White Lightning Raceday Lube

3.4/5 (47 Reviews)

The ultra performance lubricant for "A day at the races".

Submitted by Gwidon a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2007

Strengths:    It is clean

Weaknesses:    Hmm... Doesn't work AT ALL?

Bottom Line:
When it's cold, you can't apply it because it doesn't lube the chainlinks and cloggs up the nozzle of the bottle. When it's warmed up, it spurts all over the place and is hard to clean off from everywhere except where it's supposed to stay. And yes - I did follow the instructions - everything was thoroughly degreased, and I mean THOROUGHLY (I spent a few hours making sure everything was clean). There was not a grain of dirt in the chain either. Still, the lube lasts about 30 minutes - can't say for sure because it takes me 40 minutes to get to work and it's already gone when I get there. Even when I reapply after every single ride, after a week the whole chain (and I mean EVERY SINGLE BLOODY CHAINLINK) is rusty, and so are the cogs. The only place where it actually stays put is between the cogs. But it doesn't seem to prevent rust anyway. The whole bottle of this junk lasted 2 weeks. There is no way I'm buying another one - I want my bike to last a little longer.

Similar Products Used:   FL cross country

Submitted by Bikerdom a Cross Country Rider from NH

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2005

Strengths:    Great winter lube. Clean.

Weaknesses:    Needs to be kept warm(indoors) or won't mix properly.

Bottom Line:
Great winter bike lube if properly applied. Must be kept shaken and warm or clotting will occur at nozzle tip while applying. My bikes and lubes are serviced & stored in heated indoors so this isn't really an issue to this user.
I ride all winter in New England and this lube has served me well. It's a little thin for my taste in the summer so I use Pedro's. I don't have shifting or excessive wear issues when using Race Day and my drive train stays clean of ice ups and rust.
It's October 25th and we just had our first ice storm so it's time to break out the Race Day. Soon the Nokian studded tyres.

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm on

Purchased At:   by the quart online

Similar Products Used:   Pedro's Ice wax(summer use)& extra dry, Finish Line teflon plus, TriFlo, many others over the years.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain ETSX70 SRAM XO & XTR drive train, XTR/Mavic wheelset, RockShox REBA Team & Fox Float RL suspension, Easton seatpost bar & stem, WTB98 ti saddle, IRC Mythos & Notos tyres

Submitted by Erik a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2004

Strengths:    More water-resistant than orginal WL

Weaknesses:    If chilled, even if this is before you buy it, it will precipitate out a lot of solids, which will clog the nozzle and, presumably, never have the chance to bond onto the surface of your chain.

Bottom Line:
Yack. Not worth it. The precipitation of the solids is common and compormises the product. Regular WL is much more effective compared to Race Day, after the Race Day loses its suspended solids.

Similar Products Used:   White Lightning, Finish Line Dry, Pedros Ice Wax, Tri-Flow, Pro-Link, Rock-n-roll

Submitted by mark wilson a Cross Country Rider from plymouth, mn

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2003

Strengths:    CLEAN!and keeps chain clean and lubed for maximum performance. If directions are followed this works well in most conditions.

Weaknesses:    Temperature sensitive. Can cause build up on chain rings and cogs.

Bottom Line:
I agree with the previous posting that chain lube pretty much needs to be applied everytime you ride unless you use the wetlubes and then everything is filthy from the crud they collect. This runs clean and shifts smooth if you clean off the excess. In colder weathe it congeals and doesn't work well so I switch in the winter. It's a great all around lube except in colder weather.

Favorite Trail:   f trail rodalben germany

Purchased At:   AAFES

Similar Products Used:   pedros, kryotech, tri flow, phil tenacions,

Bike Setup:   two both with chains

Submitted by Art a Cross Country Rider from Palo Alto, CA

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2003

Strengths:    It is much cleaner than oil based products.

Weaknesses:    Really needs to be reapplied after each ride for best results.

Bottom Line:
Works for me! The clogging problem can usually be solved by heating before application - hot water or your back pocket work just fine. Keeping it in a warm place (in the house, not out in the carport) seems to minimize the clotting. If you get a really gunky bottle, leave the top off til it evaporates and gets REALLY gunky -- then it stays put on pedals and such without dripping off before it can dry. Am using it on Eggbeaters and Speedplay roads that way.

My only problem was major chain suck after a whole day of riding in heavy rain - the chain was completely clean. Take the bottle if you're going out for a long ride in the rain.

Purchased At:   various places

Similar Products Used:   Original WL

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Moab, Giant NRS

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2003

Strengths:    Very clean, easy to apply, easy to remove.

Weaknesses:    Very volatile petroleum distillate solvent base - don't leave this stuff in your trunk on a hot day.

Bottom Line:
First of all, anyone with any experience realizes that chains need to be lubricated EVERY RIDE to maximize shifting response and smoothness. The benefit of this lube is that it's durable over many miles of dirty riding, doesn't attract much debris, and is easily removed with soap and water. If you can't readily remove your chain, you need to get a Wipperman Connex or SRAM chain (Wipperman is much easier) so that you can soak your chain in solvent or soap and water to toally clean it. An added benefit is that your chain stays "clean" with this lube - no more black sh*t on your right leg.

Similar Products Used:   Everything from motor oil to WD40 and numerous bike specific lubes.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyll, all XTR, Hayes HFX-9 hydros, Fox RL, Lefty 100mm, Wipperman stainless chain.

Submitted by Ryan Roach a Cross Country Rider from Long Island NY

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2003

Strengths:    Well it's cheap, and... and... and... uh I think thats it, wait did I say it was cheap oh yeah I did I forgot while I was thinking or a strength for this stuff.

Weaknesses:    It's a wax lube need I say more, The bottle is a pain and it clogs ALL THE TIME EVERY TIME I USED IT, it made a big mess out of my drive train and after using a toothbrush and some Finishline Ecotech and a chain cleaner I got this junk off, made my drive train sound like some one was eating cornflakes in it you know the sound if you've used this stuff CRUNCH...SQUEAK...CRUNCH...SQUEAK, and to top it all off it atracks dirt and you have to have a clean dry dive train to apply this junk I think thats it for ths column!

Bottom Line:
I HATE WAX LUBES AND WILL NEVER TRY IT AGAIN!!! This stuff is junk all the people who told me they use wax and love it is crazy. This crap made a waxy mess out of my drivetrain and cost me about an entire bottle of Ecotech just to get it off! It atracted dirt worse than an oil based lube in dry conditions and then they tell you you have to have a clean drive train to apply this stuff. Who's the retard who invented this stuff he must have spent more time cleaning his bike than riding it Damn. Yes I followed the instructions I cleaned my drivetrain and then apllied it and allowed it to dry (overnight) before using the bike. Thank god someone invented Rock N Roll lube for wet conditions because if they didn't I'd have to use oil based lubes again during the rainy season here. As for wax lubes the next time I want wax I'll buy a candle and drip some of that in my drivetrain instead of this crap. I'll give it two chil's for value due to it's cheap (it's only stength) but this stuff is some of the worst excuse for a lube I've seen so far. I've used Finishline dry teflon for more than three years and if wasn't for the fact that it doesn't work well in wet conditions I would never had the displeasure of trying this hot flaming piece of garbage, Wet lube my a$$ PEACE!

Favorite Trail:   If it's got dirt I ride it!

Similar Products Used:   Finishline Dry Teflon lube, Rock N Roll Extreme, 3 in 1 Houshold oil

Bike Setup:   02 Specialized StumJumper FSR XC

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2002

Strengths:    It rocks! Very clean running, nice and quiet drive-train

Weaknesses:    Does'nt last so long, but good even for 40km rides.

Bottom Line:
super easy to apply, super easy to clean, just pour boiling water over the chain (not getting any on bottom bracket, tyres etc) and your done! no messy degreasers, better for the environment too. As for all those having trouble with blocking nozels, just put the jug on, make a cup of coffee (is there a better drink in the world?) and put your lube in another cup with boiling water. Once your coffee's finished, all the wax in the raceday is melted, and it runs on like water, no need to ream out the nozzle. Bottom line, this stuffs the s*#t! Sure you need to re-apply after nearly every ride, but you won't find another lube that runs so clean, no matter what the ride, or is so easy to clean off the chain and cogs,

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine rim!

Purchased At:   9.00

Similar Products Used:   whitelightning, FL wax lube, FL cross-country

Bike Setup:   Marin Rift-Zone, XT-LX, Mavic D321 rims, Tioga 2.1DH tyres, Kore stem, risers, Hope C2 hydro discs, 8inch up front (the best brakes ever made)

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Nova Scotia

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2002

Strengths:    Very clean lube. Much cleaner than any wet lube.
Long lasting

Weaknesses:    Hard to get out of the bottle - but I have the solution (read on)!
Doesn't last as long as a wet lube in mud or winter conditions.

Bottom Line:
Here is how to get it to flow out of the bottle (very annoying problem):

-pop off the nozzle and squirt a good amount of solvent (acetone works well for me) in there to dissolve the wax chunks. Put a ball bearing in there while you're at it (so you can mix it like a can of spray paint). This worked well for me, and the lube just as well (the acetone evaporates a couple seconds after application). Just dont smoke while applying it!

I'm a big fan of this lube. I used the original WL when it came out. That stuff is good too, but you have to relube often (especially in mud). Raceday is essentially original WL with some oil added, which makes it a better solution for wet places - though it will still come off in heavy mud.

Once you get it out of the bottle it works great, keeps the chain very clean (slightly more buildup than original WL). It will easy last for 5+ hours of good riding.

I bought into the "hype" around prolink when it came out, and bought it directly from the company. It doesn't work as well as WL raceday. Its dirtier (no self cleaning), and doesn't last as long (mud easily kills it). Though it may work well for drier conditions

I'm still looking for a lube last can last longer than this. The only possible contender is the rock n' roll lube or the old boeshield (haven't tried them yet).

I've tested the folowing lubes, (from worst to best):
-icewax
-FL krytech
-prolink
-FL cross country (great wet lube - but too dirty)
-original white lightning
-white lightning raceday.

It seems most people hate this stuff because its so hard to get out of the damn bottle (I agree that its a big flaw). Hopefully my little tip helps a few people.

Similar Products Used:   Finish line krytech, cross country, original white lightning ice wax, prolink, etc.

Bike Setup:   99 explosif, good component mix.

Submitted by Brian Crawford a Racer from Newcastle, NSW, Aust

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2002

Strengths:    Very good lube
used racing in mud, rain (there is a difference), dust and long rides.
great lube

Weaknesses:    IT DOESN'T COME OUT!!!

Bottom Line:
WL have used the same bottle as the regular stuff. RD is gritty and very hard to get out of the bottle.
I had my best success using precision screw drivers cause they get incrementaly bigger.
I've just learnt to pull the top out, and widen the hole from the inside.
Its great stuff when on the chain

Favorite Trail:   single trail racing