 Serotta ATi w/XT, XTR

Submitted by kevin foley a Racer from Mill Valley

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2005

Strengths:    This is the most reliable pump I've ever had. I just threw away a Topeak Master Blaster (frame fit) last nite after completely freezing up, again, when I stopped to help someone. I'll look this up to see if this was my fault for riding in the rain and fog but I would think a frame-fitting pump should be built to withstand being outside all of the time. Had it about 1.5 yrs.

Weaknesses:    None at all

Bottom Line:
Super durable, super dependable

Purchased At:   mail order a long time ago

Similar Products Used:   first and only floor pump

Bike Setup:   serotta fierte

Submitted by Ken a Racer from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2004

Strengths:    solid construction, customer support, pumps fast with few strokes

Bottom Line:
great customer service, I had a problem with the gauge and Silca sent me a new gauge. I have been very happy with the pump. From what I have read it should last me a long time. I am a happy customer!

Purchased At:   Rebel Sport

Similar Products Used:   lots of pumps!

Bike Setup:   full ultegra, columbus airplane tubing

Submitted by Bob Clifford a Racer from Tinley Park, Illinois, USA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2004

Strengths:    Durable, Accurate, Will deliver a very high pressure, Easy to replace parts, Will last a lifetime

Bottom Line:
Do yourself a favor and buy this pump. I have had mine for 19 years and it has performed flawlessly. After almost 20 years of constant use I just replaced the guage, leather plunger gasket, and hose & chuck. The rubber gasket in the chuck has been replaced a few times but that is a $1.00 part available anywhere. I keep my road tires at 135 PSI and the pump gets it that high easily with minimal strokes. This is one of the best values in cycling and one of the only pieces of equipment that I've had since the start of my bike racing career of almost 20 years. Good luck and see you on the trail or road.

Favorite Trail:   Kettle Moraine State Park, Wisconsin

Purchased At:   Byron's Bike & Ski

Similar Products Used:   Park, Avocet

Bike Setup:   1999 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 with XT, Mavic on the trail. 2003 Litespeed Ultimate with Record 10, Mavic on the Road. 1989 Schwinn Paramount with Super Record, Mavic.

Submitted by Dirty Big Bjelke a Weekend Warrior from Perth

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2004

Strengths:    Simple Design, Most if not all parts user servicable, Not plastic (cept handle). Just flat out does the job and has done for at least 7 years.

Weaknesses:    Chuck needs a little encouragement to stay on. Gauge is hard to read if you are Anal about exact PSI. Car Valve inflation sucks if you are that way inclined.

Bottom Line:
If I ever saw an aftermarket Chuck for this in the LBS I would buy it. As it is I've been meaning to get a new rubber insert for the chuck for about three years. Having said that It has pumped air into my tyres without fail in that time even if you have to jiggle it just a little bit for it to stay on.

I have mounted it onto a big piece of wood for stability and anti-theft, not that I think a thief would go for something this low key. Think about this before you buy, will my pump manufacturer still have parts available next year? The year after? next decade? I'll bet you can repair a Silca in 2010 and use it for another 10 years.

Similar Products Used:   Servo Forecourt

Bike Setup:   Yada Yada Yada

Submitted by Alfredo J Alfaro a Weekend Warrior from Sarchi Norte, Costa Rica

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2004

Strengths:    After 14 years of use I overhauled my Silca Super Pista. Since is not representative in Costa Rica I contacted Silca directly and received the needed spares parts quite fast

Weaknesses:    None than I know! In fact in the spares parts than I received come the improvements/upgrades for corect any weakness than my pump had

Bottom Line:
Excellent everlast product and a customer oriented service makes this pump stay away of others. With appropiate care and storage may overpass the 100 years of service. Although being made in high production factory, is made with a lot of care and attention to details, only the best materials are used.

Similar Products Used:   If I already have the best, why I should use other pump!

Bike Setup:   Raleigh 753 Pro Super Road, Raleigh 753 Pro Super Track Pursuit, both with Campagnolo Record parts, the Road has Campagnolo Record Delta Brakeset. Mavic Rims, Cinelli Bars and stems, Selle Italia Flite saddles Tuffo tubeless clinchers and tubulars. Raleigh RSP 250 MTB whith Shimano XTR (Campagnolo does not make MTB stuff!)8 speed.

Submitted by tim from Australia

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2004

Strengths:    I've previously put in a review about this pump where I stated that it had been reliable for the past 10 years and that I couldn't understand the problems that some people were having with the chuck leaking and blowing off.

Today I put new continental tubes and tires on my road bike and sure enough the chuck leaked and had to be held on with one hand.

On my stems of my Vittoria tubes I had to prise the chuck off the inflated tire with two thumbs, so there is a big difference.

The conclusion I have drawn from this is that the culprit is the presta valve stems, if they are short and have threads all the way down the pump may leak, if the stems are unthreaded and longer the pump works great.

Bottom Line:
This pump is fussy about valve stems, but otherwise is still the best track pump made.

Submitted by Stewart Guthrie a Weekend Warrior from Miami, FLorida, USA

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2004

Strengths:    nice comfortable big wood handle, feels sturdy, smooth stroke

Weaknesses:    hose clamp at base blew off at 80 lbs the *first* time I used it (similar complaints below). Astonishing for what's supposed to be a better pump.

Bottom Line:
as under "weaknesses": one doesn't expect a good, brand-new pump to deconstruct at 80 lbs. on first use. Fortunately I inherited a nice set of *real* hose clamps from my mechanic father and quickly substituted one.

Purchased At:   Lickbikes