Innovation Slim Jim IH Pump

3.83/5 (6 Reviews)

This pump combines the benefits of a full-size, high-capacity aluminum MTB pump with state of the art instant inflation of CO2. Pump can inflate tires quickly and easily with normal pumping action and switches quickly to CO2 when instant inflation is needed. Supports Presta and Schrader valves in the same opening with no threading necessary--just push on and inflate. Comes with mounting bracket. Uses threaded CO2 cylinders. Includes one 16g threaded cylinder.

Submitted by Phil a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2006

Strengths:    Dual functionality - pump and cartridge also both valve types, Aluminium pump body, pump inflates quickly (for mini pump!), CO2 even faster!
Ease of use - pump away or unscrew head from body, screw on CO2, push on valve and lift locking lever, then press trigger for inflate! Easy!
The plastic head gives some thing to hold when CO2 gets cold! T-Bar handle gives good purchase for pumping, and then folds away.
I have not had any issues with this pump and have used it both ways on about 40 inflates now...

Weaknesses:    None so far...

Bottom Line:
I have been happy with this pump, seems to work well as a pump or CO2, and like the 2 in 1 design.

Similar Products Used:   Variety of other mini pumps (all crappy and broke!), Silka floor pump (fantastic!)

Bike Setup:   Bikes with wheels that go flat!

Submitted by Dr. Dan a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2005

Strengths:    Solid materials and design

Weaknesses:    Would not inflate presta valve on first use. This was quite disappointing since I was 4 miles from the nearest road and had 1 hour of light left.

Bottom Line:
Not happy at all and will be returning first chance I get. I love the idea but it wouldn't seal on either two presta valves I was trying to pump and I up the CO2 for my other unit. Like I tell my friends and kids-always try an essential component before you're in the field dummy!

Similar Products Used:   Little black Zephals. Wish I still had it.

Bike Setup:   Specialized m4 with some other good stuff

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2005

Strengths:    Looks pretty good, very clever

Weaknesses:    Nowhere to stick the CO2 catridge...

Bottom Line:
The thing exploded the first time I used the CO2 thingy, up in the sunshine coast hinterland 80 k's from home. The brass thread where the cartridge screws in came out and shot the gas everywhere and when it was put back together it wouldn't work as a hand pump. Not happy :( The shop gave me a new one though I did have to wait 2 weeks to get it, haven't been game to try the CO2 yet, make sure I have the safety glasses on this time...

Favorite Trail:   Creek Track, Bunya

Purchased At:   Victor Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Ravx double action mini

Bike Setup:   Giant OCR1, Yes it's a roadie

Submitted by DJA from Pennsylvania, USA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2004

Strengths:    Versatility
High quality construction
Effective head design
Uses 12g/ 16g/ 25g/ threaded/ non-threaded/ Big Air! cartridges

Weaknesses:    Short tube means a lot o' pumpin'

Bottom Line:
This is a nice set. The current version includes the screw-on CO2 cup so this can be used as a straight CO2 pump if desired. All plastic pieces are quality composite material and all parts in general are overbuilt. Unless you seriously abuse this pump, it should last a long time. I definitely recommend this pump set.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Generic mid-size hand pump

Bike Setup:   Fisher Nirvana
'85 Schwinn Traveler

Submitted by O.P the retro fit apprentace a Cross Country Rider from moorhead, mn Usa

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2002

Strengths:    It has the options of a light weight co2 cartrige or use it as a regular hand pump. It is lightweight and affordable.

Bottom Line:
Inovations makes great products and has just added to the list with the slim jim.

Favorite Trail:   the good ones

Purchased At:   Bikes Unlimited

Similar Products Used:   Topeak mountain morph

Bike Setup:   Cannondale

Submitted by Joshua Joyce a Cross Country Rider from St. Paul, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2002

Strengths:    Easy to use, Solid Construction, CO2 is more than enough air to fill both my tires, and Low price.

Weaknesses:    Like most pumps, the mounting kit is weak. Every time it gets bumped it moves. Easy to fix with a couple clamps from the hardware store.

Bottom Line:
I really like this pump even know I havent had a flat on the road since I got it. Since I keep my bike in my apartment, I have used it several times to inflate, deflate, inflate, deflate... Drives my Fiancée crazy.
I would recomend getting this pump for any one who wants a small-strong mini pump. The Air is Great, but the pump works just fine by itself. Im tring to get one for my dads birthday right now, but i cant seem to find it at performance anymore.

Favorite Trail:   Gateway Trail