Clif Shot Nutrition

3.53/5 (49 Reviews)

Clif Shot Energy Gel is a fast-acting, easy-to-digest energy gel with 24 grams of carbohydrates -- your body's preferred source of fuel during exercise. Within two to ten minutes, Shot's carbohydrates (both simple & complex) and electrolytes hits your bloodstream, working to sustain your overall endurance and coordination. One little packet packs a punch. Each Clif Shot has sodium, potassium, and magnesium -- electrolytes essential to helping you maintain hydration and allow your muscles to properly function. The Clif Shot Energy Gel 24 Pack comes in eight flavors -- Chocolate, Chocolate Cherry - Turbo, Citrus, Double Espresso - Turbo, Mocha, Razz Sorbet, Strawberry, and Vanilla. The two Turbo Clif Shot flavors each have 100mg of Caffeine -- about the equivalent to a cup and a half of coffee. Shot comes in a box of 24.

Submitted by Pedaldown a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, NV, USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2012

Strengths:    It tasted ok.

Weaknesses:    I think it is more me than the product, but the texture of the "gu" type products freaks me out. Tastes ok, but the texture is thick and my I would rather eat sand.

Bottom Line:
The taste was not bad, but the texture freaked me out. I might try some of the espresso flavored gels to see if I like them more.

Favorite Trail:   Cottonwood Canyon-Blue Diamond, NV

Purchased At:   Sports Chalet

Submitted by Jennifer a Cross Country Rider from Jamaica

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2009

Strengths:    organic, natural, great taste

Bottom Line:
it works

Purchased At:   Downtown bicycles

Submitted by Almaden Mike a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2008

Strengths:    This is for the Dbl Expresso flavor only: It tastes the best of any of the gooey stuff out there. The espresso in it really helps to cut down the insane sweetness that the other flavors/brands all have.

Weaknesses:    Unless you like a mouthful of epoxy, the texture still sucks

Bottom Line:
Of all the quick energy products out there, the Clif Dbl Expresso Shot is my favorite and the only goo style that I'll use. I's the only one that doesn't taste like diabetes in a tube.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Coe

Purchased At:   Sports Basement

Similar Products Used:   Power Gel, Gu, Other Clif Shot flavors

Bike Setup:   Fisher Tassajara, stock except for XT rear derailleur, WTB Pure V Seat, and Velociraptors

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Jersey City, NJ

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2007

Strengths:    Taste!!!! is there really anything else?

Bottom Line:
This is the best carb shot I've ever tried and will not really try anything else because these are so good

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rush XT/XTR

Submitted by Rob a Racer from Mesa, AZ

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2006

Strengths:    Taste

Bottom Line:
I like the taste of this more than the others, bottom line. I only use it on long training or races. On 1 1/2 hour or less rides I use just water.

Favorite Trail:   National--south mountain

Similar Products Used:   Hammer Gel, Gu-- lots of them

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth--set up good

Submitted by Kyle Michelson a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2004

Strengths:    It did what its supposed to do

Weaknesses:    Terrible taste, bad to the point of not being able to finish the entire thing due to gagging

Might give you diabetes

Bottom Line:
I'm surprised that so many people had good things to say about taste. I was at Pedro's fest when I picked up a free packet, and the first thing I noticed was that it actually tasted sweeter than pure honey (which is sickeningly sweet IMO), and the raspberry had too much of a chemical taste. But I was able to gag down most of it, and it worked well in combination with vita-water and this accelerae-type drink I had in my water bottle. I actually completed a 30 mile circuit that day in the mud, something I probably couldn't have done naturally, so it does seem to deliver what it advertises. Buy if you can handle excessive sweetness.

Purchased At:   free packets at Pedros's Fest

Submitted by Josh a Weekend Warrior from Middleburg, VA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2004

Strengths:    tastes great--at least the Razz Sorbet does. I've also used the Vanilla--good, but not as good as the Razz. They give you energy, so do what they are supposed to.

Weaknesses:    Texture is like grease. Texture weirded me out at first, but now I am used to it. Price. Get them on sale--got a 24 pack for $30, a different time I picked a 24 pack up on sale for $16--which I think should be the normal price.

Bottom Line:
These are the only product I have tried yet, so I can't compare them to others. These do seem to do the trick, though, as long as you can get past the sticky, grease-like texture. Water is necessary, escpecially with the Vanilla; the Razz isn't as bad. However,you will probably drink water when you break to suck one down, anyway, so it isn't a big deal. Give it a shot.

Favorite Trail:   Fountain Head

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Once tried a powerbar years ago--the most disgusting thing I ever put in my mouth!

Submitted by Ryan a Racer from WI

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2003

Strengths:    thiner than gu. Better taste than gu.

Weaknesses:    doesn't seem to work as fast as gu.

Bottom Line:
This product does what it says, but it dosen't seem to kick in for about 10 mins even with water. Gu is a little thicker but kicks in in about 2 mins with water. If you don't like one product or you want to see what else is avalible try Gu or Clif Shot. If you are actually in a race taking one every half hour will aid in a quicker recovery time.
Well I hope this helps.

Favorite Trail:   twisty ones

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   gu, powergel

Bike Setup:   scalpel

Submitted by Allison from Newfoundland

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2003

Strengths:    It's not made by powerbar

Weaknesses:    STICKY!

Bottom Line:
Yuck Yuck Yuck!! I thought i would like clif shot since clif bars are awesome,however, this is not the case. It tastes fine, but it's so sticky that I felt like my mouth was being glued together. Water helps. I prefer powergel, however, if you don't like the consistency of powergel (i seriously dont' mind it), try clif shot for yourself.

Purchased At:   Running Room

Similar Products Used:   powergel

Submitted by Gordon from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap, tastes alright, and works fast!

Weaknesses:    the taste is awful... but better than powergel.

Bottom Line:
The stuff is awesome, and i hear mixing them into 500mL of water makes it a decent sports drink (though i have a fear of trying that one). The stuff gets into your body really quick, escpecially when you feel like you're gonna just die. The instructions say one shot / 45 minutes... uh... i think that is if you only take water and clifshots only. I don't think i could stomach one every 45 min.

Favorite Trail:   anything fast.

Purchased At:   Running Room

Similar Products Used:   Powergel and other stuff i don't remember the name of

Bike Setup:   Spec Rockhopper '02 + mods

Submitted by FritzMan a Racer from Ottawa, Canad

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2003

Strengths:    Ease of consumption. Texture and taste (chocolate). Cool package design to keep lid and package as one piece - even when open. Works great.

Weaknesses:    Price?

Bottom Line:
Compared to the PowerGel I like the Clif Shot more. It's easier to empty the contents because of a larger opening, smaller size, and more liquid-like texture. Taste is great (like chocolate syrup).

I like the fact that there's an extra tab running from the lid to the package body. That way you can tear off the top, but it still remains attached to the package so you don't have to deal with two pieces.

I also have to say for me it appears to have a better energy kick than PowerGel.

Similar Products Used:   Powerbar PowerGel

Bike Setup:   Superlight, XMax wheel set, SRAM drivetrain, Raceface, Marathon fork, etc...

Submitted by colorado a Cross Country Rider from colorado

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2002

Strengths:    Easy going in, there are a few flavors. They give you plenty of nearly instant energy and all in all they do not taste that bad. plus they work!!

Weaknesses:    A little grimey. Could be a wee bit cheaper

Bottom Line:
This stuff is not that bad. It looks like sh*t (mocha) but tastes decent. I must say they work. I mean they cure the worst hang over even, and will get you on your back in no time. Trust me. On the trail they work, well but you need tons of water to get some of them down. The flavors are okay. Mocha is the worst texture wise. Vanillia, was a bad idea. The Rasberry is rather good and goes down pretty easy. I think there is one other, but I am not sure. Anywasy the bottom line is that they work. It is like a quick shot of energy. Take a few on any epic or long ride. Also do not follow package directions, every 45 min. Yeah right. You'll be throwing up cliff shot 1/2 way thru your ride.

Favorite Trail:   horse thief, fruita, et al

Purchased At:   King Soopers (Ralphs, Kroger)

Bike Setup:   trek fule 90

Submitted by JT from Arlington, VA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2002

Strengths:    Size ... taste ... ease of consumption ... cost.

Weaknesses:    None yet!

Bottom Line:
I love these things. They are really easy to eat, don't have any weird aftertaste, are cheap and work well. I agree that I'm not going to be downing 2 to 3 of these ever hour but I'll have one before, after and during a ride. I've also found the flavors to be good. The chocolate and vanilla have been very good and I'll be trying the Razz Sorbet soon enough. These have replaced my Clif Bars.