Hammer Nutrition Gel Nutrition

4.87/5 (78 Reviews)

Hammer Gel energy gels are 100% pure complex carbohydrates. 100% pure complex carbohydrates 20oz bottles are eco-friendly (reuseable and less waste)

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Lakeville IN USA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2007

Strengths:    Quick energy boost, good flavor, no simple sugars!

Weaknesses:    It's a bit on the thick side, but it does wash down well.

Bottom Line:
I don't use a lot of energy gel in general, but it is nice when I need a boost. I have tried every flavor Hammer offers and like raspberry and banana the best.

Favorite Trail:   Potato Creek

Purchased At:   Directly

Similar Products Used:   GU, Power Gel, ClifShot

Submitted by Ethan Dull a Cross Country Rider from Jay, VT USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2007

Strengths:    I Love Hammer Gel. I have used a few other kinds of gel , but this is the best one i have ever used. There are many different flavors for all tastes. As promised, 1 shot will deliver automatic energy when you are feeling burnt out. This product has saved my ass on more than 1 occasion.

Weaknesses:    I cant think of any

Bottom Line:
BUY THIS! IT WORKS!!
It's true, this is the best preforming gel I have ever used. When I was on the Southern Traverse in VA this product brought me saftly to the end. By the way that was an awesome ride!!

Favorite Trail:   SECRET

Purchased At:   Firsttrax, VT

Similar Products Used:   Clif bars, shots, SOLO bars,

Bike Setup:   2007 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Submitted by Indiana Andy from indianapolis

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2006

Strengths:    smoothe energy

Weaknesses:    requires a "flask" and some flavors really suck.

Bottom Line:
This product is great. unfortunately i feel that the customer service with e-caps/hammer really blows. some of the flavors are almost unbearable especially when they get really warm on hot days. this stuff requires a flask for use and the flasks they sell you for the gel's SUCK. the lids dont stay on well and they are just really poorly made, id rather pay $4 for a flask that works better than a $1 flask that really sucks. my chilis include my experiences with customer service!

Favorite Trail:   nebo ridge

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   p. gel

Bike Setup:   Klein!

Submitted by Mandi a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2006

Strengths:    Smooth flavor, easy to consume. This stuff does what is says! Easy on the tummy and no nasty aftertaste! I've only tried the raspberry and apple, but both were excellent.

Bottom Line:
This stuff rocks! It's not loaded with sugar-it's all the good complex carbs you need. I used to get queasy about 15 mins into a ride but this stuff provides enough sodium to stop that. Another plus is the customer service from e-caps. They called me when I submitted my first order just to make sure I didn't have any questions and confirm my products were on the way.

Purchased At:   E-Caps

Similar Products Used:   GU

Bike Setup:   Old '98 FSR--dreaming of the new Stumpy Expert

Submitted by Rodger Lyle a Weekend Warrior from Schwenksville, PA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2005

Strengths:    Hmmm...where to start...Smooth, good flavor, no aftertaste, not just a bunch of flavored sugar like 99% of the stuff that's out there. I use it for long road rides and one of my friends uses it for serious mountain biking, and we both can feel the effects of this stuff!

Bottom Line:
This stuff is the real deal, not just a bunch of sugar. I've even used it for an energy source when baling hay on my Father-In-Law's farm and noticed a HUGE difference in that I didn't feel nearly as tired or sore as I normally would afterward.

Favorite Trail:   Perky/Schuylkill

Purchased At:   E-Caps

Similar Products Used:   Goo

Bike Setup:   Specialized Allez Elite

Submitted by Michael a Racer from Amarillo, TX

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2005

Strengths:    taste(Espresso, Rasberry, Vanilla)
No after taste.

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best products I have ever used. This gives me constant energy during my Ultra endurance races.

Favorite Trail:   Any thing off road

Purchased At:   E-caps.com

Similar Products Used:   GU, Power gel, Carboom

Bike Setup:   2005 Orbea Scape-2003 Marzocchi Marathon-XT cranks, shifters, F derailleur-Avid Single digit Mag levers-XTR V Brakes, R derailleur-Zeus Carbon seatpost-Flite TI gel seat-Carbon bars- Pink Oury grips-Crankbrother eggbeaters pedals-DT Swiss Hugi 240 wheels with XR4.1 Ceramic rims-Maxxis Ranchero fromt,Larsen TT rear with Stans Notubes.
21.5 lbs

Submitted by Rob Saraniero a Racer from Virginia

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2005

Strengths:    I really like the consistency of the product both from a taste/liquid perspective and in the manner of the smooth energy release I receive from it. There are a lot of products on the market that claim to be based on the "long-chain complex carbohydrate" tip but this one is the one that works in my opinion.

Weaknesses:    Honestly....there aren't any.
It could be a personal preference thing but I doubt it.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is that until Hammer goes out of business or there is an Einstein leap in nutritional science, I am going to be a Hammer Gel user. Do yourself a favor and give it a whirl. You won't regret it.

Favorite Trail:   Schaeffer Farms

Similar Products Used:   I have tried them all over the years from Gu, Cliff Shot, Hammer Gel, CarbBoom...you name it.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight, Fox RLC 100, Shimano XT, Avid Brakes.

Submitted by Brian a Racer from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2005

Strengths:    Tastes great and NO SUGARs. Mixes well with water. Best flavors: Chocolate, Vanilla, Plain, Raspberry. Mix Rasp wth Plain or Choc with Van are great!

Weaknesses:    I always find my jugs empty!

Bottom Line:
This stuff rocks. I use it dilutes with water--it goes down very easily and washed out of the flask easier. A swig every 20-30 minutes will keep you going for ever. Add either Endurolytes, HEED, or Perpetuem for Hydration and Electrolytes and you're good to go for hours.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe flume trail

Purchased At:   Direct Online

Similar Products Used:   GU, PowerGel, Carb Boom, Clif Shot, Honey Stinger.

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer-X--nothing else. SRAM, Magura, Fox, DT, King, FSA.

Submitted by Deanna Frank a Racer from Birmingham, Alabama, USA

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2005

Strengths:    Tastes good, has a large variety of flavors. Seems to go down smoother than other gels I've used. Doesn't upset my stomach. Able to buy in large containers to put into flasks or in single packets.

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any.

Bottom Line:
I like Hammer Gel over the other energy gels mainly because it seems to go down a little easier and it sits well. I've had a lot of stomach problems in the past during races and the Hammer Gel sits the best with me. I also like the flavors. My favorite is the banana and I normally don't like banana flavored things, but it tastes like banana pudding. I also like the fact that it can be bought in large containers as well as the single packets. I'm pretty sure it costs less than a lot of the other energy gels out there too.

Similar Products Used:   Carb Boom, Gu

Submitted by Fred a Racer from CO

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2005

Strengths:    steady energy source, no ups and downs! Flexibily, mix and match flavors and water.

Weaknesses:    ehh, it's sticky when you spill it on handle bars or gloves...

Bottom Line:
great product form a great company. No simple sugars equals steady energy without big kick then bonk. Great dispensers and multi serving flasks, no gel wrapper litter.

Favorite Trail:   any single track

Purchased At:   e-caps.com

Similar Products Used:   Gu, clif shot, power gel etc.

Submitted by Nancy Gworek a Racer from Buffalo, NY,USA

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2005

Strengths:    Taste, texture and affordability. I also like the fact that it has no simple sugars (fructose)that can play havoc on your innerds especially during a long ride. It is also versitle. You can use it straight from the pouch or mix it in a water bottle for a nice refreshing taste and can even add some endurolyte powder for those long hot rides.

Bottom Line:
IMO, the best gel on the market

Purchased At:   e-caps.com

Submitted by Marc Heim from Saline, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2005

Strengths:    Great taste, consistency, easy to digest, low sugar and the sugars that are there are complex--no insulin spike and/or subsequent crash

Bottom Line:
The raspberry flavor is the best for me. I use straight and as jelly on my PB&J sandwiches. Althought the bananna is good for that too. I like the espresso in the single serve packs for the caffeine from the middle to the end of long rides/ races for a little more oomph.

Favorite Trail:   Potowotami

Similar Products Used:   Have tried or used nearly all of the other gels at one time or another, and found them each lacking on some way.

Submitted by Karl W Keltner from Liberty MO USA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2005

Strengths:    easily digested, low sugar, keeps energy levels stable (no highs or lows), I love the gel flask

Bottom Line:
I do ultra endurance events (Ironmans, ultrarunning) and have not found any products on the market that compare. I have tried them all! Anyone who is looking to improve personal performance and maintain consistent energy levels through those tough events needs to try this product. You won't be disappointed.

Purchased At:   hammergel.com