MET-Rx Bar Nutrition

3.73/5 (41 Reviews)

MET-Rx Bar

Submitted by Jared a Cross Country Rider from Selden

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2009

Strengths:    It supplies a bit of a boost and aids sore muscles recover.

Weaknesses:    Tastes mediocre as does ANY supplement for exercise

Bottom Line:
I don't understand why no one has actually explained how the product is in terms of effectiveness. It seems that the only concern here is flavour... Not if the product actually works.
Every supplement has an odd taste about it. Just as all alcholic beverages taste horrible and we say the more bearable ones "taste good". Am I not right?
I don't mind eating any of these bars. If it tasted like mouse piss I could care less. (maybe not that far).

The point here is that it does or doesn't work.

So I've used these after some circuit training and found my recovery slightly better than using spirutein.
Can someone give me an opinion about the effectiveness of this product instead of what it tastes like?
THANKS

-Jared

Favorite Trail:   anywhere I can go

Purchased At:   7-11

Similar Products Used:   Spirutein

Bike Setup:   actually not a biker but a runner and train muscles with weights

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2007

Strengths:    Energy Bar that gives energy.

Weaknesses:    The bar is 2x as long as a Powerbar/Clif Bar and sticks out of your jerseys rear pocket. The flavour and texture is a lot like cookie dough. Only one flavour, no selection in the store.

Bottom Line:
I purchased 2 of these bars from either a Publix or Winn-Dixie grocery store in North Port, FL, USA back in 2002 to test while I had my 1996 GT Ricochet with me on summer holiday. The bar was long and stuck out of my jerseys rear pocket, the flavour was a little dull the energy I got from it was minimal.
Bottom Line: As a test is was ok/minimal but I think I'll stick with Powerbar.

Purchased At:   Publix or Winn-Dixie in North Port, FL, USA

Similar Products Used:   Powerbar, Clif Bar, Herbalife Energy Bar, Power Gel.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk

Submitted by fishman a Cross Country Rider from Champaign, IL

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2003

Strengths:    Raw Primal Protein Power

Weaknesses:    Cherry-Vanilla flavor tastes like ASS. Expensives.

Bottom Line:
Actually, I think the Cherry-Vanilla flavor tastes like toilet bowl cleaner. Seriously, If I had any other food with me I would have thrown it out. Other flavors like cookie dough, or chocolate fudge aren't too shabby considering the nutritional content of the bars.

Purchased At:   ?

Similar Products Used:   geni-soy, powerbar protein plus

Bike Setup:   Salsa, XTR, King Hubs/Headset, etc

Submitted by Joe from Roswell, GA USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2003

Strengths:    26g's of protein

Weaknesses:    52g's of carbs. But hey, you have to have something to burn.

Bottom Line:
I have tried almost everything and MET RX is the best.
It is a clean burning, easily digestable bar with a lot of protein.
The trick to enjoying it is to only eat 1/2 of it at a time and to drink water while eating it. It tastes better that way.

Purchased At:   bodybuildingoutlet.com

Similar Products Used:   EAS low carb bar, Myoplex, Powerbar, Cliff Bar..........

Bike Setup:   Ted Wojcik hardtail

Submitted by teddy mcgovern a Racer from idaho falls

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2002

Strengths:    it taste pretty good but it packs a lot of energy.

Weaknesses:    this protein bar gave me the runs and on a trail there is no bathroom which could be a problem.

Bottom Line:
this product is good for all day energy but if you have a weak stomach it can be an intestin killer weeks of the runs with no relief! It did make me loss 14lbs due to this problem thanks guys

Favorite Trail:   ming kong trail

Purchased At:   gnc

Similar Products Used:   power bar

Bike Setup:   mongoose

Submitted by Jay a Racer from New York, NY

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2001

Strengths:    I get the Roasted Peanut Bars for less than a buck a piece (89 cents), great value, and man they work ! Saves me eating a ton of food to get the same nitrogen, I love em :) Too bad I won't share how i get 'em...

Jay

Weaknesses:    Taste good or bad, depending on your personal preferences

Bottom Line:
They're good, get em, Met-Rx make serious nutritional products.

Favorite Trail:   ?

Purchased At:   Secret ;)

Similar Products Used:   Numerous

Bike Setup:   I don't ride anymore but I have an old BSA Mach II lying around somewhere :P

Submitted by Peter a Weekend Warrior from Winnipeg

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2001

Strengths:    Lots of protein and gives great energy especially when mixed with a 950ml bottle of Gatoraid to wash down the taste!

Weaknesses:    Chocolat Chip Cookie Dough is very disgusting in taste, but the bar works.

Bottom Line:
This bar works extremely well, I use it mainly when i am bodybuilding but it also works well for the long rides. You will need a plenty to drink as the taste is terrible, I find that washing it down with my Citron-Lime gatoraid works great!

Purchased At:   7-11

Similar Products Used:   Poweraid Gel, and several bars

Submitted by George a Weekend Warrior from Redlands,CA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2000

Strengths:    Nutritional Value. Taste.

Weaknesses:    Price.

Bottom Line:
I'm one of those people who happen to love the flavor. Maybe they just grew on me. My favorite is the Protein Plus Bavarian Mint bar. I lift weights and these bars are an easy way for me to get protein between meals without much of the sugar and fat. Sofar, these bars are the most practical protein supplement I have found, but not the cheapest. I need to start buying these things in bulk. I gave the bars a 3 for value and an overall rating of 4 because of the high price.

Purchased At:   Trader Joes

Similar Products Used:   Many

Submitted by David Steiner a Downhiller from PArk City, UT

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2000

Strengths:    Protein Plus Rules! Great tasting tons of protein and
thats what you need. Try it you will see it is all you need.

Weaknesses:    its expensive but you can buy them at 7/11 and wal mart

Bottom Line:
If you are going on a long ride use this product! Also, after riding hard you need protein to help rebuild muscle. use this product

Favorite Trail:   BLACKS Canyon Jackson WY

Similar Products Used:   Balance bar no comparison

Bike Setup:   Rock MT Pipeline

Submitted by Heather from GA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2000

Strengths:    taste, nutritional value

Weaknesses:    price

Bottom Line:
It tastes great, and has good nutrition. The Met-Rx Source One tastes better than the Met-Rx Protien Plus. Unfortunately, I'm a vegetarian and the protien is what I need. I've tried Chocolate Roasted Peanut. I am tempted to try the Chocolate Chip- how was that one? However, I've only tried one other energy bar, and it was a totally different flavor, so I can not compare it to other bars as far as taste. It is not the most expensive bar, but it is DEFINATELY not the cheapest! Also, I'm not a cyclist, I'm a runner- I'm not sure how that would make a difference.

Submitted by Mike Kuzmyak a Weekend Warrior from yorba linda, CA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2000

Strengths:    They taste alright, but not everyone will aggree. Tons of protein and carbs. Very nutritious and low in fat. Great for energy or recovery.

Weaknesses:    Price. Looks and feels like mush (but its nutritious mush that taste alright). Full of whey, which is a milk product (for portein), which means, LACTOSE. ARGH! I'm lactose intolerant. Really bad too. These things are full of it. Well, PowerBar protein plus seems a lot worst, but I only eat these things on bike rides and when working out, because they give me the farts. Im talking nasty farts from someone who can't have dairy.

Bottom Line:
Like I said, nutritious mush. I think they taste alright, and like the cookies n' cream and fudge. If these things are giving you the farts (like many other protein bars), switch to something with no lactose or removed lactose, like regular Power Bars (not the protein kind though).

Favorite Trail:   anaheim hills

Similar Products Used:   Power Bar, Gel, PowerBar Protein Plus, fruit, gatorade and every other sports drink.

Submitted by Ken a Cross Country Rider from Laguna Niguel, CA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2000

Strengths:    Efficacy, Proprietary Protein, Taste

Bottom Line:
This is a great product for many reasons. The Original Food Bars (100 grams)have a good amount of protein (27 grams)and carbs (48 grams)and provides great sustained energy for long rides. The Chocoalte Graham Cracker and Chocolate Chip rock. Take a Chocoalte Graham Cracker bar and warm it in a microwave for 40 seconds...tastes like a brownie straight out of the oven.

The protein Plus bars by MET-Rx have 32-34 grams of protein and only 13-15 grams of carbs so it makes supplementing protein...easy. I buy them at getbigger.com, enutrition.com and performance bike.

MET-Rx makes the best protein out there, it really isn't hype...I lost 10% body fat and gained about 4 lbs of lean muscle in 6 weeks on a MET-Rx diet program. Has improved my speed on the bike 10 fold..its amazing.

Favorite Trail:   Aliso and Woods