Blackburn TP-1 Pump

2.2/5 (5 Reviews)

AN ENTRY-LEVEL FLOORPUMP WITH ALL THE EXEPTIONAL PERFORMANCE, QUALITY AND FEATURES YOU EXPECT FROM BLACKBURN, LIKE A STEEL BARREL, ACCURATE PRESSURE GAUGE, REPLACEABLE HOSE AND A PRESTA/SCHRADER COMPATIBLE HEAD. A STURDY RUBBER COATED FOOT PROVIDES A SECURE BASE ON SLIPPERY GARAGE AND SHOP FLOORS.

Submitted by Art Jay a Weekend Warrior from Fairfield, CT, US

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2008

Strengths:    Pumps tires OK

Weaknesses:    Normal depreciation

Bottom Line:
Bought for 70th birthday in 1994. Stays in garage year round. Used maybe 20 times per year. Satisfied with 65 lb. Other day, couldn't depress the handle. Found similar complaint in some blog but no sensible suggestions. Took it apart. Inner aluminum tube had corroded and detritus had blocked air paths (and jammed check valve?) in radial plug at bottom of tube. Cleaned everything (dental pick, emery cloth, W2-D40, 3-in-one oil) and reassembled (note: be sure check valve is back in place in radial plug). Works fine.

Purchased At:   Don's Bicycle Shop

Bike Setup:   Trek 930

Submitted by Kevin Demsky a Weekend Warrior from Rochester, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2007

Strengths:    Customer Support, Customer Support, Customer Support, Customer Support, Customer Support, Customer Support, Customer Support,

Weaknesses:    No support on the website for HOW to lube the pump, but no matter, a phone call will get new parts.

Bottom Line:
Buy anything of theirs you can get your hands on. Use the thing. If it works, keep it for life. If it doesn't work, take it back the the store. Looks like the new TP-1 is crap, I don't know.

If you decide to keep it, if anything breaks, (or even lost), tell Blackburn you need help, and 3 days later, you have new parts with no money spent.

I used a TP-1 since 1995 to get 150 PSI in my racing bike. I never lubed the seals, and it failed. I called and they sent me a rebuild kit, FREE.

I used a MP-2 since 1993, and told them I need the parts on the head. I didn't say I lost them, but no matter, no questions asked. The parts don't exist any longer, so a new Mammoth pump arrived.

Favorite Trail:   There are trails? I like drafting... cars.

Purchased At:   Erik's in Richfield, MN

Similar Products Used:   Craftsman Compressor (Doesn't fit under my bike seat)
Cheap crappy pumps.

Bike Setup:   Klein Quantum II Criterium Racer - Specialized Toupe seat, Ultegra hubs/Brakes, Campy rims, Dura-Ace gears/Deraileurs, and don't forget the Nightsun!!! 40W of

Submitted by Pooty Tang from Boulder CO

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2007

Strengths:    Satisfying to smash.

Weaknesses:    Rips presta valves off, then stops working.

Bottom Line:
Worst Pump Ever. Pump destroyed Presta valves before it stopped working entirely. Blackburn sent me a new one free of charge. The new one never worked, not once. I smashed it on the concrete floor of my garage, which was pretty cool.

Submitted by Aaron from Ballston Spa, NY USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2007

Weaknesses:    This this is worthless, had the most difficult time getting it to air tires and then the front valve under the gauge blew out. Very Disappointing.

Bottom Line:
Dont Buy

Purchased At:   Sports Authority

Submitted by Gail Rolfe a Weekend Warrior from San Marino, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2006

Strengths:    This product was sold to us to replace an earlier version of the TP1. The earlier version included a removable part which allowed the pump to be used on either type of tire valve. This one has it built in which in theory is more convenient as we lost the little part on the old one (which recently Blackburn replaced for us free of charge).

Weaknesses:    This pump does not hold its seal. When it gets up to about 30-40 pbi, it blows and you have to start over. In addition, it is so tight on the valve that you are afraid you're going to ruin the tire in pulling it off. And many times when it does come off, it comes off with such force that your hand is scraped on the spokes.

Bottom Line:
We called Blackburn and they have agreed to replace the pump free of charge and, since postage was more than the cost of replacement, they did so without requiring us to mail the pump in. Both reps I spoke to claimed they haven't heard of this problem before but given that the pump is at the lower end of the spectrum I wonder if many customers just don't bother to call the company. We'll see how the replacement works.

Favorite Trail:   New Zealand