Blackburn AirStik SL Pump

2.4/5 (5 Reviews)

What ever happened to the pump peg? Whenever we look at mini-pumps, and the Blackburn AirStik SL is no different, we find ourselves longing for a way to mount a full-size frame pump under the top tube of our bike. They were so easy. Even the plastic Silca pumps were better than most of the...

Submitted by Jb a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2013

Strengths:    Weight
Size
Looks

Weaknesses:    Performance
Durability

Bottom Line:
When my Topeak went missing after years of loyal service I figured I'd try something different. Having previously owned a very reliable Blackburn Mammoth I thought I'd give this pump a go. In short it got me home once after a lot of pumping and then completely failed on 2nd use which meant a long walk home. I'd prefer to carry a small pump and accept that some extra work will be required when using it but at the end of the day the pump has to work when required.
If you want a pump that looks good - go ahead.
If you want a pump that actually works then best look elsewhere.

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn Mammoth
Topeak Master Blaster

Submitted by PeterO

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2013

Strengths:    light, small, price

Weaknesses:    does not work.

Bottom Line:
Have been riding with this pump for 2 years in case I ran out of CO2, thinking I had an insurance plan on board. On my third flat, the time had come. The little pump got me to about 15 psi and that was it. I walked home despite having all the contingencies covered. Just purchased a Lezyne... I'll spend the extra $ to get something that will actually work this time.

Submitted by Jeff Klaser

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2012

Strengths:    Size and weight

Weaknesses:    Small volume of air per stroke,hard to get half of pressure stated as maximum (160 PSI)

Bottom Line:
160 PSI ? Are you kidding ? This pump is for emergency only,good to put in back pockets of jersey....Its hard to get even 80/90 PSI...As I said,good for a road flat tire emergency,not good to put values used in road ,always above 100 PSI...Unless you are strong as Hulk

Submitted by swaustex a Cross Country Rider from Austin TX

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2009

Strengths:    Well Built, dependable, light, compact, high pressure capable

Weaknesses:    Tedious, very slow

Bottom Line:
This pump is for Road Bikes. Its capable of very high pressures is extremely light and very dependable. However, mountain bike require a far higher volume of air than road bikes do and it takes a long time to pump up a 29 X 2.3 with this little guy. 5 stars for a road pump three stars for a mountain pump.

Favorite Trail:   Barton Creek Green Belt

Purchased At:   Sun and Ski

Similar Products Used:   frame pumps

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar Pro 29r and Fuji Roubaix Pro Road Bike

Submitted by HENDRIX-ENDURO a Weekend Warrior from Ticonderoga NY (USA)

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, compact, secure mount and it works!!

Weaknesses:    none as of yet

Bottom Line:
I had a flat 6 miles into my ride and was able to install new tube and use the mini pump to get me going again, I was able to get about 90 psi with no problem. Small pump requires a lot of pumps to get the job done, somewhat time consuming. Over all it did what it was supposed to.

Favorite Trail:   notch