Blackburn TP 3 TRAKPUMP Pump

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

New patent pending MagicGripper pump head fits both Presta and Schrader valves with ease.

Submitted by Justin a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2012

Strengths:    Pumps tires well, not too heavy, built in pressure gauge. Also, I am 6'x6" so bending over a pump isn't really pleasant. I've found this one is a little taller than some others I have owned which helps in that regard.

Bottom Line:
This a good pump to have in your garage. i have had it for 5 years with no problem. Pumps tires well, not too heavy, built in pressure gauge. Also, I am 6'x6" so bending over a pump isn't really pleasant. I've found this one is a little taller than some others I have owned which helps in that regard. I would buy this pump again.

Submitted by PaintPeelinPbody a Cross Country Rider from Erie, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent Warranty despite low price.

Weaknesses:    Leaky Head

Bottom Line:
Blackburn might not making fancy blue tools that your overpriced mechanic is using but they make up for it in excellent customer service.

I bought this pump four years ago with the Double Barrel head (over/under design). Had no problems until this year when the Presta valve started leaking.

Park Tools is using this very same head on it pumps...so why pay more for old tech?

I called Blackburn up, they had an American customer service rep who sent me a brand new 2011 AnyValve head, no questions asked.

Purchased At:   Cyclewerks Wrightsvi

Similar Products Used:   Park Pumps

Submitted by TC a Cross Country Rider from The Boonies

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2003

Strengths:    Durable, functional gauge, strong base, serviceable, good Blackburn customer service.

Weaknesses:    Rubber/plastic handle broke after 3 years of baking in my garage

Bottom Line:
I like this pump - the seals in the valve attachment wore out after 4 years, but Blackburn replaced them for free and sent me extras (which you can also buy at the bike shop). They're relatively soft, so they seal over your valve very well until they wear out (4 years of use from me is a *lot* of use), and then you can replace them for $2. This pump has seen some serious use and continues to work great for me - like I said above, the handle broke after excessive exposure to heat/cold, but I just turned myself a nice new one on the lathe and attached it to the beefy metal piston on the pump. I appreciate a serviceable product.

Similar Products Used:   Topeak

Submitted by Mike a Racer from Houston

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
The guts of the head wore out after about 4 years. It leaks air on my road tires, especially after 100psi it will not stay on.

I called BlackBurn and they are sending out the repair kit for free! Just based on my customer servier experience and the fact it's a pretty good pump, I'd buy a blackburn again if I ever needed another pump.

Submitted by Ed a Cross Country Rider from Walnut,CA

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2001

Strengths:    Great pump for Presta valves.

Weaknesses:    MagicGripper Pump head does not work well with Schrader valve stems

Bottom Line:
Had a problem with a small piece of plastic that broke off the pump head. As a result, the pump would leak some air when pumping. Called Bell Sports (owns Blackburn) at 800-456-2355 and they got my info and said they would send out a whole tube and pump head assembly no questions asked. Apparently the MagicGripper head did not work well with Schrader valves and they stopped making it. A new dualhead assembly should be on it's way. Great customer service.

Favorite Trail:   Flume Trail, Lake Tahoe