Fox Shox HP PUMP Pump

2.92/5 (13 Reviews)

-High pressure air pump for forks and frame shocks -360 degree swivel hose, tap-bleeder, Schrader valve

Submitted by NytrostarSS

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2013

Strengths:    Small

Weaknesses:    Gauge is out of wack after one use.

Bottom Line:
Used this new pump on my rear shock and nowthe gauge won't go below the 25 mark. it's still pumping air though but I have to go by "feel" now to set my shock pressure. I wont be buying this again.

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Amazon

Submitted by AD a All Mountain Rider from Nashville, TN USA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2012

Strengths:    It works great until it breaks

Weaknesses:    It breaks, and from reading the reviews here, it breaks often

Bottom Line:
Well, it is a simple enough little device - a low volume/high pressure little pump. Worked great until it wouldn't hold more than 50psi. I checked the o-rings, they were dry so I lubricated them with a little oil - it didn't matter. It still wouldn't hold pressure. Would bleed back to 0psi as soon as I quit pumping.

Favorite Trail:   Canal Loop Trail, LBL

Purchased At:   Local shop

Bike Setup:   2 wheels

Submitted by Croaker a Weekend Warrior from Folsom, CA USA

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2011

Strengths:    Nice construction

Weaknesses:    One way valve quit after 5 uses. Now the pump works as a pressure reducer only.

Bottom Line:
Purchase at your own risk. The product looks well made but looks are deceiving.

Similar Products Used:   Can't remember all the hand pumps I've used since my 70's Silca.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Altitude, Fat Chance Wicked Lite (rigid-thank god)

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Nagoya Aichii Japan

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2009

Strengths:    Light and compact , easy to use,

Weaknesses:    After appx. 50 uses of inflating and deflating the pump started leaking from the joint near where the punp connects to shock valve, I am told parts can't be replaced and if I want it repaired to send back to FOX headquarters in the States - as I live in Japan this is not an option.

Bottom Line:
Though I have had the pump appx. 2 years I have not been a heavy user, for the amount of uses the pump has had I thought it wore out very quickly - this is probably a very good pump for someone who is only going to use it a few times a month but not suitable for a daily user

Favorite Trail:   Hakuba

Purchased At:   Bike Shop now not in

Bike Setup:   Commencalwith front and rear FOX shocks

Submitted by Pieter Chwiecko a Weekend Warrior from venice,FL USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2008

Strengths:    Looks Nice and it's light.

Weaknesses:    Lasted for only about 10 uses!

Bottom Line:
Do not buy this product.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Gap

Purchased At:   Came with bike at The Red door Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   sunlight pump

Bike Setup:   K2 Disco monkey

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Avon, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2007

Strengths:    Works as advertised, good hose, smooth pumping, (sounds like Im reviewing a male hooker)

Bottom Line:
I dont understand the negative reviews, I bought a high pressure gauge made for some kind of machinery(you can find them on google), any way its very accurate and my topeak loses tons of air when unscrewing. The o ring is at the bottom of the valve so it doesnt seel until the same moment the valve in the schrader is depresed which causes you to lose TONS of air when unscrewing as the shock valve and the pump seel are disconecting at the same moment.

The fox has the o ring up around the threads so it seels within the first couple of turns long before the valve in the shock is opened. The only air that escapes is from the pressure left in the pump, the shock itself has long been closed. when reataching the Fox you will lose about 20lbs of pressure as the empty space in the pump has to equalize with the pressure in the shock. All this is explained in the instructions if any one bothered to read them.
The Fox pump is within 2 lbs of my high pressure guage the topeak is within 50 lbs (no joke). Which do you think sounds like a better deal. Im a clyde at 235 (no fat just big) so I need the pressure accurate as I run high levels.

Favorite Trail:   Vail, Keystone, Fruita

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Topeak

Bike Setup:   Jamis xam 2.0,Fox dhx air 5.0, Fox Talus rlc 32, chris king hubs, dt swiss ex 1750 rims, Goodridge cables, etc..

Submitted by Chucko a Weekend Warrior from Silicon Valley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2007

Strengths:    It pushes air.

Weaknesses:    Easy to inadvertently hit the bleed valve. Decoupling hose from shock tends to bleed away lots of pressure.

Bottom Line:
The Fox pump looks like yet another private-label variation on the standard 300 PSI shock pump with gauge. It works like one too. Seen one, seen 'em all.

What exasperated me about this pump was the amount of pressure bled off when disconnecting it from the DHX Air. I never had any confidence in how much pressure was left in the shock. This was less of a concern with the TALAS fork, because of the lower pressure and relatively large air chamber. I also found myself fat-fingering the bleed valve by accident, trying to get a grip while pumping.

Do yourself a favor. Toss this pump and its clones in the trash or sell it with your old bike, and get a Topeak Pocket Shock DXG.

Purchased At:   Came with fork (which came with bike)

Similar Products Used:   Manitou shock pump, Topeak Pocket Shock DXG

Bike Setup:   Chumba XCL, Fox 32 TALAS RLC fork, Fox DHX Air 5.0 rear shock

Submitted by RacerB B a Cross Country Rider from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2006

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    I wished I could say it blows, but the problem is that it will not blow air into anything.

Bottom Line:
Throw this POS away and don't get stuck actually needing it, seriously. HEY FOX! If your going to give something away, make sure it's not a total POS.

Purchased At:   Came with forks

Submitted by kent a Weekend Warrior from The OC

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2005

Strengths:    worked fine for 18 months, only lost 10lbs on disconnect

Weaknesses:    many strokes to fill!, connecting valve broke after 18months (maybe 75 uses?)

Bottom Line:
worked for a while, but now the screw-on valve is broken. it simply won't stay on the shock, and deflates the shock when you try to use it.

cheap metal stripped inside valve?

Purchased At:   gift

Bike Setup:   truth

Submitted by Dave from Austin,Tx

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2005

Strengths:    Seems well made should do the job

Weaknesses:    Notice that this same pump is available with various names on it. Could have gotten at rei for $35 with some other name, also noticed the same pump with manitu(sp) on it for $25

Bottom Line:
It's a fine pump, but I am not sure if it made by fox and sold by others or just has the fox name on it. Look for the same pump with another name for less money.

Purchased At:   webcyclery

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2003

Strengths:    Doesn't leak ANY pressure when disconnecting. Fine tuning valve lets out gas in perfectly metered 1 PSI increments.

Weaknesses:    Would be a "6" if it had the swiveling tubing like the Wrench Force pump - but hey, it works and the Wrench Force doesn't. Also, it can be difficult to find - Cambria had it in stock for anyone interested.

Bottom Line:
Although I've only used two different pumps, this one definitely works as advertised - I would recommend it to anyone. The Lefty has a very finicky valve that makes pumping it up with sub-par pumps almost impossible. The Fox pump works perfectly with both my Fox shock and the Lefty. This is a quality product made completely of Al alloy and steel - to be expected from the people at Fox.

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Wrench Force shock pump - POS IMO... I was loosing 50PSI every time I dissconnected.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jeckyl 1000, Lefty DLR 100mm, Hayes 6", XTR, Fox RL.

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from San Dimas, California, USA

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2002

Strengths:    So-far no problems at all. Pump is light and fits in my Camel Back H.A.W.G. without displacing other needed items. Seems sturdy- this is my first shock pump. Pressure release button allows pressure reduction without having to pump again.

Weaknesses:    None detected yet.

Bottom Line:
Pump has worked perfectly for me. I have no other shock pump experience to compare it to. My rating is based on a first time shock owner.

Favorite Trail:   Near JPL in La Canada