Park Tool PFP-2 Pump

1.65/5 (20 Reviews)

The PFP-2 is a shop quality pump for the professional mechanic. Packed with features and built to last for years of dependable service. It features a smooth operating double barrel design with a cast alloy head that fits both presta and schrader valves. A comfortable oversized steel handle with "soft-touch" rubber grips and a top-mounted industrial quality pressure guage (rated to 160 PSI) in tandem with an extra long high pressure hose keep the pump comfortable and easy to use.

Submitted by kingrabies a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR USA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2012

Strengths:    Built Solid. The power of Heavy Metal, but it plays a cacophonous tune.

Weaknesses:    The head design can only be described as beyond awful, as it is exceedingly difficult to seat properly. Placing and removing it from valve stems, of either type but esp. Schrader, hurts my hands - and my hands are very strong. May the Gods help weaker souls... The lever also takes great effort to clamp and unclamp - it feels like forcing it into place is going to make your hands develop arthritis. The design also suffers from very awkward ergonomics i the pump is very heavy, balance is top heavy, and an inadvertent hose tug sends its great bulk toppling down with a huge pounding whallop onto the floor. WHAM!

Bottom Line:
You have to wonder what Park was thinking with this stinker. I got it as a freebie, as a friend was actually throwing it out - he became fed up with it when both the pressure gauge broke and the head gasket died. (he bought a vastly superior Lenzyne). After ordering about $15 worth of parts from Park (they do have great customer service, at least), I still feel ripped off even though I got it for next to nothing. It's an attractive nuisance, like a rogue fish trap that's broken loose from its buoy, which then sits below a reef and continues for years to lure fish to a gruesome death by starvation. It won't fail to make you wish you had never seen it. I'm thinking about smashing it beyond repair before I throw it out to prevent it claiming yet another victim.

Purchased At:   gift / hand-me-down

Similar Products Used:   Joe Blow Sprint - an excellent pump; Lenzyne floor pump - simple elegance that works.

Submitted by Mike Kokorudz a Weekend Warrior from Lake Forest, CA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2008

Strengths:    Solid construction. Ergonomic handle with rubber grips.

Weaknesses:    Pump head difficult to engage. Gauge highly inaccurate, reading about 25% lower than actual.

Bottom Line:
Although I originally had problems with the head and gauge on this pump, I have to give high praise to Park Tool for standing behind their products. Calvin Jones sent me a new head and gauge immediately and gratis upon request even though I purchased it 2.5 years ago.

Favorite Trail:   Aliso Canyon

Similar Products Used:   Ascent, Topeak Joe Blow Pro

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Expert

Submitted by Russell a Cross Country Rider from Reno

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2008

Strengths:    Park Customer Service is as good as it gets.

Weaknesses:    Just average performance, no bleed valve.

Bottom Line:
Although this pump is not exceptional at any one thing, it does do the job. Although many on this thread have had head problems, the head on my pump switches from presta to schrader just fine and releases from presta valves with no problem. My gauge did eventually break, and one email to Park and a new one was in the mail no questions asked. I received my new gauge in about 5 days.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Similar Products Used:   Silca, Blackburn

Bike Setup:   6" CC, SS, and Roadbike

Submitted by J C a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2007

Strengths:    Serviceable. Looks sleek.

Weaknesses:    Valve Head does release presta valve unless you really work at it. To succeed you must put more torque against presta-valve/tube joint then reasonable, potentially damaging tube (or your hand when it finally releases and you smack it against hub/skewer/spoke area).

Bottom Line:
Love most Park tools. This one is HORRIBLE. I've serviced the valve head hoping to find the reason for weakness and scraped some material off inside of bushing hoping to make disengagement of valve easier. Not much difference. I have broken more than a few new tubes after pressuring. You better not be in a hurry if you want to keep you sanity with this pump. Stay clear from this pump

Similar Products Used:   Others but forget names.

Bike Setup:   N/A

Submitted by Gary from McLean

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2007

Strengths:    Good look'in

Weaknesses:    Poor connection to valve stem.

Bottom Line:
The other reviews on this site are right-on. This pump has gone form fair to bad. This summer, it has been almost impossible to connect to presta valve stems. Today, I returned it to Performance Bikes for a credit. IMHO, Performance has the best in-store, phone and on-line customer service in the business. Bought a Topeak JoeBlow - a reliable easy-to-use pump that I have had good luck with over the years.

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Topeak JoeBlow

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2007

Strengths:    Looks very nice. Has the Park name, which usually means quality.

Weaknesses:    Terrible design of pump head.

Bottom Line:
I finally "lost it" and threw this pump as far as I could. The internal head switch to go from Presta to Schrader sticks in place. I took it apart once and got it working and lubed it. I don't have time to repair my pump every time I use it. Once you get it on a Presta valve, it does not want to come off. You have to pull hard enough to risk driving the back of your hand into the disc rotor or some other unforgiving object. The guage was toasted during the first week since the pump head is difficult to engage (when the air is not able to get into the tire, pressure quickly builds up in the hose and exceeds the pressure guage maximum setting, permanently tweaking the guage).

I hate to give negative reviews. but this pump really deserves it. There is no point going over the postives of the design, because none of it matters if you can't get the pump head on and off of the valves...

Favorite Trail:   Can't decide

Submitted by Johnny Sprocket a Cross Country Rider from SoCal

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2007

Strengths:    Moves air, but so does the wind.

Weaknesses:    Switching between Presta and Schrader functions seems to be too much to ask from this pump. The head design is obviously flawed. The ball valve sticks - fatally - in place and no amount of witchcraft gets it to move.

Bottom Line:
Yeah, this pump, equipped with a metal pump head, is worthless. But to be fair, Park is offering a new plastic head to replace the metal one - it's free for the asking. It's easy to change out. The plastic pump head seems to work - we'll see if it has staying power.

Favorite Trail:   South Boundary - Taos

Similar Products Used:   Silca

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth

Submitted by Clevor a Weekend Warrior from Yokosuka, Japan

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2006

Strengths:    Sturdy construction, massive pump head, very quick to fill road tires due to dual chamber.

Weaknesses:    Wish the arrow ring pointing to tire pressure would stay put; it's too easy to rotate it around. Rather hard to get the pump head off.

Bottom Line:
I have a contrary opinion of this pump in that I think Park fixed the issues (I bought my pump around a year ago). While it is true the pump head is hard to get off (it utilizes a locking lever), it does hold the valve more reliably (like a bear bite) than the Silcas, which are just a friction fit. It's no wonder the Silcas are easier to remove. I've never liked the Silcas in that you get paranoid that with the high tire pressures, the pump head will blow right off.

To me the Park fills tires faster than the Silca due to the dual chamber design. The gauge has always been accurate for me.

The trick to getting the pump head off is pull it off in a direct vertical motion. You have to do it in a quick motion to prevent bleeding off pressure. I sorta have the hang of it now.

But I am high on this pump due to the effortless pump stroke compared to the Silcas. I prefer it over the Silca now.

In regards to the pump head, both Silca and Park should learn from the cheap plastic pumps you can get in Japan for $20. It uses a small knurled adapter you thread unto the opened Presta valve. Than you just insert the other end into the pump head and lock it with the lever. Totally positive locking action and no leakage. Once the tire is filled, release the locking lever and unscrew the adapter. No noise of bleeding air whatsoever! Works like a charm.

Purchased At:   Performance?

Similar Products Used:   Silca ATB and road pumps

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR Comp 1; Michelin Ultralites @ 110 psi

Submitted by Dewey a Weekend Warrior from Minneapolis, Mn.

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2006

Strengths:    Its heavy and it looks like its well made

Weaknesses:    Pump head is a massive pain

Bottom Line:
I bought this pump because I occasionally pump up the neighbor kids bikes with Schraeder valves and I wanted a dual head pump. After using two different Silca pumps for 20 years with no problems, I am totally dissapointed in this pump. I cant get the pump head to sit on and fully engage the stem straight, Its hard as hell to remove it from the valve, I have hurt my hand many times trying to get the thumblock released. The valving or whatever that controls how the gauge reads also is very inconsistent. Sometimes the gauge just keeps going and going and going!
Like others, I wish I would have come and read the reviews on this pump before I bought it, but I trusted the Park name, but this thing is crap and I cant believe that Park keeps selling it the way it is.
If this thing was just substandard, I would dump it on Ebay, but it works so bad, I would feel guilty selling this piece of junk to anyone else.
Sorry Park, this thing just doesn't cut it, especially at the price it retails for.

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon Hills

Similar Products Used:   Silca

Bike Setup:   BMC Fourstroke 03,Reba Race,XT driveline, Hayes brakes Cane Creek wheels.

Submitted by Cary a Cross Country Rider from Lafayette, CA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2006

Strengths:    Looks nice.

Weaknesses:    It doesn't do what it's supposed to.

Bottom Line:
What a joke. I thought it was me until I checked here. The first failure was the pressure gauge broke, sticking at 35 psi. The only good thing I can say is that Park sent me a new one no questions asked. The more pervasive problem is the air chuck. At first I thought it needed to break in, but over time it just got worse, impossible to seat and even more impossible to remove. After the second time of the chuck pulling the stem off a schrader tube (yes that is how hard you have to pull and this is with holding the stem to try and keep it from happening), I had it. I'm glad I bought it at performance, they took it back and exchanged me for Topeak.

If I were buying a new one, I would buy a specialized pump.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn, Topeak.

Bike Setup:   Wheels, Tires, Cranks, Fork; you name it, they have it.

Submitted by Brendan a Cross Country Rider from Virginia

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2006

Strengths:    Hmmm

Weaknesses:    It does want to inflate my tires

Bottom Line:
I'm glad I'm not alone. I figured I'd buy one good floor pump after a cheap one I had broke. It got progressively more difficult to seat presta valves in the head. It would take about 5 attempts before it would inflate. I thought I had screwed up the head, and spent $16(+$10 S&H) for a new head. which turned out to be even worse. So I threw good money after bad. Very disappointing, especially since the damn pump has been on the market for several years(they had a recall in 2003) and Park hasn't bothered to address this problem.

Similar Products Used:   Various - about to buy a Silca pump

Bike Setup:   2 roads, 1 29er

Submitted by freddie a Cross Country Rider from Harbor City, CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2006

Strengths:    Comfortable grip, pressure gauge that reads in 2pound increments.

Weaknesses:    Thumblock requires way too much effort to engage, the pin that the thumblock swivels on would continually back out on mine, air leaks from the chuck after very short time period (maybe a couple of months), and last but not least, forget about using the schrader opening (it's very difficult to work the schrader opening onto your schrader valve and damn near impossible to get it off.

Bottom Line:
Sharing the opinion of most of the other reviewers I must concur that THIS PUMP SUCKS!

One other comment: I prefer a chuck that has just one head that automatically senses which type of valve it's being attached to. The double "shotgun" type head makes engaging the high effort thumblock on the Park pump that much more awkward.

I just bought a Performance Hurricane Team pump on sale. Hopefully it will perform better than this POS.

Similar Products Used:   Silca track pump, various Performance brand pumps.

Bike Setup:   N/A

Submitted by Gregg a Cross Country Rider from Columbus, OH 43021

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2006

Strengths:    Comfortable grips, nice finish, stable

Weaknesses:    leaks air when trying to use, check value will not open unless deflate tire first, airhead is finicky, gauge hard to read

Bottom Line:
This is the worst Park tool in their catalog, no contest. Every person who I have spoken to about this product is either neutral or hates it. I had a Silca that lasted ten years until rust consumed the bottom. This Park is finished after one year. The check value refuses to open unless you first deflate the entire tire. The airhead is so poor that using the stupid thing is a two person affair. Park should be ashamed to have their name on this thing.

Purchased At:   Bikeman