Blackburn Frame Pump CF Pump

4.07/5 (14 Reviews)

Lightweight carbon fiber body, spring-loaded head and T-handle allow easy inflation to 160 psi.

Submitted by Paul Forgang a Weekend Warrior from Houston Texas USA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2011

Strengths:
Garbage

Weaknesses:    Overly complicated; you need someone to show you how to use it. When I finally figured it out, it broke; it feel apart when I used it.

Bottom Line:
Avoid this poorly constructed, overly complicated piece of garbage.

Purchased At:   Sun and Ski Shop

Similar Products Used:   Anything that I have used before is self explanitory simple and so much better

Submitted by Joe Nation a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap, simple, lifetime guarantee, all spares available.

Weaknesses:    My bike is too small for a large, but just about small enough for a medium. Maybe make five sizes instead of four for better compatability (although I've never found a bike they wouldn't fit). A flexible hose would give it five chillis.

Bottom Line:
Best frame-fit pump money can buy. Carbon one is fancy-lookin' but doesn't work any better.

Submitted by pat charles a Weekend Warrior from Washington, DC, USA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2009

Strengths:    Conveniently attaches

Weaknesses:    Doesn't work! Can't screw it onto the tire valve

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone. I bought it for a 14 year old girl, and decided to test it priot to giving it to her. A very good thing that I tested it - after trying it on both my bikes, couldn't attach it to the air valve on the tire. Am returning it to Sports Authority

Favorite Trail:   City Bike Trails

Purchased At:   Sports Authority

Submitted by dinosaur a Weekend Warrior from Auburn Ca

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2006

Strengths:    Gets the air in. Dependable.

Weaknesses:    Cost (I got mine on sale for $33)

Bottom Line:
Nice looking, matches the other c.f. components I have on my bike. Easy to use, gets the air in. No need to pack c02, you will always have a source for air.

NOTE: The new model Blackburn frame pumps are sized differently that the old one's. I carry a large large and its fits under my top tube perfectly. No need for a velcro strap. I use a small ziploc tie as a pump peg secured to my ht. Make sure you buy the right size.

Although the C.F. model is lighter and looks nice than the alumumin model, it really adds no advantage, accept zoot factor (which is why I like it).

The nice thing about Blackburn frame pumps is they will inflate your tire to the desired psi and they are dependable. You can order rebuild kits from Blackburn. They sent me one for free.

I might be old school, but I gave up on co2. It will freeze A full length frame pump is the way to go.

You should practice in your garage. I apply the valve in the 12 o'clock position and inflate without touching the tire/wheel. This way the wheel/tire will swing back and forth and will not put stress on the valve stem. I snapped valve stems left and right before I discovered this method.

Purchased At:   bikesmart

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn Airstick CF, Blackburn Al frame pump, Torelli Aria

Bike Setup:   Colnago Master

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Cambridge, MA

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2006

Strengths:    Reliability, ease of use, nifty fit on bike

Weaknesses:    Need pump peg, can rattle

Bottom Line:
I've used this pump on my road bike for 10 years with absolutely no problems. Compared to the smaller pumps that attach to water bottle cages, frame pumps have more volume and so pump easier. I highly recommend this model if you happen to have a pump peg--the pump has worked better and lasted longer than any of the on-board pumps I have used.

The only downside is that if you are absent-minded and do not attach the pump properly, it can rattle and even fall out. That has happened to me at least a half-dozen times (I'm absent minded), often at 20 mph+, but so far without calamity, and remarkably without damaging the pump.

Purchased At:   30.00

Similar Products Used:   Many, many frame pumps

Bike Setup:   I use it on my road touring bike, a Lemond Tourmalet. I doubt it would work well on a mountain bike.

Submitted by John a Racer from Albuquerque NM

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2005

Strengths:    Durable. Reliable. Puts air in tire.

Weaknesses:    Plastic at end can crack if a pump peg is used. Doesn't fit OCLV frames - but then nothing does.

Bottom Line:
I've used this pump for six years and it will probably last forever. Puts air in the tire as well as the Zefal HP-X, but doesn't mar the frame as much. You need to use a TwoFish MegaBlock if you have a swoopy-tubed carbon fiber bike like an OCLV, but the other option is to carry a mini-pump, and all mini pumps suck for road bikes.

Fits perfectly under the Scott's top tube without a strap.

Similar Products Used:   Zefal HP-X
Silca plastic piece o' crap with Campy head.

Bike Setup:   Trek 5200, Scott CR1 Team Issue

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2005

Strengths:    Light, smooth action, doesn't seem to waste much air

Weaknesses:    Needs straps to hold onto my road bike frame. I used velcro.

Bottom Line:
Terrific pump. Gets up to high pressures above 100 with fewer pumps than other aluminum barrel models.
Gave only 4 chilis to Value because of high cost.

Favorite Trail:   Hole-in-the-Ground

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn Mammoth aluminum (best for MTB), Zefal aluminum frame pump

Bike Setup:   Specialized Allez 58 cm.

Submitted by Jonathan Hughes a Racer from jenner

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2005

Strengths:    Beautiful black and silver carbon fiber frame pump. In high pressure mode, be sure you take an air guage with you because you may inadvertently pur too much pressure in your tires! I easily got it up to 145 psi when the tires only needed 120. (You have to have it in the "lock" mode for high pressure, where the red rod doesn't go all the way into the barrel.)

Weaknesses:    None, except it might rattle a little on rough roads.

Bottom Line:
Great pump, expensive, but it's worth it.

Favorite Trail:   neighborhood of sonoma county

Purchased At:   norcal bike shop in santa rosa

Similar Products Used:   Crank Bros Road Morph

Bike Setup:   Trek 5900, Campy Record 10 Triple, Renolds Stgratus DV Carbon Clinchers, Selle Italia SLR 135 gm saddle

Submitted by G Mckshred a Cross Country Rider from scottsdale

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2004

Strengths:    matches road bikes carbon frame, seems to work well so far (only had it for a couple months). Frame pump means no pump on my back.

Weaknesses:    got the medium for a 57cm road bike and whie it fits under the top tube, I have to use the velcro to keep it in place - and forget about using your seattube water bottle - as it will hit the pump each time to try to insert or remove the bottle from the cage.

Bottom Line:
it matches the bike so well it looks like its part of the frame.

I thought it would fit more securely under the top tube, and it is ok with the velcro strap.
Without the strap, it's only a matter of time before you launch yourself when it falls into your wheels.

Favorite Trail:   mazerak

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   crank brothers mini pumps, blackburn mini pumps, instaflate, zefal mini pump

Bike Setup:   '05 lemond versailles

Submitted by Ed a Racer from Auburn Ca

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2004

Strengths:    Best frame pump out there. Well made, easy to use, can be rebuilt. Dependable. Lightweight.

Weaknesses:    You need a bike with a pump peg, or you can use a zip lock tie mounted on your head tube. Looks kinda funky, but you can buy a small model and use your non-driveside seat stay. Only weakness is you need muscle to get air into your tire.
I will rattle if mounted on your tt, unless you cinch up with a velcro strap. You also have to pull it off each time you clean up your bike after a ride, but this takes seconds.

Bottom Line:
If you don't care about looks and just want a dependable way to get air into your tire this is the best frame pump out there. I don't carry this pump all the time. I usually use c02. But if I'm going for a long ride in the middle of nowhere and can't get out on my cell phone, this is the pump I will carry. In a perfect world there are no flat tires, A frame pump might take longer, but you always have a dependable source of air as long as you have two arms.

Purchased At:   Cambria Bicycle Emporium

Similar Products Used:   Avenir mini pump. Zefal HPX frame pump (years ago).

Bike Setup:   Colnago Master X-Light

Submitted by Smasher from Somerville

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2003

Strengths:    Tough, works well, rebuildable, stays securely on the bike.

Bottom Line:
I have two of these: one purchased a couple of years ago (which works very well), and the other found yesterday on the side of the road under a freeway overpass. It had been run over by a car, and the main tube was ovalized. I brought it home and squished the tube round again in a bench vise. It's pretty scuffed up, but it works fine.

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn Mammoth

Submitted by Bungholio a Cross Country Rider from CO

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Strengths:    Good solid pump. Long chamber makes inflation quick and effortless. Stays mounted well (provided your bike has a pump peg). Lifetime warranty

Weaknesses:    The thumblock can be hard to engage on the tube valve. The plastic/rubber pump peg insert in the pump handle just crumbled away for some reason (after about 2 years). I've been lucky in that I've rarely had to inflate a tire with it, and it has been taken care of, stored indoors when not in use, etc. so I was surprised when it fell apart. I sent an e-mail to Blackburn (now Bell Sports), who in turn sent me the wrong replacement handle. After I contacted them again, they sent the correct one, with apologies. Took about 2.5 weeks and no charge.

Bottom Line:
Good pump, good value, lifetime warranty is honored.

Favorite Trail:   McKenzie River Trail

Purchased At:   Cyclotopia in Corvallis, OR

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn Kamikaze (KMP-1)

Submitted by Dan of the Desert a Weekend Warrior from Ther Mojave Desert, CA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2002

Strengths:    Pumps to high pressure with relatively few strokes and moderate effort. Blackburn has excellent customer service.

Weaknesses:    Pump head is plastic and can be damaged in a fall.

Bottom Line:
The pump does everything that you would expect. I (unlike the previous reviewer) was able to knock the pump loose from the pump peg on the frame (MY FAULT - NOT THE PUMP'S) at about 25 mph. When I recovered my FP1, I found that I had cracked the plastic head. I called Blackburn and they immediatly sent me a new pump head - free of charge! The pump is durable and will survive the rigors of normal use. I would buy another in a heartbeat!

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist