Balanced Audio Technology Bar Nutrition

4.15/5 (27 Reviews)

Balance Bar

Submitted by chaseconnely a Racer from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2011

Strengths:    Tastes good

Weaknesses:    SUGAR OVERLOAD!!!

Bottom Line:
I wouldnt reccommend these bars. There was way too much sugar..not even a natural sugar, but straight up white sugar. Way too much. It's just a candy bar. Tastes good though!

Purchased At:   HEB

Submitted by NutsandBolts a Cross Country Rider from Saginaw,Tx,USA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2005

Strengths:    Easy to chew. Tastes good. Provides a decent amount of energy during recovery. Buy em at wholesale place and they are less than a buck, 12 for 10 dollars.

Weaknesses:    None really

Bottom Line:
These seem to work better after riding during recovery. They tatse good and they wont break your teeth. All of the flavors are good, but most of all I do not get sick at my stomach when I eat these. I do not feel the need to drink so much water with these to digest them which is a plus if you are on a long ride trying to conserve all your resourses. All in all I would say these work pretty good.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere there is dirt

Purchased At:   Sams Wholesale

Similar Products Used:   Powerpoo,Powergel and Gu

Bike Setup:   It dont have a motor, so Its setup great.

Submitted by Shelly a Cross Country Rider from Lexington, KY USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2002

Strengths:    40-30-30 nutrition, NO HYDROGENATED FATS, tastes better than any other nutrition bar I have had

Weaknesses:    The texture on some could be a little better, need a lot to drink with some

Bottom Line:
I don't think you can get a better nutrition bar for $1. I have seen so many nutrition bars labeled with big promises, and have had a hard time finding good nutrition bars that don't contain hydrogenated fats. If you like eating the equivalent of LARD in your nutrition bars, go ahead and get a Luna or something else. As for me, I will stick with a non-artery clogging, balanced bar.

Purchased At:   grocery stores

Similar Products Used:   Various others

Bike Setup:   2002 GF Tassajara

Submitted by Mountain Man a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2001

Strengths:    See my previous review.

Weaknesses:    — High cost.
— Not enough carbs, too much fat, not enough protein.
— Melt in heat.
— TOO MUCH SUGAR.

Bottom Line:
My experience at Fontaine Sport & Cycle today was a mixed one. At first, it was joyous, as I had just purchased my Speedplay Frog pedals and was about to install them and the cleats. But then, I got a cramping in my stomach: "no...", I thought, "I just went this morning! All I've eaten since is a Balance Bar!" But I did indeed have to go. Very badly. "Hey, Steve", I called the mechanic, "Where's the washroom?" He said, "through there and to your left." Twenty minutes later, I returned, and said to Steve: "I have some advice: never eat a Balance Bar. It's really not agreeing with my stomach." Steve let out a chuckle and told me about the time a Balance Bar left him puking at the 24 Hours of Adrenalin. "Sure, eating a Balance Bar is like eating a meal, it has so many vitamins. But they're way too sugary."
And they are. I checked the ingredients, the first one is glucose-fructose, and a few ingredients later is plain sugar.

Nutritional bars are meant to be NUTRITIONAL, not just good tasting. Cut down on the sugar, beef up the carbs and protein, and cut a couple grams of fat away because fat is mostly used at very low efforts. Balance bars may be good for lasting energy at lower efforts, like an endurance race, but damn, accumulate enough lactic acid (like when you're sprinting to get out of the way of a blonde-driven GMC Suburban), and these things will play havoc with your stomach.

This is coming from a guy with a very tough stomach. I can eat the spiciest foods (cayenne and jalapeno pepper-infused chicken breast smothered in Wicked Gourmet five pepper hot sauce and Tabasco sauce), with no burning or pains whatsoever. I can consume the most potent alcohol (1/4 bottle of 40% Smirnoff Vodka with two Coors and a Rev cooler), and even though I can hardly walk straight, I don't spill my lunch all over the ground. But today, I was defeated by a 50g Balance Bar. I guess I simply don't like sugar! Out with Balance Bars, in with Clif Bars!

Favorite Trail:   Bird Sanctuary

Purchased At:   General Nutrition Centre

Similar Products Used:   Powerbar, others

Bike Setup:   '00 Schwinn Moab 1, upgraded

Submitted by Mountain Man a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2001

Strengths:    — Tastes better than anything else (except a big, juicy steak.) Note: I've only tried the Yogurt Honey Peanut flavour.
— Contains more vitamins than I knew existed.
— The balance of carbs/protein/fat makes for long lasting energy.
— Blow Powerbars and other imitation nutritional bars right out of the water.

Weaknesses:    — Obscenely expensive. ($3 CDN PER BAR!!!)
— I'd prefer more carbs, less fat.
— Coating could melt in severe heat.

Bottom Line:
Balance bars are the greatest tasting "energy bars" on the planet. Despite this, they have their drawbacks. I'd rather more carbs (these bars only contain 22grams per bar, while Clif bars contain 43grams.)

Although I've never taken these bars out on a ride (I eat them before a ride and drink Gatorade for energy), I could see the bar becoming a gooey mess in heat.

I haven't had any problems with Balance bars being dry. All the bars I've tasted have been soft and delicious. Perhaps the reviewers below store the bars in extreme temperature?

I have an incredibly slow metabolism... I only need two meals per day. After eating a Balance bar around 4:00, I'm fine until the next morning. The 40-30-30 mix is made for long lasting energy, so this is a great bar for training. For races, however, I'd prescribe a Clif bar (no melting, more carbs.)

3 flamin' chilis for value (regularly eating these bars gets very expensive!), 4 overall.

Favorite Trail:   Two Creeks

Purchased At:   General Nutrition Centre

Similar Products Used:   Powerbar (worst thing I have EVER tasted)

Bike Setup:   '00 Schwinn Moab 1, Thomson, Syncros, blah blah blah.

Submitted by Nick a Cross Country Rider from Tempe, AZ

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2001

Strengths:    Decent taste, some are even really good. Small size makes them easy to steal, thus countering the disadvantage of the high cost. (sarcasm.)

Weaknesses:    They're vitamin-fortified candy bars. I have an insanely fast metabolism- I can eat a full meal and be hungry in an hour and a half- so I notice what energy bars are doing to my body. Clif bars keep me in action for an hour; these things leave me feeling sweaty and sugar-rushed.

Bottom Line:
Eat a banana and save yourself a dollar and a half. These things have far too much sugar and not nearly enough complex carbs, leaving me feeling all gross and sugar-buzzed. Not good in the Arizona heat. If you live someplace cold you might like the sugar more, but my metabolism isn't working to keep me warm around here. If you must have an energy bar eat a Clif. They're delicious.

Similar Products Used:   Clif, 151, You Are What You Eat, MetRX, Powerbar, Powerbar Harvest, most everything else

Bike Setup:   Azonic DS1, Manitou SXR, XT drivetrain, yadda yadda

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2001

Strengths:    Taste and vitamin content.

Weaknesses:    Low protein, inconsistent quality, high price for size. The retail is $1.50. ALWAYS BUY IN PERSON AND SQUEEZE EACH BAR. Otherwise you might get a box of very dry bars. DO NOT BUY HARD BARS YOU MIGHT AS WELL EAT CHALK.

Bottom Line:
I prefer the chocolate flavor and variants. The moist ones are better than candy but the dry ones are just awful. I have no idea why so many bad batches get thru - Balance QC really sucks. Use the procedure described above when purchasing. Contains canola oil--ppl w/bad hearts should avoid. Wait for sales ($0.99 ea.) and watch for bad batches of hard tough bars.

Purchased At:   Local Supermarket

Similar Products Used:   Metrx fudge brownie is better for heavy workouts and is quite good.

Bike Setup:   GT aluminum hardtail, stock

Submitted by Sue a Weekend Warrior from Canton, MI

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2001

Strengths:    not sure yet

Weaknesses:    they make me gag

Bottom Line:
These bars are so dense and chalky, they make me gag. I ordered a box of them. I tried one, and my husband was stuck eating the rest of them.

Sorry - I'm sticking to my Luna bars and URwhatUeat.

Purchased At:   over the internet

Similar Products Used:   CLIF, Luna, URwhatUEat

Bike Setup:   2001 Lemond Zurich

Submitted by Rod Angler a Weekend Warrior from nola

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2000

Strengths:    Numerous flavors, all taste pretty OK (hey, these nutrition bars are a compromise in the first place).

Seem to keep my blood sugar under control, not too high or low, given the balance of protein, fat, and sugar.

Weaknesses:    none, just price.

Bottom Line:
An honest product that strikes a good balance of carbs, protein, fats. Good for leveling out blood sugar levels. You'll find one or more flavors you can tolerate.

(Chocolate Banana, peanut butter, and almond crunch my favs)

Favorite Trail:   hooper

Similar Products Used:   a bunch

Submitted by Bobby from Middlebury, CT

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2000

Strengths:    taste, have enough vitamins to make a meal out of one

Weaknesses:    variety pack has poor choice of bars that are in it

Bottom Line:
Easier to eat than powerbars which are too chewy and taste pretty bad. These bars taste so good, especially the chocolate rasperery fudge and the chocolate banana ones. The only thing is that in the variety pack, there aren't any chocolate banana ones. They have 4 chocolate, 4 yogurt honey peanut (those are really good too), 4 almond brownie, and only 3 chocolate rasperry fudge. Whats up with that!!!

Similar Products Used:   Powerbar, Clif Bar

Submitted by me a Racer from here & there

Date Reviewed: December 16, 1999

Strengths:
Great for a recovery, very nutritional

Weaknesses:
texture, melts in heat

Bottom Line:
Very tasty little bar. The texture is a little funny, but is great after a ride. Filled with vitamins and has protein which helps muscle recovery. Easy to chew and swallow. If the could just work on the texture it would be great.

the one on dirt

2 Years

Clif, power bar, Met-Rx bars, ect...

Procaliber, Carbon SX

Submitted by James Doanes a Weekend Warrior from Westy, CO USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 1999

Strengths:
No real strengths

Weaknesses:
No real weaknesses

Bottom Line:
This is truly a middle ground bar. Taste is okay, price is okay, rigidity in cooler climates is okay. But unlike the Clif or Steel Bars, this one is just okay. Maybe a change in formula or something would make it a great bar.

6 months

Clif, Steel, Tiger's Milk, etc.

Submitted by rick a Cross-Country Rider from arlington, va

Date Reviewed: July 26, 1999

Strengths:
taste, general goodness

Weaknesses:
none i know of

Bottom Line:
These are my favorite all-purpose bars. Enough protein and calories to keep you going and speed recovery, and the peanut butter ones taste good. I usually munch one of these before every workout, on the bike or in the gym, and it has helped immensely. They also have them at Costco, which is a bonus.

3 months

ironman, clif bar, ProMax, Powerbar

Submitted by Joe a Racer from Barberton, OH

Date Reviewed: July 11, 1999

Strengths:
They are the best, the absolute best. I cannot describe how good they taste and the incredible amount of energy they give me.

Weaknesses:
What? These things have no weaknesses, I mean none, they are the absolute best and I don't see why any bike shops would stock anything else.

Bottom Line:
These are the absolute best. I bought a 15 bar case of Mocha and a case of Honey Peanut and I had one of the Mocha bars about 20-30 mins before a race. In the race I had mechanical problems which lose time, but after I got it sorted out I felt absolutely explosive-and after the race, instead of sitting on the ground with my legs burning and gulping water as fast as I can shove it down, I rode around a little bit to cool down! Absolutely amazing. Both flavors I tried are absolutely great, too. The honey peanut is like a chocolate covered candy bar, and the Mocha is awesome tasting. These are great, but just don't give any to your opponents!
Joe

Vulture's Knob

less than 1 month

Power Bar
Clif Bars

I usually use these in my big mouth, which has white teeth and a red tongue.

Submitted by John L. a Weekend Warrior from Camp Hill, PA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 1999

Strengths:
Good taste, decent mix of protein and carbs

Weaknesses:
Maybe a little too sweet. Certainly too addictive, I no longer buy them by the case.

Bottom Line:
I was searching for a snack without tons of carbs and with some protein (I have to watch carbs for health reasons). Balance Bar is the ONLY one that came close to keeping carbs below 30 grams. I also like the relatively high amount of (mostly soy) protein included, along with reasonable fat levels and vitamin supplements. The only problem is that they taste too good, so I have to buy them one or two at a time. For heavy cranking, I tend to rely more on gorp or bananas, though, since I'm going to burn off the carbs anyway.

Stoney Creek

1 Year

Power Bar, The Zone, whatever

Tried attaching hydraulic disks, kept falling off bar.

New 710mm Jeff Jones Loop H-bar

thought this may interest some. I've ridden the original Loop H-bar and coming from a 750mm bar thought they were way to narrow, but like the concept, so may have to give these a try. [img]http://www.jonesbikes.com/components/com_wordpress/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/alum-Loop-black-710mm-1024 ... Read More »

Jeff Jones/Surly collaboration 710mm Loop H-Bar

I wonder what bikes Surly will be spec'ing these on? :confused: Full article below... [img]http://www.jonesbikes.com/components/com_wordpress/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/alum-Loop-black-710mm-1024x443.jpg[/img] More and more people are discovering that the Jones Loop H-Bar is very versat ... Read More »

bar end lights - is there any point ?

i don't think i see the point in these lights - is there ? if i was going to get some for my MTB it would probably be these ( Trek Beacon ) : [url]http://revolutioncycles.com/images/library/large/trek_402908_08_m.jpg[/url] because they're designed for MTB bar ( LED aimed sideways instead of ... Read More »

Bar end lights / blinkers

I just bought bar end lights to enhance my night riding visibility. I saw these when I rode with a friend who has a set during one night ride. I was amazed at the complete profile of the bike can be seen even from afar. It's like navigational lights for boats. Drivers can see exactly where the bike' ... Read More »

New jones loop bar 710mm

As per title - linky [url]http://www.jonesbikes.com/?option=co...3107&Itemid=58[/url] [img]http://www.jonesbikes.com/components/com_wordpress/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Loop-710mm.jpg[/img] Looks pretty wide Preordered!Read More »