Home | Reviews | Pump | Serfas

2.54/5 (13 Reviews)

FM-200 Full Metal Floor Pump

Submitted by the gladman a Cross Country Rider from mill valley, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2010

Strengths:    looks great

Weaknesses:    doesn't work

Bottom Line:
I was greatly satisfied smashing this piece of poop and putting it in the garbage can. Had something like a 25% success rate inflating any presta tubes, regardless of stem length. Each time prior to inflation ( when it did work) I'd have to deflate the tire completetly and pay WAY too much attention to cramming the valve into the pump head. When it did initiate pressurization the pump operated smoothly and the pressure guage seemed accurate.

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm riding

Purchased At:   some bike shop

Similar Products Used:   floor pumps

Bike Setup:   which one

Submitted by bbarel a Cross Country Rider from usa

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2010

Strengths:    This is for the TCPG floor pump.
I like the valve connector.
Right size and weight.

Bottom Line:
Their valve connector with a single hole works well for presta valves. It lets out a little air when you press it on, but then seals good and is hassle free. Just press it on quickly and is no problem.

My old Innovations pump end with 2 holes for presta and schraeder never sealed well, so it leaked or the air would not go into the tire. It was a pia and it's going back.

The pump is all about the valve connector and I like the connector on this pump.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Innovations floor pump

Submitted by DCer a Weekend Warrior from Washington DC

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2009

Weaknesses:    Terrible valve connection for Presta tubes

Bottom Line:
Terrible. This pump worked all right for about 3 months of very light use, and ha gone downhill ever since. The valve connection for Presta tubes just doesn't work - it lets out more air than I can get in the tube at any given time. Bad buy, I regret plunking down hard-earned cash for this useless pump.

Purchased At:   Hudson Trail Outfitt

Similar Products Used:   other pumps by other mfgs

Submitted by hawkeye a Cross Country Rider from Sydney NSW Australia

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2008

Strengths:    Pumps air well up to 100psi (haven't needed to go further), Smart valve pump head works well on both Presta and Shraeder valves. Comes with needles for footballs and exercise/gym balls.

Weaknesses:    Easily knocked over, gauge is rubbish

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Servas TCPG unit. I used to hink this pump was quite good. However...

Pump has a narrow plastic base, is top heavy, and is easily knocked over in the workshop. Perhaps as a result, the gauge is now damaged: every time I need to use it I have to disassemble the pressure gauge and reset the needle to zero, otherwise the needle starts at -30 to -50psi and my pressures are out accordingly. The gauge is not very well designed and the needle can easily jump around and out of position.

Favorite Trail:   Manly Dam

Purchased At:   DY Bike Hub

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Furio hardtail, Cannondale Jekyll dual susp

Submitted by Rex a Weekend Warrior from Birmingham AL

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2008

Strengths:    cast body

Weaknesses:    valve head

Bottom Line:
The valve head is the weak spot on this pump. It just doesn't work well on presta stems, regardless of adjustment or setup. Not worth the buying in my experience. The body is very sturdy and it does pump quickly and easily when in the few times the valve head manages to work.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Many

Submitted by Doug from IL from Illinois

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2007

Strengths:    This review is actually for the SERFAS TCPG floor pump.

Pumps air, has gauge thats pretty accurate (+/- 5 lbs) mostly just play in the needle, handle is comfortable, steel barrel.

Weaknesses:    New Simple Valve pump head fits both Presta and Schrader valve. Used on schrader only once so far and worked ok. Presta is another story. Head works but has to sit perfectly on valve otherwise air leaks while filling. Very sensitive to positioning on valve.

Bottom Line:
Not a bad pump once I switched the head from my old Park pump that wore out on to this pump. Fortunatley I did not throw out yet and everthing fit otherwise I would have returned it because of the head.

Favorite Trail:   Roadie No Trails

Similar Products Used:   Park, Zefal

Bike Setup:   Road aluminum, carbon

Submitted by Jorge a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2007

Strengths:    Sturdy, high air volume per stroke, ergonomics

Weaknesses:    No major faults so far.

Bottom Line:
Nice pump, sturdy, industrial stainless steel hose, very comfortable to use with pressure gauge near the handle for easy reading. The design of the pump head (2 holes, one Presta, one Schrader) is not the best. Often air is pumped through the opposite valve and obliges you to readjust again and again the pump head in relation to the valve. But this is a minor problem.

Bike Setup:   Road, track and cross country

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Agoura Hills, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2005

Strengths:    Pumps air into presta and schrader stem tires.

Weaknesses:    The pump is top-heavy and prone to fall over. It is heavy metal so that when it falls over it will dent or chip whatever it hits. It has a poor design, with a small footprint that is inadequate to hold it upright against the slightest bump or tug. If it happens to fall against your new car, or happens to fall against your new bike, you can count on a dent or chip. Remember this: I told you so.

Bottom Line:
Look elsewhere. This pump is an accident looking for a place to fall against your Ferrari and put a big dent in it. Just look at the tiny footprint and you'll immediately see this puppy will fall over by just looking at it.

Favorite Trail:   Palo Camado Cyn.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized floor pump, various others.

Bike Setup:   C'dale hardtail with XTR, Mavic Crossmax SL, etc., is the fav -- I'm into bikes and maintain 6 in working order.

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Bedford, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2005

Strengths:    Very sturdy construction all around.
OK for Schrader valves.

Weaknesses:    Is absolutely terrible for the Presta valve. Just plain will not inflate certain tubes with Presta, is very difficult for any Presta tube.

Bottom Line:
I really, really regret buying this thing. It has been nothing but frustration for me. I haven't returned it because I never am in the neighborhood of the shop where I bought it anymore.

Purchased At:   Alternative Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Joe Blow, Hurricane.

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Campione Road bike, Trek 720 trail bike.

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Boston

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2004

Strengths:    Solid. Easily goes to 130 lbs of pressure. Hose has nice metal mesh cover to protect it from wear and tear. Metal parts at the critical joints, as opposed to plastic. Air gauge is easy to read.

Weaknesses:    Plastic handle is a little on the flimsy side. I keep my hand close to the center when adding pressure. I don't beat on my gear, so there is no reason to believe this will be a problem over time. When I first used the pump, the valve attachment was a bear to get off the valve. After a few weeks, this wasn't a problem anymore.

Bottom Line:
I'm a road guy and keep my tires at full pressure. This pump has met all my needs without any problems other than the break in period for the valve attachment. I checked out a variety of pumps and found this one to have the best combination of features (goes up to 160 lbs, easily readable gauge, metal mesh cover on hose, metal parts) for the price. I haven't had any need to repair mine so I can't comment about ease of repair. So far I'm a happy consumer and would recommend this pump to anyone looking to purchase one.

Favorite Trail:   Roads of the western burbs

Bike Setup:   "Off the shelf" Specialize Allez Pro.

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from Peoria, Illinois, USA

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2003

Strengths:    It looks good and is sturdy.

Weaknesses:    It will not infate a tube with a Presta valve.

Bottom Line:
I bought this pump hoping it would help me maintain the correct tire pressure in my road bike. Before I tried to inflate the tire, I noticed leaking around the top of the cylinder when I pumped with my thumb over the pump head. Next, I tried to inflate a tire, but the pump head would not engage the valve core stem to let air in the tire. I returned the pump to the bike shop thinking I was doing something wrong. Several people at the shop tried it and had the same problems. We grabbed and identical model, and it also leaked and would not inflate a presta tube. I did not try the Schrader Valve.

Favorite Trail:   Plank