Blackburn Air Tower 2 Pump

2.92/5 (13 Reviews)
Weight : 3.5 lbs MSRP : $28.98

No more fumbling around in the darkened hours of the morning without coffee, looking for a tiny valve adapter just so you can put some friggin' air in your friggin' tires. The uniquely universal Anyvalve of the Blackburn Air Tower 2 Floor Pump ensures you're never in need of an adapter, no matter which bike you choose to take for a spin.

Submitted by harry

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2013

Strengths:    I am not ignorant but I have a college degree, I put the nozzle over the valve and the air would flow out the top hole, then it ate the top of the screw on my valve....I don't know lingo but this pump just ruined the valve on my tire. It is horrible.

Weaknesses:    it doesn't work

Bottom Line:
I am so mad, this pump doesn't work

Submitted by Pat M

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2012

Strengths:    Pumps tires to 85# in just a few pumps.

Weaknesses:    Have to push hard and hold it tightly to get it seated on the valve.

Bottom Line:
I bought this last year and used it once or twice. I don't ride in the Alaska winter even though some do. This year I forgot what the bike shop lady mentioned, push the nozzle hard and hold while lifting the locking arm. Thanks to the reviewer that took the thing apart and saw the rocker arm. That I can understand and probably remember next year.

Submitted by N Chubb a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to use. Comes with presta valve adapter and ball adapter conveniently stored in the handle. Used the pump on both Schrader and Presta valves with no problem and no air leakage as has been mentioned by other reviewers. The gauge is quite easy to read and there is a movable marker that one can set to the required pressure. I have used it on my car as well as bikes, air mattress and footballs.

Weaknesses:    Gauge is at the bottom of the tube and one needs good eyesight to see the pressure marks. The movable marker helps here. No rubber feet under the floor plate and the air hose could be longer. The gauge markings start at 0 with the next mark at 10; it would be better to have the first 10 psi graduated so that one doesn't overfill a football. No pressure release button.

Bottom Line:
Definitely worth the price even if not discounted. I check my tires every two days and this pump was easier to use than the car electric pump. A good, general purpose pump to keep at the home garage or cottage.

Purchased At:   Bushtukah, Ottawa, C

Similar Products Used:   Topeak Masterblaster.

Bike Setup:   Tern P24H 20 inch wheels, folding bike with Marathon supreme tires. My other bike has Presta valves.

Submitted by Bryan Clark a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2012

Strengths:    Just bought one today for my Felt sport 9, it worked flawlessly with no leakage and the fit on the presta was great, not sure what all the negative reviews are about or maybe they upgraded the head design.

Bottom Line:
I would recommend this pump, it works great.

Submitted by Mitch C a Weekend Warrior from Avon, CO USA

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2010

Strengths:    I freaking hated this pump from day one. It never seemed to work on my Presta or Presta adapter (for Schrader) as it wanted to leak air from the hole/interface I wasn't using. Upon disassembly of the pump hose head, I found that there is this little rocker assembly that has rubber discs to seal one or the other hole in the pump head. This is so when you're using one type or the other, the one not in use is sealed up when this rocker is pushed to the opposite side. DING. Am I this dumb? YES I AM. The Schrader adapter for the presta valve I'm using isn't LONG enough to reach up into the head and depress the little rocker arm. Ah, but will the Presta side work? YES IT DOES if you make damn sure the head of the pump is pressed all the way down onto the stem....almost swallowing the entire Presta stem. When it's fully seated.

So, all this time I was cursing this floor pump it was my fault. Maybe it's your fault too??? (aimed at all the other negative reviewers....)

Weaknesses:    None once I figured out how to use it.

Bottom Line:
Don't be a dumbass like me.

Submitted by ColleenE a Racer from Brooklyn

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2010

Strengths:    None. It doesn't work.

Weaknesses:    Quite simply, this product does not work if you use the presta valve. It is a defect. The air simply flows through and does not attach properly. Sometimes by pure luck and magic it will work, but this is very infrequent. It was only when I read many many other reviews of this same problem that I realized it wasn't ME. Do not purchase!

Bottom Line:
Defective. Not for use with presta valves.

Purchased At:   Jack Rabbit Sports

Submitted by maria a Weekend Warrior from Hoboken, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2010

Weaknesses:    doesnt seal around valve.

Bottom Line:
Dont buy this one.

Similar Products Used:   yes, many. Blow Joe is my favourite.

Bike Setup:   Trek Road

Submitted by bigskyguy a Cross Country Rider from Big Sky, MT USA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2010

Strengths:    Made of metal and I could use it to drive in a tent stake

Weaknesses:    The seal around the valve is garbage.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy this pump it is garbage. I tried to add some air to my motorcycle tire one day and the leaking from the valve was so great that I had to cancell my ride as it lost so much air I was unable to even ride to the gas station. It works ok with presta valves but you have to really push it hard to get a good seal.

Favorite Trail:   Yellow mule

Purchased At:   owenhouse

Similar Products Used:   yes many

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz blur lt. With speed cartridge attached

Submitted by mhayes099 a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2009

Strengths:    It works. I havent had any of the seal problems. I have used this for 3 months but worked a bike repair stand at a road race and pumped up over 60 tires in one day

Bottom Line:
This pump works. Maybe the others have no idea how to use a pump. The pump comes with a card that offers a money back guarantee if you are not happy for any reason within the first 90 days.
I have used on Presta and Schrader and it works great for both. My mtn tires run with 35lbs and the road tires have 115lbs in them. It never takes more than 15 times to completely fill the road tires. This pump does what it is supposed to do.

Favorite Trail:   IC King Park

Purchased At:   Biketopia in Halls,

Similar Products Used:   Park

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer and Specialized Allez

Submitted by S Davenport a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2009

Strengths:    If you can get the stem to seal it pump up your tire.

Weaknesses:    I found if very difficult to form a seal on the presta valve, especially if the stem is short. In fact, I often had to give up and use my mini hand pump. I would not recommend this pump to anyone.

Bottom Line:
Avoid this pump

Favorite Trail:   Streets

Purchased At:   Albuquerque Bike Coo

Bike Setup:   KHS urban extreme

Submitted by Bart a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, FL

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2008

Strengths:    A good, solid, reliable pump. I use it three times a week to inflate road bike tires to 130psi.

Weaknesses:    None. Getting a good seal is a matter of pressing it onto the valve really hard before flipping the lever to seal it. If I had a choice, it would be nicer to have the guage at the top rather than at the bottom.

Bottom Line:
I have not tried any other brands, so I have nothing to compare it to. However, I would have no problem recommending this to friends because it has worked so reliably for the past 6 months. The tires need air, the pump delivers. What more could I ask for?

Favorite Trail:   Backroads

Purchased At:   Orange Cycle

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Trek 5000 road bike with 700x25 tires.

Submitted by Peter a Weekend Warrior from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2008

Strengths:    Fairly sturdy build.
Pumps relatively easily to high pressures.

Weaknesses:    Pressure limit pointer is a bit too loose, and is easy to accidentally move.
Occassionally difficult to get good seal on valves.

Bottom Line:
Overall a reasonable pump.
But because of occassional problem of getting good seal on valves, I don't often use this pump.