Blackburn Shorty CF Pump

The pocket-sized Shorty CF packs more punch than many pumps twice its size. Oversized handle with rubber grip zones and end ridges for an excellent feel and grip. Capable of up to 90psi.

Submitted by Bob

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2013

Strengths:    Size, Weight, rugged.
Hopefully as reliable as my Shorty thats still going strong since 1997. Got the same tube n internals so should be!
Fits Both Schrader & Presta via easy to use reversible thinga'mebob.

Weaknesses:    Not carbon fibre, its Aluminium painted to look like Carbon Fibre.
Can be hard work to pump above 80Psi.
Hard to find. Bit pricey if you can find one. Although i found one NOS for £21, bargain!

Bottom Line:
Having compared this to my Much abused 1997 Blackburn Shorty Comp, thats outlasted 5 bikes (reviewed elsewhere on this site) its exactly the same except for cosmetics. Thats why i bought it.
My 1997 comp has not failed me n i thought with my growing stable of bikes, i'd treat myself to another one its been that reliable.
Can be hard work to pump above 80Psi like my old one, but who rides Rock hard tyres offroad. Most of my Mountainbike tyres say 65Psi Max anyway, & even my Panaracer Crosstowns on my commuter have a Max of 75Psi which makes them hard as nails!

Avid Shorty 6 brakes interfering with CF fork

I'm trying to mount my old Avid Shorty 6 brakes on a new Carver carbon fiber fork on my cross bike. As you can see from the photos, the brake pads extend too far rearward and don't open enough to provide any real travel. It seems I have two options: 1) get shorts brake pads and holders (don't know ... Read More »