Blackburn TP-2 Pump

2.5/5 (20 Reviews)

Blackburn TP-2

Submitted by colin a Racer from London

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2012

Weaknesses:    Poor tube valve conection and also moisture has got behind glass of pressure gauge and it has gone black, (cant read it) pump still works, would like to replace pressure gauge if possible, any one now where I can purchase one

Bottom Line:
good air pressurre and solid base, but if ussed in the open should be fitted with a more water proof seal.

Purchased At:   Halfords

Submitted by montyw47 a Weekend Warrior from Toms River NJ

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2011

Strengths:    Pump has nice gauge, can pump up auto tire(SHRADER type).

Weaknesses:    Plastic cap can be over tightened and top breaks off from shoving internals too far up airway. Presta style valve hard to fit properly.

Bottom Line:
1 tiny plastic part disables whole pump.

Favorite Trail:   Winding River PArk

Purchased At:   Al's Bike Shop Princ

Bike Setup:   TREK 750

Submitted by Birdman a Cross Country Rider from Hillsborough, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2010

Strengths:    Fairly light, compact, sturdy

Weaknesses:    Lever pin in chuck

Bottom Line:
The plastic lever pin in the air chuck broke, but I replaced it with a steel one (made from a piece of clothes hanger wire) and the pump has been flawless since then. I've had it about 12-15 years. Just turn the barrel into the base every once in a while to keep it secure, and you're good to go.

I've replaced the air chuck seals at least once, and lubed the plunger once or twice. I'd buy another.

Similar Products Used:   Hurricane pump

Bike Setup:   N/A

Submitted by McBenney a Weekend Warrior from Macon, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2009

Strengths:    Durability, workmanship, customer service

Weaknesses:    Post treads not reinforced stripped out--after 13 years.

Bottom Line:
I had the same failure that others have described where the main post separated from the base. However this was only after 13+ years of use. Not bad in my book. Got a replacement pump from Blackburn under their lifetime warranty. Can't explain everyone else's poor performance but this pump goes down as a very good product in my book.

Submitted by Darryl Williams a Weekend Warrior from troutdale,or,usa

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2008

Strengths:    Low pressure tires

Weaknesses:    High pressure tires 120psi-150psi

Bottom Line:
I use this pump to pump up my road bike tires. Several times the hose has split at the base of the pump. Now the Plastic piece inside the tube with the o-ring around it broke and I cannot find any replacement parts:(

Purchased At:   ???

Bike Setup:   Triathlon bicycle

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2004

Strengths:    None that I found.

Weaknesses:    It wouldn't seal after 85psi. I installed 2 chuck seal replacement kits to no avail. Finally starting leaking oil, and all after 30 days of use.

Bottom Line:
My experience was poor. I cannot simply cannot recommend this pump.

Favorite Trail:   The hills of San Francisco

Similar Products Used:   Silca

Bike Setup:   Several: Road, MTB(2)

Submitted by Doug a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2004

Strengths:    Pressure gauge is relatively accurate

Weaknesses:    Falls apart too easily, dual chuck is difficult to attach

Bottom Line:
I read the crap reviews for this product, but stupidly decided to buy it on sale from Performance anyways. I have used it sparingly over the past 3 years, definitely <100 times. The reviews are right on - the body tends to separate from the base, causing the pump to wobble, the single foot rest makes it difficult to hold down while pumping, and the dual-sided chuck is very difficult to connect (Schrader experience only). The unit finally became useless when the Schrader side of the chuck came apart on its own (while in the trunk of my car) and I lost all the internal pieces. Bottom line - piece of junk - don't do what I did - heed the reviews.

Favorite Trail:   Middlesex Fells

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Bunch of cheap foot pumps

Bike Setup:   2001 Cannondale M400, 2003 Marzocchi MX Comp Coil 85mm, Azonic Double Wall Risers, XT cassette, LX cranks/BB/derailleur, Mavic X517/Topo hub/Michelin Wildgripper Comp S front, WTB Laserbeam/Deore hub/ancient Kenda rear

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Holland, MI

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2002

Strengths:    Gauge is easy to read.

Weaknesses:    Valve chuck. Not very durable.

Bottom Line:
These blackburn pumps last a only a year with regular use. I had two of these pumps. The first had a leaky O-ring around the pump's piston. The second one had a leaky check valve and the plastic piston became loose on the metal rod it is attached to. The metal rod is quite flimsy and can be bent if you attempt to pump up a tire one-handed. This pumps barrel diameter is too large and requires excessive effort to pump up a road tire. The base is not stable when pumping on carpet.

The dual sided Presta/Schrader chuck is a real pain to use. First of all the presta side is too shallow. When I slide the thing on, it is easy to put it on too far and accidently open the presta valve. Second, it requires two hands to lock the chuck onto the valve.
The schrader valve side has a built in check valve that greatly mpedes the flow of air. Pumping up a schrader valved tire requires considerably more effort than an identical presta valved tire.

I would not reccomend the Blackburn TPS-1 pump.

Purchased At:   Velo City Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Silca pump.

Bike Setup:   This pump is the TPS-1 model.

Submitted by Marc a Weekend Warrior from Windsor, CT

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2002

Strengths:    Decent customer service, broken parts were replaced at no charge.

Weaknesses:    Broke Presta valves. Gauge is now off by 22lbs or so. Never fit the tire valve well. Soft foam on handles compresses, plastic edges dig into palms.

Bottom Line:
This was my first real pump. In retrospect, I lived with problems that I might not have had with other pumps. But it worked Ok, and Blackburn dide replace the hose no questions asked. Of course the hose shouldn't have broken... It didn't bother me too much when i realized the gauge was trashed and I had to replace the pump.

Similar Products Used:   Avenir Air Max pro

Submitted by Richie a Weekend Warrior from Great Falls

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2002

Strengths:    pumped up tires and showed PSI

Bottom Line:
most expensive piece of junk i ever bought. i thought i was buying a good air pump but i was fooled totally. they made the air hose connection out of cheap plastic and the hose out of what feels like PVC piping. Because the hose was so stiff that the cheap plastic connection on the pump broke make the pump totally usless. best part i'm not able to get replacement parts either. DO NOT BUY BLACKBURN

Submitted by Micah a Cross Country Rider from Fort Worth, TX

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2000

Strengths:    pumps my tires up

Weaknesses:    Keeps breaking my presta valves...requires more force then it should to lock onto the stem.

Bottom Line:
I bought this thing cause I wanted a good pump. Tired of messing around with cheap ones/mini pumps. This thing seems to pump tires up ok but the magic head is a piece of crap. There is some little knob that is supposed to come down to punch the schrader valve or something. Anyhow the thing doesn't always retract and when I pump up my presta valves the thing clamps on and bends them. I have to bend them back so I can screw them back down. Takes about two times before the head snaps off and I have to replace the tube. I ended up going out and buying the brass pump head for the topeak pump for 9$( push it on, pull it off...simple and it works). The only reason I got the magic head is my wife has got some cruiser with schrader valves. Also this thing requires a good amount of force to lock onto the stem.

I would stay away from this PoS.

Favorite Trail:   Barton Creek Green Belt

Submitted by Nick from Bethlehem, PA

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I just wanted to make a comment about the Blackburn customer service. I have an old shorty pump, and the waterbottle-type bracket finally gave out. Well, I emailed them to ask how to order another, and the next day I recieved a reply: "It is on its way...no charge!"

EXCELLENT! This is how things should work!

Submitted by Todd a Racer from MI

Date Reviewed: October 13, 1999

Strengths:
Ver reliable. decent price

Weaknesses:
None yet

Bottom Line:
I bought this pump about 8 years ago. I pump by road tires to 150 PSI with it. it works flawlessly every time. If it broke today I would go buy another one. I have gotten alot of use from this pump.

more than 3 years

Submitted by K a weekend warrior from Kansas

Date Reviewed: March 11, 1999

Bottom Line:

I've had one of these pumps for nearly 5 years and it's been flawless since the day I bought it. Only thing I've had to do to it was replace the hose 'cause I was a moron and kinked the hose which caused it to eventually rupture. $5 and 5 minutes later, it was functional again. The only bad sides to this pump are the fact that the base is narrow and unless you stand firmly it, the pump becomes fairly wobbly, and the guage has small numbers which makes it kinda hard to read when your standing above it pumping away. Small quibbles for a pump that has taken untold amounts of abuse and withstood my complete disregard of its maintenance and still pumps as well as the day I bought it. I'll give it a nice 4 chili review, since there are a few things that could be done to improve it, but they would just be icing on the cake.

Submitted by the Walrus a weekend warrior from Simi Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: January 11, 1999

Bottom Line:

I've been using a TP-2 for about 2 years now, and it's been a bit of a mixed blessing. On the positive side, it moves a lot of air quickly, the action is smooth and the gauge is pretty accurate. However, the narrow base is pretty unstable, and the chuck head is a royal pain--I have to go back and forth between Presta and Schrader all the time, and changing chucks is a clumsy process. I have not had any trouble with breakage like some of the people below; despite its quirks, the pump gives good, but not great, service. Hence, I can't give it more than 4 chilis.