CytoSport Energy Drink Nutrition

3.94/5 (62 Reviews)

Beat the burn of lactic acid build-up with the buffering ingredient in Cytomax, Alpha-L-Polylactate. This key ingredient provides a clean-burning fuel source to working muscles while reducing the buildup of lactic acid.

Submitted by Wayne Holler

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2012

Strengths:    Pleasant fruit flavor, comes in a read-to-drink bottle, really delivers what it said it would!

Weaknesses:    Absolutely none

Bottom Line:
I am training for an untra race next near snd thought I'd try Citomax. Downed a bottle before and one during the run and forgot about it. I find that this stuff really works! After my 2.5 hour run, I came home, showered and thought I'd sit down and watch some TV. Ordinarilly everyone knows what happens next, yep, you have a mild case of the "freezes" until you move arond some.
Not so this time, fond myself walking around normally without any lactic acid to bother me!
Great Stuff! Highly recommend it! Guess everyone has diferent experiences with it.

Submitted by crazyjeys a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2011

Strengths:    Quenches thirst. Gives a boost of power and maintains energy. lessens the tendencies of cramping.

Weaknesses:    none at the moment

Bottom Line:
works great for me! no upset stomach like the ones that posted before. got it on sale at performance bicycles. tried it on from sea otter and liked it from then. i would recommend this product to others out there looking for an energy drink for weekend warriors like me.

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   gatorade

Bike Setup:   2010 Santa Cruz Blur LTc.

Submitted by Austin a Weekend Warrior from Ogden, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2009

Strengths:    Energy Boosts that last a while

Weaknesses:    The worst stomach problems if you catch my drift

Bottom Line:
Use black Powder instead

Favorite Trail:   Ben Lomond

Purchased At:   Vitamin World

Similar Products Used:   Black Powder. A million times better. try the blue raspberry it works better and you don't have to use a million rolls of toilet paper

Bike Setup:   2005 Trek Fuel Disc

Submitted by Goldstar78i a Cross Country Rider from Westfield MA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2009

Strengths:    Tastes good
does indeed help on longer/harder rides (maybe psychological but I don't care)

Weaknesses:    cost

Bottom Line:
I haven't ever used this product during mountain rides (I usually just tough those out and don't drink or eat much) but I have used this stuff on 80 and 100 mile road rides. Let me say this: whether the percieved energy is a placebo or not, this stuff tastes so good I honestly cannot wait to drink it. I carried about 2-3 packets of it on my century ride, and it was the only thing easily stomachable with a 18.4 mph 2 person average in the hills of the berkshires. The citrus flavors are the best. Just buy a can of it and thank me later, but be friends with the LBS cause it costs a bundle.

Favorite Trail:   Gville

Purchased At:   New England Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Gu, Gatorade, accelerade

Bike Setup:   07 Sinister Ridge, 09 Specialized Allez

Submitted by Rod Munch a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa, CA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2008

Strengths:    Seems to do what it says- fights lactic acid buildup in the legs, lets you ride longer without hitting a wall

Weaknesses:    Affects some peoples' stomach, I don't have any problem with it. Not really a "fuel" with 90 calories/serving. Comes in a Big Plastic Jug now that's only 1/2 full.... give me a break!

Bottom Line:
Maybe its all mental, but Cytomax seems to work for me. Instead of hitting a wall, Cytomax allows me to keep hammering even after I'm severely fatigued. The better shape I'm in, the less I need the lactic acid buffering, but Cytomax always allows me to exert more, for longer.

Favorite Trail:   Lawndale

Purchased At:   NorCal Bike Sport

Similar Products Used:   Accelerade (awful taste, I can't drink it), Gatorade (more of a "pop" drink now) Elite Complete (tastes like old/original Gatorade, more salt and less corn syrup), Enervit R2 (I likey)

Bike Setup:   Hammerhead 100X with Fox F100RLC, Propedal shock, Magura Martas and XC Pro wheels, XTR, XT, Sette and Race face bits

Submitted by Jeff from Monterey

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2008

Strengths:    meh. I supposse if you can bear to drink it, it would help.

Weaknesses:    BLEH. Go-go grape should be discontinued. Like everyone else it is easy to get stomach problems with it. I don't know what causes it, but be warned.

Bottom Line:
Meh, At Sea Otter when I first tried it with muscle milk I thought cytomax was THE BEST formula/company, but after buying the 82 serving jar of go-go grape, it's sickening. I haven't even gone through 3 scoops before I realized how awful the taste is. The silky texture of the water was enough, but when the either bland (less powder), or strong (more powder) of that awful chemical grape taste touched my tongue I instantly went back to gatorade. I haven't actually tested to see if it improves endurance and such because I can't stomach it!

Favorite Trail:   The long one

Similar Products Used:   Accelerade, Gatorade, G2 baby (taste like cough syrup).

Submitted by Marc a Cross Country Rider from Canton, Georgia

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2007

Strengths:    Great flavor,and goes down smooth.

Weaknesses:    Stomach problems. Too much sugar or something.

Bottom Line:
At first I was sold on this stuff. The flavor made it easier to drink, and I foolishly thought that the added carbs would help me ride harder/longer. This might be true for some, but for me it only made my stomch turn. To be fair I have stomach problems to begin with but this stuff made me nauseated. I was begining to think that i needed to change my eating time before riding 'till i figured out that the cytomax was causing my problems.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali north carolina

Purchased At:   Performance bike

Similar Products Used:   GU02,gatorade,water

Bike Setup:   2007 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR expert. Nuff said.

Submitted by Mike Sweum a Racer from Sioux city,Iowa

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2007

Strengths:    Tangy oarnge tastes good,works quickly,fairly affordable,does what it says.

Weaknesses:    Takes some serious shaking to mix up.Other than that not really anything.

Bottom Line:
I ride mostly trails and the stuff does it's job.Feel like I have an edge over just water drinking racers. Good stuff,love it.

Favorite Trail:   Stone Park

Purchased At:   GNC

Similar Products Used:   Nearly everything

Bike Setup:   F600 cannondale with all the goodies

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2007

Bottom Line:
UPDATE for my review dated 8/6/2005 - The Green tin is Tropical Fruit flavour & the Pink tin is Pink Lemonade flavour (tastes like bubble gum to me). They were in stock at Healthy's in both the 1.5lb & 4.5lb sizes till the end of 2005. By April 2006 when I went back hoping to find 1 or 2 (4.5lb) tins in the Purple Go Grape flavour I was told that it's no longer manufactured under that brand name and that they don't carry it. I've since opted to go with using Gatorade Fierce Grape liquid 950mL (using a 1/2 bottles worth + water) or 1.9L (using a 1/4 bottles worth + water).
Bottom Line: I now use Gatorade (Fierce Grape) filled water bottles and drinking water from public parks while saving me $46-$92/year.

Purchased At:   Healthy's - Scarborough Town Centre

Similar Products Used:   Gatorade Powder, Gatorade Liquid, Red Bull, Horse Power.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Peoria, IL USA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2006

Strengths:    Works for me as advertised.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't mix well. Artificial sweeteners.

Bottom Line:
I have always seemed to ride much better when I use Cytomax as opposed to not using it. I don't notice the bloating mentioned by some others...probably due to the 12 or so Bud Lights I usually have the night before a ride. I did like the old version of this stuff better. It seemed more effective and not as sugary. I have not used Endurox or Accelerade for an extended duration so a comparison is difficult to make against Cytomax. I think, after reading some of the posts here, that I might give one of the other products a shot for a while and see how it goes. I never had a problem with the taste of Cytomax but it can be rough on the stomach occasionally. I would still recommend it since I've always felt like I benefited from using it.

Purchased At:   Performance.com

Similar Products Used:   Gatorade, Accelerade, Endurox.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F1000 XC

Submitted by Kelly from Ohio

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2006

Strengths:    I didn't have to order it online

Weaknesses:    It was like eating a spoonful of tang. Way too sweet for my taste. Not at all refreshing. Couldn't drink enough to reap any benefits.

Bottom Line:
The only good thing was that I could go pick it up on the corner. If you want something that is going to all around make you feel amazing try Clif shot electrolyte. It taste great and it's organic. Who wants all kinds of crazy chemicals floating around in you all day anyway.

Purchased At:   vitamin world

Similar Products Used:   Clif shot electrolyte which I love.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2005

Strengths:    I love this product and have been using it since 2001 for jogging, cycling and ice skating. I like the taste (go grape flavour), ease of use and large 4.5lb tin it comes in.

Weaknesses:    It tates a little sweet after a while and sometimes you just want some water. Water you can pour on your head to cool off with or on a body part that's bleeding. But then again water doesn't give you any power.

Bottom Line:
The first time I tried it, it was like having a few 1,000 volts surge through me. I've been using it since 2001 at 2 cans/year for jogging, cycling and ice skating (my cycling off season). I tried and stuck with the "go grape flavour",
till 1x the shop only had the other two flavours (tropical in green I think, something in a pink colour). I went with the pink, but it was less then 1/2 as good as the grape is.
I use it in portions of: 1 or 2 scoops with water in a water bottle, or 1 or 2 scoops with Gatorade (Fierce Grape) in a water bottle and 1x I tried 4 scoops in a 70oz. bladder
on a 112km long ride (with more then just the bladder for this long ride).
Bottom Line: I feel better knowing there's something besides just water or Gatorade in my water bottles. It tastes great, works very well for me and I don't see any reason why I should change to another product.

Purchased At:   Healthy's (Scarborough Town Centre)

Similar Products Used:   Gatorade powder, Gatorade liquid, Red Bull, Horse Power.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk, 1996 GT Ricochet.

Submitted by Chris Brown a Racer from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2005

Strengths:    Herbal lift

Weaknesses:    Electrolytes, only two identified and Sodium is too low and Postassium is too high. Ok for winter weather, not good for the hot texas summers, seems to cause bloating, high osmality (sp)?

Bottom Line:
I switched to Shaklee Performance and much better off, all of the testing with the Shaklee Team seems to be of value even though missing the marketing sizzle of the newer products.

Purchased At:   PerformanceBike

Submitted by Indiefab a Cross Country Rider from Tulsa, OK USA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2005

Strengths:    Um, as a pest repellent.
Oh, yeah, you can also use it to poison your enemies.
I am known among my friends to drink about anything and enjoy it; but this is totally unacceptable.

Weaknesses:    -flavor - tastes like pure sin with little chunks of evil.
-texture - chunky; good for peanut butter, not for drinks.
-appearance - doesn't dissolve; and if you shake it, it foams up!
-price - $25 for a 24oz can. Same amount would buy around 20# of gatorade.

Bottom Line:
I usually trust my friendly local privately-owned Tulsa-area LBS, but they screwed me totally by saying this tasted OK. I should have known better when I saw it was the only thing they had left. I have not mentioned them by name because they are usually great guys and have helped me in the past. Maybe they mistook me for some chump wanna-be when I walked in covered in sweat and dirt after a 3 hour ride, wearing Pearl Izumi from head to toe which I have bought loyaly from their store for the last 5 years.
FYI: I have only tried the pink lemonade flavor. Maybe the citrus flavor tastes like bottled ambrosia and makes you climb like Tinker. I'm not going to spend the $25 to find out.

Favorite Trail:   Turkey Mountain

Purchased At:   LBS, to remain anonymous

Similar Products Used:   Gatorade (diluted to 1/4 strength is preferred), most of the powerbar drink products which I really like, Red Bull (yummy!)

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000, SID XL, Time ATAC Ti Carbon, mish-mash of LX and Ritchey drivetrain.

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2003

Strengths:    Keeps me from getting side cramps on long ridses. Higher sustained level of energy

Weaknesses:    take a bottle full of cytomax & leave water in our camelbak. It can get sticky and hard to clean in a water bag.

Bottom Line:
When my best friend and I fly into Moab and rode two days in Arches, this stuff was the only supplement to keep my thighs from burning and my stomach from cramping. Riding at that elevation and heat is a true challenge. I don;t think i would have done near as well without cytomax in my bottles.

PS. I haven't tried their gels. Email if anyone has.

Favorite Trail:   Griffin Creek

Purchased At:   RiteAid

Bike Setup:   03 Epic, 03 Psylo Race with RL, Easton CF Handlebars, LP CF barends, ATACS, CK headset

"energy" drink and general hydration & etc

Has anyone tried the Nunn energy tablets? I found them at REI and decided to give them a try. I have yet to have opportunity to try them however, and just wondered if anyone had. Also, I drank orange Gatorade 'G' mix this weekend on a ride and felt it was helpful. I usually just drink water. When ... Read More »

Re-think your energy drink!

[COLOR=#333333]Want to make it to the big races? Don't have the money? Sponsor yourself --- Buy 2 cases of our energy drink monthly, ($136) +shipping and get your teammates to do the same and we will pay you! Stop buying the other stuff ( They don't pay you unless you're already on the podium! ) Buy ... Read More »

Ready for a energy drink?

I think I'm ready for some sort of energy/calorie drink to mix in my water for the 100-140 minute rides. my legs feel like rubber and energy just hits a wall around 115 minutes after going 100% the first 90 mins. I'm thinking hammer heed or something stronger?Read More »

Hydration pack with 2 bladders: one for water and 1 for energy drink

I have a bike without a place to put a bottle cage. I like riding with both water and energy drink. Is there a hydration pack with 2 reservoirs?Read More »

Hydration pack with 2 reservoirs: one for water and 1 for energy drink