Home | Reviews | Nutrition | Gu

Gu Energy Gel Nutrition

3.83/5 (80 Reviews)

GU Roctane Ultra Endurance Energy Gel is a re-engineered formulation of the GU you already know and love. It's made for the extreme needs of elite athletes. How is it different Roctane is GU, plus or minus some key ingredients. It packs the same calorie punch as GU and features their blend of complex and simple carbs for steady power production, electrolytes for proper water balance, and caffeine to tap into late-race muscle reserves. It lacks the vitamins C and E. Instead, what you'll get from Roctane is added amino acids to slow lactic acid production, serve as fuel, aid recovery from hard efforts, and mitigate fuzzy-headed weariness. Also, the addition of OKG, an amino acid complex that mitigates catabolic effects that break down muscle tissue, helps to minimize fatigue and muscle damage during repeated days of hard efforts. GU Roctane is available in Blueberry Pomegranate, Cherry Lime, Pineapple, and Vanilla Orange. Sold in a box with 24 individual packets.

Submitted by Crystal

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2013

Strengths:    Good packaging, taste is not bad at all (vanilla is all that I use), decent price

Weaknesses:    Hard to swallow during training, can be a little overly sweet during training

Bottom Line:
I decided that I would give the vanilla flavored gel a try and found it to not be bad tasting at all. I found that it was rather pleasant tasting, and the packaging was very good. I could place it in my shorts pocket, go for a run, and not have to worry about it exploding or leaking at all, and another plus is that it is very easy to open. I bought this product on a whim and found that when I do take it during training, my muscles seem to work at a better pace and they do NOT cramp up afterwards. The downfall to this product is that I did NOT notice a difference in my energy levels. That could simply be just me, but I do not know. Overall, it is a product that I will continue using, but not on a daily basis because I do not feel as though it has shown me enough of a result to be worthy enough for me to dedicate myself to it consistently.

Submitted by lara whitaker

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2013

Strengths:    Energy boost and recovery

Weaknesses:    Thick and sweet-a little hard to swallow during extensive run

Bottom Line:
I am training for a half marathon and needed something to hydrate on my long runs (kept running out of sports drink in my little carry-along bottle). Tried the lemon sublime and cherry lime on my run this morning (11.73 miles) . While it is kind of hard to swallow when you are exerting yourself, the taste is not as bad as some others have made out-it's kind of like a big spoonful of icing! I immediately noticed a burst of energy,especially with the one that contained caffeine. The biggest thing I noticed is that I have no muscle cramping in my legs whatsoever-whereas before I could barely walk for 2days after a long run! If it wasn't for my old lady knee bothering me, I would feel like I could go do another run tonight! This stuff is definitely worth the money and I will definitely use it again!

Submitted by damagr a Cross Country Rider from LA

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2011

Strengths:    Taste, energy, variety

Bottom Line:
This stuff is great. I can't believe all the negative reviews posted... must be some kind of conspiracy.
Gu is never pasty, goes down easy, never upsets my tummy, and has lots of great flavors (Vanilla, Jet Blackberry, Blueberry-Pomegranite, etc). It is a bit expensive full price, but look for sales and stock up when the price is right. Roctane also rules for racing or really long rides.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in the Santa Monica Mtns

Purchased At:   multiple

Similar Products Used:   Clif shots, Power Gel, Hammer gel, etc.

Bike Setup:   Multiple 29ers

Submitted by Frank Hogan a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2011

Strengths:    energy

Weaknesses:    price, package

Bottom Line:
I won't use those foil packages anymore. Do people still buy em, You'd think this fabulous economy and job market would have finally changed our wasteful western habits. the best carb gel for cross country is max energy, hard to find though, got some in palo alto and fairbanks, for the readers try http://www.endurancemaxenergy.com

Favorite Trail:   Hood to coast, John Muir

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   accelerade, power gel, hammer gel, cytomax,power surge, enervite, amino vital,

Submitted by kzeiszler a Cross Country Rider from Bismarck, ND

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2011

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    tastes horrible, didn't notice any more energy

Bottom Line:
save your money get a cliff bar

Favorite Trail:   ma da hey

Purchased At:   epic

Similar Products Used:   Cliff bars

Bike Setup:   KM single speed

Submitted by SenorSerioso a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2011

Strengths:    Works kinda

Weaknesses:    Works kinda

Bottom Line:
Benefit does not exceed flavor compromise. Chocolate Outrage and the Coffee flavor were the only ones I could stomach. I felt so terrible after consuming the others. It took me 30 minutes to get the nasty taste out of my mouth.

Similar Products Used:   Roctane, Accelerade

Submitted by maxwilson a Cross Country Rider from Vacaville, CA USA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2011

Strengths:    it's carbs in an emergency

Weaknesses:    price, packaging and sugar.

Bottom Line:
why do all those endurance nutrition companies practice the mantra of muscle head sport nutrition marketing? Magic supplemental nutrients! There's no magic in any of them and then they add sugar to hide the nasty taste of the so-called magic. And, I won't handle those foil packages. I keep going back to endurance max energy gel. Clean maltodextrin carbs, no sugar and packaging that makes sense. I use it in racing 3 - 24 hours and it always works.

Favorite Trail:   solano, sonoma, napa counties

Purchased At:   betterfitness@netzer

Similar Products Used:   power gel, max energy, enervitene, cytomax, gatorade, clif, accelerade, hammer gel, heed

Submitted by cross country runner a Cross Country Rider from Orangevale, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2010

Strengths:    deffinitely gives you energy

Weaknesses:    not easy to digest- the last two times i have raced with it I have collapsed on the course and vomited 7+ times. It might just be me. But I gag trying to get it down, its so disgusting

Bottom Line:
tastes awful, can cause vomiting, more of a placebo than actually working. DONT BOTHER.

Purchased At:   fleet feet

Similar Products Used:   Gatorade pre-game, powerblocks

Submitted by ramilcp a Weekend Warrior from Whittier, CA

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2008

Strengths:    Provides good energy. Prevents me from bonking.

Weaknesses:    Bitter chemical aftertaste on some flavors. Best to just swallow it down and not savor it.

Bottom Line:
I think the chocolate flavor is the most palatable of the Gu shots. The taste of Just Plain and Vanilla are disagreeable during the heat of physical activity. I get these at a discount so the I'm willing to get over the taste for a quick energy boost because taste aside, these shots work.

Purchased At:   Any bike or fitness store

Similar Products Used:   Clif Shots, Honey Stinger, Powergel, e-Gel, Carb-boom.

Bike Setup:   N/A

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from NH

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2005

Strengths:    energy

Weaknesses:    taste,packaging

Bottom Line:
power gel is too sweet, clif shot has a nasty after taste
Gu isnt great tasting but better than most, tried all flavers tri berry & orange taste best, just plain is just plain nasty, I finally settled on java for the double caffiene. I've resd several studies that conclude caffiene is the only quick boost that works, I'll have to agree. as for the taste & waste, eat it in 1 big swallow, drink water and carry a baggie for the sticky package

Favorite Trail:   FT Rock

Purchased At:   goodales

Similar Products Used:   power gel, cliff shot

Bike Setup:   specialized enduro pro

Submitted by kirk a Weekend Warrior from thousand oaks, CA USA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2005

Strengths:    gives energy

Weaknesses:    taste!

Bottom Line:
I want my Power Gel Back! This stuff is disgusting. Really, no joke. Plug your nose don't chew and pray the after taste doesn't linger for as long as it normally does. No noticable advantage in energy over power gel. And I compare power gel to yogurt (straw-banana), and GU to play-doh.

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   powerbar energy gel

Submitted by Scratchy from Adelaide

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2005

Strengths:    Taste

Bottom Line:
It's really a toss up between this and Hammer Gel, I prefer the vanilla taste of this one, it's kinda a "nothing", my primary concern if I'm slamming this down is to get it down, not savour the taste. I have used it in several 24hr enduros and at first I was scheptical about the usuage, but at 3am halfway through my 4th lap, getting one of these down left me in no doubt. Gel's work! Try different flavours and brands as I've had some that make me want to chuck. Not good when your bonking!

Favorite Trail:   A new one

Similar Products Used:   Hammer Gel, Honey Stinger, High5

Bike Setup:   not revelant

Submitted by Edward C. from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2003

Strengths:    The Chocolate Outrage actually tastes good. I haven't tried some of the other flavors but I'm told vanilla and plain are repulsive. I did notice a little boost of energy ~1/2 hour into my daily run....nothing too significiant though.

Weaknesses:    This product is outrageously expensive and can be very messy if one is not careful.

Bottom Line:
The success with most of these products lies in the marketing. Yes, it does provide an little extra boost of energy but certainly not for the price. I suppose products like this would benefit a consumer most when, while they are competing, they are starting to feel their energy levels become depleted. Consuming energy gel before a race or exercise session, in my opinion, is probably a waste of money and time. As I stated above though, the psychological effects should not be underestimated. Eating a well balanced diet, staying well hydrated, and exercising properly will serve you just as well and enable you to achieve the same performance results. Save your money.

Favorite Trail:   Belle Isle

Purchased At:   Agee's Bicycles (Carytown)