PowerBar Harvest Bar Nutrition

3.55/5 (33 Reviews)

The PowerBar Harvest Bars taste better than the dry, cardboard substance you've gagged yourself with the last three training rides. In fact, the Powerbar Harvest Bars are so good that you may become addicted to them. It's true, although you could feasibly survive off the Harvest Bars alone (and some water to wash them down), we don't recommend it. We do however recommend that you take along a bar on your next training ride. Because after all, just because you took the afternoon off to go ride, doesn't mean your taste buds didn't come along.So how do the Harvest Bars provide energy? Easy. The Harvest Bars use a balanced mix of whole grains, soy protein, and natural fiber to keep you fueled for your ride. PowerBar claims that between 70 and 75 percent of the bars' energy is derived from carbohydrates. And as you've probably heard, carbs act like the gasoline for your body's engine. Where the Harvest Bar differs from the competition is in its aforementioned formula. The whole oats, fiber, and protein take longer to digest than glucose based carbohydrates, and this means that you receive a long, steady supply of carbs released into your bloodstream. This equates to consumable energy that simply lasts longer.The PowerBar Harvest Bars couldn't be easier to use for fuel on your next ride. Simply eat a bar 30 to 60 minutes before your ride, and then eat one every hour of your activity afterwards. No powders and no lab experiment goo food; just good, wholesome food.The PowerBar Harvest Bars are offered in a container of 15 individual bars and in the flavors Double Chocolate Crisp, Oatmeal Raisin Cookie, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, and Toffee Chocolate Chip.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2007

Strengths:    Doesn't stick to your teeth, Doesn't require a lot of chewing, Tastes good.

Weaknesses:    Like eating a pressed (not loose nuts) trail mix.

Bottom Line:
I used a few of these bars along with Powerbars on 100-120km long bike rides in 2000 & 2001. They were good but not to my exact taste. They felt more like eating a pressed trail mix of nuts.
Bottom Line: Good but Powerbar is still the best in my opinion.

Purchased At:   Sport Check - Scarborough

Similar Products Used:   Powerbar, Herbalife Energy Bar, Power Gel.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk

Submitted by Zach a Weekend Warrior from Oklahoma

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2005

Strengths:    Tasty. Well at least the strawberry is. Of course it has some funk to it, but all energy bars do.

Weaknesses:    Eh, price.

Bottom Line:
The strawberry ones aren't bad tasting. A little dry without fluids to wash it down, but alright. I can't testify on the energy. I rode a couple of hours afterwards, but I could have done that without an energy bar.

These aren't miracle workers, but aren't a bad snack when you are hungry on a ride. After all isn't that the purpose?

Purchased At:   A convenient store

Submitted by Will Duke a Cross Country Rider from Orlando

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2004

Strengths:    nutritional, tastes good and more sustained energy for a longer time.

Weaknesses:    Not a jolt of energy and a little bulky

Bottom Line:
If your looking for those gels that give you a burst of energy this is not for you. I like these because it gives me energy for a longer period of time. I eat one 1/4 or 1/2 through my ride and drink plenty of water with it. I drink Desighner Whey protein after and I get no soreness or fatigue.

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Similar Products Used:   reg. power bars and cliff bars.

Bike Setup:   Trek 9.8, XT, dics, tubless.

Submitted by Donnie Anderson a Weekend Warrior from Bathurst, New Brunswick, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2004

Strengths:    Tastes Great. More like a chocolate dipped quaker gronola bar than a regular power bar.

Weaknesses:    Not to sure of the energy these things give.

Bottom Line:
I dropped in at a local pharmacy during a ride to stock up on some sort of power bars. They had their store brand with half the carbs of the power bars...so I quickly dropped those. They had all the protein bars which I'll drop since I'm not a body builder. I'll take my protein shakes when I hit the gym, not bike 50km. They had the power gel but that says it has 25mg of caffein in big letters so I didn't want to take that. Caffein makes you sick. So I got 2 peanut butter chocolate chip harvest bars and a chocolate mocha power bar.

The regular power bar was like chewing on a tootsie roll. Very difficult to do while riding. The harvest bar was awesome...like eating a milky way or wonder bar. But I didn't receive the rush of energy I expected. I wasn't sore the next day so I assume they helped some.

The only product I've previously tried are Melaleuca bars. Holay #*($ those things rock. Tons of energy, and no soreness the day after. But you have to be a member of Melaleuca to buy these, and they are expensive. It's kind of like an amway club you join and enter the pyramid scheme. But hey...I have to admit some of the Melaleuca products (not all!!!) are great.

The bottom line is...the flavor I tried was fabulous. Just like eating a chocolate bar. And no water required like the reviews state....but I have a camelbake full of gatorade anyways. But the energy/nutrition levels leave something to be desired so I'm going to keep looking. I'm going to try some cliff bars next since my grocery store started carrying them. My grocery store has a section full of energy and protein bars. I'll go try some of what they stock and look for a repeat buy to stock up on by the box.

I give it 3 flaming farts for being not overly expensive, and tasting like a Heyshey Bar. But no where near 5 flammers cause it lacks the energy value a true olympic calibre energy bar sould have, not as good as my previouse Melaleuca bars. If I'm going to pay a premium price for energy bars...they better work. Otherwise I'll just eat pop tarts and cereal bars.

Favorite Trail:   Bathurst Ski Chalet

Purchased At:   Shoppers Drug Mart

Similar Products Used:   Melaleuca Bars, Nature Valley Granola Bars, Kellogs Nutrigrain

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX 870 Stock....for now!!!

Submitted by Carlos a Weekend Warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2003

Strengths:    Very tasty. I like the strawberry one. Fills me up very quick and does not upset my stomach.

Weaknesses:    Bulky for small hydra packs.

Bottom Line:
These are some great tasting bars. Although I have not felt the jump in energy from them, I have used them when I am hungry.

Purchased At:   Mail order per box

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek Fuel 100

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, AB

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2002

Strengths:    Great taste, especially the peanut butter chocolate, way better than the Clif or Luna's.

Weaknesses:    Should be eaten warm, you'll also need some water.

Bottom Line:
I live on these things, I buy them by the case. They taste great, are filling and keep me going. They also make a great breakfast, when I'm in a hurry. What more could you need?

Purchased At:   Superstorre

Similar Products Used:   Clif, Luna, nature harvest, etc.

Bike Setup:   ATB

Submitted by Bob from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2002

Strengths:    Variety of flavors, size, weight.

Weaknesses:    Make sure you check the product expiration date. Old ones they can be pretty dry. The regular powerbars can be hard as a rock on a cold day!

Bottom Line:
I am a field counselor for a youth wilderness group and I have to eat the same food as the kids (corn meal, cream of wheat, tuna, peanut butter, macaroni, ramen, etc). They complain that they have to eat the food for 6 or 8 weeks but I have to eat it every other week of my life as long as I keep the job. If it wasn't for Powerbar I would weigh about 64 pounds by now. I can haul in 20 bars a week, different flavors, and they keep me going. Late at night, when the kids have gone to sleep, I sneak a double chocolate or a strawberry or a banana nut and it is like having a secret desert. I have always loved the chocolate powerbars, they remind of tootsie rolls. Powerbars make me increase my intake of water, a necessity when you are overseeing a bunch of delinquent kids in the deserts of Utah!

Purchased At:   Galyans

Similar Products Used:   Clif, Luna.

Submitted by mike b a Cross Country Rider from Sodom in the North

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2002

Strengths:    acceptable taste and texture

Weaknesses:    chunks of them get caught in your windpipe, causing the user to nearly choke

they are not as good as luna bars.

Bottom Line:
what am i reviewing here?

oh yeah, powerbar harvest bars. the apple one is pretty good, i guess. i only buy these things when i can't get anything else. i would definately eat these things over the standard power bar, which is like trying to chew through a petrified cow's tongue. at least you're eating something that is reasonably similar to a granola bar.

but goldangit, these things are'nt luna bars and that's why i relegate powerbar harvest bars to the "emergency food" stash in my hydration pack. the only thing i eat are either luna bars or a new product on the market called the "reward bar". all of these bars will try to asphyxiate you though, if you don't drink water with them. those little pieces of grain or whatever can get caught sideways in your throat and cause some serious problems. don't forget the water.

energy bars are a subject of the user's personal preference. what might be a tasty little scooby snack to one bonking rider might taste like rotting human flesh to another. the only way to find out if you like one bar over another is to roll the dice--pony up the cash and bite it.

one way or the other, you'll find out whether you like what you've just bitten into, i guarantee it.

Favorite Trail:   boggs

Purchased At:   the kettleman city general store

Similar Products Used:   i have been mountain biking a long time. i have tried many, many energy bars. most of them have turned out to be very, very nasty. only a few of them are not horrible.

Bike Setup:   what in the name of great mother mary methuselah does this have to do with the review of an enery bar, pray tell?

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from NY

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2002

Strengths:    Good amount of carbs to keep ya going, lots of flavors, lowfat, granola bar taste.

Weaknesses:    little protein, granola bar taste

Bottom Line:
I nosh on these thing while at work instead eating fried chicken. Strawberry and Iced Cinnamon roll are tasty. They are like pumped up granola bars and are good for snacking. Get Peak or Clif Bars for the 6 course meals!

Favorite Trail:   Grham Hills

Purchased At:   5 finger discount

Similar Products Used:   Peak, Clif, PB, PB Protien+.

Bike Setup:   White n Black Cannondale Super V 700( USA made dirt pig!), Aerospoke front, Rhyno lite back, Fox Vanilla X, P-Bone + Koski risers.

Submitted by Reno Rains a Cross Country Rider from Back woods oregon

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2001

Strengths:    You would halft to be stupid not to love this bar. Tastes like a candy bar. Keeps you going during long rides. Avalable almost everywhere.

Weaknesses:    Like all energy bars they are spendy.

Bottom Line:
best taste and nutrishion.

Favorite Trail:   the one you don't know about

Purchased At:   cosco

Similar Products Used:   Most major brands of enery bars.

Submitted by Sourav a Weekend Warrior from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2001

Strengths:    High energy

Weaknesses:    Tastes like sand.

Bottom Line:
This stuff tastes like eating a sand bar. THe chocolate expecially...it tasted exactly like a old stale rice krispie treat with sand in it and artificial chocolate. Im sure they work well, but they all work the same. and im sure something else tastes much better. Make sure you got water with this or youll choke and cough up sand.

Favorite Trail:   Quarry Park

Purchased At:   Sams Club

Bike Setup:   2000 Fisher SuperCaliber, rolf, raceface,thomson whatever

Submitted by Mitch a Racer from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2001

Strengths:    great taste,(toffy choclate chip0 great texture, and soft

Bottom Line:
almost like candy, it makes my mouth water just writing this

Purchased At:   Milhaupt's