Blackburn Airstik Pump

2.5/5 (32 Reviews)

The Blackburn long neck makes fillingTires easy with its flexible hose attachingThe headToThe barrel. Flexible hose attachment for convenient pumping Detachable Presta/Schrader head withThumb lock Moves 15% more airThan conventional minipumps High volume and high pressure modes for fast inflation with less effort Mode switch in handle Aluminum barrel and shaft approximate weight 112 grams Mount included Max pressure 160 psi / 11 bar

Submitted by Thorpy a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2010

Strengths:    Looks good

Weaknesses:    Over engineered, unreliable piece of crap.

Bottom Line:
I wished I'd read this forum before buying this pump. I used it half a dozen times on the trail - no probs. Then the piston started jambing half way down the stroke, eventually freed after pumping furiously for a couple of minutes each time I used it.
Each time I used it, the pump jambed more and more and was progressively less able to achieve a decent pressure in the tyre; it is now unable to obtain any pressure on either the up or down stroke - even after cleaning and lubing all moving parts. Considering the small amount of use this pump has had, I would have expected it to have lasted much longer than it has. This pump is an expensive, unreliable piece of crap!... Do not buy one

Favorite Trail:   Dalby Red Route

Purchased At:   Some website

Similar Products Used:   Zefal

Bike Setup:   specialized epic comp

Submitted by Tommi a Weekend Warrior from Tampere, Finland

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2010

Strengths:    Strong design, tilting handle, possible to get spare parts

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This is very good small pump, handle is good and both presta and schrader ends work well. Nothing to complain about. I just wonder some of the previous comments, did they really have the same product..?

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   Crank Brothers mini pump

Bike Setup:   All kinds, road, trekking, MTB hardtail, city..

Submitted by yo.man a Racer from ottawa

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2009

Strengths:    very reliable, simple to use, tough, and servicable with some simple 'o'rings you can get at the hardware store.

Weaknesses:    takes forever to pump up to 70 psi, but hey its an "EMERGENCY" pump. i dont think this is designed to be your main pump kids

Bottom Line:
Damn good pump. used it for about 8yrs and when i had a small prob they replaced it no questions asked. dont listen to these 8 year old meatheads who cant even operate a door handle. they spend too much time driving there little sisters tricycle down the the slope while drinking their milk bottles!

Favorite Trail:   every trail

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   zefal

Bike Setup:   whatever

Submitted by jtvansnat a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2009

Strengths:    It can pump air... not with much resisting pressure though.

Weaknesses:    There are a lot. I could get it onto my valve, but it was a struggle getting it off. It actually just ripped off the valve when I tried to pump up my back tire just a minute ago.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy it. It's obvious the pump has problems. From using it so little it is already showing wear and tear and the lock mechanism doesn't really work.

Similar Products Used:   I had a pump that I paid $40 before and it worked great. I lost it however and I thought a pump costing $25 should be good.

Bike Setup:   I only own a bike so I have to have a pump at all times. This is not the one you want.

Submitted by Arissona a Downhiller from New York, NY

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2009

Strengths:    Small and useful.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
My God it amazes me how technically challenged America has become. Our forefathers would roll in their graves to know that a full grown adult couldn't figure out the simple mechanics of a bicycle pump! Christ I found the thing in the street and with common sense, and some technical intuition I figured it out in a matter of minutes. Let me see....little rubber piece has a big opening and a small opening. Hmmm...two types of valves out there that I know of so must be able to flip this over some how...tap, tap tap....wah la, plastic piece popped out, reversed and it worked fine. Wow is it our dependence on tv that has wiped out our ability to think? You people blame the product and low ball it for your own inadequacies so I give you idiots .5 stars.

Favorite Trail:   5th Av during rush hour

Purchased At:   Found it

Submitted by Stephen a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2009

Strengths:    Compact and easy to attach to bike.

Weaknesses:    Does not reach the advertised tyre pressure of 160 psi.
Can barely reach 60psi. Volume of pump too low, takes a long time to inflate tyre.

Bottom Line:
This pump is compact but does not inflate tyre pressure above 60 psi. Even with light oil in seals as suggested in manual could not reach pressure above 60 psi. Initial purchase pump did not have all O rings for double action. Contacted Blackburn website for exploded drawing of pump. They were very helpful with information. Found O ring was missing. Fitted new O ring but still found pump performance inferior. Would not recommend pump. Suggest a pump with large compression ratio (longer cylinder) to achieve expected performance (above 80psi).

Purchased At:   Local bike shop in M

Similar Products Used:   Used a foot pump to inflate tyres and use hand pump as emergency when riding.

Bike Setup:   Giant Perigree Hybrid with 700x28C tyres. Use foot pump at home for pressure top and blackburn hand pump on paths for emergency repair of flats.

Submitted by Howardunow a Weekend Warrior from Lewiston, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2009

Strengths:    At the time of purchase, smallest, cutest, most potent little pump I'd ever seen ! "hard work for a couple of minutes" never hurt anyone, and heaps better result than the plastic (one way) pump my dad bought for my dragster in 1975 !!
Has reversable insert for Schraeder or Presta valve.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found it yet.

Bottom Line:
Bought this with my first mountain bike in 1996. This is my only pump and so gets used at least every month. I now have a wife, kids, neighbour's kids and it services 7 bikes semi regularly. Not used it for more than about 60 PSI but I have a new road bike......After reading the reviews, and providing one I hope it still works !?

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Malbutts, Smithfield

Bike Setup:   MTB

Submitted by gazzle a Racer from uk

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2009

Strengths:    Looks ok

Weaknesses:    Doesnt do what it says on the tin!

Bottom Line:
carried it round on the bike for a year in case of emergencies, got a flat...guess what, the pump was completely useless!! Jammed up leaving me to call for my wife to pick me up. No instructions on how to take apart and loob so when i got it home and tried , loads of little bits shot out all over the floor. I dont know why they dont issue a diagram when purchased?

Bike Setup:   Claud Butler milano

Submitted by Randy Schmuck a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2008

Strengths:    It has none. Might be more useful if it converted into a kick stand.

Weaknesses:    Um the fact that it is useless.

Bottom Line:
Here is the deal, I am just a regular dude who rides on the West Orange Trail about once a month with some friends. I consider myself to be fairly intelligent. So when I bought my new bike three years ago, I said it might be a good idea to have an little air pump to get me out of trouble if I ever had a flat. So Orange Cycle sold me this Airstik. I bought it, strapped it to the frame of my bike and off I went. I admit that I did not ask too many questions, after all it's a bicycle pump how complicated could it be? Well let me tell you, I finally needed it, and it was useless. I could not figure the gosh darn thing out! Yes it pumps great both ways and the handle is comfortable and it looks cool, but heck I could not figure out how to attach the gosh darn thing to the tire hole thingy. (Yes I said Tire hole thingy...you got a problem with that?)
So if your are one of those hard core bikers then go ahead and buy it. But if you are just a regular person then RUN RUN AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT! (You'll have to run cause your tires will be flat)

Favorite Trail:   West Orange Trail

Purchased At:   Orange Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Old school floor pump. I am on my way to Target to buy one right after I post this.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Crossroads....You know the one that bike snobs often refer to as "the comfort bike"

Submitted by Doug from St. Charles, IL

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2007

Strengths:    Pumps air, no sticking of piston like other reviews stated

Weaknesses:    Pump handle not pinned on to piston, only screwed on. Eventually worked itself loose and fell off on a ride rendering it virtually useless.

Bottom Line:
Blackburn replaced it for free under there lifetime guarantee with just a couple of e-mail communications explaining the problem. Blackburn customer service was excellent. It appears that the handle on the new one is pinned on to the piston now.

Favorite Trail:   no trails just roads

Purchased At:   20.00

Similar Products Used:   Zefal

Bike Setup:   Road

Submitted by dirtdigler2 a Downhiller from sydney australia

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2007

Strengths:    salesman said it was really good

Weaknesses:    salesman lied

Bottom Line:
sat in my backpak for ages used it maybe twice , when i really needed it guess what it sh@t itself piston sticks dosn't pump air a complete waist of money

Favorite Trail:   anything

Purchased At:    a bike shop

Bike Setup:   cannondale gemini

Submitted by S Barkdull a Cross Country Rider from Orlando, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2006

Strengths:    Looks good, it's small.

Weaknesses:    Pumps are supposed to move air. This one utterly fails after 6-9 months of non-use, just from being strapped to a bike frame.

Bottom Line:
Total and utter piece of crap. When I bought it new, it actually moved air. Six months later when I was 10 miles out and got a flat, it completely failed. I had to phone home for a pick up.
I returned it to Orange Cycle and they gave me a new one. The new one has worked fine for the first 9 months. Now, it fails to move air on the up-stroke. It is going back for a cash return.
I will never buy another non-floor Blackburn pump again. (I've had a floor pump by Blackburn for several years and it still works fine).

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Purchased At:   Orange Cycle

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR Stumpjumper.

Submitted by Juli a Weekend Warrior from Palmer, AK USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2006

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    Big disappointment. Been carrying it on my bike for a year just for emergencies - the first time I really needed it, it broke. Didn't pump enough air to replace what it was allowing to leak out. Had to hoof it until someone came along with a real pump.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy it.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Mountain Morph

Bike Setup:   Specialized Sequoia

Submitted by John Boy a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2006

Strengths:    None does not work

Weaknesses:    Seized on first use.

Bottom Line:
Dismal failure of a product. Poorly lubricated to begin with and seized on trail on first use. when pulled apart to lube valving fell apart. Valving configuration is not straight forward and does not come with a service manual nor is one available on the web very poor effort Blackburn.

Similar Products Used:   Used the similar older model for several years bought a new one when older model started leaking and had trouble getting over 30psi

Bike Setup:   customised Rocky Mountain etsx

Submitted by Chris McKensingtonson a Cross Country Rider from Bettendorf, IA

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2005

Strengths:    Good pump for the price. I think the guys that gave the previous reviews mustve crashed in to too many trees. LOL

Weaknesses:    As far as the dual action - It seems on the "reverse action" (for lack of a better term) doesnt have enough pressure to put air in the tire as the tire becomes increasingly firm.

Bottom Line:
Again dont know what the previous reviews were all about - they must've read the instruction manual (it doesnt come with one - most of us dont need it its just a freakin pump). Alright its not top of the line but it's good for a couple years use. BUT the thing is for a pump of this price - it takes about a hundered pumps to inflate a tire (of 26" anyway) from totally flat to almost rock hard - maybe even more than a hundered. But so far works absolutley fine. Unlike the previous "reviewers" I DID get it to work more than once or twice - I guess you need opposable thumbs. hahaha

Favorite Trail:   everything