Innovation Air Chuck Pump

4.2/5 (15 Reviews)

Innovations Air Chuck Elite: Genuine Innovations top of the line mini inflator with Push-to-Inflate CO2 flow control. Works with all Genuine Innovations threaded CO2 cartridges (except 45 gram) and Genuine Innovations Big Air!

Submitted by MOMtbiker a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2009

Strengths:    Simple to use... makes inflation FAST. I have used this more then 15 times and it works flawless. Out on the trail it can't be beat for getting you going again. Pumping a tire with a mini pump takes a ton of time and can wear you out. The Innovations couldnt work any better.

Weaknesses:    wish the replacement cartridge were cheaper... but its still way better then using a hand pump on the trail.

Bottom Line:
I am not sure why there is any negative feedback other then because they didnt read the instructions. If you do what the instructions say then you will understand how simple and flawless this thing will work. Seems like thats what most bad reviews are... people not understanding or not taking the time to figure out how to properly use it.

You can get on Innovations web site for the instructions and also for instructional video's. Give it a try BEFORE going out on the trail!

Favorite Trail:   Any

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper, Cannondale roadie, and several other bikes.

Submitted by redracer a Cross Country Rider from Williamsport, PA 17701

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2008

Strengths:    None - no lance to pierce air canister

Weaknesses:    Crappy Company - ABSOLUTELY NO SUPPORT

Bottom Line:
Will never patronize Innovations again!

Favorite Trail:   My 44 acres

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Planet bike

Bike Setup:   '04 Blur, Stan's 355, Chris King, Fox 100X, Sram X.0

Submitted by Xtradust a Cross Country Rider from So Calif

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2008

Strengths:    Quick and light.

Weaknesses:    Frostbite

Bottom Line:
This thing is pretty cool. No more pumping. But, it ain't all that. The 'air chuck' gets so cold when inflating that it gave me frostbite blisters on my fingers. Now that I know what to expect, I just inflate a little at a time and I don't hold it so tight. (Or I ask a riding buddy if they want to try it! J/K)

Also, I run 26x2.35 tires and it didn't fill the tires as much as I would have liked. Probably between 35-40psi. If I got a second pinch flat on the way home, I would have been stuck. LBS's carry a 26g canister for 29ers now that has plenty of air.

With the bigger canister, it almost weighs what my mini-pump did. It still saves me space and fits in the small pack under my seat. Canisters aren't cheap. But my flats are pretty rare, so it's worth it for me.

Favorite Trail:   Santiago Oaks

Submitted by NA1NSXR a Cross Country Rider from Tustin, CA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2008

Strengths:    No brainer operation

Weaknesses:    Costs

Bottom Line:
I really like this thing as an alternative to carrying a pump. However, the name brand catridges they suggest you use exclusively are expensive. They are supposed to save the rubber seal on the device and the tube by forgoing the oil content present in cheap generic catridges.

For reference, a single 16g cartridge inflates my 2.1 tire from tube installation pressure to about the 40psi as advertised. I would suggest inflating the tire in 2 or 3 steps, allowing the catridge to warm up slightly between bursts and you to check if the tire is seated correctly.

I've only used it twice though, once to test it out and once more on the trail, so I cannot say anything about the durability yet.

Obviously, the valve itself is pretty overpriced to begin with, but I suppose you are paying more for the utility than the cost of materials. I would rate this as a must have if catridges were cheaper, but at the cost of at least $3 a cartidge a quality pump may be just as cost effective and reliable in the long run. Frame pumps mounted on my bike always break though and I have no room in my Camelback classic to carry one there, so since the complete kit fits in my saddle bag easily its my choice to bring out.

Submitted by 1-2win a Cross Country Rider from Guayaquil, Ecuador

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2007

Strengths:    Storage capability due to compact size. Great idea but poor durability (see bottom line)

Weaknesses:    durability

Bottom Line:
The thing just blew up apart while using it. Bought it a year ago and just had the chance to use it 4 or 5 times before it wrecked.

I have another one I bought for my wife which I haven´t use yet. Hope this one doesn´t turn into trash the way the first one did.

Purchased At:   Performancebike.com

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Scalpel Team

Submitted by David Yates a Racer from Leverkusen, Germany

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2007

Strengths:    Super small, light and reliable. I've used it for my road bike tyres and carry it when racing. It inflates road tyres in 3 - 4 seconds to about 110PSI (measured), which is sufficient to finish the ride on.

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses but things you need to be aware of when dealing with any CO2 inflation system. 1 It inflates very quickly so you need to ensure the tube is properly inside the tyre first, I usually take a mini pump with me for back up, but I use the AirChuck SL to get the pressure up quickly so I can get back to riding again. 2. Be aware that the escaping gas cause the outside of the CO2 canister to get freezing cold, so wear gloves when you use it or protect your hands with a t-shirt or similar item of clothing.

Bottom Line:
Great product, so small and light I carry it with me on all my rides. It's saved me time and effort when I have had punctures and is worth every cent.

Favorite Trail:   Leichlingen

Purchased At:   Amazon

Bike Setup:   Giant Rainer 2004 MTB and 2006 Canyon Ultimate Pro SL F10 Roadbike.

Submitted by Lee a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2007

Strengths:    Small (takes up very little space), light weight, easy to use! WORKS!

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This is a great product, for only $14.00 everyone should have it - but it is a MUST for those who run tubeless, or those who like to fill up quick while on the trail.

Favorite Trail:   Hawes

Purchased At:   Cactus Bike

Bike Setup:   GF GED w/Saint crank/derailleur/brake/hub, E13 bashguard and chainguide, Maxxis 2.5 Minion DHF (front) High Roller (rear)

Submitted by John Kretschmann a Weekend Warrior from Folsom, CA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2006

Strengths:    lightweight, easy to use.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't work with aero rims and short (36mm) valve stems.

Bottom Line:
The first time I tried this it blew up ... literally. I was trying it on aero rims with short valve stems and the guts literally exploded out. I was able to put it back together (at home with a hammer) and I tried it out on a normal, non-aero, rim and it works fine. I highly recommend if you run aero rims to use tubes with long valve stems.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Zefal inflator

Submitted by Lowry a Cross Country Rider from Swiss

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2006

Strengths:    It's faster, light weight, small and compact.

Weaknesses:    Take care it's little cold towards the valve. It's so expensive in swiss.

Bottom Line:
If you have a big tire take two cartriges with you.
So i just test two time on schrader valve it's very great.
I hope it's good too for presta valve

Purchased At:   Stoeckli

Similar Products Used:   zefal mini double shot

Bike Setup:   Giant trance 2

Submitted by danne a Weekend Warrior from kings park, ny

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2005

Strengths:    Small, compact

Weaknesses:    May get a little cold towards the valve. Wish it had a button to depress which would activate inflation. I leave a new CO2 cartridge on and don't turn it too tight. It would be nice to have a tab or a simple device that keeps the cartridge and airchuck separated.

Bottom Line:
Pack your wedge with a few C02 cartridges, and this thing will get you up and running quickly. Just make sure you have your glove on, as the cartridge gets cold quickly.

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   ironhorse dept. store bike, old school panasonic 10 speed, kona unit 05'

Submitted by jason from modesto

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
i think this thing is great...way better than a hand pump! a must have for any racer. simple to operate. the air chuck is relatively cheap, but the C02 cartridges (THREADED only) are a little hard to find and expensive (minus one chili on the value rating). given the price issue, i still wouldn't live without it now that i've tried it. NOTE: i'm not sure about the roadies, but ONE of my high volume mountain bike tires requires TWO cartridges to get it near 40 psi...carry multiple cartridges and a back-up hand pump just in case.

Submitted by Tom C. a Weekend Warrior from Martinez, CA

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2004

Strengths:    simplicity of design! simplicity of design. get it?!

Weaknesses:    haven't seen any yet.

Bottom Line:
NO LEAKAGE!!! works perfectly. so small, it leaves more room in tool bag! my riding partner, who has weak hand strength, had no trouble using it.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Innovations 'superflate' and 'ultraflate' models, both of which are crappy. they don't come close to filling a 700c tube to stated psi!

Submitted by Matthew a Cross Country Rider from Milwaukee

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2003

Strengths:    Stoopid simple, elegant design. Light. Works.

Weaknesses:    Just two, but they're minor. 1: You can't use non-threaded cartridges, but who cares? 2: If you thread a cartridge on, thereby puncturing it, and then leave it for a while without filling a tire, the CO2 can cause the rubber seals to dry out and crack. Only thread a cartridge on when you're going to use it right away.

Bottom Line:
What's to say? This thing is brilliant. It's simple, light, and works well. You can use it on both schraeder and presta valves without any tinkering. Air modulation is great. I still carry a mini pump as backup, but I'd much rather save my arm and use this first. Everyone should own this.

Favorite Trail:   Bonzai

Purchased At:   Wheel & Sprocket

Similar Products Used:   Topeak mini-pumps, other inflators that I don't remember.

Bike Setup:   '98 Trek 8000 with lots o' goodies.

Submitted by Rob Zwissler a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap ($14 with three 16 cartridges!), very compact, high quality (solid metal!), light (because it's small), works great (allows accurate metering), simple

Weaknesses:    It's too good!

Bottom Line:
This is the third co2 pump I've used and it's by FAR my favorite. This thing is perfect. I use it with Presta valves. The metering method it uses (push for more air) is by far the simplest, fastest, easiest and most accurate I have tried. Very simple one hand operation, while feeling the tire for proper inflation with the other. The other co2 pumps I used have been "more sophisticated", with the SKS having an adjustable rate (useless and bulky), and the second wind having a trigger (not as convenient as this pump). I use this for my primary pump, carry 2-3 co2 cartridges, and have a Crank Bros Power Pump (great mini) for a backup. I highly recommend it.

Favorite Trail:   DesPlaines River Trail

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Similar Products Used:   SKS Airgun (adjustable rate co2), Second Wind (co2/manual combo), Crank Bros Power Pump (manual mini)

Bike Setup:   Marin Sausalito Hybrid, 700x32c 80 psi tires

Submitted by Frank from Pomona, NY

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2002

Strengths:    Easy to use, FAST. Small and inexpensive

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Very good tool. Saves a lot of time pumping. Instructions say it fills ATB tire to 40lbs. Tire felt fine after fill up. Very small, I carry the chuck and two cartridges and a pump for backup. I would defintly buy this, it saves time

Purchased At:   EMS