Innovation Chubbie Duo Telescoping Pump

1.67/5 (3 Reviews)

This high capacity mini pump features our unique duo presta/Schrader head and offers a locking telescoping barrel for either high capacity or high pressure pumping. Made of tough ABS composite plastic. Efficient inflation for either MTB or road bikes. Telescoping barrel folds up into a nice small, compact package for easy storage on bike.

Submitted by poo pickles a Weekend Warrior from newport beach

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2005

Strengths:    it can make great 'fart' noises if you put your finger over the hole.

Weaknesses:    pumping air.

Bottom Line:
oh, boy. here is my one act play based upon my use of this product:
(the curtain rises on a doughy moron, hunched over a beautiful italian bike somewhere in paradise...)
POO: hmmmmm...my tire seems a bit low. maybe i will put some air in it using my new pump. hmmmm...goddamit. damn thing barely works. ow! it just pinched my finger! man, this thing really blows...just not 'air' into my 'tire'. i would rather pierce my eye than use this crap thing any longer.
(the curtain falls...)

Favorite Trail:   montana de oro

Bike Setup:   bianchi kingbee with WTB tires (called something like werewolf, i think)

Submitted by Jim S a Weekend Warrior from Louisville, KY

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2001

Strengths:    very compact, looks good

Weaknesses:    sucks!

Bottom Line:
I put 5 times the effort that should be necessary to pump a tire to 55-60 psi and it won't get a tire inflated more than 35-psi. I don't know anyone who wants to ride a tire at 35 psi. This pump is a waste. I got it because I wanted a small pump to fit in my hydrapack but after trying it, I'm throwing the pump on the junk pile and putting my Blackburn Kamikaze back in service.

The advertised claims that this pump can reach 100+ psi make me wonder about the ability of innovations to design a good pump since both me and the previous review can't get more than 35 psi ... hmmmmmm

I'm givin' it 1 flamin' chili because there is no zero option!

Favorite Trail:   Fort Duffield

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn Kamikaze

Bike Setup:   26 x 2.1 mtb tires

Submitted by Jay a Cross Country Rider from Simi Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2001

Strengths:    Short and compact. Fits both Presta and Schrader valves without changing nozzles.

Weaknesses:    High pressure setting doesn't work.

Bottom Line:
The best thing about this pump is that it fits both Presta and Schrader valves without having to change any parts. It has two different inflation settings. A rotating switch at the base of the pump alternates it from high volume to high pressure. When the pump is switched to high volume it works great. When it is switched to high pressure it doesn't work at all. What happens is that it only inflates when it is nearly at the end of it's stroke; a little under an inch. It claims to inflate to over 100 psi. I could only get it to 35 psi and that was achieved using brute strength on the high volume setting. Overall it's a rugged design and fairly light. I got it as a gift but wouldn't pay over $20 for it. It's a decent pump to have for a recreational bike since it comes with a mounting bracket. Don't bother buying it if you plan on XC or racing.

Favorite Trail:   Cheeseboro Canyon, Agoura, CA

Similar Products Used:   Floor pump, air compressor.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 90 Disc. Brand new so it's all stock.