Blackburn TP-4 Pump

4.18/5 (17 Reviews)

TrakPump Pro comes with patent pending MagicGripper technology.

Submitted by eomcurator a Weekend Warrior from Alexandria, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2012

Strengths:    The Blackburn TP-4 has been a very durable product. I used it occasionally with no problems for well over a decade, until today.

Weaknesses:    This model is no longer made, and Blackburn customer service says they no longer have replacement parts. My pump no longer works because a small plastic part inside the Schrader nozzle deteriorated and disintegrated. If I could obtain that small part, or the entire hose, it would really make my day! Unfortunately, Blackburn says nothing it has is compatible. I was told that the warranty period was 5 years, and unlike some people who received free recent models when their TP-4 pumps needed repairs, apparently my lesser problem did not quality.

Bottom Line:
This was an excellent product during the many, many years that it lasted.

Favorite Trail:   Lewes-Rehoboth Beach DE

Similar Products Used:   Because I needed a pump in a hurry and was near a big box store, I bought a very inexpensive ($17) Bell Windstorm. It did the job of pumping up my tires, but the guage was defective and before I realized that this was the case I over-inflated a tube, which burst. I was watching the guage rather than thinking. I will return that pump.

Submitted by jkretsch a Cross Country Rider from Folsom, CA

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2011

Strengths:    Solid build quality. Amazing customer service.

Weaknesses:    Smarthead isn't the easiest to use.

Bottom Line:
I have to agree with several of the previous posters - Blackburn rocks!! Like a previous reviewer, I just got off the phone with Blackburn to see if I could order a rebuild kit. The TP-4 is no longer in production so they offered to send me the equivalent replacement (Air Tower 4) free of charge!! I'll never buy another brand of pump again.

Submitted by captnmal a Cross Country Rider from vineyard haven, mass, usa

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2011

Strengths:    smooth, reliable operation, easy to read gauge, comfortable handle, has good weight.

Weaknesses:    hose storage clip is lame

Bottom Line:
I use this pump irregularly to pump up my bike tires and occasionally to top up my car tire. I find the hose head/connector a little tricky to seat between the spokes but it seals well when right. My bottom line for any tool or accessory is durability; so far, so good. I have had the pump about five years I really cannot complain. It feels solidly built. I would like to find a bit of information about maintenance, whether to oil it, what kind of oil, etc....

Purchased At:   craig's cycle

Similar Products Used:   schwinn

Bike Setup:   GT, Ricochet. mid cost Shimano gears and derailleur.

Submitted by Michael L a Cross Country Rider from Pasadena, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2011

Strengths:    Lifetime warranty, guage up where you can see it (great for us old coots),ease of use and again- lifetime warranty

Weaknesses:    Not too thrilled with the clip that holds the hose for storage

Bottom Line:
I've owned this pump for 10 years and have got a lot of problem free usage until lately when it is hard to pump air into the tire. I called Blackburn today and was talking with a rep in less than one minute and he spoke fluent English! He figured it to be a problem that rebuilding will not fix so get this- they are sending me a new pump and I do not have to send back the old one! Yes, you heard me right, no cost replacement! In this age of one year warranties, pay for extended warranties,hassle when you have a problem, etc. why would anyone purchase a competitor's product? Blackburn's got me for life.

Favorite Trail:   Schultz creek

Purchased At:   Can't remember

Similar Products Used:   Many other brands

Bike Setup:   06' Yeti ASR-SL with Fox RP 23 and 10' Fox F100 RL. 09' build parts= XT drivetrain, King hubs and headset, Mavic 717 rims, Avid Elixer CR hydro brakes, Easton and Thompson.

Submitted by bbartle a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2009

Strengths:    Lifetime warranty!

Weaknesses:    It breaks every once in awhile.

Bottom Line:
I've been using this product for around six years. Parts have broken three times(one the inflation tube severed which was kind of weird). Each time Bell customer service has sent me parts via mail when I called in. Awesome! Without this level of service, this pump would have hit the dust bin some time ago. Still works great and I plan to keep using it until they no longer have parts available.

Submitted by Ricky J a Weekend Warrior from San Luis Obispo, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2006

Strengths:    Dual action head worked well, conveniently located gauge, efficient action, simple.

Weaknesses:    Fairly short-lived!

Bottom Line:
While it worked it did so pretty flawlessly with only the odd check valve stickiness to complicate things. Recently though it has become almost useless with irregular action and back-leakage.

A lifetime warranty is nice but having spare parts available to owners would be MUCH better for me than shipping it off for repair or replacement. Live and learn they say.

Purchased At:   Art's SLO Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Various & sundry

Bike Setup:   Steelman Signature road, Ventana El Capitan 29er

Submitted by David Harp a Weekend Warrior from Redlands, CA

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2005

Strengths:    This has been a solid pump for many years with no problems. I use it for both road and mountain tires and it works great on both.

Weaknesses:    After years of use the "magic gripper" pump head broke. Bell Sports replaced it for me free of charge and no questions asked. A customer service dream.

Bottom Line:
This is a very good pump and a GREAT company.

Purchased At:   Probably Online

Similar Products Used:   All of my friend's pumps and I've never liked one any better than the Blackburn.

Bike Setup:   Classic Barracuda XX with mixed components.

Submitted by Slack a Weekend Warrior from Willoughby, OH

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2005

Strengths:    Rugged construction, guage at top

Weaknesses:    Schraeder nozzle

Bottom Line:
I only needed the Schraeder side of the nozzle. I found that it would stay on sometimes, and at other times it would fly off with a burst. I found that I sometimes needed to hold it on with my foot, to keep it in place, while I pumped up my mountain bike tires.
Everything else about the pump seemed to be of good quality, except for the nozzle. I came up with the idea to replace it with the Topeak SmartHead Upgrade Kit $18.00 Item 634037 from REI:
The nozzle with this upgrade kit has a lever to hold it in place, and it works great.
Note: This Topeak nozzle works the opposite of how I think that it should. You have to put the nozzle on, then lift up on the lever, to lock it in place.
Added use: I found that I can even use it, quite easily, to put pump up my car tires. 5 pumps to get 1 PSI. (Why don't they advertise bike pumps for this?)

Purchased At:   Sport Mart (? I forget)

Bike Setup:   REI Aspen Novara

Submitted by P N a Cross Country Rider from Dayton, ohio United States

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2005

Strengths:    Solid construction, easy to read gauge, pumps tires quickly.

Weaknesses:    Hose design

Bottom Line:
Execellent pump with excellent support. Yes, the hose design could be better. It tore right beneath the screw-in section where the hose is clamped.

I called their contact number at www.blackburndesign.com and they're sending out a new hose (with valve heads)and a rebuild kit for the valve head FREE! No questions asked! I even asked for a second hose assembly because I like the pump so much (and offered to pay) and the rep said no problem and again, no charge.

I also asked if they had an rebuild kit for the tube section and rep said they did not. The way they hganlde it is to for the owner to send in the pump. If they can fix it, they will. If not, they send you the latest-greatest comparable model no charge.

In Blackburn's case, lifetime truly IS lifetime.

Purchased At:   K&G Bike Center

Submitted by bikeman a Weekend Warrior from Sydney

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2005

Strengths:    Pumps a lot of air, solid metal construction, gauge at top

Weaknesses:    Lifetime guarantee (NOT!!!), lack of replacement parts in OZ, no warranty or sevice from distributors

Bottom Line:
Had about 5 years of trouble free pumping until it failed miserably. Don't believe the lifetime warranty as nothing lasts forever. No replacement parts available, dodgy Oz distributor with no service. Purchase with caution. Would recommend the Silcar Pista - read the reviews, it just doesn't pump the same volume of air.

Favorite Trail:   Oaks at night

Similar Products Used:   Purchased a Silcar Pista based on the MBTR reviews for $AUS 60 on Ebay. Hoping for many years of trouble free pumping

Bike Setup:   Road - Giant TCR Carbon, Ultegra. Montain - original Specialized Ground Control FSR, Psylo SL, with XTR, XT.

Submitted by Gustavo a Cross Country Rider from El Paso

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2004

Strengths:    100 % reliable, just failed after 7 years of use, the valve head broke but it was replaced by the manufacturer at no cost. Gauge mounted on top. No air leaking while pumping.

Bottom Line:
You can go wrong with a Blackburn pump, no product is perfect and in case you have a problem with it, Blackburn's warranty & service is more than excellent.
Simple, reliable & durable.

Favorite Trail:   Cerro Bola

Purchased At:   Crazy Cats Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyll 3000. Full XTR 2003 & Mavic Crossmax SL wheels.

Submitted by Rod Munch a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa, CA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2004

Strengths:    Many years of usage

Weaknesses:    Not all happy

Bottom Line:
I think I've bought about 6 Blackburn pumps, and they used to be the best thing out there. Solid build, nice design. Maybe I'm asking too much of a $35 pump, but I wish it would just... work... forever. Somewhere along the line, Blackburn gave up on thumb locks. This unit had a press-on seal, which never ever really sealed that well. MTB tires at 35 psi, roadies at 135 psi, whatever. The gasket would fail regulary, simple beacuse you can't slide a compressed rubber ring around serrated brass for long before it becomes worthless. The pump body would also regularly unscrew from the base, and eventually broke at the threads. Please... somebody- enough with the plastic. Make a pump that works, and will last. I'll pay for it. Just bought a Park FP-2 and will see how that goes. 4 steamin' turds since Blackburn puts out a better product than the rest. "Fair" overall since the product needs to function better.

Favorite Trail:   The one less travelled

Similar Products Used:   many pumps in last 30 years

Bike Setup:   Hammerhead 100X, Fox 100RLC, ProPedal, XT, Martas

Submitted by bilbo79 a Cross Country Rider from las vegas

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2004

Strengths:    price. pretty durable (1000+ uses before any problem). great customer support.

Weaknesses:    the schrader valve side (on mine).

Bottom Line:
bought the pump years ago to service 3 bikes. 3-4 times a week. often pumped up car tires with it. one day, after like 5 years, the schrader side (less often used) plastic piece on the inside gave up. the presta side still works great. i was going to throw the pump out, but who throws out a $45 pump because a .4 cent plastic piece breaks. tried to find blackburn online, but couldn't. anyway, went to a dept store to kipe the plastic piece from a display model. but someone else beat me to it. the display model did have the customer service information though, so i copied it down. called them, and they were happy to just send out a rebuild kit for the whole pump. for free. got it a week later, and didn't even have to pay for shipping. don't normally leave reviews for accessories, but will now. thier customer service saved them. this thing is going to last 1000+ more uses.

Favorite Trail:   bootleg canyon

Purchased At:   bike chalet

Bike Setup:   metal frame. round wheels.

Submitted by Henry a Racer from Colorado

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2003

Strengths:    Easy to read guage, good handle

Weaknesses:    Valve head wears out to fast, after a season of use it needs rebuilt.

Bottom Line:
This pump is great for about a year and then it's time for a new one, replacing the guts never really brings it back to good working condition. Not a good pump for a home mechanic or someone who rides daily, would work well for the weekend warrior.

Favorite Trail:   chutes and ladders Fruita