Endurox R4 Nutrition

4.33/5 (21 Reviews)

The only recovery drink proven to replenish muscle glycogen levels 128% more than carbohydrate drinks.

Submitted by Nat

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2012

Strengths:    Endurox R4 works. I have tried chocolate milk, protein shakes, Gatorade, water and just eating. Endurox R4 is the only thing that makes a huge difference in how sore I am going to be the next day.

Weaknesses:    My dieting side hates to consume the 270 calories, 40g sugar, 52g carbs, and then you are suppose to eat within an hour of a strenuous workout. This is not a meal replacement.
It should be taken within 30 minutes of completion of workout which has me in parking lots making my drink.

Bottom Line:
I love it and I am addicted. After any long ride or run I make a straight line for my Endurox R4. Nothing I have tried comes close to it.

Submitted by FloridaRunner a Racer from Orlando, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2011

Strengths:    - Muscle fatigue is delayed during workouts
- Muscle soreness is significantly reduced after long/hard runs

Weaknesses:    - Requires consuming LOTS of water
- Does not mix well w/o stirring or shaking

Bottom Line:
I really didn't know what to expect because I'm very skeptical of product reviews, but Endurox R4 does work far better than CytoCarb, MuscleMilk or Gatorade for recovering from long runs. My long runs are all over 14mi, and when I'm taking Endurox R4 my muscles are not as fatigued as they used to be. It feels like the lactate threshold is increased during long runs, so it prolongs hitting a physical wall-of-fatigue. The real reason I'm sticking w/this product is because when I'm done w/a 20 miler, my legs don't hurt so so bad anymore. Previously, after a 20 mile run, I used to almost collapse and crawl to the refrigerator upon arriving home because of the damage done to the muscles, but now the pain in my legs is significantly reduced. And now I don't look like an idiot crawling around in the kitchen :-) So for those who may be undecided on spending the $$$ on this product, I recommend giving it a shot. Just remember, drink LOTS of water, otherwise you'll be cotton-mouth thirsty.

Favorite Trail:   .

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   CytoCarb

Bike Setup:   .

Submitted by EFM a Weekend Warrior from Boise Id. USA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2010

Strengths:    Finally found a product that does what it says it will do.
No pain after many long runs and major work outs.

Bottom Line:
Finally found a product that does what it says it will do.
No pain after many long runs and major work outs. After being side lined for many months went out and over did it, but during and after the run/workout I sipped on an Endurox drink and the next day absolutely no muscle pain. Amazing

Submitted by Eve the Runner not biker a Cross Country Rider from Riverview, MI

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2010

Strengths:    I do not have the sore muscles I usually have after a long run. The recovery is terrific

Weaknesses:    I really don't think I have blood sugar problems, but if I run long, drink EnduroxR4 and then wait longer than 1 hour to eat, I crazy. Almost pasted out in the store last week. I was having all the symptoms of very low blood sugar. Wish someone could tell me what that is all about. It has happened to me several times. I weigh under 110 and barely use 1 scoop. I have never experienced a blood sugar drop like that unless I'm on Endurox.

Bottom Line:
Great stuff and I'll continue to use it on my long runs, but I guess I just have to eat along with it.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Erie Metro Park

Purchased At:   mail order

Similar Products Used:   Gatorade

Submitted by Dave Wright a Cross Country Rider from Greenville, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2009

Strengths:    Good taste (Lemon Lime & Tangy Orange) encourages drinking
Right balance of carbs, protein, and electrolytes
Mixes easily
Bottles wash out easily apres-ride

Weaknesses:    Expensive @ MSRP; get a discount

Bottom Line:
Note that I am using this drink during rides, and often one right after. I've tried lots of approaches, and this one simply works. I often ride well past the point of glycogen exhaustion, so I am riding "on my stomach". Two bottles, a 12 oz. Nalgene flask full of powder, and water sources alogn the route are all I need to enjoy 6 - 8 hours on the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Kanuga

Purchased At:   various places & pri

Similar Products Used:   Gatorade (too sugary & thin tasting; needs some protein)
Water + dry carbs or gels/blocks (disrupts ride flow & slow to digest)
Accelerade (reluctant to mix; trashes bottles)
Podium (even more expensive)

Bike Setup:   26" single speed MTB
Touring bike for the road

Submitted by Cvanliere a Weekend Warrior from Tempe, AZ, US

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2008

Strengths:    Less sore on the morning after, feel good right after drinking

Weaknesses:    Expensive for what the ingredients are

Bottom Line:
Remember using it the first time and was surprised. A friend laughed and said you could just take Gatorage with a Vitamin E and B pill. I've tried various substitutes and it does not seem to work quite the same. However, the price is quite high for the ingredients involved. Everyone is different, but mixed with one scoop of AKG powder ($10/bottle Vitamin Shoppe, yellow box) and don't remember anything feeling so good after a long ride. Bananas are really good for the $$ during rides, Endurox is a really good recovery drink, but seems too expensive for the ingredients, but it works fairly well. Great if you are highly devoted to riding.

Favorite Trail:   Various

Purchased At:   Vitamin Shoppe

Similar Products Used:   GU, Clif, Powerbar, Monster, Various home mixes, Protein mixes, etc.

Bike Setup:   2006 Enduro

Submitted by Rotors93 a Weekend Warrior from Orcutt, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2008

Bottom Line:
Mike rated this product 1 star
Sat, October 25,2008:
I would have taken the old Lemon Lime formula to my grave with me and I am only 36. Yet the new formula has me looking elsewhere as it doesn't mix well unless you blend it and I don't feel mentally there for several hours as I did right away with the old formula. Why change a good, OK great product? :-(

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Submitted by Jim from sacramento, ca

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2007

Strengths:    Used to work great!

Weaknesses:    Formula has been change (slimy money-grubbers), tastes awful.

Bottom Line:
At long last, I found a product with genuine glucose. And sure enough, often I would find my pace picking up and then think to myself, "Hey, that's right, I mixed up a batch 1/2 hour ago!" Biking 130 miles day after day on a tour, Gatoraid and food just don't give enough energy because of the processing the body has to do at a finite pace. Not so with glucose. And the protein is a plus with my multi-day tours. BUT THEN, I went to buy more and spied that they've dropped the glucose, damn! So now I'm making do with Hammer Perpetuem that works okay.

The taste was awful and I found cutting it 1:1 with Gatoraid fixed this and also made for a less costly mix. I did not find this hampered its effectiveness for me and my type of very long but non-racing paced rides.

Favorite Trail:   The next one I ride

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   before R4: Gatoraid, after R4 (now): Hammer Perpetuem

Submitted by Rob a Racer from Mesa, AZ

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2006

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    I don't like the Fruit Punch taste. Get orange or lemon lime.

Bottom Line:
I like this a lot. After a long ride I feel like it really helps, (but who knows for sure). It tastes great (except for fruit punch).

Favorite Trail:   National--south mountain

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from Harrisburg, PA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2006

Strengths:    Vanilla flavor tastes great. I'd drink it just whenever I felt thirsty throughout the day if it was cheaper. It definately seemed to do everything it claimed as far as I can tell.

Weaknesses:    Hard to get all the powder to dissolve. Gotta keep shaking it up as ya drink it.

Bottom Line:
Tastes great & it works. What else is there to say?

Purchased At:   Performance

Submitted by jason a Cross Country Rider from champaign, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2006

Strengths:    The powder mixes more easily with water than some others I've tried. I read bad reviews about fruit punch flavor so I haven't tried it. I've only used Vanilla because I tried that first and absolutely love the taste. No kidding - I would choose that taste over many desserts. I just ordered my first chocolate but haven't tried it yet.

Weaknesses:    Most places grossly overprice this stuff. Online you can find 28 serving canisters for under 30 bucks. In most big name stores they charge that much for 14 servings. My high chili rating in Value category only assumes you get a good price. The more common high price is way too much.

Bottom Line:
As far as I can tell it works as advertised - though hard to prove that. The vanilla at least tastes awesome. Might take a little online research to find a good price.

Purchased At:   nutritiongeeks.com

Similar Products Used:   various

Submitted by Burgess a Weekend Warrior from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2005

Strengths:    Awesome recovery, and less soreness for sure!!!

Weaknesses:    Taste...

Bottom Line:
Ok, the orange tang flavor is definitely the best! However this isn't powerade ( I mean cool-aide)and taste ok, not great but ok. But compared to it's results I think it's worth it. Since this is made and tested by exercise physiologists, sponsored by the track coaches association, hockey coaches association etc..., and it's been around before most recovery drinks I think it's pretty proven in effectiveness. My personal experience has been nothing but good...I've done long intense workouts, and expected to be laid up for a bit...but it significantly reduces soreness. It's amazing... I'll continue to buy it.

Purchased At:   the endurox website

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Cal

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2005

Strengths:    works well, go down easy, nevr upset my stomach.

Weaknesses:    taste, yak

Bottom Line:
My body feels good and my stomach never had problem with it. To drink it is the tough part- taste too chemical and I need to mix 1/3 of juice for drinkablity. it's very easy to mix with water and kept powder in moisture environment better than others. Good product over all, only if I can get it down to my throat.... Worst taste I have tried.

Favorite Trail:   skeggs