Planet Bike Shockmate Suspension Pump

• No-leak valve takes the hassle out of pumping
  • Swivel hose and pump head allow easy attachment
  • Alloy barrel supplies smooth pumping action
  • Easy-to-read industrial-class gauge inflates to 400psi
  • Bleeder valve fine tunes the pressure

Submitted by Chris Madden

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2013

Strengths:    pumps shocks and tires too!

Weaknesses:    guage may not be exactly accurate but I got used to it
release is not as clean as pumps with 2 stage connectors

Bottom Line:
I have used this for 7 years and love it. At first I doubted the accuracy of the guage but once I learned where on the guage I liked the feel of the shock the numbers don't really matter- it's a relative thing. I can pump up a 26 X 2.125 tire in less than 100 easy strokes so I don't need to carry another tire pump. This pump looks almost identical to the Sette air 2 ST-35 pump except the Sette has a better 2 stage connector which might be a better value for a few more dollars. I wonder if Sette makes this for Planet Bike? I rarely got flats back east but it is getting more use since I moved to San Diego because of the goat head thorns.

Submitted by afullsodacan a Cross Country Rider from Orlando, FL, US

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2012

Strengths:    Fairly cheap. Nice grip, seems sturdy, the hose swivels making it quite compact, fairly light (about 220g by my scale), gauge is easy to read and goes all the way to 400 psi, which you should never need, but seems like a bonus

Weaknesses:    let-off valve seems to let out quite a bit of air (about 10 psi), it seems to lose a little bit (about 5-10 psi) when disconnecting

Bottom Line:
I don't know, it doesn't seem to me as bad as the other reviewers say it is. It seems to get the job done and is pretty easy to use if you have at least half a brain. It does leak a bit of air out when disconnecting, but I think that is normal for a shock pump. I find you just have to go a few psi higher than where you actually want it. (I compared it to my buddy's pump that came with his trek and it also lets out air when disconnecting; pretty sure even more than mine) I also do not know how one of the previous reviewers can claim that the gauge is "50 psi" off. I think he is full of baloney. I compared my gauge to my buddy's and they read almost exactly the same. I highly doubt that they are both off by 50 psi. The let-off valve lets out quite a bit more compared to my buddy's (about 10 psi as opposed to 1-2psi). But, not even close to "30 psi" as the previous guy claims. Once it did leak a little when I had it connected, but I haven't seemed to have that problem any other time. It does take quite a few pumps, but once again, I think that is normal since a shock pump is made for HIGH PRESSURE, NOT high volume. In other words, it has to be a smaller amount of air for each pump so it is not impossible to push when getting to higher pressures. However, I still just tote this with me as a back up pump anyway, even though it does take a LOT of pumping to pump a tire up.

Favorite Trail:   Carter Road, Lakeland, FL

Purchased At:   a buddy

Similar Products Used:   a wrench force shock pump that came with my buddy's trek, I believe

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS C2 with fox fork and shock

Submitted by detours a Cross Country Rider from Arvada, CO

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap price. Rubberized grips and gauge, hose clamp, release valve, swivel hose, alloy barrel.

Weaknesses:    Loses at least 10 psi on disconnect, bleeder valve drops 30+ psi per push, gauge is about 50 psi off, very low pump volume per stroke.

Bottom Line:
I'm taking this pump back to REI and getting something else. Even if the gauge worked correctly, it still has too many design flaws. For one, the bleeder valve needs to be a lot less sensitive. It's hard to finesse and if you barely push too hard, you lose over 30 psi and have to start all over ... and this thing pumps slow! The 'no-loss' disconnect is a crock. Despite the following the instructions, I consistently lose 10+ psi every time.

At least it's cheap ... but then again, it's cheap.

Favorite Trail:   front range

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Spec Rockhopper Comp 29er with Tora 318sl Solo Air

Submitted by Chad a Cross Country Rider from Flagstaff, AZ

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2008

Strengths:    It isnt all that heavy, and it has a pressure gauge. Pretty much like any other pump.

Weaknesses:    Leaks!

Bottom Line:
I liked this pump, because it did its job. Not too long ago though, it started to leak, and now I cant get the PSI I want in my shocks. I have taken it apart completely, looking for a tore up rubber seal or something, but cant seem to locate the problem. I plan on taking it back to REI for a possible warranty exchange for a new one. 3 chilly value because it wasnt too expensive, 2 chilly overall, because I cant ride now until I can pump up my shocks.

Purchased At:   REI