PowerBar Powergel Nutrition

4.28/5 (58 Reviews)

PowerGel is high-octane, super-charged fuelTo blast youThrough "the wall". Its easyTo dispense, consume, and digest, and provides 28 grams of simple and complex carbs for energy. Each pack offers 110 calories.Theyre perfect for use on long rides, endurance races, or just as a pick-me-up inThe afternoon.

Submitted by deeninetysix a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2010

Strengths:    - Yumlicious
- Cheap ($2.97 AUD)
- Great Boost

Weaknesses:    - Need 2x Caffiene Flavours Other Than Choc Or Vanilla :(

Bottom Line:
Boost kicks in fast, sweet, great to pour into small bottle then mix with water, then chugalug! It's the gooey stuff in the GEL BLASTS, but theres a lot. so imagine if one pouch of GEL BLASTS gets you 20 mins of energy, and theres 1/10 powergel pack in every pouch, then HOLY SHADOODLIN!!

Favorite Trail:   Carnes Hill Pond <3

Purchased At:   Coles

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   It's a Bike. Thats It.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2007

Strengths:    A good variety of flavours, A good boost of energy, Not overly sweet in flavour, Easy to digest, No need to chew.

Weaknesses:    Needs a few swigs of water to get the flavour out of your mouth, Energy comes on soon and not a sustained energy boost, You need to consume the whole packet as you can't re-seal it after you open it.

Bottom Line:
This gel is better then a bar when it comes to ease of digestion. Still requires a few swigs of water like that of bars to clear your mouth. A good boost of energy, but not sustained energy. The ability to re-seal the packet would be ideal. I prefer to consume a 1/2 packet at a time for a better level of sustained energy on 100-120km long rides.
Bottom Line: Wow, a gel not a bar! Fast to digest, but no re-sealable.

Purchased At:   Costco - Ajax, Ontario, Canada back in 2002

Similar Products Used:   No other gels - only bars such as Powerbar, Powerbar Harvest, Clif Bar, Herbalife Energy Bar & Met-RX.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2005

Bottom Line:
chocolate was delicious, and about 10 minutes later the boost really kicked in. nice product. I recommend carrying 4 or 5 at all times. price isn't bad if you buy in bulk. I got 4 boxes (96) for $64. That's only $.67 a piece, can't beat that.

Favorite Trail:   Chimney Rock

Submitted by Marty Birkinshaw a Cross Country Rider from Bkk, Thailand

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2005

Strengths:    It works, smooth energy rush

Weaknesses:    Limited flavours & availability here in Thailand

Bottom Line:
This really works for all activities related to bicycling whether it be mtb, road, triathlon etc. We've only got tropical fruit, vanilla and lemon/lime flavours over here in Bkk so be thankful you can get other flavours in the US. The price isn't that bad either but I'd rather buy them in the States where they're sooo much cheaper.
Am waiting for some more Accel Gels which I personally find to be the bees knees. Strawberry Kiwi flavour is to die for and they work!! Anyone travelling to Bkk sometime soon please pick up a box and I'll reimburse you upon your arrival here in Bkk.
Cheers. My email is above, Ciao.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere outside Bkk.

Purchased At:   Various bike shops around Bkk

Similar Products Used:   Accel Gel (The best so far), Gu, Clif Shot, and Squeezy-(sounds like washing up liquid)

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight Dukes, Middleburn, Thomson, monkeylites etc race set up.

Submitted by opie from Indianapolis

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2004

Strengths:    not bad flavors

Weaknesses:    my friends say the consistency but it doesnt bother me...some flavors

Bottom Line:
does what it claims , nothing more...dont count on it much for emergencies or extended rides.

Favorite Trail:   the dirt ones

Bike Setup:   two wheels, handlebars, etc...

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Strengths:    -They work.
-Very portable
-Edible in all temp. ranges

Weaknesses:    -First few times with these things is harsh. (see below)
-Needs water

Bottom Line:
Tried this for the first time with my dad on an 18mi. ride around Pittsburgh (road). I bonked after about 12-15 miles, and he had the cure.

I had the Caffinated Strawberry Banana. Aside from the fact that I hate that flavor combination in every other food product, it wasn't too awful. He described them as 'eating snot,' but it's thicker than that, and overwhelming in how cloying it can get. Ease into these things; you should be sucking the first few down without tasting them, and chase with a lot of water.

On the positive side, these things are like crystal meth. About a half-mile down the trail, the pain went away, and I just took off. The energy boost was perfect: came on smooth, not jittery or edgy. Now, problem is, you'll need another one a little farther down the road...

The consistancy and taste are something you have to get used to, but for a first-timer, it sucked. Other'n that, great product.

Favorite Trail:   Still searching...

Bike Setup:   '03 GF Tassajara

Submitted by MTBMADNESS a Cross Country Rider from CALIFORNIA

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2002

Strengths:    Great burst of energy and it taste good with lots of water. Easy to digest and can be easily carried in your cargo shorts.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness I can pin point is the price. Great source of energy but you pay the price..

Bottom Line:
Taste great!
Great energy booster!
Easy to carry!
Your stomach will thank you!

Similar Products Used:   Gu gel

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC AC1 2001

Submitted by Bjorndoggie Cruiser a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento CA, USofA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2002

Strengths:    Easily digested, does what it claims.

Weaknesses:    It is true not all flavors taste great.

Bottom Line:
I decided to try a gel and picked PowerGel because I've been eating powerbars for a long time. About an hour into the ride I had a rasberry (with caffine) and finished a 2 hour ride strong. The people I was riding with Were pretty whipped back at the truck and I packed up the bikes by myself.

Also, I tried one after the first set of a tennis match and closed out the match in a dominant fashion during a third set tie-breaker. My opponent was pretty tired at that point.

I believe that these gels work great!

Favorite Trail:   Forresthill Divide Loop

Purchased At:   American River Bicycles

Bike Setup:   2001 FSRxc Pro: XT/XTR drivetrain, XTR hubs, Mavic 517, Fox RC, SID, Thomson seat/stem, Monkeylite, Avid Mags, Sram PC99, Planet Bike computer.

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from Pittsfiels MA USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2002

Strengths:    Quick burst of energy, easy to carry, east to eat, lots of flavors. Best of all, the Vanilla goes really good with beer at the top of a big hill!

Weaknesses:    Could be a little cheaper, or at least get a deal when you buy alot.

Bottom Line:
i chow this stuff alot, gives me some extra energy and thats always cool on the trail. Tastes good as long as you have liquid, (like a nice sam adams) or water.

Favorite Trail:   all of em'

Purchased At:   all around

Similar Products Used:   gu gel, power bars

Bike Setup:   it does good wheelies

Submitted by Big mike from Bumble de lafuc

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2002

Strengths:    everyting, it gives u great boost with easyly disposabel or stow away package, the STRABERRY BANANA

Bottom Line:
aight i hate, uber wanna be moutian bikerswho cant take alittle bad taste to enhance profonmace what losers. not every power gel flavor is good, pansieys who gave it a 1 chili no nothingabout biking nutrition, it really disturbes me that people wont even try a free demo packet ofone of these.

Similar Products Used:   GU,power bars

Bike Setup:   98' FSR ground contrl extereme with all this s--t on it

Submitted by Don a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
Holy Mackerel, I picked up a couple of these in the Tangerine flavor because of the "Double Caffeine" thought that would add even more of a boost, who was I foolin'. My freind and I stopped along the trail and I gave him one and opened on for myself... between the laughter and the need to spew I'm not sure what incapacitated us more!! As my friend Jimmy put "this tastes like ass!" I'm not sure how he knows this, but believe him and AVOID THE TANGERINE!!!

Alas, I have a couple of these in Vanilla but am to gun shy to try 'em. They might be better but I may never know.

Purchased At:   REI Co-op

Submitted by Patty a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2001

Strengths:    The gold package, its pretty

Weaknesses:    This tastes like someone pinned me to the ground, forced my mouth open and took a dump in it.

Bottom Line:
This stuff was so sick I almost fell off of my bike.

Similar Products Used:   I hope for anything holy there is not another product out there like this

Submitted by Seth a Racer from Seattle

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2001

Strengths:    Vanilla tastes good. Great burst of energy. Easy to get the stuff down.

Weaknesses:    Tangerine OH MY GOD it made me Hurl....It's Yuckky. A dollar a packet seems steep to me, but I guess that's what all the stuff is going for.

Bottom Line:
Stay away from the Evil tangerine.

Favorite Trail:   Whatever

Purchased At:   Lots O places

Similar Products Used:   cliff shot and bars

Bike Setup:   Litespeed

Submitted by Mike Reid a Racer from Seattle WA

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2001

Strengths:    Just amazing power when combined with the right hydration. Contrary to what another person from WA said, I think the Tangerine rocks :) I keep a few in the cubbyhole on my dashboard to warm them to the right consistency

Weaknesses:    foil tears at corners of mouth, sometimes hard to get gel out when focusing on breathing etc

Bottom Line:
I race inline skates, doing 10k and 26 mile events. I train about 100 miles a week and 25 of those miles are some of the hilliest terrain imaginable down in pt defiance park in Tacoma WA. After being primarily a drink fan, especially Revenge and Prolyte, I decided to try gels and went for the PowerGel first.

Here's an idea what happened once last summer when training and after having had a Powergel: I was coming back on a ten mile section of our training route, amongst a pack of other skaters. I had just finished the gel and was hydrating using my camelpack. Along comes two friends on Litespeed racing bikes and i go after them accompanied by two other skaters. According to tbe bikes, we are going about 20mph. My two friends drop off but i keep with the bikes and we are talking about life,work etc. Well it wasnt long before they dropped off and i took off again, catching up to another cyclist so fast i almost ended up on her rear tire. I left her and two more bikes and basically arrived at the end of our training route about ten minutes before any of the rest of the team, who arrived with gaping mouths wondering wtf happened to me and what i had been eating. Powergel is awesome

If this sounds like bragging...whatever...its what happens when you train hard and happen upon a great maltodextrin energy source aka powergel. I wont say these results are typical, and anyone seriously into their sport knows that it takes time to get to know your body and how your metabolism works and how to feed it exactly what it needs when it needs it.

Favorite Trail:   Burke Gilman and Pt Defiance Park Loop