White Lightning Lube Lube

3.87/5 (160 Reviews)

Recently chemists and cyclists hunkered down inThe lab and wentTo work.The result is a durable self-cleaning lubeThat will not build-up inThe cassette, derailleur pulleys, or links of a chain. Forget G3 & G4! Theyve gone backTo basics, and quite literally perfectedThe Original White Lightning formula.The best selling lubricant inThe USA in each ofThe lastThree years now features a new mix of base waxes for improved shedding action and long lasting lubricity. Look forThe word ORIGINAL onTop

Submitted by Kyle a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Wears off easily and requires frequent application

Bottom Line:
Bought this product in an attempt to save money and got what I paid for. For a light rider (less than 20 miles a week) this stuff is a good investment, but if your doing 80 miles a week or more invest in a better lube such as "Boeshield T-9". Not a bad product but seemingly not intended for serious riders.

Purchased At:   Wal Mart

Similar Products Used:   Boeshield T-9

Bike Setup:   Stock "GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc"

Submitted by Stackedhippiechick

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2012

Strengths:    does not attract dirt, promotes long chain life

Weaknesses:    must begin use with a clean like brand new drive train

Bottom Line:
I live in Arizona where it is dry and dusty. Needless to say, this stuff fits the bill for our condtions. Prior to use I removed my chain and soaked it in Pedros citrus degreaser overnight. Then, I cleaned the cassette and crankset so they were both like brand new. Or if your lucky enough to start using it the day you buy your bike brand new.That is really the secret to this lube. If you don't want to take the time to complete this process than you might as well stick with tri-flow or A.T.B red lube. I relube with White Lightning clean ride every 100-150 miles. Also don't forget if you live in a wetter climate you should use White Lightning "Wet" not the clean ride. Then there is White Lightning "Epic" which is kinda a cross between the two. So remember to choose the right lube based on your conditions. I use it on both my MTB and road bike and are pleased with the results.

Submitted by Bill a Weekend Warrior from jtown, tn

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2011

Strengths:    Cleans well. DOES NOT ATTRACT much of anything.

Weaknesses:    So far, none

Bottom Line:
The best thing about this is it does not attract junk to the chain. Chain stays cleaner longer.
It is relatively inexpensive. Seems like you will run out of it fast, but you won't need to clean you chain in a very long time again.

Purchased At:   Wal friggen Mart

Bike Setup:   ROAD BIKE

Submitted by Ecogeek a Cross Country Rider from Canadian Rockies

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2010

Strengths:    Does keep chain cleaner than wet lube.

Weaknesses:    Only good for short rides in the dry.

Bottom Line:
When I ran out of Finish Line, I tried this cos that's what they had in the local store. This is not as good as the FL IMO.
It is ok for rides of 20km or less in the absolute dry.
Any mud or muddy water gets near your chain and this stuff is gone in a flash. Your chain will squeak it is so dry.
I did 50km yesterday and the chain was squeaking for most of it. I relube thoroughly after every ride. You have to put this on after a ride and let it dry before riding. So you cannot just put a bit more on during a ride. You have to wait for it to dry.
If there is even one mud-hole on the trail you intend to ride, you need another lube imo. I liked the Finish Line wax better. It is not perfect, but it is better than the Clean Ride. Seems to last a little longer and tolerate mud slightly better. Also doesn't leave white splatters everywhere during application.
Most of the lube that stays on the drive train seems to end up on the rear DL pulleys. Nothing new there I suppose.
I have had two bottles of White Lightning including the large size. The juice comes out of the large bottle pretty fast and is sure to make a mess. But it is much cheaper per lube-unit to buy the larger bottle.
NB, I use this (and used Finish Line) on several bikes so no, it isn't just one squeaky chain! ;)
Performance is fair so that means 2 chillis.
When I run out I'll buy some more FL or try something else maybe. Had no probs w the FL, only tried this in the hope it might be better still. It wasn't. At least not for Alberta conditions.

Similar Products Used:   Finish Line Wax Lube

Bike Setup:   Several

Submitted by Cal C. a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, NV

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2010

Strengths:    Chain stays very clean in this hot and dry climate.

Weaknesses:    I tend to clean and lube at 300 mile intervals.

Bottom Line:
This is an very nice product for this desert inferno climate. Make sure your chain is clean of solvent before applying this product. I use an air compressor to blow out any left over solvent and re-wipe and this makes a big difference! Don't be dyslexic, read the directions and you should have no problem with White Lightning. My chain stays clean and quiet between cleaning intervals.

Favorite Trail:   River Mountain, Red Rock

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Trek Road

Submitted by dnagoda@comcast.net a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, az 85737

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2010

Strengths:    Clean

Bottom Line:
It is interesting to read those that have not had good luck with this product. Following instructions is important, lucky that it wasn't labeled "Not To Be Taken As A Suppository".

I have used this product for over a decade, it rocks. I ride on the road, both paved and dirt and in Arizona we don't get much rain. I lube my chain about every month, that is about 500 miles, if I'm not touring. I have 3500 miles on this chain and it is still less than .75% stretched.

If you lube too much you get build up. You MUST follow the instructions and clean the old lube off first! Then use sparingly and wipe off excess. Other than that you just ride and stay clean. If anyone tells you that this product doesn’t live up to its reputation you can be sure they cannot read and follow instructions.

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Trek 520

Submitted by creekchubb a Cross Country Rider from Omaha, Ne

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2010

Strengths:    It is cheaper than the good stuff. you get really good at lubing your chain because you get alot of practice.

Weaknesses:    only lasts 15 miles, and you go through alot

Bottom Line:
this lube dosent last very long at all. I have to lube the chain every time I ride. I have used other lubes , and they last 50 plus miles. I removed the chain, and cleaned it completly, and still it only lasts 15-20 miles before the chain starts making noise. My buddy uses the same type, and he has the same results.

Favorite Trail:   Swanson, lewis and clark etc

Similar Products Used:   purple extreme works much better

Bike Setup:   niner mcr,

Submitted by Gary Callaway a Racer from Coarsegold, CA

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2008

Strengths:    Makes chain maint a breeze. Long chain life. Not messy.

Weaknesses:    Great for off-road. Other lubes last longer for roadies.

Bottom Line:
As other reviewers have said: Clean the original oil based lube from your chain COMPLETELY with solvent. Shake WELL, apply and let dry. That's all. It works great. I've used it for 6 yrs+.

Sheds dirt, grit, and grime. Aside from applying this lube between every ride, the only maint my chain requires is an occasion wipe down with a rag.

My chains don't stretch, kink, or break. Pedaling is silent and shifts are positive.

Did a XC race in sandy soil during a rainstorm for 2 hrs and 40 mins. Had NO problems. Almost everyone else complained of chain suck and a host of other maladies but I just went on my merry way.

I'm sticking with it.

Favorite Trail:   Squaws Leap/Sky Harbor

Purchased At:   Steven's/Tri-sport/P

Similar Products Used:   Rock and Roll (on road bike)

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic

Submitted by gdlals a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2008

Strengths:    Little to no cleaning, keeps the rest of the drivetrain completely clean. Works better in mud/water than advertised.

Weaknesses:    You do need to apply it the night before because it needs to dry completely

Bottom Line:
In Guadalajara Mexico we have torrential rains during the summmer but it is basically volcanic soil. Winter is bone dry and dusty. White Lightning is perfect. The only drawback is you have to wipe down the chain after every ride and reapply the night before the next ride.

Similar Products Used:   Finish Line, Park Tool, Pedros

Bike Setup:   Woodstock 505, SRAM components

Submitted by natestar a Cross Country Rider from Omaha, NE

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2008

Strengths:    Does not get turn your pant legs black

Weaknesses:    Does not last

Bottom Line:
This lube is not a very economical purchase. It wears off within days in the summer, and within miles in the winter.

I was attracted to it because it did not mark up my pant legs on my commute, but constintly reapplying was a bigger hassle then rolling my pant leg up.

Favorite Trail:   Platte River SP

Purchased At:   Highline Trek Store

Similar Products Used:   Prolink Chain Lube, Phil Wood T Oil

Bike Setup:   5 Spot, Talas rlc

Submitted by daleksic a Weekend Warrior from Kissimmee, Florida

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2008

Strengths:    Easy to use, works well.

Weaknesses:    Need to apply - very often.

Bottom Line:
It seems to work very well, doesn't make a mess and even if there's a little on there, can be washed of, usually even without degreaser.

Follow the directions to the T. I first applied it to a factory lubricated chain and it turned into a mess. Then after I degreased the factory lube from the chain i kept putting it on and then letting it dry, made a big mess as well. My old drivetrain lasted on this about 400 miles.

Now with a complete new drivetrain I got a new start:

First degrease the factory lube.
Second, Apply lube to chain, work it in and then immediatelly wipe it of.
Third, Let dry for at least 20 minutes.

I usually put it on after cleaning (coming back from a ride), and then again before loading the bike into the car. By the time I arrive at the trail its nice and dry. On long paved trail trips, I usually apply some at the half way point before the return (around 30 miles or so).

This product is no good in very wet and muddy conditions. On long trips, make sure you got a bottle with you. I'm looking for something better but every LBS recommends this stuff right here. 4/5 for the extremely low mileage on my original drivetrain. Let's see what i get with this new set.

Favorite Trail:   Santos, Ocala

Purchased At:   BikeWorks

Bike Setup:   8-speed drivetrain

Submitted by Frs1661 a Cross Country Rider from Rochester

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2008

Strengths:    Great lubrication, no mess.

Bottom Line:
Used this forever without any complaints. If you let it dry before riding as they suggest it hardly attracts any dirt. Have had little reason to degrease my chain as long as I run this stuff.

Similar Products Used:   Finish Line Cross Country Wet lube (The green one)

Submitted by Fred Norrick a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2007

Strengths:    no stains, seems to work just fine

Weaknesses:    frequent re-application- usually before and after ride

Bottom Line:
I avoid extreme conditions(weather/dust/sand) but have ridden all over the country in various conditions- seaside, desert, rain forest, marshy, forest single-track, fire/utility/logging roads, sand, clay, loamy soils, grass..... I have used this product to help protect nearly every component. I think the longevity of the components is a testament

Keep it clean, tuned and lubed = NO PROBLEMS. NO MESS.

Occasional trail side cleaning with brush and re-application to drive-train in extreme conditions. I keep a Park tool cassette brush and small bottle of White Lightning in pack.

NO MESSY grease/oil.... cleans up well.

5 Flamin' Chilis on value for small amount needed, protection of parts.

4 Flamin' Chilis for overall rating because I'm sure there are better products for particular environments or components... I haven't tested them in comparison

Favorite Trail:   many- singletrack mostly

Purchased At:   various LBS/web

Similar Products Used:   none-I have used this since I bought the bike new, cleaned off the heavy grease with the park tools chain cleaner and simple green

Bike Setup:   Klein Mantra-stock drive-train Sugino cranks/chainrings, 8spd shimano sti, stock chain...
Just upgraded to 9spd XTR/XT, Sram cassette/chain after 10 years basically because of a broken front derailleur!!!- no abusive riding... ONLY FLOW!

Submitted by Bill Bass from Medicine Hat, Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2007

Strengths:    Good and clean, eliminates squeaks.

Weaknesses:    Gets a little gunky if you don't clean it off every now and then.

Bottom Line:
Great lube. I have tried lots and have always come back to this one. I wish it came in a spray bottel though. I would like that. But other than that it is great. Here is a tip...when you get down to the bottem of the bottle, throw it out, don't try and use the last little bit because you will cover your chain with this thick heavy wax which is a pain to clean off.

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop