Innovation Ultraflate Pump

3.9/5 (10 Reviews)

The top selling CO2 inflator worldwide! Easy to use front trigger design allows for effortless inflation. Accepts non-threaded BB gun type cylinders along with all sizes of larger threaded cylinders and Big Air! Cylinders. Push on for Presta and screw on for schrader valves. Offered in black/yellow and cool clear. Includes one 12 gram non-threaded CO2 cylinder.

Submitted by Doug Folkerth a Cross Country Rider from Gainesville, fl, usa

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2009

Strengths:    Works well

Weaknesses:    Main Plastic body broke on trail leaving me stranded

Bottom Line:
Very poor design I was way back in the trails when I had a flat tire. When I tried to screw on the body with the CO2 cartridge the plastic body broke, leaving with a very long hike.

Favorite Trail:   San Flesco, Florida

Purchased At:   @ Race

Bike Setup:   Mt Bike, Sugar One

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Austin, Tx

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2003

Strengths:    well priced

Weaknesses:    nothing yet

Bottom Line:
not much to say other than this item is great so far. i've been using co2 cartridges from my pellet gun. i figure if the seals degrade from the oil in the cartidges then i'll by another one.

Purchased At:   kimsbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   telephone call when tire went flat

Bike Setup:   old aluminum trek with two wheels, seat, etc.

Submitted by Neil a Racer from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2003

Strengths:    No pumping! Fast flat changes (especially in winter- brrrr!)

Weaknesses:    multiple flats can leave you stopping someone to borrow their pump.

Bottom Line:
I've used CO2 inflators for years, pretty much since they surfaced in the late 80's/early 90's. If you buy the cartridges from the manufacturer you'll find yourself borrowing a pump instead of paying $1.50-$3 to fill your tube. I understand the theory behind oil and latex or butyl but quite frankly I've been using the inexpensive BB gun cartridges for years with no degradation of the seals or the tubes. It could be that the air/oil mix goes directly into the tube, bypassing the seals on the inflator. As for the tube, if you ride your bike then you should flat long before the tube disintegrates.
I contacted the Daisy Corporation and the technician there explained that there is a tiny amount of non-detergent motor oil in the cartridges (SAE 30-40). The amount is small becuse BB guns use a lot of CO2. Unless you have an afinity to ride in Briar patches you shouldn't use your inflator more than a dozen times a year. If you pinch flat a lot, go tubeless. In fact just go tubeless anyhow, you'll thank me later.
I contacted a technician at Valvoline and he explained to me that there are many rubber seals that come into contact with motor oil in the engine and the motor oil does not harm latex or butyl.
Bottom line, use the cheap cartidges and don't worry about the oil. I never even knew they had oil in them until now because there's such a small amount you can't see or feel it after inflation. The only reason I've had to replace inflators has been because I've broken or lost the inflator or I just wanted to try something new. In fact, I still have one of the first brass thread on inflators I ever bought and I use it occasionally with no problems. Innovations has made the best inflators for years and you can't go wrong with their products. I personally use the Ultraflate and my wife uses the Ultraflate IH. We like em. Now turn off your computer and go ride your bike.

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   You name it, I probably had it or used it.

Bike Setup:   Specialized full sus. with good parts that make me go fast.

Submitted by Norm Weatherby a Cross Country Rider from Dallas

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2003

Strengths:    Compact...reliable

Weaknesses:    Weight a bit much

Bottom Line:
The advice given by some people about obtaining the co2 cartridges at Walmart, sporting goods stores, etc is flawed. What you need is "restaurant grade" pure co2 for tire inflation. All the other el cheapo cartridges you get from sporting goods stores, etc have oil in the gas. That's because they are intended for air guns. Oil...metal...got it? On the other hand do you know what happens (real quick) when you put oil on rubber...like tubes, o rings...condums... etc? Instant disolving of the rubber. I can't believe nobody seems to know this who writes these reviews. No wonder people wwere having "problems" with the "Oil rings leaking"(Disolving). I wonder how many tubes and tires fell apart on them. Hey...this is just basic chemistry not advanced brain reserves). Check with Daisey manufacturing to find out about the oil in the carytridges. If you want you can purchase cartridges from restaurant supply wholesalers that have "Pure co2". The price is roughly the same, a little more, than buying it from the company on the phone. (Go for the 20 count unthreaded 16 gram display box.) Semper Fi.

Purchased At:   RBM

Similar Products Used:   Frame pumps

Bike Setup:   Trek 5200 with dual HED 3's

Submitted by Paul Patterson a Cross Country Rider from Cincinnati, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2001

Strengths:    Small/compact. Can be used on either schrader or presta valves without changing parts or adapters. Uses either threaded or non-threaded cartridges. Inflates quickly.

Weaknesses:    Well, only one..when you're out of cartridges you're out of luck.

Bottom Line:
Bought this mostly out of curosity. Had I known how great this was, I would have made the switch to CO-2 a long time ago. This is a great inflator. I use 12 gram cartridges from Wal-Mart at about an average of .62 ea. Inflates 700 X 25C tires to 94 psi in four seconds. Have used it several times and has not let me down. I carry three cartridges with me. If you want to save space, get one of these. If you want a pump, get a zefal HPX...don't mess with mini-pumps unless you like pushing your bike instead of riding it.

Favorite Trail:   the open Road

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Crank bros mini pump..a real P.O.S.!! Zefal HPX, a great pump.

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Paramount Ti with complete Ultegra triple components.

Submitted by TJ Sleboda a Weekend Warrior from san jose, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2001

Strengths:    Easy to use, compatible with BB gun cartridges, inflates all kind of tubes

Weaknesses:    Center Pin

Bottom Line:
I used the ultraflate maybe 6-7 times and the center pin has broken, Now it will not pearce the CO2 cartridge. Very dissapointing - especially when you have to hike your bike out. The previous ultraflate blew an oring which caused a leak. Seems like the product is almost there, just comprimising on the cheapness factor.

Similar Products Used:   Other ultraflate pumps

Submitted by Luke from Toronto Canada

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2001

Strengths:    Portability,ease of use

Weaknesses:    Durability/reliability

Bottom Line:
Well I hope my experience is an exception. I used the Ultra flate 2 times. I loved it as it allowed me to achieve high road tire pressures (using 2 CO2 cartridges).The third time I got a flat while out on deliveries (part time bike messenger) and after patching the tube could NOT reinflate the tire because the UF's pin that pierces the CO2 cartridge's top sheared off! I depend on my equipment to work when needed. Switching back to a hand pump. Innovations should not compromise quality of the UF's construction with cheap materials.

Similar Products Used:   Zefal,Beto,various portable pumps

Bike Setup:   Bianchi, Chris King headset, Phil hubs...

Submitted by BQ a Weekend Warrior from Columbus,OH,USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2001

Strengths:    Easy to use, light, fast, compact

Bottom Line:
Just got an Innovations Ultraflate from Performance for $17.99. It comes with 7 12g cartridges. Here in central Ohio, Wal-Mart sells 12g replacement cartridges for $12 for a box of 25. It looks like they should be compatible, though I haven't personally tried them.

Being the curious sort, I decided to try this device under friendly conditions so that I'd have a clue about how to use it when a tire goes flat during a ride. I deflated a tire, hooked up the ultraflate and pulled the trigger... WHOOOSH. The tire was inflated to 90 lbs in under a second.

Great product at a great price!

Favorite Trail:   any road w/o traffic

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Lemond Zurich, pretty much stock

Submitted by Scott Clements a Racer from Tas, Hobart

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2001

Strengths:    Small, Light, Fast tyre inflation for on the race course, this thing flat out rocks (with big air), from what i can tell so far!!!:)

Weaknesses:    well..... there seems 2 be a little crack, (in my clear one), where the brass thingy meets the plastic... and im not sure if its a bad thing or not??? still works, so im not fussing!!!;P

Bottom Line:
This is a good device for the xc racer (when used with big air). Although are there any betta ones out there????, look b4 u buy, thats what i say!!!:) im gonna give it about 4.5 chilies!!!:)

Favorite Trail:   Break Neck Track, Mt Wellington

Purchased At:   Tassie Cycles (Hobart)

Similar Products Used:   Nothing???, havnt used many co2 thingys...

Bike Setup:   Trek, xc race bike, LX, XT, sorta stuff...:)

Submitted by CW Wu a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2001

Strengths:    Minimal size & weight.
Fast tire change.

Weaknesses:    cartridges can be coslty. Buy at surplus stores.

Bottom Line:
It gets you back on the bike quickly and saves your arm from pumping.

Favorite Trail:   ECDM