Crank Brothers Power Pump Alloy Pump

2.77/5 (69 Reviews)

While Crankbrothers pedals sometimes overshadow the rest of their products, it should be known that their forward way of thinking is prevalent here in their Power Pump Alloy. The packaging of all its features is impressive considering its size.What you get is a mini pump capable of inflating both Presta and Schrader valves. And as we all seem to ride on road and off, it has an air switch that lets you select from high volume or high pressure to lessen the number of strokes and effort that it requires to get your tires pumped up to spec. It even has a round dial gauge that lets you see, at a glance, exactly where your pressure is as you pump. The Crankbrothers Power Pump Alloy is meant to last as it's made of 6061-T6 aluminum alloy. The dual piston design is efficient and makes quick work of both road and mountain bike tires. It pumps to a maximum pressure of 130 psi and includes a mounting bracket. It's available in Black/gold and measures 9.3"/238mm in length.

Submitted by PHS

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2013

Strengths:    Fits in handbag. Looks nice.

Weaknesses:    Lets all the air back out before you have a chance to get the thing off. By the time you need to use it, you've forgotten how to use it. Expensive for something that barely works.

Bottom Line:
More trouble than it's worth but does fit in a handbag. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone - sorry.

Submitted by Doughnut Spaghetti a Weekend Warrior from Lansing, Mi, USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2011

Strengths:    Looks great

Weaknesses:    Can't get it to work. If I do it take extreme effort to get to function.

Bottom Line:
I tried so many time to like this product. It's so unreliable it stays home most of the time. I've got this to work a couple of time, but it take so much effort to get any air into your tire your be better off just walking. I could never get it to pump more than 30 psi (if it was working). WHAT A WASTE! WTF Crank Brothers!

I bought this because I have C.B. pedals both my bike thinking this would work just as great. I was way wrong.

I should of got my money back after I got it, but I wanted it to work.

Favorite Trail:   whatever I can ride on

Purchased At:   ebay.com

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Comp 29er, Jamis Komodo II, Trek 950

Submitted by Shkoder a Cross Country Rider from Lutsk, Ukraine

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2011

Strengths:    very small, schraeder + presta, pressure gauge, aluminium case looks durable, pressure/volume switch

Weaknesses:    takes too much time to fill up MTB or even road tire, air leaks, breaks fast, presta is almost impossible to use

Bottom Line:
pump was purchased to save space in a bag or carry pump in a pocket. only feature that actually works - pump is very small and fits anywhere. also I am using CB pedals so I was thinking that I cannot go wrong. and Cannondale making very similar product. so I got one..

once being far from home I've noticed rear tire almost flat. cause was quickly found - just a presta valve not tighten up. aha, I have my small helper in a bag. first I had to loose 10 minutes to find secure position of switch on presta valve to avoid air leaks. then in 5 minutes of pumpin' I was started to hate CB, in 10 minutes I was about to sell my eggbeaters and switch to shimanos.. when I finally filled tire with air I had strong feeling that I won world masturbation championship =)

and finally, when I pumped road tire in garage, that nice CB pump just broken at 110 psi mark. started to leak air so I had to stop pushing and purchase new pump. problem was in o-ring inside with a special size impossible to purchase on DIY market. since CB is not selling replacement parts for their pumps..

ok, conclusion. CB pump highly recommended to all sperm donors worldwide.

Favorite Trail:   Panski Les

Purchased At:   velokiev

Similar Products Used:   topeak and comanche dual-action pumps with gauge

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F29 Caffeine

Submitted by Tiki Mon a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2010

Strengths:    Bike mount protects pump head from dirt and abuse.

Weaknesses:    Hard pumping, pressure switch breaks, and HARD PUMPING.

Bottom Line:
I used these for three years, and wanted to love it. The design looked great: gauge, protective bike mount to keep the head clear, long stroke. HOWEVER...

It's actually very difficult to go over 30psi, which is the killer for me. I'm always loaning to unprepared strangers on the trail, and this pump has destroyed the arms of many riders. We all gave up at 25-30psi. The pressure switch tends to break, the cap falls off for sure. Gauge was not accurate.

I just switched to the Lezyne Alloy Drive Mini (for MTB). It fills quick, and you're pumping easy at 45psi. The first day I carried it my wife popped a flat, and MAN, was that a different experience! Full pressure, ready to ride, and arms weren't beat!

Favorite Trail:   TSALI!!!

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Lezyne alloy drive mini

Bike Setup:   Marin Wolf Ridge, SLX 2-ring, Avid BB7, Fox shox

Submitted by reamer41 a Cross Country Rider from Tempe, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2010

Strengths:    When this pump is working it's pretty good. I've used it with Mtn and road tires and can pump to 90 PSI or so. Seems well built

Weaknesses:    Head fails. frame mount thing is useless. I threw it away and put the pump on my camelback.

Bottom Line:
I've had a couple of these pumps fail. Crank was good for replacing the first one. Now, after being stranded on the trail with a broken pump, I don't think I want another one.

Similar Products Used:   half a dozen other pumps

Bike Setup:   pneumatic tires

Submitted by gunguy a Weekend Warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2010

Strengths:    Great product that should come with some damn instructions. I couldn't get it to work until I watched the video on their site. It locks on and pumps well once you realize that you don't turn the head until after you push it onto the valve.

Bottom Line:
Does exactly what it's supposed to do and does it extremely well.If it doesn't work YOU are using it wrong.

Watch the instructional video and you won't have any problems.

Favorite Trail:   Waldo Canyon

Similar Products Used:   toppeak

Bike Setup:   Giant Rincon

Submitted by CmdrChode a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2010

Strengths:    Integrated pressure gauge, dual-piston design, accommodates presta AND schrader valves. Fills MTB tires quickly and efficiently

Weaknesses:    Not egregiously heavy, but not for the weight-weenie set. Also not sure how far past 35-40 psi you could realistically pump a MTB tire with this product in a reasonable time frame.

Bottom Line:
I have to say that after reading all of the negative reviews on this site and others regarding this pump, I almost didn't buy it. However, after reading the reviews and WATCHING the instructional video on the crankbrothers.com web site, it occurred to me that a majority of users simply do not know how to use it properly.

I am extremely glad that I did not listen to the naysayers. This pump is hands-down the best one I have used as it goes on securely, pumps quickly, and can inflate both schrader and presta valves.

Not only that, but it comes with an integrated gauge so you can pump up to the correct PSI, unlike other pumps where you have to guess, bring an extra gauge, or hope the C02 thingy works correctly. Having this tool means you can finish your ride instead of limping back to the start and hoping you don't flat out a second time.

Favorite Trail:   The Anthills

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn Mammoth, various CO2 inflators

Submitted by cannonls a Weekend Warrior from Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2010

Strengths:    Almost none.

Weaknesses:    It takes 15 minutes to fill up a mountain bike tire. Won't go above 25 PSI

Bottom Line:
Horrible product. I purchased this simply because it was Crank Brothers, but I couldn't be more disappointed. It takes 2-3 people to fill up a mountain bike tire with this because you get tired after 5 minutes. After a few months it broke completely. DON'T BUY! At least now I'm forced to buy a decent pump.

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophet

Submitted by nifartet a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2009

Strengths:    Very nice looking and good quality feel to it.

Weaknesses:    Does not work, but that could be why it was left on a bench down the Tarka Trail.

Bottom Line:
I might consider buying one if the shop could let me test one out first.

Purchased At:   Found on Trail

Similar Products Used:   Halfords own brand

Bike Setup:   Thorn Tour

Submitted by thorn a Weekend Warrior from Prague (CZ)

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2009

Strengths:    nice, looks tight and works mainly

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
I think it would not be sold in the U.S.. Then gets bad reviews. Muuuhehehehe. Just use the contents of the skull.

Purchased At:   Prague

Similar Products Used:   you can not compare with anything

Submitted by Hunde a Weekend Warrior from Durango, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2009

Strengths:    Smallest Pump I've seen that has working gauge. Works Simply and quickly for schrader and presta valves. Simple intuitive design

Weaknesses:    I assume it could attach to the bike better as I found it while riding in the mountains

Bottom Line:
I seriously question the other sour reviews here. I found this on the trail and had to use it later in the day... on my truck. After about a minute looking it over and tinkering, I started pumping up my tire on the truck at the trail head (at ~10,500 feet). I started with the high volume setting and when that got to tiresome I switched to the High pressure setting. These guys (crankbrothers) are geniuses for coming up with this. Sure, it pumps slower, but you save your arms and energy. I got the tire up to full pressure and drove the 27 miles home just fine. This pump is sweet, it disappears in my pack, shirt, pocket and has saved my (and my friends) butt a number of times already. I've never seen instructions, but if you simply inspect the thing you will see that the gauge just has to be lined up with the corresponding valve type you are using. Obviously, it can only have one hole for air to flow through, you just need to line it up with what you are doing.

Favorite Trail:   Hermosa Creek, Dgo

Purchased At:   Found on Trail

Bike Setup:   Bontrager Privateer. Single speed.

Submitted by chalacha a Racer from West Haven, UT USA

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2009

Strengths:    Fairly stable design, feels quite durable in the hands, looks like it should be quite capable... The High Pressure and High volume options are rather neat... but why?

Weaknesses:    Bulky and cheap bike mounting system, not very simple to figure out - comes with little/no instructions.. did not work as it should have... does not work at all with Schrader valves anymore...

Bottom Line:
A pricey little pump that doesn't hold it's own... It took me a couple hours to finally get it right... I cannot imagine that the Crankbros designers made a huge mistake - I think it comes down to the quality of some of the crucial parts inside... It worked on and off for a few weeks... I always carried two pumps in my pack and always wanted to give this one the benefit of the doubt so I typically turned to it first... It rarely worked with Schrader valves at first and would eventually let all of the air out.... It's OK with Presta valves, but I simply find it very unreliable and it probably will lose its place in my pack... Now it does not work with Schrader valves at all... I honestly tried to determine if I was doing something wrong, but if that is any indication - find something else... My $7 Bell pump I purchased 12 years ago is still ticking and reliable as ever.

Favorite Trail:   Skyline

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Cheap Bell pumps, topeak pumps, Scott floor pump, Parktool floor pump...

Bike Setup:   05 Stumpjumper Expert...

Submitted by Vegard a Cross Country Rider from Norðwegr

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2009

Strengths:    ~Lightweight
~Easy to use
~Easy to pump
~Great gauge

Weaknesses:    ~Doesn't feel sturdy
~Mounting hardware is less than adequate, I threw it away.

Bottom Line:
While the product feels flimsy at best it does what it's advertised to do, pumps tires up to 40+ psi with ease.
The two pumping options work great too, you get the choice between high flow or high pressure. Takes less than a second to swap between the two whenever there's a need.

I had problems getting my tubeless tires up to the recommended 40psi, but after this arrived in my mail I managed to get the tire up to spec without breaking a sweat.

The gauge works great too, so much infact that I wish I had the same gauge my other pumps.

Purchased At:   Masherz

Similar Products Used:   Various blackburn and misc pumps.

Bike Setup:   Cdale F6
Gt Avalanche 2.0

Submitted by zapper4 a Cross Country Rider from Lafayette CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2009

Bottom Line:
Notwithstanding some reviews on this site I read, this pump works just fine. The high pressure/low pressure feature allows a quick pump up to over 40 pounds of pressure in several dozen strokes. I have found mine to be quite reliable; the only thing to watch is to keep the pump lined up straight on the valve while pumping and not let it move sideways, otherwise some air can escape. On presta valves, you can also screw on one of those dollar fifty schrader adapters, which makes the connection bombproof, although I don't find that necessary. Good product.

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Johnson2985 a Cross Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2009

Strengths:    Mostly metal, high pressure/high volume switch, pressure gauge

Weaknesses:    Pressure gauge gives inconsistent readings, the "simple" twist of the head isn't so simple. this pump has a hard time getting on the stem far enough to engage the valve

Bottom Line:
Somewhere in the design process someone forgot that people may have to rely on this pump to get them back home without having to walk the rest of the trail out. The few times i REALLY needed a pump it worked, however my hands and my disc rotors always seemed to make contact with each other because the damn thing would rotate off when i tried to twist the shaft, but hey eventually it would work and the little bit of blood was worth not having to walk over 5 miles back to my truck. Then there was today, luckily i wasn't fixing a tire but just realized my rear tire was low, no big deal, i though. So i get the pump off my bike take off the valve cover and put the pump on the valve. As i was pushing the pump down onto the valve assembly the aluminum handle pops out of the plastic head. (WTF!) so i screw it back in and sure enough it pops out again destroying the internal plastic threads in the pump head, and somehow the internal pump shaft was bent. The pump was useless now but all i can say is im glad i wasn't changing a tire in the middle of a long ride.

Purchased At:   Another Bike Shop (S

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stump-jumper FSR with Grimeca hydraulic disc brakes

HELP! Power pump alloy - gauge problem

I recently got the CrankBros Power Pump alloy and am loving its high pressure switch. The problem is, the built-in gauge doesn't seem to work. The arm on the dial would go up, as expected, when I'm pumping. When I reach my desired pressure [as shown by the arm in the gauge] and stop pumping, the arm ... Read More »