Home | Reviews | Pump | Scott

2.31/5 (16 Reviews)

Scott USA Double Header Pump

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Buffalo, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2008

Weaknesses:    The little blue rubber gasket is worn and the Dealer who sold it to me doesn't carry parts for the darn thing. Does anyone know where I can purchase the little blue gasket for the ScottDoubleHeader air pump?

Bottom Line:
I need gasket

Purchased At:   Berts Bikes

Bike Setup:   Trek 2000

Submitted by George a Weekend Warrior from Ft. Worth, Tx

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2001

Strengths:    Looks sorta cool, ladies like them big right?

Weaknesses:    You need a masters degree from MIT to use the damn thing. It's big.

Bottom Line:
I hate this p-o-s. The frame mount broke. Handle fell off once, had to back track to find it. Took me forever to figure out how to use it. I can't let anyone else use it because you have to use special voodoo techniques to make it put air in your tire. The damn handle never stays in place, it's bulky, it sucks, It given me years of grief. I pray I don't have flat when I'm carrying this turd.

Favorite Trail:   Anything that isn't flat

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale pump(lost it, loved it)

Bike Setup:   C-dale Super-v-1000

Submitted by Tomaz Stupnik a Cross Country Rider from Ljubljana

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2000

Strengths:    Works well for MTB and by roadbike. It takes a while but can pump to a high pressure required for my 700/20 roadbike tyre. Good valve locking system.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy.

Bottom Line:
Recommended as an alround pump, not just as an emergency pump.

Favorite Trail:   Krim

Bike Setup:   Marin RockyRidge 2k

Submitted by tom mcdonnell a Cross Country Rider from Boone, NC

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2000

Strengths:    Not having to switch parts to work on schraeder and presta. Excellent Customer Service

Bottom Line:
I used this pump for 3 years before I had any trouble. It worked equally well on schraeder and presta without the hassle of turning around parts. Then a piece of the head assembly broke. I found Scott's website and contacted someone there who immediately sent me replacement parts. Great Customer Service! After using my new parts only a couple times, the plastic knob that depresses the schraeder button broke again. I called Scott and they're sending me a new part plus extras in case it happens again. THAT IS GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Pisgah

Submitted by Greg a cross-country rider from Texas

Date Reviewed: December 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

I used to own the standard steel double header pump. Nothing but problems:
1. Rubber ring inside the head to seal around valves began to tear.
2. Plunger inside the shaft disconnected from the rod.
3. When I got this fixed, they put the release valve in backwards (wouldn't relase air--just built it up in the shaft, it sure looked funny when I pushed down and it rose back up as soon as I let go.
4. No shop would dare try to fix it.I finally got sick of it and called Scott and wanted a refund, but I didn't have a receipt, but they were good enough to send me one of the higher end carbond fiber models free. It seems to be made all around better; I haven't had any problems with it.This review is for the $50 version. It sucks. Don't buy it. As far as the higher end one: if it's free, take it, if not, it's too expensive, don't buy it

Submitted by Myself a cross-country rider from Glendale, AZ

Date Reviewed: October 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

As a roadie and knobbie I need a pump that can deal with high
pressure and high volume. My Scott pump does well in both categories
I have no complaints about accept that it doesn't always sit well
on a regular Schraeder valve but most decent bikes use prestas
anyway. Pump works very well with adapters. I'd give it at least
4 chilis, maybe 4.5.

Submitted by Brad Weis a cross-country rider from Moab Utah USA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently bought a Scott USA Double Header Pump. A working pump is vital in this area because you don't want to get stuck miles away from civilization. The second time I rode the Slickrock trail, the handle fell off somewhere. I retraced my route and couldn't find it. Very annoying. I'm searching the web for their address so I can tell them. Schraeder connection works fine.

Submitted by Mike Dooley a weekend warrior from Marion, Oh

Date Reviewed: August 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got a Scott Double Header & it never has worked right on schraeder valves. Looks nice, but looks dont do the job. Any chance there was a recall on these, if the coupler was redesigned sqo it would work like it is suppose to it would be an ok pump.

Submitted by G Shovlin a cross-country rider from CA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

I like it. I ride every day and take a lot of road chrapnal. I always have flattening tires, that I'm topping off. This pump is rugged and well designed ie: it doesn't fall over easily and bust the guage. Since I ride baldies on a mt bike I don't need to be super close on the preasure.

Submitted by Bill R. a weekend warrior from Newtown Pa

Date Reviewed: June 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

Purchaed pump and used it for less than a year the gasket on the head wore so badly that now it is incapable of inflating. The guage may have a tend to understate the acutal tire pressure. Would not suggest buying this pump. I would suggest a Blackburn floor pump.

Submitted by Albert C. a weekend warrior from Bloomington, IN

Date Reviewed: June 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

Worst pump I have ever come across.
I had it for 4 months, it NEVER worked right: it has a internal leakage after just 3 weeks, pump head never did work with Schraeder valve and the gauge's reading always off.
I called Scott USA three times in past 4 weeks, and nobody has return my phone call yet.
DO NOT BUY this pump.

Submitted by Chris a weekend warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: March 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

Got this pump for Christmas...First one had an air leak at the bottom of the pump. Mail order house replaced it. No problems with it so far. I will have to check the gauage for accuracy, but I think it is probably fairly accurate so far. It looks fantastic, and the tripod design is the most stabe I have used.I was concerned that there was no contact information on SCOTT on the paper work for the pump. It seemed a little shady for a company as visible as SCOTT. This may account for the fact that they are going under. The card that came with the pump claimed it was completely rebuildable, but my question was with what parts, if you can not even contact the company.But so far so good with this pump.

Submitted by Mark a racer from Cincinnati

Date Reviewed: March 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

Bought this pump, used it, returned it. Got a refund a bought a Blackburn Pro. The dual adapter head didn't work well for either Schraeder or Presta. Gauge was inaccurate and the pump wasn't stellar. Can't believe it got the review it did. Avoid this pump unless these problems are fixed and keep the receipt.

Submitted by bob hubbartt a weekend warrior from arroyo grande ca

Date Reviewed: February 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

im a roadie and love this pump. The guage may be inaccurate but i usually use my well calibrated thumb. the stand makes it as solid as a rock - a long overdue feature. it has a precision feel and pumps smmothly. i would recommend this pump, its not perfect but works reliably.

Submitted by M. Rosinski from racer

Date Reviewed: February 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought the carbon fiber version, very pricey!! The double head pump does not work, it does ok on presta, cannot fill schrader. My dealer cannot get it to work!! Also, the gague is not accurate, @ 50 psi (actual from good gague) it reads 43, so, I was overinflating my tires. Be careful about buying this pump. I would recomment a not buy. Concept is good, execution on details is lacking