PowerBar Powerbar Nutrition

3.4/5 (111 Reviews)

Powerbar

Submitted by 69, Come at me bro! a Racer from 69ville

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2011

Strengths:    It's big...

Weaknesses:    Not as big as I wanted it to be

Bottom Line:
6969696969.lolololololololololololtrolltrolltrolltrolltroll

Favorite Trail:   69

Purchased At:   Shifty Asian Store

Similar Products Used:   Your gf...

Bike Setup:   what? oh...69?

Submitted by Joe from Houston Texas

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2007

Strengths:    It does what it is supposed to do.

Weaknesses:    A little on the soft and gooey side and can be a little irritating to get it out of the wrapper, especially on hot days

Bottom Line:
Don't believe all these idiots that say they ate these and almost puked or had to gag them down. Maybe they should have washed their hands before they ate is the only reason I can figure they have for saying those kind of things.

Of course these are not going to be a gourmet treat. What do you expect for a buck? They don't taste too bad for what they are, an energy bar. I just love the brilliant comments that state you have to drink with these...DUHHHHH...of course you need to take a drink when you eat one of these....just like eating any other kind of food.

I like these. My only advice is to give them a chance and don't base your decision to NOT even try them on what you read here.

Similar Products Used:   Clif bars

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2007

Strengths:    Price wise - FREE! How can you go wrong? Atleast 12 different flavours to choose from if not more. Tastes great (banana, peanut butter, chocolate) not too sweet.

Weaknesses:    A little chewy before you can swallow it, A large chunk likes to stick to your teeth, Needs a swig or two of water to clear your mouth.

Bottom Line:
A great tasting bar especially in the banana, peanut butter or chocolate flavours. A little chewy so you can't digest it as fast as Powerbar Gel and sometimes it sticks to your teeth. Needs a swig or two of water to clear your mouth.
Bottom Line: I've taken a few dozen FREE samples (apple, raspberry [I think], banana, peanut butter, chocolate & one other flavour that I can't remember during multiple annual visits to the Toronto International Bike Shows + The Annual Becel Ride for Heart/Ride The D.V.P. Then suddenly (by 2004), Powerbar stopped being a sponsor giving away free samples.
Botton Line: The best energy bar on the market and the next best item when compared to their Power Gel.

Purchased At:   FREE samples - Toronto International Bike Show + The Annual Becel Ride for Heart/Ride The D.V.P.

Similar Products Used:   Powerbar Harvest, Clif Bar, Herbalife Energy Bar, Met-RX & Powerbar Gel.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk

Submitted by 250savage a Weekend Warrior from Lenoir, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2005

Strengths:    filling, nutritious

Weaknesses:    none, it does what it's supposed to do

Bottom Line:
I laugh out loud every time I read about how bad tasting they are. Dang people, you can't spread mustard on a turd and expect it to taste like a hot dog. I think these things taste pretty good, considering what the ingredients have to be to make them work like they are supposed to. Heck, go buy a Snicker or a Kit-Kat if you want great taste. Keep this in mind, then go try a Powerbar. They are good!!!

Favorite Trail:   no preference as long as it's dirt

Purchased At:   grocery store

Strengths:    - Good taste
- Excellent source of nutrients/vitamins/minerals
- Keeps for a long time

Weaknesses:    - Can get tough & chewy at times
- Slightly gritty texture (MUST be chased with 1-2 c. of water)

Bottom Line:
PowerBar is an excellent energy bar and after following the instructions on the wrapper, I did my run/workout and felt energized throughout. The taste is just fine and I eat one a day. I took these bars on a trip to Yosemite and it was freezing. The bars kept, contrary to what other people have testified, and tasted just as great as they would have on a warm, sunny day. These bars live up to their name, they give energy and power and I will continue to use them!

Purchased At:   Costco

Similar Products Used:   - Clif Bars <-- Don't bother. They provide no energy and the taste is still comparable to that of PowerBar.
- PowerGel <-- Okay taste. Keeps me going through those last laps

Submitted by NutsandBolts a Cross Country Rider from Saginaw,Tx,USA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2005

Strengths:    They come in handy if you break something on your bike and need spme putty to hold it together until you get home. Just add water and mix it with a stick.

Weaknesses:    They taste like a board. They are hard and dont think you are going to eat one fast unless you have teeth like bugs bunny. I have no idea why this is an energy bar because everytime I eat one It makes me feel like I am going to puke it right back out.

Bottom Line:
I thought all energy bars where the same so I used these until I found something else. These things made me sick evertime I digested one, which is a workout alone. They are hard and if its hot outside its like eating a big chunk of silly putty, you chew and chew and chew. My jaw got sore and I used all my water just to try and digest the thing. I really dont know if they provided any energy or not, I was to busy concentrating on keeping from upchucking so I did not have to stop riding. I guess it is like food, everyone likes something different. I dont like these. I went to gels because they seem to work and are easier and quicker to use, they also take up less room in your pack. If you use a gel and it makes you sick at your stomach try and drinking a little more water, that seemed to work for me.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere there is dirt

Similar Products Used:   Goo, the Powerbar Gel is pretty good.

Bike Setup:   It moves when I pedal it.

Submitted by Weiwen a Racer from Ann Arbor, MI

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2004

Strengths:    nutritious, I'm sure. plus it was edible...

Weaknesses:    ...but I wouldn't call it food.

Bottom Line:
the taste was abominable. I might as well have eaten chocolate-flavored chalk.

Similar Products Used:   Clif bars (best).

Bike Setup:   I'm a roadie, sorry.

Submitted by jason a Cross Country Rider from wv

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2004

Strengths:    energy

Weaknesses:    yuck

Bottom Line:
This is a great product I use for energy on long rides. I like the vanilla flavor the best.

Submitted by Sprocketeer a Cross Country Rider from Narashino, Chiba, Japan (native of New York)

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2003

Strengths:    Their strong alright--in winter--kind of like chewing on a cycling shoe.

I don't think they taste that bad, especially considering what they are. They really get me going even after I've bonked.

Weaknesses:    In any kind of warm weather they turn to the consistency of . . . well, you know.

Chocolate is, without doubt, the worst flavor.

Bottom Line:
These things do the trick as far as energy goes, which is the only thing that keeps me eating them. They're not filling, but they are the nitris oxide of cycling nutrition. I usually eat one and then have a granola bar so it feels like I've actually eaten something.

I think I'm going to abandon them for summer sports though. The consistency and stickiness of them in the summer makes opening and eating them a nightmare. I don't want to have to be carrying towelettes.

Favorite flavors: Apple & Cinnamon, Banana

Favorite Trail:   One with dirt on it.

Purchased At:   Yoshiki Sports near Tsudanuma Station in Chiba

Similar Products Used:   Wegner squeeze jelly--not as potent as a Powerbar, but they do the trick if you're not close to exaustion and go down easy, tasting a bit like applesauce.

Bike Setup:   Oh, why bother. It's nice, it's a TREK 8000/ZR9000 frame with many component upgrades.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Oklahoma City, OK

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2002

Strengths:    Good for energy. You can hang up posters in your room with it too.

Weaknesses:    Taste is atrocious! Kind of like eating silly putty with dirt in it. I haven't eaten one in a while. I was eating one a few months back and my mouth decided that it had had enough and demanded I get something new. Also, powerbars are temperature sensetive. Too hot and they melt and stick all over the inside of the wrapper. Too cold and it's like trying to eat a brake pad.

Bottom Line:
Disgusting. Makes me want to vomit. The chocolate flavor is especially horrible. The only one I could ever barely choke down was apple cinnamon. Energy was okay, but not worth the pain and suffering of having to eat one. Go get a Clif bar. Delicious!

Favorite Trail:   All of em!

Purchased At:   Grocery store

Similar Products Used:   Clif bars! Yum.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000.

Submitted by Phil a Racer from LA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2002

Strengths:    The oatmeal raisin bar is the best I have tasted.

Weaknesses:    Melts in hot weather. Not easy to open on the fly. Offends my girlfriend.

Bottom Line:
I had been using Powerbars for a while before I bagan to realize that this is not the best bar out there. I know that they were the first, but their advertisements claiming that they havent changed the recipe might be all too correct. Bottom line, the stuff make me fart like geyser! It took me a while to figure out that if I ate 2 in a day I was headed for real trouble with the girlfriend. In addition the bars are much less convenient that others on the market. The bars melt in temperatures above 72* and freeze in anything below 50*. That makes for a heck of a problem for people using these in the outdoors. It looks like nutrition technology has passed this product, and even a huge marketing budget can convince me to use it again.