Hammer Nutrition Perpetuem Nutrition

4.68/5 (47 Reviews)

Hammer Nutrition Perpetuem Endurance Fuel is the result of years of research and thousands of miles of testing in a variety of endurance disciplines. Perpetuem is Hammer's ultimate link to satisfying the body's fueling requirements no matter how long or difficult your exercise session or race is. What's in Perpetuem?Carbohydrates - As with all Hammer Nutrition fuels, no simple sugars are added to the carbohydrate profile. Perpetuem contains a specific maltodextrin, which provides nearly 87% of its caloric composition in long chain carbohydrates.Protein - A new calcium-enhanced soy protein isolate known as "XT" makes up nearly 10% of the caloric profile of Perpetuem, the same percentage as is cannibalized during long slow endurance workouts. This particular soy protein contains a very high amount of intact, cardiovascular-enhancing isoflavones.Fat - A de-oiled "super lecithin" (extracted from the soybean) is ideal for consistently and reliably fueling the body and maximizing energy production from stored fatty acids. Sweetener - Made from Energy Smart, the same healthy sweetener in Hammer Gel.One container has 16 servings of Perpetuem. It's ideal for workouts and races over 3 hours. Perpetuem comes in three flavors -- Caf? Latte, Orange Vanilla, Strawberry Vanilla, and Unflavored.

Submitted by jon a Racer

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2014

Strengths:    None-

Weaknesses:    Everything

Bottom Line:
Tried to like this and gave it a chance several times for over a year to try and dial in the right amount. I read and reread and spoke with Hammer nutrition client customer service. These customer service rep will try and have you believe that they ALL are expert nutritionist. That said, this product- Perpetuem made me bonk, would NOT digest, made me, with severe intestinal pain and bloating. I have ridden thousands of miles with positive success from other products. My belief is, it's primarily all hype and anecdotal science. Just another snake oil mentality false promise.

Duration Product Used:   1.5 years

Purchased At:   Hammer online

Similar Products Used:   Power Bar CLIFF Products

Submitted by Adam a Racer

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2013

Strengths:    Easy, reliable, and the taste isn't that bad to me.

Weaknesses:    When it warms up, wow can it taste bad.

Bottom Line:
I'll be quick here. I've used this for some time now, though not in any races yet. I find it's nice for training and mixes well with just a good shaking of the bottle. If it warms up the flavor tends to crash and burn. I haven't had it warm up on a ride yet, but that one experience with it was terrible. Luckily my bottle washed out easily and the smell was gone. Everybody will have different experiences, but pick up a small bottle of he powder and see how it goes.

Submitted by Brenda Brown

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2013

Strengths:    I love Perpetuem. I've been an athlete all my life, but just got into distance cycling this past spring. My problem was stomach upset; I simply cannot eat anything on my distance rides (longest I've ridden at one time is 80 miles on a supported ride). Finally, I tried Perpetuem, and then use Nuun electrolyte tablets. Problem solved. I'm reading on this site a lot of complaints about the taste...What???? This tastes so good, I have to force myself to go slow in ingesting it. I make up a paste, and due to my body size, one serving lasts me 3 hours....I love the taste of all of them, but primarily use the caffe latte and use strong black coffee to make it into a paste. (I also use 1/3 part raw honey and 2/3's part pure maple syrup for my energy.) I grew up without white sugar or white flour and simply cannot tolerate junk food.

Weaknesses:    None!!

Bottom Line:
Thank God for this product. No more upset stomach!

Submitted by ChazMan a Cross Country Rider from Dearborn, MI

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2011

Strengths:    Has proper nutrition for long distance events, like a liquid food

Weaknesses:    taste

Bottom Line:
Ok, in full disclosure, I'm a road biker but I've got LOTS of experience with this product. I use it on centuries and long training rides. I mix 2 scoops with 24 oz. of water in my Polar bottles. To help the taste I add a couple packets of Stevia sweetener per bottle. My bike is set up with 5 cages so 4 of my bottles have Perpetuem while the other has ice water. I drink half a bottle every 11 miles and that gets me to 88 miles, from there on it's all me. I also use e-gel (great stuff!!), and down one of those every hour. I've done centuries without taking on food at rest stops in cooler weather, only topping off a couple bottles with water at the mid-way rest stop and I've never felt hungry. I've used the Orange-vanilla Perpetuem but am going to try the new strawberry flavor some shops sell it in small packets so you can give it a try without shelling out a lot for the big jug.

Submitted by rearden a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2011

Strengths:    This is one of the few drinks which contain protein and fat. It has similarities in that respect to Ensure. It is designed for multi-hour endurance efforts; situations where you will truly run out of carbs, not just get tired.

Weaknesses:    Taste.

Bottom Line:
This is my long day staple. If I am going to be out for several hours on MTB, road, trail running, AR, etc. then Perpeteum is my fuel of choice usually mixed with a bit of EFS and green tea for caffeine and antioxidants. It is far from a complete meal, but it is much better than straight carbs. It doesn't give me stomach problems any more than any other product would. I mix it into a thick paste and chase with appropriate amounts of water for a long course (Iron distance) race; the new solids may be a better choice than the paste mix.

Similar Products Used:   Heed, EFS, Ensure, Hammer Gel, Accelerade, Accelgel, Carboom, Clifshot gel, Roctane, Gu, ...

Submitted by wawadoc a Weekend Warrior from Wawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2011

Strengths:    Before I started to use Perpetuem I had problems with bonking and I also had muscle fasciculations after the ride. Bonking is no longer and issue and I even use it for shorter events as it prevents the fasciculations. I use of for cross country skiing and cycling. I like the ability to calculate the concentration that you will need for an event.

Weaknesses:    Hard to dissolve but I just shake it up before I drink it. I find the taste quite tolerable. It can be hard to find in stores.

Bottom Line:
Prevents bonking. I was happily surprised that it also prevented muscle fasciculations.

Favorite Trail:   Hiawatha Sault Ste Marie

Similar Products Used:   Gatorade, Powerade, Water and gels, water and bars or food

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR C2
Gary Fischer HiFi

Submitted by 24 Solo MTB a Racer from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2010

Strengths:    Caloric balance between fats, protein and carbs.

Weaknesses:    No electrolytes

Bottom Line:
Even though my reason for trying this stuff was to use on the mountain bike, the first test was on the road where I could could control intake easier and could make adjustments without too much trouble if things fell apart. Things didn’t fall apart and honestly, I felt great through out the ride. I tested the product on a 5 hour mtb ride and again had no troubles. Time for the real deal. I debuted the use of Perpetuem at the 12 Hours of Arcata in late 2009. I drank a 1-hour bottle each lap and overall I was very pleased with the result. I drank no additional water or other products. aside from the 1-hour bottle each lap. I didn’t have any gastro problems and I felt full and fueled for the first six hours. The only problem I had was over hydrating. This was not a problem with the product, just the fact that I was mixing it in with too much water. The result was a fair amount of cramping and a sloshy gut. So, I didn’t drink anything for two laps until I felt better. After 8 hours I started getting tired of the taste so I mixed things up a bit and starting drinking HEED and eating a bar on each lap. Therefore, as a sole source of calories it fell short. Again, I think that was due more to my tastes and inexperience with it than the product itself. I had a nice even energy burn for the entire race and although was getting tired I never felt like I was bonking or running out of gas. Keep in mind there is some caffeine in there and I can definitely feel it after a race. As exhausted as I am I always have a hard time falling asleep when I drink Perpetuem.

Read the rest of my review here: http://24mtb.wordpress.com/2010/03/19/hammer-perpetuem-review/

Favorite Trail:   Nantahala, NC

Purchased At:   Online

Bike Setup:   29er Gary Fisher

Submitted by DCW-RacerX a Racer from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2010

Strengths:    Most people reviewing find it to work great

Weaknesses:    I'm throwing my review out there in case anyone else is like me and finds this product doesn't work for them. This stuff tastes really bad and it gets worse as it warms up. Everytime I've tried to use it in long distance races(4+ hrs) I have to stop drinking it after the first hour if it gets to warm. To make matters worse, when it warms up it starts to make me nauseous and sick feeling in my stomach.

Bottom Line:
In theory and for most people this product works great despite the terrible taste. However, I've used it in three races and found it does not work for me once the flavor gets even worse as it warms up. Everyone has their own formula for what works, but for me this stuff doesn't even come close.

Similar Products Used:   Gels, R4, etc.

Bike Setup:   Titus RacerX ~ 23 lbs

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from Amherst, MA USA

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2010

Strengths:    Keeps me from having hallucinations of ham sandwiches crossing the trail in front of you on long rides.

Weaknesses:    no

Bottom Line:
In the future i will make sure my riding buddies are using this stuff too so that I won't be cutting rides short. People tend to start whining that they are hungry 3 hours into a good ride when I feel fine and want to go more using Perpetuem. Just sayin. It works.

Favorite Trail:   DAR

Purchased At:   Flye Cycles

Similar Products Used:   A bunch

Bike Setup:   Big Unit

Submitted by runnerjay a Cross Country Rider from east anglia,UK

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2009

Strengths:    the best fuel i've come across (i've tried them all!). Mild tasting, don't get that hungry feeling, you can keep pushing the pace!

Bottom Line:
there are many choices out there, but nothing comes closer to Perpetuem, p.s. thank you John Mayer for introducing hammer products to me.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   www.hammernut.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   too many to name!

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from MI

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2007

Strengths:    It works and it works extremely well.

Weaknesses:    The taste is reminiscent of soy milk. Not bad but it is there. The Orange-Vanilla is even more subtle.

Bottom Line:
When I first started to take up century rides I was ill prepared for the nutritional needs they require. My first couple of centuries I bonked around the 80-90 mile mark. After that I started searching around and comparing what was out there. I tried a few different things starting with cliff bars and a few energy drinks here and there. I asked around at the forums here and at roadbikereview.com and Hammer products where highly, highly, recommended. On my next century I had some Hammer Gels and Perpetuem. I did not bonk....finally. I also hadn't done more than maybe a month, month and half, of riding between my last century when I bonked and this one when I didn't.

I was tired at the end. I felt fatigue. I knew I had worked out. There was no sudden burst of energy or any feeling of additional energy. I was simply able to keep riding, turning the pedals to the end with a fairly consistant effort. And it is this that I think is what makes Hammer products so great. They don't add to the effort. They don't make things better, faster, and stronger Rather, they give the fuel your body needs and as long as you're willing to put in the effort, you'll achieve what you set out to do. Simply put, in order to actually get better, faster, and stronger, you need to put in the time, miles, and effort. This allows you to do that if you're so inclined.

Favorite Trail:   Potowatami

Similar Products Used:   Gu, Ultima

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula Deluxe; KHS Pilot 3.0

Submitted by Kevin K a Cross Country Rider from Sherman Oaks

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2007

Strengths:    It works. Keeps me going strong after a long strenuous workout/race. Great buffers for the lactic acid, and my stomach never feels stressed.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Best product for long rides available. Usually mix it with Heed, and am good for a few hours of hard riding. I recently did an eight hour ride in Durango Colorado, ride was supposed to be only four hours, but, at the end of eight hours, I just took my last gulp of Heed/Perpetuem, and felt great. My legs were fatigued, but, were still going strong. The lactic acid buffers work great. Nothing on the market compares to this product. Good job Hammer.

Favorite Trail:   Sullivan/Thunder Mt. Utah

Purchased At:   direct

Similar Products Used:   sustained energy, also by Hammer.

Bike Setup:   Titus Talus Switchblade 2004, Thomson Seat post/stem, Manitou Minute 3 IT, Fox Talas Shock, Sram X.0 rear derailer/Grip Shifters, Shimano XT Crank/front derailler/chain/cogs/bb, Egg Beater twin ti, Mavic 819, DT Swiss 240s, Hayes El Camino brakes, WTB Weirwolf UST tires.

Submitted by JD Baldwin a Cross Country Rider from Kalamazoo, MI

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2007

Strengths:    Works as advertised, keeps up energy, prevents soreness

Weaknesses:    Tastes like poo. Seriously. Like poo.

Bottom Line:
Tastes pretty foul once it warms up. It ain't all that great when it's cold, either. But it does work -- I rode Hidden Valley, Moab Rim and Slick Rock in a single day using Perpetuem, HEED, Gu packs and water, and I felt fine the next morning. That's pretty amazing.

Favorite Trail:   Varies

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Most popular powders and gels.

Bike Setup:   2006 Trek Fuel EX 9.8

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Lakeville, IN USA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2007

Strengths:    IT WORKS, flavor isn't overpowering

Weaknesses:    Not as readily available as other brands, could mix a bit better

Bottom Line:
THIS STUFF WORKS. It's not my favorite tasting drink, but that isn't to say it tastes bad. I have used it on rides ranging from 10-300+ miles and it has worked well for all of them. The only times I have had any problems with Perpetuem has been on really hot days, but that's only been a couple of incidents where nothing went down well...A great product, especially on rides lasting longer than 2 hours.

Favorite Trail:   Potato Creek