Home | Reviews | Pump | Pedros

Pedros Prestige Pump Pump

2.63/5 (8 Reviews)

Steel barrel and base are super tough. Dual presta/schraeder pump. Can easily pump tires to 160psi with the super accurate guage

Submitted by ifeelectric a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2011

Strengths:    Base is strong, i've had others break.

Weaknesses:    Gauge worked for a short amount of time.

Bottom Line:
For almost $40 dollars and the Pedro's name I expected this pump to hold up for awhile. I feel like I barely used it before the gauge stopped working. The valve head also wants to stick a bit. It's a struggle to get it to come off the stem cleanly. Disappointing.

Purchased At:   Halcyon Bike Shop, N

Submitted by Fort_Ord_biki a Weekend Warrior from Marina, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2010

Strengths:    Overall Good solid construction, slightly elevated gauge with turnable ring, grippy handle with bike handlebar grip, metal foot-stable, metal barrier, piston plunger use replaceable O-ring

Weaknesses:    dual head chuck not the easiest to use, and not repairable.

Bottom Line:
This pump provided reliable service for my high pressure/Presta head tires and mtb tires for a few years. I had no issue with the Shrader head. But the Presta side isn't the easiest to use. It is quite a tight fit and a little finicky. Typically I would use my finger to break the tubes's seal first, then insert the chuck carefully. It took some pressure to do that. And I had to carefully insert it to a certain depth, otherwise it would not work. Pumping is alright. I don't think it is that fast, but something reasonable. After awhile I noticed that I had to give it a couple of quick pump to get the plunger to seal and had it start filling air. The worst thing is that once the tire is inflated, and the lever turned to open position, I had to push the chuck off the head with a lot of force. Then the chuck would shoot off toward the hub, doing its thing. I accepted all that as long as the chuck still work. But I suspect that removing the tight chuck somehow wore out the chuck rubber seal. I put some dielectric grease on the rubber parts but that did not completely solve the leak.
Not wanting to throw away the complete pump which seems fine other than the chuck, I researched and bought a Topeak Twinhead Floor Pump upgrade kit. And the pump now works quite good. Oh, I did disassembled the pump and greased up the rubber O-ring that is on the plunger/piston. It works now.

When I bought it, it was not a cheap pump. But it is a generic pump made by the same company that makes pumps for the big names. It worked great with Shrader tires. It worked only ok with Presta head. And when the head wears out you have to replace the whole head or the whole assembly to get it to work again. I expect to use this pump for a long time with the new head.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Ord

Purchased At:   LBS?

Similar Products Used:   generic Kmart pump, various frame pump and mini pumps in over 15 years or riding.

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Wazoo cyclecross w/ Continental 700/28c tires max 115 psi, Giant STP

Submitted by batty a Racer from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2009

Weaknesses:    Complete junk! The gauge has never been even remotely close (~50 lbs off)

Bottom Line:
Don't buy it!

Favorite Trail:   Deer Creek, Crested Butte CO

Purchased At:   Excel Sports

Submitted by Bryansix a Weekend Warrior from Corona, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2008

Strengths:    Base is welded to tube so it is solid.

Weaknesses:    The pump leaked air from the day I bought it. It would just not pump any volume of air at all. Then it stopped working completely. I dismantled it and found a spare rubber seal at the bottom of the tube. Once installed it works like it should.

Bottom Line:
There is a quality issue with the product. The seal should have been checked. I fixed it but I should not have had to.

Favorite Trail:   Raptor Ridge

Purchased At:   Jensen's

Similar Products Used:   Hurricane Max by Performance Bikes. Worked well and still works but the Presta fitting is loose and leaks

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Georgia

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2005

Strengths:    This is an update to my last post about the Pedro Domestique
pump.

Weaknesses:    The base and the vertical tube is only held on by 3 tiny screws put into cheap plastic. Mine seperated today.

Bottom Line:
Forget it. its just another piece of junk. It looks to be made by Blackburn just like the model tp-1 floor pump..
I expect it to be junk too. I will return mine tommorrow.

Purchased At:   lbs

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Georgia

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2005

Strengths:    These are comments about the Domestique? pump, the green one. inexpensive, Pedro quality name, easy to use double valve, lightweight.

Weaknesses:    I doubt the pressure gauge is accurate at low pressures since it reads up to 160lbs.

Bottom Line:
I was able to inflate my MTB tires from flat to 40lbs in 30 strokes. Another 15 strokes to get to 60lbs for street use. I will use this for adjusting pressures at different places I ride where its a combination of asphalt or dirt. I have a compressor in my garage for other things but it is not portable. I have an emergency frame pump on the bike too but its tough to get over 40lbs of air in a tire so I consider it only for emergency use. Oh I fist was going to just buy a good tire gauge for the money but when I saw I could get a gauge built into a pump for a little more, thats why I got it..oh you wont lose this pump either in its neon green color!

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Cheap junk.

Bike Setup:   3 Specialized bikes, mountain and hybrids.

Submitted by Kel Cov from Arizona

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2005

Strengths:    very accurate guage and easy use. very idiot proof pump

Weaknesses:    Do not use on your wood floors if you don't want your Ol' lady to put her flip flop in ya ass. It will scratch because of sharp edges on the bottom. The best bang for the buck pump and you won't lose it in your pile of junk because of the cool bright orange color.

Bottom Line:
Bypass all the che'che' pumps and save the dough and purchase a funtional, solid product from this cool ass company.

Similar Products Used:   local bike shop and Exxon station on the corner next to some homeless guys shopping cart.

Bike Setup:   Jamis dakota and Giant hardtail (pimped out)

Submitted by Stu a Racer from Charleston, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2005

Strengths:    bright orange color (very easy to find in my cluttered garage), accurate gauge, presta and schrader compatable (no complicated switching of a plug)

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
Total pump-a-tude. Gets the job done w/o pumping my bank acct dry. Good value for the money. I have used it quite a bit in the short time I've had it and it works great. O'yea , it looks tough like a mtn biker pump should with the cool handle grips. No complains.

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   el-cheapo from wally world; lasted me 10 yrs. but the gauge wasn't very accurately and it required flipping the plug to switch from schrader to presta and vice versa

Bike Setup:   '04 Turner Burner w/ all the bells and whistles, Trek road bike