White Lightning Epic Lube Lube

2.7/5 (10 Reviews)

Epic is a durable lubricant that provides super smooth and noticeably quieter shifting. Like Original White Lightning, Epic is a non-oil lubricant.

Submitted by Csaba a Weekend Warrior from Columbia, SC

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2008

Strengths:    maybe rust prevention

Weaknesses:    attracts dirt and sand like motor oil

Bottom Line:
I am new to road cycling. I used the regular wax based white lightning for mountain biking (which I really liked), so I though this would be fine for road cycling, but an amazing amount of sand is getting on my chain. My chain is worn out after only 800 kms. If you ride in dusty or sandy environment, this will not work for you. It might work in very humid and rainy places.

Purchased At:   Harrell's Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   regular white lightning, motor oil

Bike Setup:   Scott Speedster S60

Submitted by Finch Platte a Cross Country Rider from NorCali

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2008

Strengths:    Chain runs clean, cleans chain (& other stuff) w/out gunking up. Does NOT attract dirt, IMO. You can apply it just before the big ride, and wipe it off or not. I've applied the lube to other riders' chain when they don't have any, and it won't gunk up their chains- it seems to work just fine. I also use it on my fork stanchions, because it doesn't attract dirt.

End of the ride, wipe off the dust on your chain (compare to other rider's chains & see whose is cleaner, and whose cleans up easier. Yours, right?

Weaknesses:    Not a wet weather lube. But if you do use it in the wet, you can apply it during the ride & it will work just fine. It's a pretty thin lube.

Bottom Line:
Wow. I really thought I'd see more positive reviews for WL's Epic lube. I've been using it for years, and am extremely happy w/ the performance.

Dropped the value rating because as one reviewer says, "why is lube so expensive??" It's usually around $8 a bottle, so I wait for it to go on sale. A bottle should last a couple of months, unless you ride every day.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Tahoe

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   T-9, Pedro's, other WL waxy lubes, etc.

Bike Setup:   SRAM chain, Shimano shifters.

Submitted by Richard Doogan a Cross Country Rider from Wokingham, Berkshire, UK

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2007

Strengths:    Very smooth even if you crank down the gears whilst pushing up a hill.
Lasts well in bad weather conditions.
Good price (6 of my English Pounds).
You can use it to clean the mech too (but that's probably an expensive way to do it).

Weaknesses:    Picks up dirt/dust very easily and then you have to fully clean it up before you ride again.

Bottom Line:
In clean conditions it lasts well and stays on in rain/snow. In summer on dusty trails it soon turns into a sticky mess. If it's not too dirty you can just re-apply without having to clean the bike up, useful when you're on an all-weekender.

If you ride on the road a lot, then you'll love it. If you ride loose dusty tracks, then you'll hate it.

Purchased At:   wiggle.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Purple Extreme

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC Composite One.

Submitted by JP a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2007

Strengths:    Seems to last a long time. Cleans chain better than Prolink.

Weaknesses:    Smells toxic - probably bad for the environment.

Bottom Line:
Works fine to me. I ride on dry-sandy trails, and it picks up dirt like any other 'clean' lube. But it lasts longer than the King of Lubes crap, and it seems to be smoother than Prolink. I've never really been satisfied by lubes that claim to keep your chain clean. This one is no different.

Why is lube so expensive?

Favorite Trail:   The Flames of Mt. Buggary

Purchased At:   Epic cycles

Similar Products Used:   Prolink, King of Lubes

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Meteore Comp 05

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Kelowna, BC

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2007

Strengths:    Comes in a nice bottle

Weaknesses:    This stuff is a dirt magnet. Can't get 100Km on a road bike much less a day on my mtn. bike without the chain looking like a sasquatch's beard

Bottom Line:
Look elsewhere for your lube needs.

Purchased At:   MEC

Similar Products Used:   White Lightning dry lube

Bike Setup:   Kona Bear DL; Cannondale 6/13

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Cleveland Ohio

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2007

Strengths:    Absolutely none unless you like using what is left in the bottle to clean your chain with sticks so that you can make it home. My bike had the worse chain suck I have ever seen. It was like I was using a wide 7 speed chain on a narrow 9. That bad. I guess you could use it on your cables but they would probably start grinding like sand, then proceed to break on a huge downhill.

Weaknesses:    Mostly everything. I used it on 10+ bikes of every riding style because I though it was me, or my bike, etc. with the exact same results. Even on a road bike every piece of dirt on the road sticks to your chain. It wasn't me. I tried a new chain and solvent cleaned it. No luck. Used on a few buddies bikes and they were very angry at me for putting it on there expensive drivetrains after a few miles. White lightning's regular lube is great. This is horrible. I had to stop on the side of my favorite trail (road every weekend twice, 20 miles) and clean my chain every couple miles to make it home after I road through some mud and water about 3 inches deep. This stuff is scarrrryy... If I was going downhill at the time it would have been bad. This product was sucking my sproket so bad that I may have slipped the chain and wrecked. Seriously not good, I hit 30-40mph down some hills here.

Bottom Line:
Deserves no flammin chilli... I ride a lot as I work from home. The weather here in Cleveland changes a lot and I need a lube that works in all conditions. Getting to the trail, riding home, running errands, etc. This lube does none of this unless you like messing around with it every 2 miles and cleaning a natural f$%king disaster from your cogs and chain. Yes, it is that bad. I normally don't review anything but this lube is that bad and angers me so much because it has ruined my day of riding a few times that I am writting this. Go buy Rock n Roll and spend your time riding. I clean my chain 1 time a week with RnR and it is still almost clean after mud, dirt, dust and water.

Favorite Trail:   Anything offroad

Purchased At:   jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Rock n' Roll (awesomely amazing I average 2mph better with this lube!!), Mobil 1 5w30(best for cables), Tetra gun lube($$$), Original White Lightning and many many others but those are my favorites in order...

Bike Setup:   Complete custom mig/tig aluminum frame with a few months of pay invested. Custom or best of everything. Enough said.

Submitted by Neil a Weekend Warrior from Janesville

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2006

Strengths:    Works great in wet weather!!

Weaknesses:    Picks up too much dust and dirt...wait if there is dust it is not wet refer to product strengths. (above)

Bottom Line:
This is a great lube in wet conditions. Many people don't like it when they use it on a dry trail. I know it is tough to set up the bike different for wet and dry but you change the tires, so either apply some lube before getting muddy, or wipe it off and put on some White Lightning dry lube before a dry ride.

Similar Products Used:   tri-flow

Bike Setup:   NRS with X.0

Submitted by Matt N.......... a Racer from Orange County

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2005

Strengths:    more water resistant

Weaknesses:    collects way to much dirt. After doing a 3o mile even in trabuco canyon my drive traine was full of dirt because i replied it a couple because of mutilble stream crossings. AT the end i head terribel chain suck.

Bottom Line:
Buy regular wl this stuff attracts way to much dirt.

Favorite Trail:   santigao truck trail

Purchased At:   Rock n road

Similar Products Used:   ice wax regualr wl

Bike Setup:   04 tassajra candy c pedals titus bars..........

Submitted by Gerald Badoz a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2005

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Attracts sand and dirt!!!! Wet lube.

Bottom Line:
I tried it out this weekend and by the time I rode one mile, I could hear the sand grinding away my chain. My drive train was caked black and nasty. I never experienced that with the regular White Lighting; which is GREAT!!!
The weakness of this product for my application is that its a wet lube and riding in sandy conditions just cakes the chain with sand. I thought the EPIC lube was the same formula as the regular White Lighting; dry lube.

Favorite Trail:   Jones Trail