Clif Luna Bar Nutrition

4.63/5 (16 Reviews)

Natural, satisfying, and specifically formulated for women, the Luna Protein Bar 12-Pack will keep you going during vigorous activities. Indulge in this bar's chocolatey, nougaty goodness and benefit from its 12 grams of soy/whey protein, three grams of hunger-satisfying fiber, as well as its calcium, iron, folic acid, and vitamin D. Clif Bar Luna energy bars with just180 calories, contain 23 vitamins, minerals and other nutrientsThatcontributeTo a womans overall health. A whole-nutrition bar for women (great for menToo) Made with 70% organic ingredients 170-180 calories per bar 10g of protein NoTrans Fats 3g of Fiber 35% RDA Calcium 100% RDA Folic Acid

Submitted by JH a Racer from walnut creek, ca

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2010

Strengths:    Good tasting, convenient. Cheap.

Weaknesses:    Got sick from a Clif Bar while on the road, most likely spoiled in the sun, even though wrapped. Was violently sick, sat on the toilet for 1/2 hr. Never again.

Bottom Line:
Won't ever eat a Clif Bar again, some are bad, and can't take a chance on the trail in the middle of nowhere. I've eaten Clif Bars for years, and never had a problem. Luckily I was near a rest stop, and on the road, and not in the middle of Death Valley. Clif Bar said they're designed to withstand the heat and long hikes, and drives. Maybe so, maybe most are okay, but this one was bad.

Favorite Trail:   Death Valley...all of it.

Purchased At:   Traders

Bike Setup:   What the _ell is this??

Submitted by Blowout a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2006

Strengths:    Tastes great

Bottom Line:
These are by far the best tasting energy bars. The key lime pie, the dulce de leche, and the chai tea are my favorites. I just don't understand why they market this specifically to women. Everyone should be eating these. Why can't all bars taste like this?

Purchased At:   Store

Similar Products Used:   power bars, regular cliff bars, snickers, m&ms etc.

Bike Setup:   two wheels, saddle, bars, frame, pedals, chain, brakes

Submitted by Pete Hall a Racer from Michigan

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2003

Strengths:    YUM! also do what the are supposed to, provide energy.

Weaknesses:    nothing at all

Bottom Line:
These things are really good. They taste great, actually have some tecture(ahem powerbar), and provide energy. Try the Choclate Pepermint Stick, but aviod the Peanut Butter and Jelly, it's really salty.

Similar Products Used:   Powerbar(cant stand them), PowerBar Harvest (an improvment), Cliff Bars(the best brand overall), Balance Bar and Balance Bar Gold (Gold is like a snickers bar)

Submitted by Roscoe a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs, Colorado

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2002

Strengths:    Taste great; not overly filling; light on the stomach and in weight; lots of great flavors

Bottom Line:
This is the bar that has saved my butt on those long rides in the Moab desert and the Colorado Rockies. They taste great and don't feel like a brick going down. They do melt in a CamelBack, but that's a small issue. They provide energy and energy is the key to getting home.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim, Jones Park

Purchased At:   Any good local store

Similar Products Used:   ClifBar; PowerBars (Harvest is pretty good); Rx Protein; etc.

Bike Setup:   Does this really matter in a food review? Devinci Kingpin - nuf said...

Submitted by JT from Arlington, VA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2002

Strengths:    Taste (Some)
Size
Price
They look infinitely better than Clif Bars

Weaknesses:    Taste (the rest)
Meltable coating on the bottom of each bar
Marketing to women only

Bottom Line:
I love these things. Nutz Over Chocolate is my favorite. I've tried some of the others and they don't do much for me (especially the Chai Tea). They are easy to eat, don't require a bunch of water to dislodge them from the back of your throat and are cheap. Like others have said, don't throw them in your pack on a hot day ... the coating on the bottoms will melt and it is a real mess. I keep these things at home and at work and have one before or after a ride.

Similar Products Used:   PowerBar; Clif Bar; Clif Shot

Submitted by Don C. a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2002

Strengths:    Good taste / Right size

Weaknesses:    None noted.

Bottom Line:
This bar is not too big and tastes very good for what it is. I particularly like the Lemon Zest flavor. They're not just for woman... that's ridiculous. They're just downsized... which is perfect. IMHO there is no reason to be eating a big bar when riding the trails anyway. I keep it light.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Hodges

Purchased At:   Perfomance

Similar Products Used:   Power Bar and Clif Bar

Bike Setup:   Huh?

Submitted by Dawn cooper a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2001

Strengths:    It wasn't too filling
no stomach ache
didn't need to drink my wait worth in water
tastes good!

Bottom Line:
I'm just coming off serious injury and so I'm pretty out of shape. My first serious mountain bike ride (since my injury)involved more hills than I was ready for. I almost completely ran out of energy about 2 hours into the ride. My legs hurt so bad I could hardly walk my bike up the hill. Traditionally, I can't eat enough of a clif bar or power bar to provide me with enough energy to get home. Luna bars were light, they gave me no stomach ache and I didn't need to drink all of my water to help digestion. I got an energy boost about 30 minutes later and made it home. Great thing for people with smaller stomachs! And-most importantly, htey taste great.

Purchased At:   Squamish IGA

Similar Products Used:   cliff bars, and power bars

Bike Setup:   mountain bike

Submitted by Sue a Weekend Warrior from Canton, MI

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2001

Strengths:    * texture
* taste
* size

Weaknesses:    *package can be tough to open, but pre-slicing it prior to leaving the house has helped.

Bottom Line:
Great taste, great size, great flavors.

The LemonZest feels like a real pick-me-up, and the Chai tea has a ginger-cookie spiciness (ginger, clove, anise, cinnamon, cardamom) that reminds me of homemade cookies at Christmas. They've come out with some new flavors, so I'll be ordering these again!

My husband loves them as well - we buy it by the boxes full over the internet (prolithic.com).

Purchased At:   internet at prolithic.com

Similar Products Used:   CLIF, Balance, URwhatUEat

Bike Setup:   stock 2001 Lemond Zurich

Submitted by Alicia from Ann Arbor, MI USA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2001

Strengths:    Tastes great, Soy based with good source of protien, extra supplements that women need.

Weaknesses:    They melt and get messy

Bottom Line:
This is a great bar for both pre and post workout. It tastes great, and satisfies the need for a snickers. Just don't leave it in your hot car or in the sun, these bars melt and get really messy.

Favorite Trail:   Poto, Ft. Custer, Highland

Purchased At:   Kroger, bike shop, sports stores

Similar Products Used:   Clif Bar, PowerBar Harvest, Balance Bar

Bike Setup:   MTN: Bike #1--2001 Stock S-Works M-4--used for racing and training; Bike #2--old giant frame with Mars fork, xtr wheelset and parts, white brothers crank, avid archrival brakes. A good bike for free-riding
Road: 2000 Lemond Zurich w/Ultegra group.

Submitted by Erik Pearce a Racer from Madison

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2000

Strengths:    Oh So Yummmmy!!!

Weaknesses:    Smaller, and the 'just for women' thing

Bottom Line:
Move over rice crispy treats! Luna Bars are here!!! I love the taste!!! I usually use gels more often than bars. I may start eating more bars now! I'll bet they're a little messy on a hot day though, but OK for XC skiing?

I love the protein content, and fat percentage! Perfect ratio for those racing, and training hard!!! If I ever do an Eco-Challenge, I'll bring a small cooler along with a case of Luna Bars in it!

I've found them for right around a buck each, so that's pretty reasonable! Man OR woman, you'll enjoy these bars, and your body will thank you!

Favorite Trail:   Kettle Morraine

Similar Products Used:   Name a bar, I've tried it!

Submitted by Cat Canyon a Downhiller from Salt Lake City UT USA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2000

Strengths:    Less calories than the regular bars, for women who need fewer calories than men. More calcium (again good for women). Tasty as all get out (especially lemon zest). The chocolate ones are too chocolatey for me but that's probably a plus for most people. I love the rice krispy texture... Also no wheat or dairy content for those who are allergic. Has 100% of a lot of vitamins.

Weaknesses:    Kinda high in fat for me at around 20% per bar. I wish there were less fat and sugar content, but it's not too bad.

Bottom Line:
Best bar out there, for women or men. If you want more you can eat two for a slightly higher calorie intake than the average bar. Tasty, decent carb content, not too high in fat or sugar (still not perfect though). Great calcium content (35% RDA) and a reasonable amount of other vitamins.

Similar Products Used:   Power bar (yuck), Clif bar (pretty good)

Submitted by Cat Daver a Cross Country Rider from Richmond,VA,USA

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2000

Strengths:    Great taste and lots of nutrition packed in

Weaknesses:    None so far,wish it were larger thou

Bottom Line:
I got them on sale,thats why I tried them.I was very satisfied with the taste,I liked the Lemon(YUM) and Nutz over Chocolate(I am).A lot better than the Powerbar taste.Lots of good nutrition packed in for us women,recommend for anybody really.Wish it were bigger.Can't go wrong with this moon bar,tres bien.I've always thought clif bars expensive,at least where i live,compared to other bars.ON sale at Walgreens or CVS sometimes.

Favorite Trail:   Pocahontas

Similar Products Used:   Powerbars,Balance,tiger

Submitted by poptart a Cross-Country Rider from austin texas

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2000

Strengths:
yummy!

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
Luna Bars all have sort of a Rice Crispy Squares texture, which is really different from most of the bars out there. I like the Lemon and Nutz over Chocolate best. What makes them female specific is the extra calcium and folic acid. Don't worry guys, the only side effect may be a tendency to stop and ask for directions!

3 months

Clif Bars
Power Bars
PR Bars

IF deluxe

Submitted by gregv a Weekend Warrior from hampton , CT

Date Reviewed: October 12, 1999

Strengths:
TASTE , TASTE , TASTE

Weaknesses:
What's with the women thing??

Bottom Line:
...So , what , an I gona grow breast or something?? My wife gave me some of these to try and I loved them!. I don't even want to know if there not good for me. Whats with the women gettin the good stuff?? *L* I live on clff bars...,well sorta. I have a Choc-expresso for brekfast every morning. These Lunas are better tasting , but a bit on the light side. Kinda like a desert to the cliff bar meal. Note to CLIF...dump the for women thing and you'll sell a WHOLE lot more of these. I got rassed when my buddies caught me woofin one of these on the trail the other weekend............ hey, you know, I haven't needed a shave for the past week....! In all seriousness, I'll buy these by the case like I do my Clifs. They are that good. Try , and enjoy! Only four pepper, 'cause I think that they could be bigger. (and the women thing)

tested or demo'ed only

All clff bars, witch I live on! And all the other stuff too(ehh)

'98 Comp with lot'sa stuff

Submitted by Supernault a Weekend Warrior from Little Rock AR

Date Reviewed: September 23, 1999

Strengths:
Great taste!! Best I have tried. Highest protein I have found so far.

Weaknesses:
It is not big enough!

Bottom Line:
This is the best tasting bar out there and has a lot of stuff packed into it, I can't get enough!

less than 1 month

I have tried Powerbar, Harvest Bar, Cliff Bar, You are What you Eat.

Ad: Blacksheep Luna Vista and Ti Bar

Sad to do it but I have to let it go.. My loss is your gain .. [url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=66542&title=29er-blacksheep-luna-vista-with-faith-fork&cat=7[/url] [url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=66545&title=ti-blacksheep-loop-bar&cat=14[/ur ... Read More »

Paid Ad: Blacksheep Luna Vista and Ti bar

Peanut Butter Recall / Salmonella with Clif and Luna Bar Products

I just noticed that some Clif bar products, Luna Bar and Larabar are on the list :mad: My beloved peanut is also taking a hit in these hard economic times. Here is part of the list,,,,,,,, [B][B]"Golden Valley, Minn.-based General Mills said Monday afternoon that it was recalling two flavo ... Read More »