Cannondale Mini Pump Pump

2.38/5 (53 Reviews)

Cannondale MG301 Mini Pump

Submitted by joe from ny

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2001

Strengths:    always worked, got me home many times, has gauge, small size

Weaknesses:    arm and elbow are slightly sore after pumping 26 x 1.9 to 50 psi

Bottom Line:
This product saved me from walking home countless times, it is easily rebuildable and cleanable. It is small and unobtrusive on the frame. Considering my cost, it is a good deal.

Bike Setup:   cannondale f700

Submitted by Chris Vallo a Weekend Warrior from Ossining

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2001

Strengths:    Well it was free...and it looks kinda cool

Weaknesses:    Um, doesn't like to compress air in a controlled manner to pressurize an inner tube.

Bottom Line:
My 3 year old son thinks it makes a wicked toy Pump Shotty and I will no miss it one bit.
On the plus side the mount for it holds my snake light nicely for nite time riding for about $30...

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountian

Purchased At:   Trade

Similar Products Used:   $5 Foot pump from K-Mart

Bike Setup:   1996 Super V, Spinergy Rev-X, Magura Lites and whatever else was lying around an ex-Cannondale Team rider's house

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from London

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2000

Strengths:    Extremely durable
Quite cheap

Bottom Line:
Unlike many of the other reviewers, I have had extremely good experiences with this pump. Have had it for over a year and have taken it touring in Patagonia (mud, gravel roads, huge amounts of dust) and Africa and the thing is still working fine. I keep expecting it to pack in from the environmental exposure, but it is still going strong. Dust cap came off in Patagonia and replaced it with a bit of duct tape... that's about it.

Similar Products Used:   2 Zefal pumps (both utterly useless)

Bike Setup:   Cannondale FS

Submitted by Nick Butcher a Weekend Warrior from Cardiff, Wales, UK

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2000

Strengths:    It pumps up tyres
It's small & light
You don't need a user's manual

Weaknesses:    Doesn't seem to work for people with diminished intelligence.

Bottom Line:
I posted nearly 3 years ago with 4 chillis, this time I'm giving 5 on both counts. This thing still takes pride of place in my emergency toolkit and it's never let me down. When I've lent it to other people, they've always commented on how good it is.
If others are concerned about how long it takes to pump up a tyre they should carry a big stirrup pump around with them. This thing is for road/trailside repairs.
Hint to other users who can't seem to understand the mechanics of this thing: keep your f***ing hand off the hole at the top (it lets the air in and out)

Similar Products Used:   Bicycle Pumps

Bike Setup:   I set it up in my garage

Submitted by jelloman a Weekend Warrior from College Station

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
posted a prior review further down the list - to those who say this pump is not so bad probably haven't tried other pumps - i got a blackburn mammoth as a replacement and it is awesome for such a small pump! the cannondale broke right away!

dirt ones with hills

blackburn mammoth

Submitted by Preach a Weekend Warrior from Fort Worth TEXAS

Date Reviewed: November 11, 1999

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
doesn't put air in tire

Bottom Line:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the idea of a pump is to put air in the tube. Not only couldn't I get the C-dale pump to work well, I had to replace at least one tube because of it. Also bought a C-dale floor pump which worked just as well. Sold the floor pump for $5 and gave away the minipump. Got a Joe Blow and it rocks. Haven't used the einstein much but it works 1000 times better. Running presta valves.

the next one

6 months

Einstein

'99 Klein Attitude Comp (stock)

Submitted by Staffan Nilsson a Weekend Warrior from Stockholm

Date Reviewed: July 27, 1999

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
Weak, doesn´t puch enough air. Expensive.

Bottom Line:
Not even worth bringing out on your trail. Borrow your friends pump instead.

2 Years

Mt. Zefal and others.

Car-valve innertubes.

Submitted by androu morgan a Weekend Warrior from Portland OR

Date Reviewed: July 20, 1999

Strengths:
Looks great, especially with the little gauge (which is why i bought it)

Weaknesses:
Just doesn't work

Bottom Line:
I found this pump to be difficult to use for all the reasons stated in the other reviews: strange angle on the air outlet, inaccurate gauge, pump head doesn't connect to the valve (schrader)very well. I discovered the trick of tweaking the screw knob on the pump end but serously, this pump is way to much trouble. I had all these complaints before reading the other reviews here and I'm glad it isn't just me being stupid. this pump sucks.

less than 1 month

I've used small pumps before. can't remember what they are but they worked fine.

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from MA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 1999

Strengths:
size

Weaknesses:
frame bracket

Bottom Line:
This pump is not half as bad as all these people say it is. If you're careful with it, it won't bend your presta's and it will pump up your tires if know how to use it. Of course, the guage is mostly decoration and the little frame bracket drops the pump almost everyday. Bottom line, most of these reviews are from people who don't know how to use the pump.

Foxboro

Klein Pulse Race

Submitted by dan dare a Downhiller from goood `ol blighty

Date Reviewed: July 14, 1999

Strengths:
good when its not broken

Weaknesses:
too much brittle plastic

Bottom Line:
the pump worked fine until i got i puncture 27 miles from home so out came the pump as i tried to pump air i realised that noyhing was coming out, then i noticed the plastic/rubber piece inside the handle had snapped in half meaning `no phat air for me tires` so it was a long walk...gutted

anything that goes down

more than 3 years

blackburn,specialized,you name it ive tried it

haro dual slalom

Submitted by tl a Cross-Country Rider from overland park,kansas

Date Reviewed: March 31, 1999

Strengths:
The pump itsuelf is a quality product. I like the double action, and compact size.

Weaknesses:
Takes 75-100 pumps to fill a deflated tire and the mounting clamp is junk. My pumps new home is somewhere along shawne mission's trail.

Bottom Line:
Excelent high quality pump with a junk clamp.

Submitted by Joel a Weekend Warrior from College Station

Date Reviewed: March 22, 1999

Bottom Line:
This pump broke on me after just 4 or 5 days of use - the plastic around the clamp broke, so when i tried to lock the pump onto the valve, it wouldn't stay down and air would leak out - this product stinks - at least it happened within the first week i bought it so i can return it.

Submitted by M. Moore a cross-country rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: January 25, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have found this to be a great pump for the trail. It is easy to use and inflates quickly. During cross-country races cbviously CO2 cartridges are quicker, but they ain't cheap. For day-to-day use this pump works fine. I have had nothing but great experiences with Cannondale, from the four bikes to all the gear I've had, it has all been top-notch stuff. The one time I've had a warranty item, simply a broken zipper, they fixed it quickly and cheerfully. They are a quality company and stand by their products!

Submitted by Chris Sandmel a racer from Turner, OR

Date Reviewed: January 20, 1999

Bottom Line:

I love this pump my friend bought one just before I did and both of ours work great. The first time I used it I knew it would be a great pump the gauge works and the tilting handle end helps a lot. one complant after pumping for a long time the pump gets very very hot but what mini pump dose'nt

Submitted by Michael Hunter a cross-country rider from salem,Oregon

Date Reviewed: January 19, 1999

Bottom Line:

I love this pump at first it gave me a little trouble but after that it works better than any pump I have ever owned even my floor pump. Good job C-Dale.
Five Chilies

Mini Pump Hose

Aloha, This may not be for everyone but I just thought I'd post this up. The idea is to have a mini-pump driven hose with a universal head that can be hooked up to schrader or presta. This does multiple things for me. 1) My old pump, I don't have to worry about which way it is set and what k ... Read More »

Recommendation for a good mini-pump for Camelback?

I did a bunch of searching but haven't seen a good thread for recommended mini pumps. I hadn't checked my mini pump in over 5 years. When I needed it today, a mile from the car, it wouldn't work. So I'm in the market for a new one. I'm looking for one that's not too long (the 13" Topeak Mounta ... Read More »

Lost mini pump at Granite Bay

Hello everyone, My buddy accidentally left his tire pump on the ground on a group ride this Monday afternoon. This was at the base of the main hill on the GB race course, near the Twin Rocks Rd park entrance. It would have been lying in the hay that is left-over from the huge haystack that was se ... Read More »

CO2 or mini pump

I had a road bike for a while and carried a [URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BMDI9E?ie=UTF8&tag=5869-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B003BMDI9E"]CO2 inflator[/URL] with me to inflate a spare tire if needed. Do those work for mountain bikes as well or is it too little air to inflate ... Read More »

What is your favorite mini pump?

I am looking to purchase a mini pump, for trail emergencies. Is there a mini pump that stands out? I am not looking to pay over 50$. And the smaller and lighter the better; it at least has to fit in my camelbak. I am also going to be carrying a spare tire pressure gauge, so I don't need a pu ... Read More »