Carb Boom! Energy Gel Nutrition

4.44/5 (16 Reviews)

The Carb Boom Energy Gel Nutritional Supplement is made with real fruit for both short and long-term energy and is available in five unique flavors! Made with real fruit for both short and long-term energy.

Submitted by Wedge007 a Racer from Weymouth, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2008

Strengths:    I often have had trouble with the other product and my stomach and even with getting it down, as it is harder for me to even swallow their product" nasty"

Bottom Line:
Carb-BOOM is by far the most superior product on the market today. It has just the right amount of carbohydrates, tastes great and is easily digested even during the most grueling moments of a race.

Purchased At:   www.carbboom.com

Similar Products Used:   Gu, Hammer, Clif, E-Gel, Enervit, PowerGel,

Submitted by snyder a Cross Country Rider from Tucson

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2007

Strengths:    great flavors, works great, It always helps me add the miles on. I go nowhere with out it!!!! Run, Ride, or Hike

Weaknesses:    None that I have seen

Bottom Line:
I use no other!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Fantasy island

Similar Products Used:   Power gel, cluff shot, GU

Bike Setup:   Mountain 26 and 29er/Road

Submitted by mtnlyon from denver

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
These are the BEST! No caffeine like other brands. Bigger than GU and Cliff. Kiwi-strawberry is my favorite. Try them!

Similar Products Used:   GU, Cliff Shot

Submitted by Lisa a Racer from Minnetonka MN USA

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2004

Strengths:    easy to use, I tape it to my top tube. Easy to digest, no sick tummy. Love the flavors Strawberry Kiwi is my favorite.

Bottom Line:
I can feel the difference that Carb boom give me. 15 -20 minutes after consuming my "second wind" kicks in.

Favorite Trail:   the one my bike is on

Purchased At:   supplied by my team (per box)

Similar Products Used:   GU, Power Gel, most of the other gel products

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur, Sram XO shifter/derail, Shimano drive, Minute, Avid Mech disc Thompson seat, stem, Easton bar

Submitted by Shane a Racer from Savage, MN

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2004

Strengths:    TASTE, variety of flavors, digestability

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
After using about every gel out there over the last four years, Carb BOOM is by far the best gel around. The variety of flavors assures you of something you like. The fact that they use real fruit makes them taste very natural and not bitter, tart or chemical like. One of the big things I like is the consistency, on cold days you are not trying to squeeze a hard lump of gel into your mouth like other brands. They go down easy and don't leave your lips and mouth sticky like you just down some glue. My personal favorite is the Vanilla Orange with caffeine, mmmm. Over all this, the main thing is that I can actually feel it working. With the other gels I never really noticed a huge difference but with Carb BOOM it is definate. I would never consider do any ride, let alone 12 and 24 hour MTB enduracne events without this product!

Watch out for their newest recovery product Pro BOOM, I've tried it after a few long rides and I think you're going to be hearing quite a bit about it. All I can say is give it a try and you will be hooked!

Favorite Trail:   The Farm

Similar Products Used:   Clif Shot, Gu, Powergel, Hammer Gel

Submitted by Grizzly Adam a Racer from Eagan, MN

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2004

Strengths:    Great flavors. Nice consistency. Easy to open.

Weaknesses:    I go through them too fast!

Bottom Line:
I had the opportunity to try CarbBOOM this racing season and I've come to the conclusion that this is the best energy gel I have ever tried. I've been riding for a long time and tried just about all of the gels. Some were hard to swallow, hard to open or just didn't taste good. But the most common thing about all of the other gels was that I didn't notice anything. When I first tried CarbBOOM, 15 minutes later or so I knew it was working and I was hammering up hills when I should have been panting and gasping. I recently did a 12 hour race and almost exclusively consumed CarbBOOM Kiwi-Strawberry. I was climbing hills at the end of the 12 hours almost as fast as the beginning hour. The flask is fantastic. I'd for sure get one if you like this stuff. Fill it up and your good for several on-course hits that won't slow you down while you try to open the package.
The flavors taste wonderful. The apple-cinnamon is great. The vanilla-orange reminds me of orange-cream.
This is one product that I will not ride without.

Favorite Trail:   The Farm

Purchased At:   www.carbbom.com

Similar Products Used:   GU, Power gel, Hammer Gel, etc.

Bike Setup:   2001 Bianchi Grizzly

Submitted by zach a Racer from port hope,on,canada

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2003

Strengths:    good taste lots of carbs some electrolytes

Bottom Line:
good gel with a good taste

Favorite Trail:   hard wood hills

Purchased At:   proform cycle

Similar Products Used:   power gel,clif shot,hammer gel

Bike Setup:   2003 giant xtc se 2, time atac pedals,michelin jet s tires,carbon bars and seat post

Submitted by cs a Weekend Warrior from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
Taste terrible. I prefer powerbar powergels.

Purchased At:   lbs

Submitted by Thomas Clark from chandler,az

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2002

Strengths:    great taste, easy to get down, doesn't come back up !

Weaknesses:    needs bigger packaging

Bottom Line:
I did a complete test of all products/all flavors recently. Used them under different situations (long rides, hard rides, trail runs) to see what worked the best and hands down, Carb-BOOM smoked the others. I was skeptical at first of this new product, but now I use nothing else.

They have 4 flavors- Banana peach (very mild), Strawberry Kiwi (smooth and clean), Apple cinnamon (wow ! amazing taste) and Vanilla orange (double caffeine and damn good too).

Besides the taste and consistency of the product, I also like the ingredients- clean and natural. They dont add any vitamins and other junk that you don't need during exercise. The main energy comes from maltodextrin (like the others), and the flavoring is real fruit (concentrates and purees), not food flavoring like the others.

BOTTOM LINE -> best gel on the market.

Similar Products Used:   gu, hammer gel, clifshot, powergel, leppin.

Submitted by Blake a Cross Country Rider from Oklahoma

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2002

Strengths:    it is a gel

Weaknesses:    tastes bad( has medicine twang to it) and is alittle too liquidy for easy eating while rideing

Bottom Line:
i perfer powerbar gels becauce they have the best taste and consistancy, along with to me one of the best energy aids. ( i like the straberry banana and would recomend staying away from the lime and green apple(too tart and tangy to be enjoyed while exerting yourself)

Purchased At:   free at race

Similar Products Used:   power gel, gu gel, clif shots

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2002

Strengths:    Tastes NOT like garbage, more per package, more flavors WITHOUT caf.

Bottom Line:
I would wager that most of these "goop shots" as I call them give you roughly the same thing - carbs that are easily digested. Yeah yeah, some have "secret" vitamin mixtures.. oh brother.. SCAM! It all boils down to which one goes down easiest and causes your stomach the least grief. For me, Carb Boom fills the order. Easier to dodge the caf. as three flavors dont have it and only one does.

Purchased At:   Slough's

Similar Products Used:   Gu, Power steering fluid.. I mean Gel

Submitted by stock a Cross Country Rider from west coast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2002

Strengths:    TASTE! TASTE! TASTE!

Weaknesses:    NONE! NONE! NONE!

Bottom Line:
I use gels for long mtb rides and road bike centuries -- and these things really fit the bill. Great taste and no chemicals or extra crap. Use these for a month and you won't be able to stomach any of the others ever again. Seriously, they taste clean and simple -- not like some toxic factory in the middle of Minnesota. I mean, have you ever tried the PowerGel -- we're talking vomit -- just what you need when you're dying on the trail/road. And most of the Clif Shots aren't any better. Clif's Sonic Strawberry tastes like diesel fuel. And bad diesel fuel at that.

GU is acceptable -- depending on which flavor. Decide to try one of their goofy fruity flavors and trust me, you'll be looking for an airplane sickness bag. (Another use for your Camelbak?)

This company needs better advertising and better exposure. If more people knew about them -- they'd switch. I don't know anyone who hasn't stolen one of mine and then headed to www.carbboom.com to find some of their own.

(And no, I don't work for them. I just like the product.)

Favorite Trail:   backbone

Purchased At:   triathlete zombies

Similar Products Used:   All of 'em. GU, Power, Clif, etc.

Bike Setup:   GT I-Drive Team.
Cannondale R800.

Submitted by Maggie a Cross Country Rider from Doylestown,PA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2001

Strengths:    Taste, taste and taste ! Finally a double caffeinated gel that doesn't have any caffeine bite. None of the "gag factor" of powergel, gu or that super sugary clif shot.

Bottom Line:
After suffering through all the other gels, I have found carb-BOOM to be a superior product. They taste better and are not as thick or sugary as other gels. I have loved the apple cinnamon flavor, which tastes just like an apple pie, for the past year, but now I have a new favorite. I used a packet their new Vanilla Orange last week- wow !

The double caffeine caught my eye- (50 mg in each packet). It is so good - reminded me of a those 50-50 ice cream bars. Anyway, this gel is easy to get down and gave me the boost I need to finish my long ride.

Funny story- my friend who absolutely will not take energy gels (said they were horrible) was riding with me and bonked badly. I convinced her to try just a little of the apple flavor- she tasted a little bit, gave a thumbs up and then took the whole packet. We made it home fine and she went right out and bought a box of the stuff !

They offer a nice variety of flavors, strawberry kiwi, banana peach, apple cinnamon and vanilla orange. The label of ingredients indicates that they use real fruit in the product, not food flavorings which is a plus. Carbboom also has the lowest amount of simple sugars than the other gels, and the same number of calories/carbohydrates as the other gels.

Bottom line- a great energy gel that works.