Blackburn Mountain Stick Mini Pump Pump

3.15/5 (41 Reviews)

Blackburn Mountain Stick Mini Pump

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Piedmont, NC USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2006

Strengths:    Durable, good seal, nice handle

Weaknesses:    Seal may be too good; not the easiest to remove from my UST tires

Bottom Line:
I like the durability and size; mounts well to my hydration pack. No problem inflating tubeless tires. Nice handle provides a positive grip. Requires some effort getting off, so must take it a little easy.

Favorite Trail:   Uhwarrie Mtn area

Similar Products Used:   zefal mini double shot

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher sugar w/Mavic wheels and Continental Explorer tubeless tires

Submitted by caroline higgins a Weekend Warrior from u.k.

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2003

Strengths:    Found this product small and useless could not inflate my tyres to 80 psi at all

Weaknesses:    difficult to get required inflation

Bottom Line:
don't look at anything else until you have tried the PNEUFORCE pump.

Favorite Trail:   pennines

Purchased At:   u.k.

Similar Products Used:   I have taken the advice of this site and bought a PNEUFORCE SUPERPUMP. It is BRILLIANT. I have no trouble inflating my tyres using the long hose it works like a track pump. I have got the mini pump for when i am on road but also bought one of the frame fit sizes with which I can get over 100 psi with no trouble. Absolutely brilliant, lovely helpful people when I phoned and it is BRITISH made. Get one today you will not regret it. Cheap at about $28 Contact them via wemail ruthmike @tiscali.co.uk

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior from Winchester, UK

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2001

Strengths:    Light and compact

Weaknesses:    doesn't fit well on valve

Bottom Line:
This pump inflated ok but I found it very fiddly to get properly sealed onto the tyre valve. Pumping up an inner tube when not on the rim (to find a puncture for example) was fine, but inflating the tyre was a real problem. You'd pump away for many strokes then realise no air was in the tube, and you have to shift the angle of the pump and try again till at some arbitrary stage it would seal ok and start to inflate. I've had two other pumps of this size about the same price, neither of which had this problem at all.

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Oakland

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2000

Strengths:    Small, lightweight

Weaknesses:    Pushes low volume of air. Lack of corrosion resistence.

Bottom Line:
This little f*cker left me stranded 3 miles from home last night as the light was failing and the skeeters were swarming. The internal valving somehow corroded shut--the pump handle moved fine, and was compressing air, but no air could escape the valve on top. If you have one, make sure you use it at least once a month, or else!

Never again blackburn.

Favorite Trail:   Sequoa Bayview

Purchased At:   Start-to-Finish, SF, CA

Submitted by Evan from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2000

Strengths:    small
locks on to valve securely
strong

Weaknesses:    bracket velcro snapped
double action worn out

Bottom Line:
A worthy pump. If you do mount the pump on the bike like I did, it will get filled with crud, so you need to maintain it occasionally, or at least relube it. I didn't until the double action had expired - this may be rectified if I renew the O-rings. Without the dble action it takes ages to pump the tires. But it's my only pump and I've used it at least twice a week to swap mtb tires for road tires and back again, for about a year. It would be in much better condition and pump alot faster, if I had kept it my bag instead of exposing it to mud/dust for several months with that stupid mounting bracket that came with it.
The AS-1 cost a few biccies (IMHO) but you can renew all the wearable parts, so I give it

Favorite Trail:   The Slide

Similar Products Used:   cycle design minipump

Bike Setup:   CrMo DB Topanga, Z3 Bombers, Tires: Specialized DirtControl / Panaracer DH Magic f/r, or 2 1.5 slicks, all with schraders

Submitted by Russ a Cross-Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1999

Strengths:
Great customer service

Weaknesses:
slow so buy the shorty its supposed to work faster.

Bottom Line:
Handle fell off so I called Bell (1-800-456-2800) and they sent me a new one in about 3 days (FREE). You can't beat that kind of support!!! How could I ever buy a diff. brand after that type of service.

1 Year

Submitted by daniel steinberg a Weekend Warrior from san francisco ca

Date Reviewed: November 16, 1999

Strengths:
durable as hell

Weaknesses:
slow, but hey, its a mini pump

Bottom Line:
dont buy any other brand, these things are industrial strength

more than 3 years

Submitted by Liquid Man a Weekend Warrior from Aberdeen, MD

Date Reviewed: October 31, 1999

Strengths:
Lightweight
It works!

Weaknesses:
S-L-O-W

Bottom Line:
Good little pump for the money. The only drawback as far as I am concerned is the short stroke which in turn makes it slow to re-inflate. You better have eaten you Wheaties if you plan on fully inflating a new tube on the trail!

6 months

Air compressor, foot pump

Mongoose D-60R (Work in progress...)

Submitted by Tom Doyle a Weekend Warrior from South San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 1999

Strengths:
Compact size, easy to mount, reliable mount, lightweight

Weaknesses:
Rubber gasket slips out of place way to often. Takes a long time to pump a tire up to 45-50 psi. Does not always lock securely to valve stem.

Bottom Line:
This pump can be frustrating to use in the field. After only a couple of uses, the rubber gasket slipped off of the piston. I had to disassemble the pump to fix it. While the pump is designed to be fully serviceable, I just don't think that I should have even had that type of problem after only 2 uses. If you plan on buying it, don't make it the only bike pump you own.

Montara Mtn/Old San Pedro Mtn Road

2 Years

Blackburn MMP-1 Mammoth

1997 Novara Alight, Rock Shox Jett XC, Maxxis Gluteis 26 X 1.95 tires w/schrader valves.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Hunt. Bch, CA

Date Reviewed: September 17, 1999

Strengths:
Small, light, well made, good connector

Weaknesses:
Not many

Bottom Line:
This is a really good (almost great) pump! The design and quality are nice and it reaches fairly high pressures ( 90lbs), but with low volume. The double action is kind of worthless though ( out stroke doesn't provide much addtional air, and is more trouble than it is worth). Over all, you won't go wrong purchasing it just remember low volume pumps require lots of strokes.

3 months

Every pump imaginable

MTB/Road

Submitted by Michael a Cross-Country Rider from N.Y.

Date Reviewed: July 31, 1999

Strengths:
Dpuble pump action, light weight, sturdy holder, never falls out

Weaknesses:
I dont think there are

Bottom Line:
This unit is very light weight, and very strong. With its double pump action it inflates the tire in no time. I have had it for about 1 year and it hasnt failed me yet. I think that this is one of the best pumps out.

Gram Hill

1 Year

co2, and many others

1999 marin rift zone, manitou sx-r front shock, fox vanilla rear shock, DiaTech Disk brakes.

Submitted by Michel O. a Cross-Country Rider from Montreal, Quebec

Date Reviewed: May 20, 1999

Strengths:
Reliable, light, well made, good power for a small pump

Weaknesses:
Plastic Bracket holding the pump

Bottom Line:
I bike all winter and I have been using the same pump for over two years now. It still works well. However, I take care of it regularly.

Difficult terrain

2 Years

Upgraded klein Pulse-manitour sxr, Giant Boulder 500-rigid fork

Submitted by Red a Cross-Country Rider from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: April 6, 1999

Strengths:
Small, durable

Weaknesses:
pump,pump,pump,pump,breathe,pump,pump,pump,pump,breathe,pump,pump,pump,pump,breathe

Bottom Line:
I commute and I'm big. (300 lbs) What does that mean? It means I get a lot of flats and need a lot of pressure. After 3 yrs, I haven't had to rebuild it, and it hasn't broken. I am looking at Blackburn's little stubby guy as a replacement. For quality, 5 screamin' pepperinos. For speed, 3.

more than 3 years

Kmart floor pumps, CO2

Schwinn rigid frame MTB.

Submitted by David a Cross-Country Rider from Carson City

Date Reviewed: March 26, 1999

Strengths:
Nice small design

Weaknesses:
Pump head failed first time in use. Poor quality control on plastic castings. This is after dealer claimed were never have trouble with this pump Right! Will find both a new dealer and a new pump

Bottom Line:
Poor quaility control. Poor fit and finish. Unreasonably early failure.

less than 1 month

Submitted by Adam a cross-country rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: February 18, 1999

Bottom Line:

Ive owned this pump now for about 18 months now and have only used it in the last 3 months or so when it seems every time I ride lately I get a flat. The bracket that holds it to the frame has been really good and secure, the weight is light enough and for the first five or six flats I had no problem. The last time I tried to use it though the O ring on the top of the piston tore in half, luckily I had some electricians tape with me and wrapped it around the piston a few times to get a reasonable seal. This allowed me to get about 15 PSI in the tyre and limp home. I bought a new kit for the pump but the new O ring didnt seal either, so I guess its time for a new pump.